Mika commercials on Italian TV

mari62

May I say I can't wait to hear the whole song?:wub2:

Thanks!

Ok, I don't like him being on commercials and I don't like the idea of presenting a new song through a commercial either, but I'd be a liar if I said that I didn't like listening to a short bit of one of his new songs, that, I must say, I already love! :wub2:

I am very excited by the new song :wub2:, not by the commercial. It has been quite a while we haven't got new music in english. It's a very soft tune with a beautiful melody. Could somebody write down the lyrics?

thanks for posting this song snippet! :wub2: really, there was an ad as well? :blink::naughty: i couldn't even tell what it was for or how mika looked like, after reading about and hearing the new song. :teehee: i'd suggest we discuss the song snippet in the album thread: http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31409&page=10 :wink2:

A new ad for 3:

[YOUTUBE]sZSVqtqIh4A[/YOUTUBE]

Edit: You can hear a bit of his new song Staring At The Sun :teehee:

Here the translation:

In life it is important to change. I always wanted the best. I changed city, country, neighbors. Changed step, changed idea, mind, opinion. And now I changed smartphone. I chose who gives me more. With "3", I've got IPhone6. "Three is a magic numeber".

Edited by Marta.

Here the translation:

In life it is important to change. I always wanted the best. I changed city, country, neighbors. Changed step, changed idea, mind, opinion. And now I changed smartphone. I chose who gives me more. With "3", I've got IPhone6. "Three is a magic numeber".

Mika is magic not 3! ;) I love Staring at the sun! :):mika3:

They started to show the ad on TV all the time....Mika is everywhere.... :teehee:

"Here I stand, staring at the sun!!!" I like it, it's really powerful! :thumb_yello:

That's awesome! Wish we had an ad like this in the UK. I am jealous. :teehee:

Oh no, Mika is on TV... making $$$... reaching a wider audience... how absolutely dreadful!!!1

I really don't give a :badword: if there are people on twitter complaining about the commercials being annoying. It's not like that's the same thing as losing fans - the peopling whining about it wouldn't have bought the albums or gone to shows anyway. They don't matter. Since when did anyone in this fandom care if some people don't like him?

I think people have a tendency to forget that Mika is a grown man who makes his own decisions... you'd think he'd been coerced to do half the things he's done, from the way people talk.

And I really don't understand because Adam Levine of Maroon 5 has done many of the exact same things Mika has - he's judged on shows and been in Proactiv commercials (which is WAY more embarrassing than an iPhone ad) - and as far as I can tell it's had no negative impact on his career whatsoever and no one dumps on him the way Mika's own fans dump on him.

Oh no, Mika is on TV... making $$$... reaching a wider audience... how absolutely dreadful!!!1

I really don't give a :badword: if there are people on twitter complaining about the commercials being annoying. It's not like that's the same thing as losing fans - the peopling whining about it wouldn't have bought the albums or gone to shows anyway. They don't matter. Since when did anyone in this fandom care if some people don't like him?

I think people have a tendency to forget that Mika is a grown man who makes his own decisions... you'd think he'd been coerced to do half the things he's done, from the way people talk.

And I really don't understand because Adam Levine of Maroon 5 has done many of the exact same things Mika has - he's judged on shows and been in Proactiv commercials (which is WAY more embarrassing than an iPhone ad) - and as far as I can tell it's had no negative impact on his career whatsoever and no one dumps on him the way Mika's own fans dump on him.

Can I just correct you there. He's not technically reaching a wider audience. This ad is just being shown in Italy, so not really reaching anyone outside of there, therefore no one in say S.Africa is any the wiser to this new song, if they don't see the ad.

And Adam Levine, and Maroon 5 haven't lost their impetus throughout their career, as Mika did, so you can't really compare the two.

Can I just correct you there. He's not technically reaching a wider audience. This ad is just being shown in Italy, so not really reaching anyone outside of there, therefore no one in say S.Africa is any the wiser to this new song, if they don't see the ad.

And Adam Levine, and Maroon 5 haven't lost their impetus throughout their career, as Mika did, so you can't really compare the two.

It's a wider audience in that people will hear the song and see him even if they wouldn't hear a song on the radio or watch X Factor. Unless I'm missing something about how often/on what channels the ads are played, anyway.

As for this so called loss of impetus - I don't think it exists. Mika's TV appearances and other commitments outside of recording have nothing to do with the fact that he is known as a "one hit wonder" to some and hasn't gone fully mainstream. His popularity already tapered off long before these things occurred.

