The bad thing about it , for me, is that Mika got involved somehow. I`d like to keep him away from these ugly stories.

Mika getting involved to defend his own fan club and his own team of people who work with him is not a bad thing at all. His own image was getting a bad reputation because of this.

Actually, too bad it didn't happen sooner. You know, kick it in the butt before it goes anywhere? :naughty:

I do agree that the timing could have been better, when he isn't as busy as he is at the moment.

He isn't the only artist who had to get mixed up with fans. i think Katy Perry did (Ingie, correct me if i'm wrong) & another band had to do the same thing last week on Facebook. I guess it goes with the territory of fame :blush-anim-cl:

Mika getting involved to defend his own fan club and his own team of people who work with him is not a bad thing at all. His own image was getting a bad reputation because of this.

Actually, too bad it didn't happen sooner. You know, kick it in the butt before it goes anywhere? :naughty:

I do agree that the timing could have been better, when he isn't as busy as he is at the moment.

He isn't the only artist who had to get mixed up with fans. i think Katy Perry did (Ingie, correct me if i'm wrong) & another band had to do the same thing last week on Facebook. I guess it goes with the territory of fame :blush-anim-cl:

Yes, I agree with you and Christine, as I already said in my post here. He did it right, and his reaction is absolutely fair. What I meant - is about emotional side of this, because he`s a human. But, sure, Mika made his best.

As far as I know, other fandoms have far more fierce battles((

Example also posted a long rant recently about not tolerating abuse on Twitter and FB. Is it going to completely eliminate this kind of behaviour? Not likely. Is it going to control it to some degree? That is certainly the hope. But one thing is for sure - doing nothing only permits the situation to escalate. We've seen this inside and outside of MFC.

My two cents:

It's swings and roundabouts on the MFC. Not because of any bullying (which I've never seen, read, or experienced) but because we are a fan forum with passionate opinions, which are often, polar-opposites of someone else's opinion.

For example: A while back we had those discussions about Mika in X Factor Italy. Some with valid disappointment that the rebel who sang GK, had gone into a reality TV talent show

some, like me, had the opinion that he can do what he likes to get himself back on top where he belongs.

So we had discussions that got quite heated, and I must admit, I did start to think MFC was not the place it used to be. But now I'm glad I stuck around, because once the dust settled on the discussion and we saw, and heard, why Mika took the decision he did, I believe we all started to enjoy his X Factor experience, no matter what we may have felt at first.

But things like that do happen in any fan community. I've been in fan clubs in the past, usually about TV shows like Star Trek, and fans get heated about that as well. Even though Star Trek isn't even real!

So there will be times when we disagree, but even when we do, it happens because we all want the best for Mika. We just, maybe, have different ideas about how he should manage his career, and because our feelings for him are so strong, we might say something that upsets someone else.

I think that's probably what has happened, in the case of some of the people causing trouble.

But the only one who really upsets me, is B27 on twitter. KODES100 often posts Mika videos on the timeline, so he or she is acting like a fan and may just have had an experience on MFC, that he or she felt was bad. But B27 is twisted and evil, only going on twitter to continually slag us off and call us terrible names, even though there is no call for he or she to do so!

So that's my opinion. I really hope, for Mika's sake, it can all be resolved eventually.

So good for Mika for getting involved, even though it's a shame he had to.

I've only just seen Mika's facebook post. Is he referring to the MFC or more generally to ill willed people who post on social sites?

He's talking about stuff that was happening on Twitter and was directed at MFCers.

Sadly, I have been so crazy busy with work that I haven't had much time to have fun with my new friends here or on Twitter. I saw Mika's post from FB that was on Twitter, but I had no clue what had happened. After reading this thread, I have a better understanding of what may have occurred.

I thought it awesome of Mika to get involved. If anyone knows what true bullying can do, it's him. And for him to stand up and demand a certain level of public decorum is pretty outstanding. It's just another reason why I absolutely love his music and will always support him and the great people I've met here.

