2013 -- Swatch signing session in London, UK, 26 November

mellody

It's good when people are interested in friendships with other fans. Not just Mika. God bless you and I hope you meet Mika one day.

Thank you so so much. I hope to get some good friends in here, I believe there are amazing people.

(I see you are from Manchester. I always feel good when I read the name of that town, my best friend when I was a child was from there. When his mother got pissed at us always shouted at him in english and then pretend to be nice to me in italian. I guess I was lucky not to be able to catch a single word :naughty:)

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll rather prefer 15 minutes being involved in a little chat within a group of people I price, then 2 minutes on my own. I don't think I would ever say something interesting to him, so I prefer to take advantage of someone else's social skills :naughty:

Maybe in a ten years I'll change my mind about that... :doh:

Funnily enough, that is also my preference. My nicest chats with him have been within a setting of a few friends, just in a very relaxed small group setting and I would always go for that over an individual private meeting myself.

I agree. We are not mind readers. But I will always advise people that crowding in on Mika is a terrible strategy for having quality time with him. It just doesn't work. I've seen the proof of it every time I've met him, or not met him, as the case may be.

Yes, I share your views completely.

of course he shouldn't accept it, but i'm sure bitching here about these fans won't make a difference, except that it might make some people feel bad who don't have a reason to, and that it adds a negative feeling to this thread, imo. nothing wrong with addressing it of course, it happened, and it was wrong. but all this negativity here over several pages (not just by you of course!) will in the worst case keep the fans who got carried away a bit by mika's presence from joining mfc... and if they sit with us at the table the next time, we have a much better chance of telling them (in a nice way) what the best option is in this situation. :wink2:

obviously it's NOT clear for everyone that the same rules can apply to meeting your fave star as for meeting a random stranger. being in the presence of someone famous is an unusual situation for many people - not everyone is able to completely ignore the fact that someone is famous. i notice it for myself that i simply can't stay as calm as i would if it was any random stranger. and i'm not just talking about mika, he's a special case for me anyway because i like him and i've met him so often, but about random famous people i get to see or meet when i'm working at concerts and vip events. usually i just get nervous but don't show it, but if i have to talk/interact with the famous person, i notice that i do behave differently than i usually would, maybe due to the nervousness. i want to be all calm and cool, but i can't help it that despite trying to act completely professional, i still quite often have the feeling i'm making a fool of myself in some way, and if just by blushing when that person talks to me. :doh: and if you are a fan and want to talk with your fave star, it's different again, but definitely an unusual situation where you might not act like you normally would, even if you want to. so while i'm all for telling those fans in a nice and polite way that it would help everyone more if they stayed in their places, i don't think that basically telling them they're bad people will help making any positive changes. :wink2:

like i said, i'm all for pointing it out. just personally i felt bothered by the way it was done by some, i found some of it very negative, accusing, questioning not only people's behaviour in that particular situation, but their whole personality. but maybe i'm just oversensitive. :teehee:

If I have to be completely frank, mellody, it is posts like these which have kept me more and more removed from MFC lately. Why is it that nothing which is not positive can be said, without it being labelled negative and as one is a party pooper? Sorry if exposing a reality makes you upset, but that doesn't mean that it should be kept under the carpet, does it? I don't know if you meant me by one of the negative ones but I will go out on a limb and assume you did (and please correct me if I am wrong in my assumption). I didn't say at any point that anyone was a bad person, etc. I focused on behaviours, and whoever finds that the cap fits should wear it and hopefully it will, as Guy says, make them realise things that they might have not realised before and change their ways. Allowing things to go unchallenged just because it might upset someone who is being oversensitive about it is not the right way IMO- it will only turn these behaviours in the norm moving forward, and every meeting with Mika will turn into a mob fest. Which, if you ask me, I have already noticed to be quite the case in the past couple of years.

Bringing these things up and discussing them like rational people is surely much healthier than ignoring them? Accusing people of being negative and of antagonising others will only cause the opposite, and has also caused lots of long term fans to move away from posting on MFC because they don't want to be constantly hearing all this moaning about negativity, etc..

Personally, I did mention in my post that it had been lovely to see him, a great gesture by him and his team and by Deb and whoever else at MFC facilitated this, so I don't feel that by also highlighting the lackings of the evening I am being ungrateful or negative. Your post actually did upset me, to be honest. It seems very disproportionate to what has been said here.

