NEW VIDEO! Popular Song ft. Ariana Grande

dcdeb

Ok this is like my 4th listening and I can't stop laughing. I just realised that when Mika is driving, he moves the wheel from right to left but the car still goes straight. :aah:

I love this vid, very funny and creepy. Mika looks awesome and I love how he is a double face. :teehee: It's kinda scary.

I wish it'll put Mika on the map in the US. And maybe in Canada too ! :blush-anim-cl:

I saw this posted on Facebook this morning, watched it and was so totally blown away. I LOVE it! Love, love, love it. :wub2:

I realise I wasn't around for the apparent dissension about this version of the song (didn't even know about it) and maybe for me I have a different experience as I've heard the song for the first time while watching the video clip (possible enhancing effect, yes?) but I really like this version. It works well with the vid and Ariana is gorgeous. Yeah, this video is something special.

I have to disagree with everyone who's going on about Mika being a great actor though. Now wait, I'm not dissing his skills in this vid. I think he does a great job. But to say that that makes him a great actor overall and to compare him with Johnny Depp and claim Mika is anywhere near that level of talent, well, that's just... I want to say 'plain crazy' but I don't want to offend anyone. Perhaps I could instead say that I think people are looking at him through rose tinted 'fan' glasses? :mikacool:

^ Not only that, but between this and Underwater, I just don't know if I can handle this era of ridiculously photogenic curls.

I have so missed the heavily styled curls of years gone. They are a definite plus for me in this vid! :teehee:

One last thing. About the product placement? I don't even notice it. Maybe I'm not very susceptible to stuff like that but all I noticed was that there was a car in the vid and that Mika wore a watch and used a phone. No idea what type, didn't notice, didn't care, didn't plan to try checking them out. But now that you've all mentioned it, I know exactly what they are :sneaky2:

Watching it again (how can I not?) and I have to say that I don't think the girl who's supposed to be the popular one is a patch on Ariana. She does look a little bit like Heather Graham though and made me think of 'Teenage Dirtbag' by Wheatus. Although at least in that vid she has a change of heart and does end up with our protaganist, Jason Biggs.

thanks for the screenshots eriko! bit large, but i love it to see the details that i didn't notice in the video. like the product placements for sony and swatch, both in one shot! :lmao: or the stuff that is written on the whiteboard and the other background things. :thumb_yello:

I giggled to myself when I realised what was on the chalkboard... Obviously someone's been paying attention in Science :fisch:

I am not a fan of Tim Burton but the dinner scene reminds me so much of Rocky Horror.

Now that you mention it, it does!

Actually, there's a girl to the right of the screen chewing chewing gum when Mika's books get hit out of his hands and she reminds me of Magenta...

I have so missed the heavily styled curls of years gone. They are a definite plus for me in this vid! :teehee:

One last thing. About the product placement? I don't even notice it. Maybe I'm not very susceptible to stuff like that but all I noticed was that there was a car in the vid and that Mika wore a watch and used a phone. No idea what type, didn't notice, didn't care, didn't plan to try checking them out. But now that you've all mentioned it, I know exactly what they are :sneaky2:

They're not quite granny curls, but at least he's a bit styled...

I noticed the stuff and saw brands but didn't really think of it as product placement. It's more a coincidental thing that they're shown. What could he have done to not show the brands, blur them out?

I have to disagree with everyone who's going on about Mika being a great actor though. Now wait, I'm not dissing his skills in this vid. I think he does a great job. But to say that that makes him a great actor overall and to compare him with Johnny Depp and claim Mika is anywhere near that level of talent, well, that's just... I want to say 'plain crazy' but I don't want to offend anyone. Perhaps I could instead say that I think people are looking at him through rose tinted 'fan' glasses? :mikacool:

I super agree with all above notes. :teehee:

I didn't notice what car it was either, that shot just bothers me because it's so overly computerized.

Actually, there's a girl to the right of the screen chewing chewing gum when Mika's books get hit out of his hands and she reminds me of Magenta...

Ariana reminds me of Magenta, especially at the beginning of the dinner scene when she sweeps her arm invitingly in front of the camera. I mean she doesn't look like her obviously but she just seems like that kind of character.

I noticed the stuff and saw brands but didn't really think of it as product placement. It's more a coincidental thing that they're shown. What could he have done to not show the brands, blur them out?

Seriously??

The video comes to a screeching halt to advertise the car. There is no segue whatsoever. The music stops completely. And Mika speaks the name of the car out loud. It would have been only slightly more obvious if they'd had a voiceover "We interrupt this program with a word from our sponsors. Take it away Mika!!" :aah:

I don't think it's a lucky coincidence that the cover screenshot for the video on YouTube is a shot of the car either. I'm sure it was intentional. I wouldn't be surprised if Mini ties the song into their advertising as well.

Ariana reminds me of Magenta, especially at the beginning of the dinner scene when she sweeps her arm invitingly in front of the camera. I mean she doesn't look like her obviously but she just seems like that kind of character.

Seriously??

The video comes to a screeching halt to advertise the car. There is no segue whatsoever. The music stops completely. And Mika speaks the name of the car out loud. It would have been only slightly more obvious if they'd had a voiceover "We interrupt this program with a word from our sponsors. Take it away Mika!!" :aah:

I don't think it's a lucky coincidence that the cover screenshot for the video on YouTube is a shot of the car either. I'm sure it was intentional. I wouldn't be surprised if Mini ties the song into their advertising as well.

Well that just goes to show how much my brain doesn't work. When Mika called the car 'Coop', I just thought it was some kind of invented nickname. Maybe if I'd realised that it was a Mini I might have put two and two together...

EDIT: Actually, I still probably wouldn't have got it. I just don't notice stuff like that.

Seriously??

Right, that was obvious, and even when the swatch watch shows up the image takes longer than it should on it...

And the same happens for the sony...

But the same happens forme as it happens with chicadee, i just noticed this after i read it on the thread...

I dont go along with brands that much...

Well that just goes to show how much my brain doesn't work. When Mika called the car 'Coop', I just thought it was some kind of invented nickname. Maybe if I'd realised that it was a Mini I might have put two and two together...

Like Kit, uh? :lmao:

I thought the same before reading it here too....:doh:

EDIT: Actually, I still probably wouldn't have got it. I just don't notice stuff like that.

We are two then because I didn't get that Coop was not a nickname until you said it. :teehee:

Product placement doesn't work on me. :aah: But the car's part was even more obvious than the Franklin & Marshall placement in Underwater. :fisch:

Edited by Alie

Seriously??

The product placement, or the car being there itself isn't the sole element that makes that shot so bizarre, though. Many things are going into the weird feeling about it.

It's the only shot that is completely vfx. Like you said, they stop the entire song for that shot. It's completely unnecessary as a shot. Mika says "we have a dinner for some very special guests" but we all already know this information based on the text. Dinner party 11pm.

If Mika and Ariana had simply gotten in the car and driven away, the product placement would still be there and it would be 1000 times less noticeable, and less revoltingly forced.

The problem lies in the method of which they presented it, not the product placement in and of itself. I have little care that he even says Coop. It's a talking car. In a completely green-screened world. And we stopped the song for it to tell me information I already know. It's a visual disaster whether the car is a specific brand or not.

I agree that you probably have to have a cynical eye to pay much attention to the watch. But when the music stops and Mika can barely be seen because the car is so far in the foreground I find it incredibly difficult to ignore. They weren't even attempting to be subtle. I really think it was intentional to bang people over the head with it.

To Science, maybe...

But not Maths...:mf_rosetinted:

Nor Biology...:mf_rosetinted:

168816_10200543919112440_1291627711_n.jpg

:shocked:

He's got a picture of the flux capacitor on the chalkboard!

Seriously??

I can see that. Maybe she needs to say "Master, dinner is prepared!" just like Magenta does in RHPS.

Sorry, but all I have to say to what you said is "... and?".

I don't see how it's such a big deal. If he's getting paid to have a talking Mini feature in his video, then fine. Yeah it's a little jarring that they stop the music and Mika's talking to the car like the Hoff talking to KITT, bit I didn't find it that bad. Honestly, I laughed at it cause it was a little silly. I didn't see it specifically as product placement at first, which you're totally entitled to diagree with. Of course I would be distracted if they said (as you put it): "We interrupt this program with a word from our sponsors. Take it away Mika!!"

All this talk about product placement is reminding me of this part of Wayne's World:

[YOUTUBE]8lgLYGBbDNs[/YOUTUBE]

Like Kit, uh? :lmao:

I thought the same before reading it here too....:doh:

So there's two of us...

We are two then because I didn't get that Coop was not a nickname until you said it. :teehee:

And that makes three. I'm glad I'm not the only one then :lmfao:

The product placement, or the car being there itself isn't the sole element that makes that shot so bizarre, though. Many things are going into the weird feeling about it.

It's the only shot that is completely vfx. Like you said, they stop the entire song for that shot. It's completely unnecessary as a shot. Mika says "we have a dinner for some very special guests" but we all already know this information based on the text. Dinner party 11pm.

If Mika and Ariana had simply gotten in the car and driven away, the product placement would still be there and it would be 1000 times less noticeable, and less revoltingly forced.

The problem lies in the method of which they presented it, not the product placement in and of itself. I have little care that he even says Coop. It's a talking car. In a completely green-screened world. And we stopped the song for it to tell me information I already know. It's a visual disaster whether the car is a specific brand or not.

I appreciate what you say about the car giving unnecessary information but for me it was completely necessary. The first time I watched it, I was on Facebook. The box for the clip to play in was small. Consequently, I couldn't read what was on the phone and didn't even get that that was important. I thought he was just acting like a teen and texting someone, which I thought was an unnecessary piece of characterization, lol.

You know what I have noticed, watching it for the umpteenth time? It's awful light outside that kitchen window considering it's 10:59 at night when Mika looks at his watch... :teehee: Maybe it's set at the North Pole? :naughty:

Sorry, but all I have to say to what you said is "... and?".

I don't see how it's such a big deal.

I didn't say it was a big deal. But you seemed to be saying it was just a coincidence and it couldn't be helped (?) when it is clearly product placement.

All this talk about product placement is reminding me of this part of Wayne's World:

[YOUTUBE]8lgLYGBbDNs[/YOUTUBE]

:lmao: Classic.

Mike Myers grew up in my hometown. Wayne's World is the (sad) story of my teenage years. There was even a real bar called the Gasworks.

I didn't say it was a big deal. But you seemed to be saying it was just a coincidence and it couldn't be helped (?) when it is clearly product placement.

:lmao: Classic.

Mike Myers grew up in my hometown. Wayne's World is the (sad) story of my teenage years. There was even a real bar called the Gasworks.

To me it was a coincidence. Doesn't matter anyway, just saying what I thought.

Mike Myers is awesome in that movie... I always feel the need to head bang along with them when they're driving around listening to Bohemian Rhapsody.

So there's two of us...

And that makes three. I'm glad I'm not the only one then :lmfao:

Four. I know nothing about cars. :aah: But if Mini Cooper paid to bring me this magnificent video, then they have my everlasting gratitude!