What's more, if you look only at facts, there's not much reason to be upset about the delay on releasing this album. TOOL only came out in September of 2012... it has only just now been a little more than 2 years. The next record will surely come out in 2015 - 2-3 years is a completely normal span of time between albums. There was actually more time between LICM and TBWKTM than there has been between the release of TOOL and now.

Basically, I think these problems are imaginary.

If there is one problem with his career that can be pinpointed, I would be inclined to blame whoever is in charge of his marketing + promotion. The website is an absolute embarrassment - it still refers to TOOL as new ("available now"). The Facebook page frequently misquotes song lyrics and makes other glaring errors. That whole aspect of things is very amateurish. I don't really know what the story is behind it all, but he obviously needs a better team working for him.

It's a wider audience in that people will hear the song and see him even if they wouldn't hear a song on the radio or watch X Factor. Unless I'm missing something about how often/on what channels the ads are played, anyway.

As for this so called loss of impetus - I don't think it exists. Mika's TV appearances and other commitments outside of recording have nothing to do with the fact that he is known as a "one hit wonder" to some and hasn't gone fully mainstream. His popularity already tapered off long before these things occurred.

What's more, if you look only at facts, there's not much reason to be upset about the delay on releasing this album. TOOL only came out in September of 2012... it has only just now been a little more than 2 years. The next record will surely come out in 2015 - 2-3 years is a completely normal span of time between albums. There was actually more time between LICM and TBWKTM than there has been between the release of TOOL and now.

Basically, I think these problems are imaginary.

If there is one problem with his career that can be pinpointed, I would be inclined to blame whoever is in charge of his marketing + promotion. The website is an absolute embarrassment - it still refers to TOOL as new ("available now"). The Facebook page frequently misquotes song lyrics and makes other glaring errors. That whole aspect of things is very amateurish. I don't really know what the story is behind it all, but he obviously needs a better team working for him.

With TOOL, There was barely any radio play in the UK of it. And that tapered off after Celebrate, the initial song from the album. No effort was made to release any other song from it, despite on some interviews he did do, it being suggested by Graham Norton and Dermot O' Leary that Stardust would be an excellent follow up. This would have got him lots of airplay on the radio from them, a spot no doubt on Grahams tv show, and if Dermot has any pull on X Factor at all, a spot on there too. So the last 2 years, e might have well not even bothered having an album out, as it's not even made a blip on the radar here, or indeed many other countries.

And before you start accusing me of being negative, a term I am starting to get a little tired of hearing quite frankly, I was blasting posts all across Twitter and FB when TOOL came out, promoting the hell out of it in my own small way, even with Celebrate.

Then it was announced that the TOOL single was being released and again I started doing what I could to promote it, only to find it wasn't released, and made to feel like a complete idiot for telling everyone I knew that it was coming out.

I've supported Mika through thick and thin, with his music, and will continue to do so for as long as he keeps making it. And I get more than a little irritated when I feel that some people assume I'm not being.

With the new song, so far I haven't even given any opinion on it yet, as I want to hear more before I do.The only thing I've said is I don't think that an ad is the best way to promo it. Especially as it won't get seen outside of Italy. It's hardly helping it get heard globally, which if you are going to promo new material, especially if it is the prelude to a new album coming out, you want to do something that is going to be heard by the global fanbase, not just a tiny part of it.

I guess that this is his teams way of using him as a brand linking him with other brands, to promote him. But it won't work on a global scale, if he is only seen in a small area.

Since when did anyone in this fandom care if some people don't like him?

Unless by "this fandom" you mean yourself and not the thousands of fans I've encountered in the past 8 years then the answer to that question is: always. For some there is no distinction between criticizing Mika and being attacked themselves. There are people who fought with and loathed other fans for daring to think Mika is gay. When your fantasies about someone are sitting atop a house of cards you tend to get very upset when a strong wind blows through. :naughty:

I don't feel offended by anything anyone says about Mika and have only been annoyed when what they say is factually inaccurate or an attempt to directly harass him by saying cruel things (ie on Twitter). But I have been called an asshole, a racist, an abuser of women and children (yes I am serious) because I had the audacity to say that Mika's decision to go on X Factor sucks. This unhinges some people to the point where they will engage in criminal level harassment.

But aside from the emotional element there is a pragmatic reason to care what people think. Because what they think has the power to sell or flop records. There was a lot of angst in the early days over Mika becoming too popular, too loved by too many and therefore inaccessible. People said they didn't want his popularity to grow. Unfortunately they got what they wished for because for people outside of Italy and France he is not more popular and less accessible than ever.