Going back to the subject, people should always retain manners no matter what situation they are in. Being in the presence of a famous person is not an excuse in my book.

I didn't read that much negativity. It seems like most enjoyed themselves and had a positive experience.

Pointing out that a few people suffer from the "follow Mika like a puppy" syndrome is not necessarily bad. Sometimes they don't realize they are doing it until you point it out. It could have a positive effect in the end. :blush-anim-cl:

Exactly, Guy. Completely agreed.

I by no means implied that anyone was a bad person for mobbing him. I just think the behaviour is not cool and uncalled for especially since everybody had already met him at the signing. I'm just an advocate for personal space and as you know I am not someone who is politically correct when voicing my opinions but I just say it how I feel it. I don't see a bad vibe in the thread as everyone who said something about the mobbing also commented that it was lovely and kind and wonderful. But you know, that's what a discussion forum is for, to discuss things and as this is a common issue, people will always talk about this.

I could have not put this better so just quoting you to say that I completely agree.

Yeah but, you know it might just be me, but I don't see this as normal behaviour. Don't treat others the way you don't want to be treated no matter if your intentions are good etc. But then again, I am never really star-struck because even though I might find an artist inspiring and fantastic, I still see them as a normal human being who poops just like we all do. :teehee:

And again, snap.

I've got to agree with Silver here. And I still think it's inevitable that when some people meet him the excitement takes over and that's why they gathered around him. And most of those who did were young and new fans. They didn't know that if they sat down he would come to each table. I don't think they were being rude or disrespectful.

Well, sorry to disagree Treasa but I think that common courtesy and manners should be a generalised thing, excited or not (I think everyone in that room was excited) and it's not about knowing that he will come to the table or not. You just don't expect people to go chasing anyone like that in real life, so why would this be different?

Seeing as some of them were sitting at the table beside ours and nearly barged me and Kath out of the way to get through, I beg to differ.

Nothing wrong with youthful exuberance, but manners costs nothing.

Completely agree with you, Rose.

The pooping comment oh my :lmfao:

I am not judging anyone, I am just advising that this strategy does not work. And I think it IS a strategy, not ignorance or nerves. People know how to behave, they just decide that getting close to Mika is more important than observing social rules. That's why being part of a club and having these discussions alters people's behaviour. There were plenty of MFCers involved in the Brixton mobbing. There were plenty of MFCers involved in queue jumping, etc. in the early days. But when people make it clear this is not acceptable most people learn that they will get farther if they cooperate instead of pursuing their own interests to the exclusion of everyone around them.

Yep, I definitely think that it's done consciously knowing that their behaviour is going to get them what they want at that point in time, which is to get close to him. Unless they have some personality disorder or are on the autistic spectrum, most people who have been brought up in a civilised country know the difference between a normal situation and a not so normal one like this ;-)

Others misbehave and get it all, while us suckers who has always behaved get nothing...

I think i'll become a bad fan and sit on his lap the next time i see him...:mf_rosetinted:

And even try to touch his curlz...:mf_rosetinted:

Or an even daring thing: touching his butt!!!:mikadas:

I guess after 10 gigs and having not taken a pic with him yet i deserve it...:mf_rosetinted:

THAT IF he comes here again soon...:mikacool:

Ah, you do make me laugh Wonka :lmfao:

I find the "Oh they are young and excited so you can't blame them" argument nonsense. It is no excuse to act like an asshole. And not everyone who mobbed him was young and ignorant. Excitement should never be a reason to be disrespectful and condoning it and making up excuses for it is just as disrespectful towards him.

And I give zero f*cks if it was your last chance for this year. That is the case for most of us. Everybody had their chance at the signing.

And I can safely say that I've had MANY more special moments with him with or without other fans around without having had to mob him.

Call me rude, a b*tch whatever. I just find it more important that he feels comfortable than for anyone to get their next fix bydisrespecting his space.

Oh and Wonka, I waited 5 years for my pic. Now I have too many XD

Please stop posting stuff that I would want to write!! You're stealing my lines :-P

The thing that has always upset me re pics is that there are still quite a few hardcore long term fans who don't have pics ..... But many many casual 'don't really give a s*it ' fans who do. And basically, in most cases this is down to manners and the fact that these hardcore fans are the ones who aren't going to disrespect him or push theirselves forward inappropriately. I just wish that there was a way around it.

