2013 - Sziget Festival, Budapest Hungary - Aug. 10 - REPORTS/PICS/VIDEOS

guylainem123

As I was at Sziget three years ago and this was one of the worst gig experiences I had made (mainly because of other bands' fans) I was very sceptical and hesitating to give it a second try. But now I'm so happy I did!

Despite all his perfect singing and talented song-writing I'm getting the feeling he's growing into a real and great entertainer as well. Especially in comparison to many other acts we get to see at festivals who sing their more or less good songs and leave the stage, Mika's performance felt like he was throwing a party and we were all invited to join. I love this side of him! It's perfect for a festival! Next to me there was a girl who was a big Editors-fan (so funny how similar fandoms work these days :naughty: ) and while I was willing to enjoy their performance I couldn't help but be bored after about two songs. Their music is okay and I liked how their fans' eyes started sparkling and everything but I felt bored. When Mika's show was done the girl next to me looked exhausted and said: "I liked it much more than I had expected!" :wub2:

Even though, it was mentioned already: The best part of the evening was clearly when Mika made Billy fall in love with Putin. I was very surprised by that and didn't know how on earth I could express how much I support his words / opinion and how proud I was in that moment of being his fan. It's so good to notice that he's the "right guy" to support every now and then. Not as an artist but as a human being. I'm so happy that he's good guy and not secretly dealing with drugs or weapons :naughty: I hope you know what I mean... :aah:

Anyway, here is my video of Live Your Life. Obviously I'm not used to filming but my weaknesses are compensated by Mika's awesomeness anyway:

If anyone is still interested I could upload my pictures as well. Didn't have time until now as I was travelling yesterday and working today. :aah:

Edited by Statue_of_Liberty

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dears! :blush-anim-cl: That was my sixth Mika show and it was truely amazing! I live in Budapest and I can get free tickets to Sziget, so it was just perfect! When I woke up there was a huge storm in my district so I was a bit afraid of the weather. And I also worried about the audience, because last time I was in Sziget to see Mika they weren’t so nice… They were pushing us and the first 3-4 rows was full with 30 seconds to Mars fans, who weren’t really enjoying Mika. Thanks God this time he was the headliner. But I was still worrying a bit, because I read a lot of negative comments about this years line up and many people complained about Mika as a headliner. :huh:

I went to Sziget with my best friend Pati (she isn’t a Mika fan) and we arrived about 4 pm. After that we searched for some other Hungarian Mika fans. I met with DuMika and Suzie whom I was on some other gigs before. And I also met Akiron who I doesn’t met before, but it was so nice to meet her! :cheerful_h4h: We walked around the whole location of the festival and I get a dinner. After that we split. Suzie stood to the stage to see The Fratellis and Akiron went to an other stage to see a Hungarian band. DuMika, Pati and me were enjoying the festival atmosphere. We went to the main stage about 6.40 PM. There was a color party from 7.00 PM. I think it was so funny I just really enjoyed it :naughty: Everyone was throwing coloured powder that tinted our skin and clothes. It was crazy! My friend poured a lot of blue and green powder to my hair and to my neck, so I looked like an Avatar :biggrin2: After that The Editors played at the stage and we stood in the seventh row. Their music was a bit boring to me and their communication with the audiance was soooo bad. But all in all it wasn’t bad, it was just a bit boring. And I was so excited that I smiled trough all of their concert anyway!

When The Editors ended the crowd started to move and we get to the second row. From that I had a perfect view to the stage. I lost Akiron and Suzie in the crowd but fortunately DuMika and Pati stood beside me. And right behind me there was a guy dressed as Kick-Ass :D The crowd were pushing so badly at the start but later they calm down a bit. And the people beside us were really nice. Mika started with Relax and everyone went crazy! :boing: There was soooo many people there and a lots of people in crazy costumes or with crazy stuffs (like giant unicorns and funny flags). It was such a great audience, they were all mad in a good way. And Mika was absolutely amazing and so energetic. So he was charming as usual! :fangurl: That was a really great show and he’s seemed to enjoyed it as well as the audience. The audiance invasion was so great too. He was cute like a child, smiling all night long and telling dirty jokes. :naughty: It was also lovely that he knew some things about Hungary and I just adored the way he pronounced „Sziget”. :wub2: We laught so much during Love Today and the Billy Brown – president Putin rhing was hilarious :clap: The audience were so loud, everyone shout the lyrics. And during Happy Ending and Underwater a lots of people do heart shapes with their hands. It was so nice. Well, actually it was like a big party with a lot of dancing, jumping, singing and the balloons and confettis. :cheerful_h4h: And I loved the set list too I think it was the perfect choice for a festival like this.