I really don't understand because Adam Levine of Maroon 5 has done many of the exact same things Mika has

Because Adam Levine is doing these things at home. There is a huge stigma attached to failing so badly in the UK or US you have to go elsewhere, for the same reason that breaking in the UK or US is the dream of every would-be popstar. What people think matters and they are not all people who would never buy his records anyway. Millions of them bought LICM. People in the music industry praised and promoted him and influenced what other people think about Mika. Their opinion matters.

What's more, if you look only at facts, there's not much reason to be upset about the delay on releasing this album. TOOL only came out in September of 2012... it has only just now been a little more than 2 years.

I don't care if he spends 5 years making an album but I question what kind of result you can expect by squeezing the writing, recording and promoting between 4 TV shows and the million other things that are dividing his time.

The Facebook page frequently misquotes song lyrics and makes other glaring errors.

I don't think it matters much any more. The majority of people on there do not speak English well enough to notice. I saw a fan complaining that she couldn't understand a lyrics post because it wasn't in French. She didn't even recognize they were lyrics. Besides the interest in hot pics of Mika over text posts is about 20:1.

Well, let me clarify: obviously any fan would care if people like him or not in that obviously we all want what's best for him and for him to be sucessful. But the kind of success where there isn't anyone complaining about you on Twitter doesn't exist. Basically, I don't think it's really something to be concerned with.

I'm also wondering about how success is supposed to be defined. Clearly Mika isn't exactly a big name in the UK or the US, but the fact remains he sold out some shows last time he came to the states. So he may not be successful in the sense of radio play and whatnot, but the fanbase is very devoted and ticket sales are a huge deal (artists usually make more off of concerts + merch than album sales or radio play, after all).

I guess I'm just not seeing a connection between any of these non-musical commitments and his failure to attain superstardom? Like I said, his success tapered off after LICM, before any of this happened - so the only connection I can see is that he's making the best of a bad situation, and even that seems a bit cynical. It's not uncommon at all for artists to be hailed as the Next Big Thing when they first appear only to be ignored on their sophomore album, and there's not always much rhyme or reason to it.

It makes sense, I guess, to be disappointed that his career has taken this path as opposed to a more successful one, but I don't understand why things like this are frequently touted as the reason he isn't more successful. To me, it just seems like he's doing what he wants and enjoying a comfortable level of success.

Well, let me clarify: obviously any fan would care if people like him or not in that obviously we all want what's best for him and for him to be sucessful. But the kind of success where there isn't anyone complaining about you on Twitter doesn't exist. Basically, I don't think it's really something to be concerned with.

I'm also wondering about how success is supposed to be defined. Clearly Mika isn't exactly a big name in the UK or the US, but the fact remains he sold out some shows last time he came to the states. So he may not be successful in the sense of radio play and whatnot, but the fanbase is very devoted and ticket sales are a huge deal (artists usually make more off of concerts + merch than album sales or radio play, after all).

I guess I'm just not seeing a connection between any of these non-musical commitments and his failure to attain superstardom? Like I said, his success tapered off after LICM, before any of this happened - so the only connection I can see is that he's making the best of a bad situation, and even that seems a bit cynical. It's not uncommon at all for artists to be hailed as the Next Big Thing when they first appear only to be ignored on their sophomore album, and there's not always much rhyme or reason to it.

It makes sense, I guess, to be disappointed that his career has taken this path as opposed to a more successful one, but I don't understand why things like this are frequently touted as the reason he isn't more successful. To me, it just seems like he's doing what he wants and enjoying a comfortable level of success.

I just wanted to respond to this point, especially as regards to his popularity across the globe. His comfortable level of success in this case is only in 3, maybe 4 countries, in the whole of the world. When he goes back on tour next year, we will have people across the globe expecting him to play in their countries, but as devoted as the fanbases are in these countries, they aren't going to completely fill venues. Only the shows in the countries he has the success you mention is this going to happen, and I'm not trying to be negative saying this, it does happen to be true. The last time he played the UK for example, he cancelled the Glasgow show. The reason given was because he was told by the doctor to cancel, which he may well have been told to do, as he'd had throat problems in Europe a month earlier, but it was common knowledge that it wasn't selling well, and his Glasgow shows previously ALWAYS sold out.

He has got a global fanbase, and we are waiting for him to come back strongly with the new album, so that we can give him the success back that he had before, but it is a 2 way street, and if he wants to get his popularity back to where it was before, he has to make himself accessible, doing more promo than he did before.in whatever form it takes to get the album noticed.

Any artist will sell out shows if the promoters choose the right size venue. I think it is more informative to say Mika sold 700 tickets in NYC than to say he sold out a show in NYC. Sam Smith also just sold out his NYC show but the venue is Madison Square Garden. You cannot even compare their levels of success at the moment.

