MIKA's New Swatch Collection

dcdeb

When I first saw the watches I felt a bit "attacked" from these faces :fisch: But now I'm liking it, not sure I would wear it though (especially because I don't like wearing a watch :naughty:)

1ne I love this cookie box :mf_rosetinted:

I have no idea how the illustrations of the TBWKTM album look like (exept the cover), so I was not disappointed by the watches design (sometimes it's good to be a newbie :teehee:)

Found this video about the process and development of this collection:

http://www.swatch.com/it_it/swatch-tv/embed/2793012291001/900/546

The video is very interesting, they made many researches about the design!

I have no idea how the illustrations of the TBWKTM album look like (exept the cover), so I was not disappointed by the watches design (sometimes it's good to be a newbie :teehee:)

These are the shirts from that era.

135676.jpg

I would like to download it, is there a link please?

I can't, :no: hope they will upload to their YT channel soon as like this

SWATCH : http://www.youtube.com/user/swatch/videos

:EDIT:

The OFFICIAL SWATCH YT

You may D/L by http://savevideo.me/?lang=en Edited by Kumazzz
adding the official YouTube link.

I have an idea about this "back to TBWKTM style"....

Mika wrote on twitter (yesterday I suppose) that it took one year and half to accomplish this design and to finally have the watches made, so I thought that probably Swatch initially ask him to design the watches almost 2 years ago.

So considering that 2 years ago TBWKTM was his last album, I think that Swatch asked him to design watches related or inspired by the album's artworks.

But I'm just guessing....

By the way...nice watches (even if I saw many more appealing swatch design, at least to me....:P)

I didnt start folowing him for the vanity fairs, the vogues, the drawings, the tv shows...I started following him for the music,and it seems to me he's getting away from himself and spreading (spoiling, wasting) his talent with rubbish...

Go on crucify me, here's the nails...

Well, I'm not going to crucify you! Some of us have been saying that for months, wonka. I love Mika to pieces, but all of this other stuff is... fluff. :dunno: The fake singing competitions, the celebrity fashion shoots, the clothing line, the sunglasses, etc.

BUT, after watching the video that Swatch put out, with Mika talking about how he designed the watches with Yasmine, I think I understand something I didn't quite get before. He's in love with the creative process, and somehow this is important for him as an artist. He needs to do things like this to feed his creative soul. Does that sound overdramatic or too corny? :blink: Maybe, but I think I get that... I need that for myself sometimes, to do something unrelated to what I normally do, but that will nourish me in intangible ways.

So yes, I'm a bit disappointed that the Swatches are sort of a throwback to a design he's already shown us -- I was hoping for something completely different -- but you know what? They definitely remind me of Mika, so I will probably buy one for that reason, and because I think I understand what went into developing them. I like Swatches as a casual watch, and that design IS actually the kind of thing I would wear -- bright and bold and kind of offbeat -- even though I'm 3x 18! :teehee:

We have a portuguese saying:

Lord,give me patience coz if u giveme strenght i'd kill him...:mf_rosetinted:

:lmfao: OMG, I am going to print that out and have that made into a sign or something! :thumb_yello:

Well, I'm not going to crucify you! Some of us have been saying that for months, wonka. I love Mika to pieces, but all of this other stuff is... fluff. :dunno: The fake singing competitions, the celebrity fashion shoots, the clothing line, the sunglasses, etc.

BUT, after watching the video that Swatch put out, with Mika talking about how he designed the watches with Yasmine, I think I understand something I didn't quite get before. He's in love with the creative process, and somehow this is important for him as an artist. He needs to do things like this to feed his creative soul. Does that sound overdramatic or too corny? :blink: Maybe, but I think I get that... I need that for myself sometimes, to do something unrelated to what I normally do, but that will nourish me in intangible ways.

So yes, I'm a bit disappointed that the Swatches are sort of a throwback to a design he's already shown us -- I was hoping for something completely different -- but you know what? They definitely remind me of Mika, so I will probably buy one for that reason, and because I think I understand what went into developing them. I like Swatches as a casual watch, and that design IS actually the kind of thing I would wear -- bright and bold and kind of offbeat -- even though I'm 3x 18! :teehee:

:lmfao: OMG, I am going to print that out and have that made into a sign or something! :thumb_yello:

I think you are right and I have the same feeling towards the watch

Seriously,its this kindof thing thats been upsetting me about Mika lately...