I know Kath, it's so often the case in the UK and Europe, isn't it? The mob scene seems to have taken a huge momentum in the last couple of years and I am not sure that there is a way around it.

Edited by sariflor

A huge thank you for all the reports, photos and the video :thumb_yello:

The thing that has always upset me re pics is that there are still quite a few hardcore long term fans who don't have pics ..... But many many casual 'don't really give a s*it ' fans who do. And basically, in most cases this is down to manners and the fact that these hardcore fans are the ones who aren't going to disrespect him or push theirselves forward inappropriately. I just wish that there was a way around it.

I can't count the times I was queuieing for a m&g after a gig and saw people joining the queue and staying in front of me, pretending I didn't exist. I usually end up 2nd or 3rd row in the queue and have got two autographs so far. One, I really got (after the Lievin gig), the other, it was my friend Mikabea who got it for me. A photo with Mika would be a wonderful gift but I'm too shy and respectful and don't see myself fighting with the others... they're not humans anymore, they're wild beasts. I saw really nasty, bitchy behaviours.

I hope Wonkita, me and other MFCers like us will be able to have a pic or a nice chat with Mika some day.

I find the "Oh they are young and excited so you can't blame them" argument nonsense. It is no excuse to act like an asshole. And not everyone who mobbed him was young and ignorant. Excitement should never be a reason to be disrespectful and condoning it and making up excuses for it is just as disrespectful towards him.

And I give zero f*cks if it was your last chance for this year. That is the case for most of us. Everybody had their chance at the signing.

And I can safely say that I've had MANY more special moments with him with or without other fans around without having had to mob him.

Call me rude, a b*tch whatever. I just find it more important that he feels comfortable than for anyone to get their next fix bydisrespecting his space.

Oh and Wonka, I waited 5 years for my pic. Now I have too many XD

You're right, Ingrid. Being an as*hole has nothing to do with one's age. It's a matter of education, and a lack of social skills.

It's good when people are interested in friendships with other fans. Not just Mika. God bless you and I hope you meet Mika one day.

Many MFcers have become friends. Some of them, very good friends :wub2: It's such a pleasure to share your views with other people.

Thank you so so much. I hope to get some good friends in here, I believe there are amazing people.

(I see you are from Manchester. I always feel good when I read the name of that town, my best friend when I was a child was from there. When his mother got pissed at us always shouted at him in english and then pretend to be nice to me in italian. I guess I was lucky not to be able to catch a single word :naughty:)

Yes I'm from Sale, near Manchester. The city centre is about 15 minutes away on the tram.

There aren't many North West fans of Mika on here. I've always been a bit sad about that.

I've seen Mika twice in Manchester, once at the Apollo (and met him afterwards) and once at The Ritz last year. Unfortunately, I'm not up to standing around waiting for him anymore. But I will go to any of the gigs I can sit down at. At The Ritz and The Roundhouse, I was on the balcony and had a great view both times.

I find Mika to be very patient with his fans. People don't have to push in to meet him. If they just let him breathe and move, I've found that he'll always get round to everyone in turn. People who push in just ruin the experience for everyone, including Mika.

What happened to this thread?? Yes there was a bit of mobbing around Mika at the party but it wasn't that bad. He wasn't going to stay longer anyway, he was just popping in, but maybe I'm not complaining because he eventually did come to our table.

But why discuss it this much (how many pages now with no pics and vids)?? I want pix and vids people :naughty:

Anyway, I would just like to say that I had an absolutely amazing few days with Nina, Karin and our awesome Swatch crew who took care of us and treated us as if we were celebrities or something :D

We even got our own private professional photographers, a bus just for us which took us everywhere, our own very cool tour guide who was supersweet, and three lovely Swatch team leaders who made sure we had everything we needed.

We got free visits to fancy restaurants and cafés, got to visit the Tate Museum and see the incredible paintings of Paul Klee, visit historic places and get insightful information about them from our tour guide. I adore Lady Diana so I asked him a lot about her. And I'm still in awe that they paid for our fancy hotel stay and flights + transportation! Not bad for Second Place winners :aah:

Meeting the employees of Swatch and Mika was fun as well of course; One of the girls who worked there was Swedish/Finnish (like me and Nina!).