Sorry, but I can't concentrate on your lines, blame it on your signature... :hypo:

I don't blame you! I think i should just start going round threads and hypnotising people..... :hypo:

I agree with you! :huglove:

i saw somewhere... some confession site this young girl writing that the oldlings on MFC had bullied her. she was not precise about what happened and the story behind the bullying. I was quite surprised, seeing that oldlings thread is where lots of younger members find their "motherly love" on the forum at some time or another.

after looking things up, i realized that it was the same girl who had called a mod horrible names a few months earlier, because we didn't allow a post with very explicit sexual content.

i have to assume that this was the bullying she was referring to... a deleted post and a pm :dunno:

I got caught up in this argument on tumblr... i tried to defend MFC but she was having none of it and spewed abuse at me in a post so i gave up and never replied cos she wasn't worth it... i was shown by a mod the evidence of the reasons you have given above and honestly it made me a little scared. All i saw from the mods and other MFC members was them trying to calm her down and reason with her but again she was having none of it. There was certainly no bullying from members but plenty of name-calling etc from her... also because of arguing via internet some of the things i said were taken wrongly and she turned one of the people i was quite friendly with on tumblr against me :sad:

:thumb_yello:

Yes, for several days. Where have you been hiding this week woman??

Not everyone is going to love MFC and I have no problem with that. I have been to forums where I didn't feel at home either. But I also found it sad to realize that so many people out there are talking this way because someone has been purposely feeding them misinformation.

Thanks! Even though it's my first language sometimes i feel i haven't got a hold on it and it's good to get a thumbs up sometimes :blush-anim-cl:

That reply made me giggle xD

I explained to girl on twitter about what had happened and she said the MFC was not for her but she understands that some people like it and that's all we said. We didn't need any name calling, no 'I'm better/a better fan than you'... :dunno:

Where should I start? Lots of people have posted very similar points of view to me on here, but I'd just like to add mine.

More than ever before, cyber bullying is becoming a serious issue. The fact that it's a very new form of bullying doesn't help matters, but the main horrible thing about cyber bullying is that there is no escaping it. If you are bullied at school (and I was), at least you can have home as your refuge. Cyberbullying just carries on, wherever you are, whatever the time. A significant difference between electronic communication and real-life interaction is the lack of emotion conveyed by text. Gently teasing comments can so easily be interpreted the wrong way, and it's virtually impossible to tell if somebody is getting upset. Often people write things that they would never dream of saying to someone's face, because it can be done without really thinking about the other person's feelings. Sadly, so many instances of nasty cyberbullying do not end happily, and has tragic effects on its victims and people surrounding them. This happened at my old school, and is much too common.

I have very valid reasons for staying off social networking sites (the MFC is as far as I get), yet still manage to have an active social life (I speak, phone, text and email). About a year ago, somebody famous wrote an article saying we should be suspicious of anyone without a Facebook account. This is so frustrating as my reasons for staying off it are precisely the opposite of being the psychopathic axe-murderer that the article made me and fellow non-Facebook users out to be!

It's very sad that mika has pointed towards his fan base as a culprit of cyberbullying. Call me naive, but I have never experienced or seen cyberbullying take place on the MFC, despite being involved in some of those 'heated discussions' people are mentioning. I class these discussions as debates rather than bullying, and find it important not to get too emotionally involved in the arguments. Then again, the line between fierce debate and upsetting people can so easily become blurred online. So everybody, just be careful! Cyberbullying is a very nasty thing ,so don't let Mika or anyone else think that the MFC are involved in it. If you are in any doubt that a post might cause offence, it's probably best to err on the side of caution and not post it at all.

Where should I start? Lots of people have posted very similar points of view to me on here, but I'd just like to add mine.

More than ever before, cyber bullying is becoming a serious issue. The fact that it's a very new form of bullying doesn't help matters, but the main horrible thing about cyber bullying is that there is no escaping it. If you are bullied at school (and I was), at least you can have home as your refuge. Cyberbullying just carries on, wherever you are, whatever the time. A significant difference between electronic communication and real-life interaction is the lack of emotion conveyed by text. Gently teasing comments can so easily be interpreted the wrong way, and it's virtually impossible to tell if somebody is getting upset. Often people write things that they would never dream of saying to someone's face, because it can be done without really thinking about the other person's feelings. Sadly, so many instances of nasty cyberbullying do not end happily, and has tragic effects on its victims and people surrounding them. This happened at my old school, and is much too common.