He grabs a thing and explores it to the maximum...

TBWKTM is as old a **** for us,so why bring it back in a couple of swatch watches?

They are both so creative, so imaginative,why repeating something that was done ages ago???

Besides, this wasnt exactly one of my fav of their designs...

The same ishappeningwith x factor, i'm so sick and tired of reading about it i dont even go to those threads anymore...

I always loathed these singing contests,never watched them on my whole life,here in portugal they suck even more,but i gave it a try coz it was Mika,but ifind it so superfluous,so superficial (same as here) i just gave up...

And he's been exploring it to the most...

I didnt start folowing him for the vanity fairs, the vogues, the drawings, the tv shows...I started following him for the music,and it seems to me he's getting away from himself and spreading (spoiling, wasting) his talent with rubbish...

Go on crucify me, here's the nails...

I totally agree with you on the X-factor deal, but the thing about the watch is that no one is supposed to know about this "TB" revival except his fans...

But beside the watch, I agree with everything you said, it makes me feel so bad knowing Mika is drifting away from the true reason he became famous...

But the most important thing of all is for him to stay the person he was in 2007, and judging from that swatch video, it seems like he's the same person he was on 1986 :naughty:

But I must say - I am so tired of endless X-factor news... and now "The voice" :doh:

Edited by Tulun♥23

Look I totally get that. I am a fairly non visual person and a minimalist so I don't really relate to Mika's absorption with "things". But I can get on board with it when it is something personal and novel and more or less non commercial. A very limited number of Tofu dolls, great. A Coke box for charity, great.

But this is not what we're talking about anymore. We're not talking about a break from what he normally does anymore. We're talking about one album with a supporting tour that is over in a matter of weeks and then years of things that have very little or nothing to do with that. When do side projects that are all we ever have to talk about on his fan club stop being referred to as side projects?

Certainly Swatch is the most legitimate side project he has embarked on in a long time IMO because he's always had a strong affinity with Swatch and the watches are as Mikaish as anything he's ever done.

But I just can't believe that making beer commercials and making clothes for an inexpensive chain and going on TV shows are food for the creative soul. If Mika wanted to design his own clothing line for real I could understand that. But those were not his creations from scratch. They were exactly the same colours and styles that were in season everywhere last spring. You could buy those faux Chanel jackets, for example, in any high street shop in the world.

If he wants to develop and nurture young singers that is great, but if that is truly your aim I can't think of a worse way to go about it than via reality TV shows.

Mika can do whatever he wants. If he wants to spend the majority of his time indulging himself and earning money outside of music he is entitled. But I am weary of the justifications for some of it that doesn't ring true and the expectation that loyal fans of his music should be loyal fans of everything else he gets involved in.

Instead of going to gigs and enjoying music I feel like to be a supportive Mika fan at this time I need to buy a watch I would never wear, watch a TV show that I hate, buy an album full of songs I already own, etc. etc.

Instead of going to gigs and enjoying music I feel like to be a supportive Mika fan at this time I need to buy a watch I would never wear, watch a TV show that I hate, buy an album full of songs I already own, etc. etc.

I remember making a bitter joke about another artist, that the next album would be a complimentary gift you get when you buy your overpriced merchandise.... Seems like that's where we are heading with Mika as well doesn't it :blink:

I don't actually mind him doing all sorts of random stuff, I mean that's usually what you get for liking these eccentric weirdoes :naughty: I can just tune out when I'm not interested, my problem is just that there hasn't been much to tune back in to :dunno: And I really find those tv shows hard to stomach, as I really bloody hate them in any shape or form, so knowing Mika is being an arse on one of them somewhere is like the ultimate turn-off for me :sneaky2:

Edited by Kata

I remember making a bitter joke about another artist, that the next album would be a complimentary gift you get when you buy your overpriced merchandise.... Seems like that's where we are heading with Mika as well doesn't it :blink:

:sad: Well, I hope not.

I agree that the current mix is out of whack -- obviously, I'd prefer that Mika worked on music 80% - 90% of the time and side projects/real life just 10% - 20% of the time. (I will allow him a little downtime for a personal life. :naughty: ) And I am no fan of these "talent shows." I can't believe that one hasn't even finished yet and we're already starting up with the next one. It's mind-boggling.