We chatted a bit to Mika, gave him some gifts, took a horrible photo of him and us (well, I looked horrible; the rest looked like normal people), then went off to the after party which was in the basement of a pub just down the street from the Swatch store. Very intimate and cool pub! I had such a wonderful time and I've been to a lot of parties but this one was definitely one of my all time favorites! Met some awesome and sweet people and got a bit too drunk which I haven't been in ages it seems; I'm getting old; So thanks to Mika for this fun evening! I don't like to flatter him too much but what a cool person he is for doing this for his fans; I think it's great PR for him as well. People will start to talk and know that Mika's a special type of artist who gives back to his fans eventually if he keeps doing these types of cool things. *Hint Hint*

Anyway thank you all for congratulating us on our win!

If anyone wants to see my photos, just add me as a friend on Facebook. :)

azxb.jpg

Edited by LaraMay
I guess I can add a pic I took of Mika; Didn't take many.

Thank you Mamy (love your username :naughty:) :huglove::huglove:

I want to say it one more time :mf_rosetinted:: the Swatch event and the party were so great :wub2::wub2::thumb_yello: and also the queuing in the cold with you guys :naughty:

:naughty: Yes, can we do it every Tuesdays ? Pleaaaaaaaaase !

Did you recognise you on the photo? (yes, stupid question, I know)

Thank you Mamy (love your username :naughty:) :huglove::huglove:

I want to say it one more time :mf_rosetinted:: the Swatch event and the party were so great :wub2::wub2::thumb_yello: and also the queuing in the cold with you guys :naughty:

It was great to meet you again Melanie. :thumb_yello:

sara, i'm sorry if my post upset you, this wasn't my intention. and like i said, i don't want to ignore or keep quiet about the negative aspects of this event or any other mika-related things. but imo it's a difference to mention it and point it out, as opposed to going on and on about it for pages. one of your posts alone, or ingie's or whoever else's wouldn't have upset me, but the sum of all of them did. it seems like i'm the only one who feels bothered by it tho, so i think i'll just shut up now and move on back to other things that happened this day, apart from the mobbing. :wink2:

for a start, here are my pix: http://s778.photobucket.com/user/mikafanclub_de/library/2013-11-26-London - and some of my faves:

DSC04773_zpsc2ad7816.jpg

DSC04759_zpsdb240974.jpg

DSC04755_zpsb9ec9ce9.jpg

DSC04769_zpsd2dce090.jpg

thankful for my good place in the middle of the room and for my good zoom lens. :teehee:

DSC04783_zpsfd2f3d43.jpg

DSC04782_zps1e6f5aa7.jpg

i uploaded this despite niko deciding to have some champagne in this moment and hiding half of mika's face by that :sneaky2::teehee: but it's just such a cute laugh! :wub2:

DSC04785_zps92ac1746.jpg

I'm having some computer issues at the moment but hopefully I will have a couple of pics to post.

It was really nice to meet everyone in the queue, the time passed quite quickly despite the cold as we were all so busy chatting :naughty:

Thanks for your pictures, Mellody ;) Each limited edition Swatch was signed by Mika at the back? I mean the items sold at the London Swatch shop. Or were they signed if people asked Mika?

I'm glad for him these watches sell well.

Thanks for your pictures, Mellody ;) Each limited edition Swatch was signed by Mika at the back? I mean the items sold at the London Swatch shop. Or were they signed if people asked Mika?

There is a printed signature from Mika and Jasmine plus the edition number on the back of the Tin. Mika also signed most people's box lid. I think some got him to sign the watch itself, but it was tricky getting the watch out of all that packaging so I didn't bother. I love my signed box and all the packaging :wub2:

I think the limited edition design is nicer than the blue one - it is certainly smaller and suits a female wrist better, anyway :naughty:

:naughty: Yes, can we do it every Tuesdays ? Pleaaaaaaaaase !

Did you recognise you on the photo? (yes, stupid question, I know)

yeah :mf_rosetinted: this is a good pic: not my face, only the lovely one of Mika :naughty: thank you <3

Btw, this is my small contribution to the pics of this day:

BZ_eJxtCAAAeqpg.jpg

I know, Mika is not in it, but we have the Tofu doll