I have very valid reasons for staying off social networking sites (the MFC is as far as I get), yet still manage to have an active social life (I speak, phone, text and email). About a year ago, somebody famous wrote an article saying we should be suspicious of anyone without a Facebook account. This is so frustrating as my reasons for staying off it are precisely the opposite of being the psychopathic axe-murderer that the article made me and fellow non-Facebook users out to be!

It's very sad that mika has pointed towards his fan base as a culprit of cyberbullying. Call me naive, but I have never experienced or seen cyberbullying take place on the MFC, despite being involved in some of those 'heated discussions' people are mentioning. I class these discussions as debates rather than bullying, and find it important not to get too emotionally involved in the arguments. Then again, the line between fierce debate and upsetting people can so easily become blurred online. So everybody, just be careful! Cyberbullying is a very nasty thing ,so don't let Mika or anyone else think that the MFC are involved in it. If you are in any doubt that a post might cause offence, it's probably best to err on the side of caution and not post it at all.

thanks for this post :thumb_yello:

I agree, and I don't have facebook. I have a twitter now, that's mainly for my business, but I do follow Mika with it, and sometimes talk to fans.

Like you, I just can't be bothered with Social Networking, it isn't worth the hassle.

But I think the lesson we can all take away is just to be careful what we post (as you have said) we should remember that not everyone speaks English as fluently as someone from a country where it's our first language, so something that, to us, is just a joke, can be misunderstood by someone who doesn't speak English as well as others.

That's why I love Wonkaland. Because we can go on that thread, have fun and no one takes it wrong, because it is a lighthearted thread. But on the threads that are public, I think we all should remember we are ambassadors of Mika, and just think, before we post.

@Ellenowl great post and you have a good point about always trying to double-check a cyber person's id with sone real life reference before trusting them on anything :thumb_yello:

That's why I love Wonkaland. Because we can go on that thread, have fun and no one takes it wrong, because it is a lighthearted thread. But on the threads that are public, I think we all should remember we are ambassadors of Mika, and just think, before we post.

well, no, I most certainly am not an ambassador for him :teehee: and this may be a point where most arguments start and also the point where the worlds of most 'early fans' vs more recent fans clash - even if more recent means those finding the forum only a year later when the novelty was gone and he was already mainstream. It is not about some members feeling 'more of a fan' than others (an argument I heard a few times) but the fact that this community started with a reputation that it collected a bunch of witty, honest and outspoken people who were passionate about what Mika represented in the music scene in 2007 and even criticized him if they felt it was needed. Most of these members have left the forum already but there is no way the remaining of them are ever going to accept arguments like we always need to 'approve' or support anything this popstar does .

Therefore, I don't think anyone needs to be 'careful' about their opinion, even if they disagree with some of Mika's actions or don't like some of his songs or performances. As Mika once said, "MFC is f...fierce " and he obviously loves / loved it and most certainly did not mean the careful nature of supportive love you messages posted. So, if we just simply keep in mind that ALL people visiting this forum appreciate Mika and want the best for him, and also the fact that a differing opinion does not mean hatred, we should be fine.:original:

Edited by suzie

I think heated conversations and discussions are widely accepted from everyone.

What we need to point out here, is that this is not bullying. If I argue with a fan here and we express our opinions and I even criticise yours, this is not bullying, is arguing.

Bullying start when, out of here, I start spamning the internet with bad words about you, I spread false info about you, I leave comments on every site or social media about you,, I even start stalking your professional accounts and your real life stuff. This is ciber-bullying, and something who may even cause you to commit suicide. It happens among young people, for instance, when they set up class groups or school groups.

I can argue here, even feel offended by someone else's posts, but this is NOT bullying.

If being reminded politely to follow the established rules is bullying, then HELP HELP I'm being repressed!

I love this place. I'm not a loud sort, I keep to myself mostly, but I have always, always felt welcome when i DO open my mouth. And no, I don't toe the party line on a lot of things. But I've never been made to feel like a Lesser Fan because i didn't show up in 2007 or 2008, or because I've only been to X number of gigs instead of Y.

I reallly love this place. It's never been anything but supportive and kind. And I'm glad to be here.