But I'm trying to I understand why he's pursuing some of these things (aside from the money), and I think maybe I do get it. Still, I can't deny that I'm sad that they're leading him so far astray from the music.

I think it's incredible how much love, thought and work they put into these designs. And I agree with you Deb, he LOVES creating things, it's obvious. It's probably something he needs to do to keep himself happy and energetic and to be able to do music as well. I don't think for a moment he is doing any of his projects just for money (even he probably likes having houses here and there :teehee:), there's always a unique idea behind everything and he looks genuinely excited to show his designs. Not sure we should even call them "side projects", looks more like a life style for him to do different things (I'm sure he still always sees himself as someone who makes music). I can very well believe working with Swatch was always his dream. Happy he could do it :wub2: These watches are too colorful for my own style (totally as I expected) but they scream "Mika" and after watching the video I understand why he is using the mask pattern, it was a long time project. I want one for myself as a memory and maybe to use at gigs (please tell we can have that special box too!!!) and already promised one for my son, he was super excited to see the colors (hahah, totally as I expected as well).

I think it's incredible how much love, thought and work they put into these designs. And I agree with you Deb, he LOVES creating things, it's obvious. It's probably something he needs to do to keep himself happy and energetic and to be able to do music as well. I don't think for a moment he is doing any of his projects just for money (even he probably likes having houses here and there :teehee:), there's always a unique idea behind everything and he looks genuinely excited to show his designs. Not sure we should even call them "side projects", looks more like a life style for him to do different things (I'm sure he still always sees himself as someone who makes music). I can very well believe working with Swatch was always his dream. Happy he could do it :wub2: These watches are too colorful for my own style(totally as I expected) but they scream "Mika" and after watching the video I understand why he is using the mask pattern, it was a long time project. I want one for myself as a memory and maybe to use at gigs (please tell we can have that special box too!!!) and already promised one for my son, he was super excited to see the colors (hahah, totally as I expected as well).

TOTALLY quote.

I was the first being sarcastic here yesterday about this design.

But, minute after minute, I was happier and happier to think thai I will have a sort of personal brand on my wrist, a little piece of his music, representing his artistic path on me, AND on a brand I have personally adored, that reminds to me my GOLDEN age.

Then, this morning I listened to the interview.

And I'm so happy to find out my completely weakness when regarding damned Penniman bros.

Definitely on my knees.

Marie Claire Italia ‏@MarieClaire_it 11m

A cena con #mika, #swatch e alcuni colleghi per #mika4swatch #venezia

6b6a7252465811e38de20aac627fb7b3_8.jpg

i won't buy the watch if i don't win it, since i'd only wear it for mika gigs, the rest of the time it'd just be an expensive collector's item catching dust... it's just too colourful and plastic for my personal watch style, and i don't like it if my watch has eyes, don't want to feel watched by my watch, lol. :teehee: but i'd love to have one of those masks they have there on this pic, it's cool with that jungle design and the spider on the back. :naughty:

I really like the watches, even with the "throwback" tbwktm design.:thumb_yello:

Colorful and hideous. If any of you ever met me you'd see I am 100% about colorful and hideous plasticness. My style. The kid swatches are usually my game to begin with so this is great. I was afraid it was going to be a sleek watch in the beginning of all this.

Edited by BangBangLou

I get what you are saying Deb, and I feel the same.

I fully understand that he has some sort of hunger to do these artistic/creative projects (not the talent shpw judging) alongside his music, and liking his bold colourful style, as long as we get the music on a regular basis, I don't mind so much that he does them.

Edited by RAK1

Deb I so agree with you about him loving the idea of a complete product. I also think that the design of the watch is very MIKA. If he used a more generic design it would look like any other watch, but this screams MIKA and it will get people talking.

I like the side projects he has, but probably because my desire is to get his name known. In places like France and now Italy, people will be buying the music, because they know him from things he's doing there,but in places like the UK, he needs something else to get people to look him up. I always say, when people look him up, they'll adore the music. So we all have the same desire for people to know his music.

One thing that came to me, about the watch, is that he's actually made a watch that dyslexics can read. Letters or numbers are difficult for dyslexics, but I think they should be able to understand the pictures. At last they have a watch designed with them in mind, because Mika is dyslexic.

Those are my thoughts anyway. I think the watch is brill. I'll be getting one.