And when her mother came to the stage to take photos about Mika and the audience that was just LOVELY!

Even my friend Pati who isn’t a fan of Mika enjoyed it so much. She said that: I wish I could know the lyrics, because it will be so nice to sing with you guys! And after the gig she said that she loved it. ;)

After the show we waited for him about an hour. It was great because I could chat with the other hungarian fans. First we saw the band came out in a van and they were waving to us and smiling. And the drummer Felix did some funny faces to us, he was hilarious. :D I didn’t think that Mika will came to us, because he didn’t came last time at Sziget. And I never heard of any artist that came to see the fans on Sziget. So I was really suprised when I heard that some people saw him and started to scream his name. He came to us and he was a bit tired but super nice :teehee: There weren’t any cordons or thing like this and I didn’t see any security guys beside him. He talked a bit with the fans and gave some autographs, but some girls started to pushed him to take photos with him and after that he escaped quickly. So I was kinda angry to those girls, because I can’t even talked to him, he was there only about 5 minutes. And I really wanted to wish him happy birthday and also ask what he thinks about my country. But again it was super nice from him to came to us. :cheerful_h4h:

Me and Pati walked around Sziget one more time. We met with a lot of funny and nice people and have some super funny situations. A random guy wanted to marry Pati and things like this. :roll1: Soo it was just great and funny. I get home about 3 AM, and I had to wash my hair 4 times to wash the blue and green color powder out :D But it absolutely worth it!

I didn’t take any pictures, I never taking pictures I just enjoying gigs. Other people takes pictures anyway :D But there are some great picture on Sziget's website: http://sziget.hu/dws.php?ParentId=131229&pageid=5560&mgalleryAction=Gallery&mgallery_gid=131512&baseAction=Item#ad-image-0

Sorry for my bad English! Love you all! :group_hug:

As I was at Sziget three years ago and this was one of the worst gig experiences I had made (mainly because of other bands' fans) I was very sceptical and hesitating to give it a second try. But now I'm so happy I did!

Despite all his perfect singing and talented song-writing I'm getting the feeling he's growing into a real and great entertainer as well. Especially in comparison to many other acts we get to see at festivals who sing their more or less good songs and leave the stage, Mika's performance felt like he was throwing a party and we were all invited to join. I love this side of him! It's perfect for a festival! Next to me there was a girl who was a big Editors-fan (so funny how similar fandoms work these days :naughty: ) and while I was willing to enjoy their performance I couldn't help but be bored after about two songs. Their music is okay and I liked how their fans' eyes started sparkling and everything but I felt bored. When Mika's show was done the girl next to me looked exhausted and said: "I liked it much more than I had expected!" :wub2:

Even though, it was mentioned already: The best part of the evening was clearly when Mika made Billy fall in love with Putin. I was very surprised by that and didn't know how on earth I could express how much I support his words / opinion and how proud I was in that moment of being his fan. It's so good to notice that he's the "right guy" to support every now and then. Not as an artist but as a human being. I'm so happy that he's good guy and not secretly dealing with drugs or weapons :naughty: I hope you know what I mean... :aah:

Anyway, here is my video of Live Your Life. Obviously I'm not used to filming but my weaknesses are compensated by Mika's awesomeness anyway:

If anyone is still interested I could upload my pictures as well. Didn't have time until now as I was travelling yesterday and working today. :aah:

Of course, please share! :thumb_yello:

Actually I have to admit I believe I'm the only one who didn't quite understand why is Billy in love with Putin. Is it because he is the new Chuck Norris? :blink::mf_rosetinted:

Actually I have to admit I believe I'm the only one who didn't quite understand why is Billy in love with Putin. Is it because he is the new Chuck Norris? :blink::mf_rosetinted:

It was a little punch against Putin because of the new awful Anti-Homosexual-Laws in Russia.

It was a little punch against Putin because of the new awful Anti-Homosexual-Laws in Russia.