As Nina mentioned in the head of the discussion I may have said the ass-licking thing but I apologised for that as it was not my intention and if necessary I will apologise again. At that point I was attacked from many sides on twitter plus the discussion here and it became too much. It wasn't about anyone in particular. I never intented to insult anyone and anyone who knows me here will know I can be quite outspoken. I would never insult anyone on purpose and Nina I hope you know that. I am not afraid to admit my mistakes.

But bullying is more than just saying something once. It went on for months, years even. We were called names every single day. Stalked every single day. Yes MFC has heated discussions and sonetimes things are said that we regret later. But I have never seen bullying on MFC. All the drama was on Twitter, youtube etc.

@Ellenowl great post and you have a good point about always trying to double-check a cyber person's id with sone real life reference before trusting them on anything :thumb_yello:

well, no, I most certainly am not an ambassador for him :teehee: and this may be a point where most arguments start and also the point where the worlds of most 'early fans' vs more recent fans clash - even if more recent means those finding the forum only a year later when the novelty was gone and he was already mainstream. It is not about some members feeling 'more of a fan' than others (an argument I heard a few times) but the fact that this community started with a reputation that it collected a bunch of witty, honest and outspoken people who were passionate about what Mika represented in the music scene in 2007 and even criticized him if they felt it was needed. Most of these members have left the forum already but there is no way the remaining of them are ever going to accept arguments like we always need to 'approve' or support anything this popstar does .

Therefore, I don't think anyone needs to be 'careful' about their opinion, even if they disagree with some of Mika's actions or don't like some of his songs or performances. As Mika once said, "MFC is f...fierce " and he obviously loves / loved it and most certainly did not mean the careful nature of supportive love you messages posted. So, if we just simply keep in mind that ALL people visiting this forum appreciate Mika and want the best for him, and also the fact that a differing opinion does not mean hatred, we should be fine.:original:

Amen. Our strongest asset is that we are all different and have different opinions. When you disagree with Mika that can be discussed but every fan should be respected for their opinion and not attacked. I saw a girl on twitter who was attacked by hundreds of Bieber fans because she said she was disappointed with her Bieber M&G only lasting a second. We should not have the desire to become like that. Unfortunately that almost happened with all the bullying.

Oh just saw this. Yeah Katy told a girl off who was spamming everybody and their mother that she should divorce Russell etc. Also some other cases but mostly behind the scenes. Katy's fandom is so huge though that it would be confusing if she did it public. In cases such as the girl she does post publicly on twitter.

Adam Lambert too has always been very vocal about harassment and telling people off.

Most of the celebs I follow on Twitter tell people off and I find the British ones in particular seem to relish in it. Ricky Gervais and Piers Morgan are publicly shaming and blocking people every single day. Fortunately Mika doesn't get negative attention from that many people on Twitter. But the half dozen or so troublemakers are absolutely relentless and when they don't get the attention they want from Mika they take it out on his fans. We are accessible and are more likely to feel affected by it.

I love when new fans join! Okay, now this is the sort of thing that almost made me leave a while back. People taking what I say, the wrong way. when I say "ambassadors of Mika", what I mean is that what we say on the forums reflects back onto Mika. Ambassador means, representative and whether we like it or not, we're representatives of his because we are his fanclub. I was simply meaning that we should be careful what we say It is NOT that I agree with everything he does, because I don't, and just because I joined in 2007, I don't think myself better than fans who joined last week. I'm excited when new fans join because it means more people are getting to know Mika, and what upsets me most on here is, people who have read my posts for years, should know that I'm fair, honest and kind, because they should know me by now.

Actually now I'm getting this off my chest, I might as well say that I've found the newer fans to be much more appreciative of my posts than the older ones. Some newer fans have said I'm really wise in what I write, and that my posts are insightful and balanced.

I used to go onto the Oldlings thread, but hardly anyone ever replied to me. I tried more than once, but in the end, gave up on it. Everyone on the thread was talking amongst themselves and not including me, so no, I don't go on there now, even though I'm one of the oldest people on this forum.

So no, I don't think I should have special treatment because I'm an older fan. I don't think I'm better than anyone else, and I don't always agree with Mika, but I do support him in his choices, but don't expect others to do the same if they don't want to. If that doesn't suit, then I really will leave, but I'd never say I was bullied. I'd just be sad that after all this time, no one has really got to know me, even though I've been on almost every day since 2007.