The other issue is that there seem to be hundreds of scalpers now making a living off of ticket sales because of Stub Hub. They buy up between 25-50% of all tickets and resell them. Mika's shows were selling out in minutes because scalpers were buying them, not only fans. A friend of mine bought a $60 Toronto ticket for $13 on Stubhub because the demand for the pool of tickets snapped up by scalpers was so low.

This is not to say that fans wouldn't have bought all the tickets if they could or that Mika can't sell more than 700 tickets in NYC but unless and until he comes back and plays the 3000-capacity venues he did in 2009 we can't use "sell out shows" as a measurement of how successful he is here and how many loyal fans remain. In my experience the hardcores in Toronto are gone. We had tickets to give away on MFC and no one applied for them. I went directly to fans who were at the 2009 show to offer them and no one wanted them. I saw a few more familiar faces in the US but still, the majority didn't turn up for the 2013 shows. Earlier in his career he appealed to teenagers in the US but they have now grown up and moved on.

I guess I'm just not seeing a connection between any of these non-musical commitments and his failure to attain superstardom?

Because being a successful musical artist is a full time job, not something you do on the train between Milan and Paris. Adele is off creating her next masterpiece that is sure to sell millions. She is not faffing around designing watches and selling iPhones. I take your point about things declining after LICM and Mika is no fool for snapping up some lucrative offers but it is not the path to selling records and gig tickets outside of French and Italian markets.

Whether Mika cares at all about doing that anymore, I have no idea. You are likely correct that is happy doing what he's doing and can call himself a star in some markets. But there are fans outside those markets who are not going to be happy with what he's doing because it is alienating and exclusionary and it makes him inaccessible. It's not that they don't care about his happiness, but they wish he could be happy as a more or less full time musician because that is what drew them to him in the first place. Maybe it's out of Mika's hands and there is nothing he could possibly do to change it but the fact of the matter is he/his team appear to have stopped trying.

Hi again.

Thought I'd bob in and say hi again. I have been keeping up with the Mika stuff, but haven't logged in or commented because I'd be getting on everyone's nerves with talking about the UK.

I am going to buy the album when it's out, but I won't buy the book, unless there is an English version. I'm not going to be one of the fans who will buy anything of his, just because he's done it.

I agree with you, Christine, about the ticket sales. The fact is, the venues he plays in the UK (and other places that aren't France and Italy) are very small, and even then, he can't always sell them out. I don't understand why he doesn't make some kind of effort in the English speaking countries, to get back on top.

He could star in an ad over here and get one of his songs played.

He doesn't need to do reality shows like Big Brother, but why doesn't he go on one of the celebrity quizzes? He could raise money for charity, and get his personality across again.

His album won't be successful here if he doesn't get his butt back here and promote it somehow.

He should tweet about how the album is progressing and what he intends to do to give it the best chance in all countries, not just Italy and France

He should stop doing TV ads in Italy and France, and release one in the UK and USA.

I've sent him a Christmas card. In it I wrote that he really should do something to promote his album in the UK, otherwise it won't do well.

I hope he takes notice. I'm sure I won't be the only person urging him to come back to the UK and help to raise his profile and promote his album.

Hi again.

Thought I'd bob in and say hi again. I have been keeping up with the Mika stuff, but haven't logged in or commented because I'd be getting on everyone's nerves with talking about the UK.

I am going to buy the album when it's out, but I won't buy the book, unless there is an English version. I'm not going to be one of the fans who will buy anything of his, just because he's done it.

I agree with you, Christine, about the ticket sales. The fact is, the venues he plays in the UK (and other places that aren't France and Italy) are very small, and even then, he can't always sell them out. I don't understand why he doesn't make some kind of effort in the English speaking countries, to get back on top.

He could star in an ad over here and get one of his songs played.

He doesn't need to do reality shows like Big Brother, but why doesn't he go on one of the celebrity quizzes? He could raise money for charity, and get his personality across again.

His album won't be successful here if he doesn't get his butt back here and promote it somehow.

He should tweet about how the album is progressing and what he intends to do to give it the best chance in all countries, not just Italy and France

He should stop doing TV ads in Italy and France, and release one in the UK and USA.

I've sent him a Christmas card. In it I wrote that he really should do something to promote his album in the UK, otherwise it won't do well.

I hope he takes notice. I'm sure I won't be the only person urging him to come back to the UK and help to raise his profile and promote his album.

Hi Marilyn! Great to see you're back!!:huglove: Hope you stay - and follow the exciting days, with new alb. coming up ...:mikadas:

Love,love

me