Exactly. This law forbids the "propaganda of homosexuality" so you basically aren't allowed to talk about homosexuality. It's very tragic and a huge topic for gay rights activists. Since that law exists members of the army have tortured and killed at least two gay men in Russia. Though, officially that never happend. Of course.

I wonder if Mika had the courage to sing Billy Brown in Russia these days. I wish, he had. But I could understand if it was more important for him to stay the free man he is than doing some necessary protests.

You forgot Live Your Life :wink2:

Exactly. This law forbids the "propaganda of homosexuality" so you basically aren't allowed to talk about homosexuality. It's very tragic and a huge topic for gay rights activists. Since that law exists members of the army have tortured and killed at least two gay men in Russia. Though, officially that never happend. Of course.

I wonder if Mika had the courage to sing Billy Brown in Russia these days. I wish, he had. But I could understand if it was more important for him to stay the free man he is than doing some necessary protests.

:shocked::shocked::shocked::sneaky2: Didn't know that.

Here's my intro and Relax video. It's shaky and the bass is terrible, but someone might be interested. It's a bit better when played in HD.

[YOUTUBE]yQ_26TDNA_s[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks Nena.:flowers2: I have to say that watching the gig by livestream was amazing, the sound and the image was really good but I didn't see you and Chris in the crowd :naughty:

Thanks Nena.:flowers2: I have to say that watching the gig by livestream was amazing, the sound and the image was really good but I didn't see you and Chris in the crowd :naughty:

I found myself on joy's photo! :shun:

1148791_10200637456553721_1637648645_n.jpg

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Chris is close but I'm not sure which blurry spot she is.:naughty: I recognized myself because of the white t-shirt and hair colour. (it's good I recently changed it from black to sort of blonde!):aah:

I found myself on joy's photo! :shun:

1148791_10200637456553721_1637648645_n.jpg

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

Chris is close but I'm not sure which blurry spot she is.:naughty: I recognized myself because of the white t-shirt and hair colour. (it's good I recently changed it from black to sort of blonde!):aah:

I see, Mika is singing just for you :naughty:

http://www.quart.hu/quart/fesztival/...beszamolo.html

Aesthetics cheated by love

By Adam Lang 11.08.2013

Many have complained that the more and more ‘insignificant' Mika would be headlining Saturday's Sziget festival. He, however, was not so concerned: he gave probably the best party at Sziget this year with a smile on his face - just like he did 3 years ago.

Although I do not consider the three albums Mika has released so far perfect, I find it really preposterous that negative reviews on him tend to conclude that Mika’s songs are not good because he is not merely capable of singing a certain number of octaves but dares to do it as well and that is over the top and annoying…etc. Seriously, it’s like picking Tom Waits because he has a scratchy voice. The Lebanese born singer was even turned away from a talent show because of that, at the beginning of his career. (*) Nevertheless, the very tall yet slim Mika keeps singing his catchy, camp pop songs like a mischievous child, with an innocent smile on his face.

At his concert it was worth noting that this guy sang his own hits for 1.5 hours. Well, not of of these were released as singles but even the song ‘Live Your Life ‘ sounded familiar from the past somehow. (**) The songs from last year’s (not so successful) album that I missed out on, also worked really well. (Origin of Love, Emily, Love You When I'm Drunk etc.) Mika is most likely competent and talented enough to produce songs with more depth that would impress critics looking for more serious content but seemingly, all Mika wants is to release poperatic cartoon disco and hits hits hits.(***)

After all, there is not much difference between Mika’s songs. Typically, they start with a piano into and somehow end up in stadium disco pumping with large scale chorus that takes the song to the top.(****) Still, this can be really entertaining, partly because of Mika’s personality. Really, this cartoon- like character acts as if he found much love somewhere and is distributing it in the form of a bunch of songs. Making the audience clap or sing is not a boring and cheap part of the show to impress the audience with. He can somehow stay true to himself as you can tell he is enjoying himself a lot and loves partying with these couple of thousands of people. It was also very impressive when he asked the audience during ‘Underwater ‘ to close their eyes. It was like cheating on aesthetics : With Mika, being over the top with emotions does not turn to kitsch but love spreads around. It was really sweet to watch everyone sing the Take That-like ( :banghead:) Happy Endings (:doh: ) with a smile on their face or jumping up and down to Big Girls (You Are Beautiful).