I'd just be sad that after all this time, no one has really got to know me, even though I've been on almost every day since 2007.

This sentence utterly broke my heart.

I am relatively new here, but hearing someone saying this after 7.800 post is really sad I think.

Just to make sure: I don't think this is bullying at all. But I do think that it is sad when someone is feeling left out after spending so much time on here.

I find it very brave that you are sharing your feelings so openly :huglove:

Unfortunately this has been going on for so long that they have been able to draw in younglings and other vulnerable people who don't know us in real life so I guess any online source is as credible as the next. Especially when they are acting kind and providing info and warding you off from "the nasties".

They are not just fictional characters but they've created a fictional world where they are THE Mika fandom and MFC is some small group of haters who have fallen out of favour with Mika. I saw 15 year olds having full blown meltdowns when they realized that Mika owned MFC and that Mika was following dcdeb. Their have been told such a pack of lies by people old enough to be their grandparents it shocks even me.

When I thought this was just a bit of trolling to stir up trouble and a personal vendetta against a few MFCers I tried to ignore it but as Guylaine says this is hurting Mika and innocent younglings are being lied to and manipulated. My favourite part of Mika's post is that people who do this are no fans of his. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I didn't realise it had gotten this bad ... I do go on twitter etc but must have missed most of this - I only picked up on things (a vibe I guess) over the last few weeks reading your posts - along with Debs and others ... I'm glad Mika made this statement ... I'm really sorry that MFC'ers have been treated this way ... I've never seen any bullying here ... and I know the difference between heated discussions and bullying. It's a shame that small minority can influence others to think that the MFC is a bad place ... as from my experiences it is far far from that :no:

I love when new fans join! Okay, now this is the sort of thing that almost made me leave a while back. People taking what I say, the wrong way. when I say "ambassadors of Mika", what I mean is that what we say on the forums reflects back onto Mika. Ambassador means, representative and whether we like it or not, we're representatives of his because we are his fanclub. I was simply meaning that we should be careful what we say It is NOT that I agree with everything he does, because I don't, and just because I joined in 2007, I don't think myself better than fans who joined last week. I'm excited when new fans join because it means more people are getting to know Mika, and what upsets me most on here is, people who have read my posts for years, should know that I'm fair, honest and kind, because they should know me by now.

Actually now I'm getting this off my chest, I might as well say that I've found the newer fans to be much more appreciative of my posts than the older ones. Some newer fans have said I'm really wise in what I write, and that my posts are insightful and balanced.

I used to go onto the Oldlings thread, but hardly anyone ever replied to me. I tried more than once, but in the end, gave up on it. Everyone on the thread was talking amongst themselves and not including me, so no, I don't go on there now, even though I'm one of the oldest people on this forum.

So no, I don't think I should have special treatment because I'm an older fan. I don't think I'm better than anyone else, and I don't always agree with Mika, but I do support him in his choices, but don't expect others to do the same if they don't want to. If that doesn't suit, then I really will leave, but I'd never say I was bullied. I'd just be sad that after all this time, no one has really got to know me, even though I've been on almost every day since 2007.

Oh no ... please Marilyn I had to reply to this as the Oldlings thread is pretty much my home ... I don't know when you tried to post ... but I've been posting there regularly since 2008 and the thread moves so fast sometimes the posts and people get overlooked ... even I do sometimes, but new posters are always always welcome ... you would be very welcome there - I for one would love to get to know you better ... I think that's the thing about here ... and about your last line ... I would have been the same as you maybe a few years ago, if I'd felt I'd been ignored I wouldn't have bothered again ... but I have to say in the Oldlings I have found really good friends ... we meet up sometimes even when Mika isn't involved - usually once a year hopefully - we're always there to help each other if we're having a bad day ... or week ... or year lol ... you'd always have a place to natter ... but we are old and do miss things sometimes ... and Hippie talks far too much :teehee:

I can't even begin to say what the MFC means to me ... I don't think I would have coped in 2010 when my Mum died ... let alone the night she died as I was in a foreign country and suddenly at a Mika gig I just didn't want to be at ... I won't forget the flowers I was sent by the Oldlings - the video that was made when it was her funeral (it was full of my fave things just to cheer me up a bit), actually just every bit of support or kind word I had back then. Bullying ... not a bit of it.