The stage spiced with illuminated apple, heart and circus flags, the bulb hanging from 10 meters above, the giant balloons thrown to the audience halfway through and the rain of confetti during We Are Golden made you feel like it was the idea of a child. In the meantime, we learn that this was Mika’s last concert in his twenties and next time he will be thirty, so pretty old, he jokes. But by then everyone knows that in this tale no-one gets old.

Suzie’s notes:

(*) Note to Mika: there is no use repeating the same thing again and again, people are going to misread, misunderstand and mistranslate in any case :roftl:

(**)mega LOL I guess the familiarity has another reason. I consider it a ’non-Mika’ song in any case :teehee:

(***) b**ls**t

(***) mega b**ls**t

Finishing note: I am really happy to read positive articles on Mika but lacking talent in both understanding music and writing, why does one write gig reviews? :dunno:

Edited by suzie

http://index.hu/kultur/zene/fesztival/2013/08/11/a_srac_akinek_a_nyoman_a_britek_piros_nadragot_kezdtek_hordani/

We kept screaming for confetti like kids

by MK - 2013.08.11. 13:21

Those frowning upon the idea of Mika headlining Sziget festival on Saturday miscalculated what would be coming. Mika made sure he proves the can rule the mainstage..

So, what happens if, with a slight concern, we put Mika to headline Saturday night at Sziget, following his 2011 performance at Balaton Sound still in daylight and an earlier Sziget performance in around the same time zone? Well, English singer treated as a secondary, standby act proved all unbelievers wrong with an undoubtedly strong concert.

To be honest, I was expecting screaming teenagers taking pictures of themselves and the stage but mainly themselves and that during melancholic songs there’s be people hugging, sad loser on stage, iPhones in the hand, disinterest in 20 minutes.... Not at all. Mika showed he has self-irony and if he concentrates he is a bloody good showman.

At the beginning of concert it seemed as if there were significantly fewer people there than at Blur’s gig the night before but the first few chords of Relax signalled the arrival of Mika with a shout “Hello Saiget!!!” (*) , and Grace Kelly following it brought in the crowd: the space in front of the main stage got filled up.

The concert was practically a string of hits. Those who had not dismantled the field by “I hate days like this” (Rain) certainly did so when it came to ’I (only) love you when i’m drunk’ and ’Elle me dit”. Mika had some discredible words to girls as well (**): he sang Big girl (you are beautiful ), the anthem of fat but sweet girls where it is only what is inside that counts. (***)

His piano solos had nothing to compare that of Damon Albern but were not bad and he knew exactly where the balance was between kitsch and irony. And like at every good concert we had a happy smile on hour face when your head almost banged into the camera above the audience or when everyone go sprayed on with coloured confetti, even the lazy VIP section.

Love Today was bombastic: Mika threw himself into the audience with his braces down, like only truly professional performers so. It was no surprise, of course, except for the ones who were unaware of much Mika loes playing with the audience. This time it was not Mika’s sister we needed to sing Happy Birthday to but had to overshout the keyboard player (****) running amok, only to listen to the huge hit with the audience singing the truth in Lollipop: “Love only gets you down”. Mika came and proved himself again, no-one is to utter a bad word on him.

Suzie’s notes:

(*) proper pronounciation is 'siget' ('i' like in ill). Apparently, he pronounced it almost perfectly the night before :teehee:

(**) This bloke clearly needs to show off his (probably dimishing) masculinity

(***) Surely not everyone can get the meaning of simple pop songs that actually go beyond the regular theme of love.

(****)that was the bassist, but never mind

finishing comment: the link reveals that the original title of this review was: 'the one who made the Brits wear red trousers' :roftl:

Edited by suzie

Oh dears! :blush-anim-cl: That was my sixth Mika show and it was truely amazing!

Sorry for my bad English! Love you all! :group_hug:

Dorii, I haven't quoted all your report but I loved it :thumb_yello: It gave a great picture of the atmosphere at the gig.

Thank you for this .. I can spot Zsina, Betti, Timi, Pati, Nina, Saskia and even my hand over her head at one of the pics ... :teehee:

I was so pleased to meet all the Hungarian fans again. :hungary: and glad many from abroad came to see him here.

See you at the next gig when Mika is an old man already. :mika2:

I can't even put my feelings into words. It was so incredible, one of the best nights of my life, I'm still under the influence. It was my first Mika gig and I can say, it was perfect.

I so love hearing this. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy when people end up on a cloud after their first Mika gig. :mikalove: