Mika's career choices discussion

crazyaboutmika

I have to say ... and no one will care what I think ... that if Mika announced a new album and tour next week I'd doubt I'd go to be honest ... I've completely lost interest in him ... for the first time since I was 6 or 7 years old I'm not a fan of a musician ... it's kind of a strange feeling ... I'm just not at all interested in anything he's doing ... and believe me it's been kind of a gradual thing ... but ... I have actually hidden and blocked posts on my FB timeline about anything to do with X Factor or The Voice as I'm so sick of seeing it ... I only still come in and post as I have friends here ... I have other interests now and that's cool with me ... I don't know how I really feel about him anymore ... but the fact that I don't really care at all is kind of sad ...

Okay, like Mika chooses to do things, or not for reasons NOONE of us can judge everyone has the choice to avoid from him, I see no reason to do for myself and I'm soooo tired to explain what I think, it's senseless, some are surly more wise ,,,,,: Need my energy for other things

I have to say ... and no one will care what I think ... that if Mika announced a new album and tour next week I'd doubt I'd go to be honest ... I've completely lost interest in him ... for the first time since I was 6 or 7 years old I'm not a fan of a musician ... it's kind of a strange feeling ... I'm just not at all interested in anything he's doing ... and believe me it's been kind of a gradual thing ... but ... I have actually hidden and blocked posts on my FB timeline about anything to do with X Factor or The Voice as I'm so sick of seeing it ... I only still come in and post as I have friends here ... I have other interests now and that's cool with me ... I don't know how I really feel about him anymore ... but the fact that I don't really care at all is kind of sad ...

You know, as harsh as your words sound like, it is most of the actual reality. You don't have to feel bad because I'm not either interested in XFactor Italia or The Voice France (and it's totally not because of language issues since I'm fairly good at both). The whole concept of TV shows doesn't appeal to any musical activity and since I'm very involved (in a fan way) in music, there's just nothing to do with this. Nowadays, I am very active in the Coldplay Forum because they have a #1 album out, promotion, and an upcoming world tour. But the reason why I'm still here is because of the amazing community that MFC is and because, let's not hide it, I have quite a big musical attachment to Mika. I love his music, I love him as an artist and it is a total shame that he's hiding this huge talent behind chairs. The reason why I'm seeing him live next year is because I think this is how a talented singer-songwriter should please his fans.

To be honest, I can totally compare the Coldplay album with the Origin of Love. Why did one sell more than the other? They both have a very simplistic aspect to it and are way more electro-pop than what they used to be. But it's the presence and the promotion. It's only that. Not because Mika's songs are less well done (because honestly there are songs that are exceptional on this album, more than the other first two). And I think it's sad that he's losing fans because of his lack of involvement in the mainstream music world since it's where he belongs. Anyways Laurel, you helped me get out of my cocoon and kind of share my opinion too because I was kind of scared to get it all out and repeat what a few others have already mentioned. :teehee:

I see Sam Smith is using a Channel 4 advert break to play the whole of his latest single - might be something for Mika to consider, as he doesn't get UK airplay.

very sad to read that

I see Sam Smith is using a Channel 4 advert break to play the whole of his latest single - might be something for Mika to consider, as he doesn't get UK airplay.

Record companies only use advert time for already popular acts as adverts cost a ****load of money.

That's sad, but I can understand why you feel that way. You're from the UK and he's just not doing anything to get back on top over here.

I'm proud of his success in Italy and France, but they are not the whole world. Mika is so talented, he should be selling out stadiums in many countries, not just Italy and France.

Unfortunately that's all he seems to be concentrating on. He's doing something now with this guy Dario Fo and the Italian fans seem thrilled about it. It's good for them and it's going to be on TV in Italy. But will the UK hear about it? I doubt it. I, personality have never even heard of the guy.

I just wish he would do something in the UK. I know that he, possibly, thinks the UK is a lost cause, but he did well here before, he could do so again. He just needs to come home and promote himself!

At the moment, Britain's Got Talent, is on, and on the results show, artists come on to sing their new singles. It would be ideal promotion for Mika, to sing his new song. It's not going to do well in the UK, if he doesn't sing it on some show on UKTV. There doesn't seem to be any sign of him coming here to promote the song.

He's announced that he's doing The X Factor in Italy again. He's really popular there, but that's because they have had the chance to know him, but up to now, there's no mention, from him, of anything in the UK this year, and I really hoped that, by now, he would have mentioned something he had planned in UK.

He could also think of other countries, like the US. I know he's got that orchestra gig next year, and it's in Canada, but it's the French part of the country, will it even be mentioned in the UK, or other English speaking countries?

I'm not surprised that people from UK, who loved him in 2007, are finding other interests. Mika will loose all his UK fans if he doesn't come back, but if he came back to promote his new song, he could get even more fans. I really hope that he will do so, before it really is too late.

Record companies only use advert time for already popular acts as adverts cost a ****load of money.

This is a collaboration with Google - nothing to do with the record company

Google UK's Stephen Rosenthal said: "Through Google Play Music, we're looking to shake up the way music lovers connect with the bands and tracks they love."

This is a collaboration with Google - nothing to do with the record company

Google UK's Stephen Rosenthal said: "Through Google Play Music, we're looking to shake up the way music lovers connect with the bands and tracks they love."

Yeah, well in that case, Google pumps in a lot of money and they wouldn't do that if Sam Smith wasn't already super popular.

I feel about the same way as Laurel as I'm sure most people know. I imagine I will listen to Mika's new album and would go to a gig in Toronto but I can't see me ever travelling to a gig unless he starts investing himself properly in his music again. Even then I feel like the magic is gone permanently and it would have to be a special event or a city like New York where I would want to go anyway to meet up with North American fans, rather than be motivated by seeing Mika.

There were so many arguments about "side projects" but it is impossible to argue now that Mika's involvement in TV, etc. are projects on the side. It is music that is a side venture for him. I mean 2014 is the year for working on an album and how many weeks has he spent doing that out of the first 5 months? How many more months this year is he going to be completely tied up with other commitments? This is his career now and I don't see him going back to focusing full time on music that is accessible to his fans. It is just something to be squeezed in between more lucrative ventures.

Dare I say it?

OK, I will.

Sam who?

He has the #1 single in the UK at the moment and it looks like he will bump Coldplay out of the #1 album spot in a few days.

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/sam-smiths-debut-album-on-track-to-knock-coldplay-off-number-1-3042/

Thanks, Christine.

I don't follow British music as much as I used to, back when I had to carry my stone tablets to school in a saber-toothed tiger's skin.

I feel about the same way as Laurel as I'm sure most people know. I imagine I will listen to Mika's new album and would go to a gig in Toronto but I can't see me ever travelling to a gig unless he starts investing himself properly in his music again. Even then I feel like the magic is gone permanently and it would have to be a special event or a city like New York where I would want to go anyway to meet up with North American fans, rather than be motivated by seeing Mika.

There were so many arguments about "side projects" but it is impossible to argue now that Mika's involvement in TV, etc. are projects on the side. It is music that is a side venture for him. I mean 2014 is the year for working on an album and how many weeks has he spent doing that out of the first 5 months? How many more months this year is he going to be completely tied up with other commitments? This is his career now and I don't see him going back to focusing full time on music that is accessible to his fans. It is just something to be squeezed in between more lucrative ventures.

He has the #1 single in the UK at the moment and it looks like he will bump Coldplay out of the #1 album spot in a few days.

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/sam-smiths-debut-album-on-track-to-knock-coldplay-off-number-1-3042/

I know that you don't like the reality shows. I respect your view. However, I would be thrilled if he was on a reality show in the UK. It would help people here to know him again. At the moment it would take a lot to get the UK interested in Mika again. They need a chance to get to know him, the way Italy has.

I agree with you about the music. It's the most important thing of Mika, but without something in UK to gain the people's attention again, he doesn't stand a chance of his new single getting into the charts.

The only good thing that's happened recently, is that Nicole Kidman film, with GK, but that still doesn't tell people that Mika has great new music. The only hope is that people look him up after being reminded of him.

He definitely could do with a song in an advert on TV here. It would be a way to get it played. It's no use him just releasing his song without something to back it up. It could be the best song ever, but it would flop, like Rain, BIOTG, Kick Ass, OOL and Underwater in the UK.

So if Mika was on a reality show in the UK, I'd be ecstatic, because it would help his music to get into the UK charts again.

That's my own opinion. I respect all others views, and even understand them.

I know that you don't like the reality shows. I respect your view. However, I would be thrilled if he was on a reality show in the UK. It would help people here to know him again. At the moment it would take a lot to get the UK interested in Mika again. They need a chance to get to know him, the way Italy has.

Honestly I am not convinced that the people in the UK would like what they see. I watched The Voice and it is an okay show. But Mika did not appeal to me. I found him obnoxious, his clothes were ridiculous, aside from the one Underwater performance his singing was not good. And this is coming from someone who used to love him and found him endlessly charming and one of the best singers in the world. I think the minute Mika traded in his Converse for Louboutins he became someone who doesn't appeal to the Brits and unless he comes back down to earth he never will.

Maybe you're right though that any TV exposure is going to make a big difference. But it remains to be seen if it's even going to have a huge impact in France. Mika had plenty of promo in France for TOOL. EMD was a huge success but the album was not, compared to LICM. I think his fame will create a big initial boost but if the songs on the new album are not inherently hit songs it will fade quickly like TOOL did.

If you had asked me a couple of years ago I would have said of course this is not a problem, Mika will make great songs and his success is guaranteed. But I am not convinced anymore. TOOL has not held up for me. Aside from enjoying Mika's voice I don't think most of the tracks are great songs. The original Stardust and Overrated are the only ones I will ever load onto my iPod again.

And now he's more distracted than ever, less focused on music than ever so I find it difficult to imagine a masterpiece is going to emerge out from under TV show after TV show.

But I guess we will see. Songs don't have to be great to be hits and my tastes don't speak for all of France or the UK. I hope he will be successful. But it's hard to envision myself getting back on board in any case.

So if Mika was on a reality show in the UK, I'd be ecstatic, because it would help his music to get into the UK charts again.

I understand and respect your view too. The music business is funny and Mika is totally unpredictable to me these days so anything is possible. I just do not have a lot of hope it's going to make any difference to me in the end where his career and his success takes him.

I honestly don't think it would help Mika here if he performed every night on Britains Got Talent to be honest ... I just don't think he's relevant anymore ... and he did perform Celebrate on Strictly Come Dancing didn't he - before the album came out ... it did nothing ... he's just not good enough for people to buy into him ... and you're right about the TOOL album Christine ... I've not listened to it at all apart from when Rose played it in the car on the way to Scotland for Kath's Birthday ... I've not listened to him at all really for the last 18 months :dunno: I still do like Overrated and Stardust though.

I honestly don't think it would help Mika here if he performed every night on Britains Got Talent to be honest ... I just don't think he's relevant anymore ... and he did perform Celebrate on Strictly Come Dancing didn't he - before the album came out ... it did nothing ... he's just not good enough for people to buy into him ... and you're right about the TOOL album Christine ... I've not listened to it at all apart from when Rose played it in the car on the way to Scotland for Kath's Birthday ... I've not listened to him at all really for the last 18 months :dunno: I still do like Overrated and Stardust though.

I must admit that I like TOOL. But Celebrate was the worst single ever. That's why, even though he performed it on Strictly, it didn't make an impact. I think it was probably better before it was adapted for Pharrel Williams. It was China Boy originally, from what I heard. So I don't blame Mika, I blame the record company. I think, if Underwater or OOL had been sung on Strictly, it might have been a different story.

But there's no way to know for sure.

I've been impressed with Popular Song. I love the song, and I love the way the video has consistently gained hits on YouTube. I think the video for Popular Song is better than every other video of his, apart from Happy Ending. I think it could be a popular song if it was played on UK Radio, but it hasn't been.

It's hard to think what he could do for the best in UK. But I wish he would announce something, or just tweet something like... "I haven't forgotten my UK fans. Watch this space for a great announcement." Then we would know something was coming, and I can be patient, if I know something is coming.

On the subject of announcements. Is anyone else heartily sick of certain new fans, using the Mika News and Press section to advertise news items, and movies, that are nothing to do with Mika? It gets me so cross, because sometimes I think that's some movie that Mika is involved in, or something else important in the Mikaverse, only to find out its something not about him at all.

I hope the mods are on it, because it's getting on my (and I'm sure other fans) nerves.

But I am not convinced anymore. TOOL has not held up for me. Aside from enjoying Mika's voice I don't think most of the tracks are great songs. The original Stardust and Overrated are the only ones I will ever load onto my iPod again.

Honestly, it's not even about the songs anymore, at that point. Yes there are people that are known for their good songs, but it's getting... Not rare but lesser. It's promotion. I compared it to Coldplay earlier: Coldplay's Ghost Stories is nothing like Parachutes and most fans are complaining that the album is disappointing. But did it sell? Yes. Why? They promoted as much as they could. They even put up huge banners on the routes in few countries. The music in it is comparable to TOOL: Electro-pop. Different direction than their first ones. They described GS as more personal and intimate: like TOOL. Celebrate was not a good choice of first single but why was it chosen? The answer is Pharrell. Why didn't it sell? No promotion in US and UK. He also barely had interviews. Anyways... I get your views guys, I think it's a shame that it's ending that way for him...

I agree with you about the music. It's the most important thing of Mika, but without something in UK to gain the people's attention again, he doesn't stand a chance of his new single getting into the charts.

The only good thing that's happened recently, is that Nicole Kidman film, with GK, but that still doesn't tell people that Mika has great new music. The only hope is that people look him up after being reminded of him.

He definitely could do with a song in an advert on TV here. It would be a way to get it played. It's no use him just releasing his song without something to back it up. It could be the best song ever, but it would flop, like Rain, BIOTG, Kick Ass, OOL and Underwater in the UK.

My sister was in Liege on her way back from holiday, on the Saturday of The Voice final, and to be honest it wasn't Mika who got her attention, she was listening to the singers, and they didn't impress her either.

She mentioned seeing Mika on it and she wasn't a big fan of his suit. The last time we had a proper conversation about him was when I played her and my niece the sampler for TOOL, which they both said they liked a whole lot more than the first two albums. They liked the direction he seemed to be going in with it.

The problem is the preconceived ideas people here have of him musically, and I think he needs to push his new music hard to get people to realise he is moving away from that era now, these reality shows I don't think help at all, as he doesn't push his own music properly, as they are actually supposed to be about the contestants, NOT the judges/coaches.

Honestly, it's not even about the songs anymore, at that point. Yes there are people that are known for their good songs, but it's getting... Not rare but lesser. It's promotion. I compared it to Coldplay earlier: Coldplay's Ghost Stories is nothing like Parachutes and most fans are complaining that the album is disappointing. But did it sell? Yes. Why? They promoted as much as they could. They even put up huge banners on the routes in few countries. The music in it is comparable to TOOL: Electro-pop. Different direction than their first ones. They described GS as more personal and intimate: like TOOL. Celebrate was not a good choice of first single but why was it chosen? The answer is Pharrell. Why didn't it sell? No promotion in US and UK. He also barely had interviews. Anyways... I get your views guys, I think it's a shame that it's ending that way for him...

Ha ha, the new Coldplay album is so bad, it's #1in the UK:naughty:

The problem is that Mika *might* get a guest spot on a UK show to sing a single song, but I don't think he's popular enough there now for anyone to ask him to act as a judge/coach. And that's really the only way the audience would get to "know" his personality. So while I agree with you that getting some exposure in the UK is important, I don't think it's going to be from this sort of show. At least not right now. :no:

On the subject of announcements. Is anyone else heartily sick of certain new fans, using the Mika News and Press section to advertise news items, and movies, that are nothing to do with Mika? It gets me so cross, because sometimes I think that's some movie that Mika is involved in, or something else important in the Mikaverse, only to find out its something not about him at all.

I hope the mods are on it, because it's getting on my (and I'm sure other fans) nerves.

I'm not sure what you're talking about here, Marilyn. Can you point me to a specific thread? Or maybe you're talking about the spammers that keep popping up, advertising bootleg copies of movies and such? Those we delete and ban as soon as we see them, so you might be seeing those before we do. But if it's something else, please let me know! Thanks!

Is anyone else heartily sick of certain new fans, using the Mika News and Press section to advertise news items, and movies, that are nothing to do with Mika? It gets me so cross, because sometimes I think that's some movie that Mika is involved in, or something else important in the Mikaverse, only to find out its something not about him at all.

Those are not fans they are spammers from Pakistan, China, etc. so they are often active when mods are not online. :aah:

Honestly, it's not even about the songs anymore, at that point. Yes there are people that are known for their good songs, but it's getting... Not rare but lesser. It's promotion. I compared it to Coldplay earlier: Coldplay's Ghost Stories is nothing like Parachutes and most fans are complaining that the album is disappointing. But did it sell? Yes. Why? They promoted as much as they could.

I think Coldplay is a very different case from Mika though because they have had a long, solid run. They were critically acclaimed for many years and they have surely gained many fans over that time who will buy their music regardless. Even not so big fans who just think Coldplay is "good" because that's what everyone has been telling them for more than a decade.

Mika was a one-hit wonder in the UK. His critical acclaim only lasted a matter of months until there was a backlash. It is going to take more than making him visible to get people to buy his music. If people do not think he has credibility as a musician and do not think he is cool and do not relate to him they won't be interested unless the music is so good it speaks for itself.

.... I think the minute Mika traded in his Converse for Louboutins he became someone who doesn't appeal to the Brits and unless he comes back down to earth he never will.

Can I ask you what happened? :blink:

My sister was in Liege on her way back from holiday, on the Saturday of The Voice final, and to be honest it wasn't Mika who got her attention, she was listening to the singers, and they didn't impress her either.

She mentioned seeing Mika on it and she wasn't a big fan of his suit. The last time we had a proper conversation about him was when I played her and my niece the sampler for TOOL, which they both said they liked a whole lot more than the first two albums. They liked the direction he seemed to be going in with it.

The problem is the preconceived ideas people here have of him musically, and I think he needs to push his new music hard to get people to realise he is moving away from that era now, these reality shows I don't think help at all, as he doesn't push his own music properly, as they are actually supposed to be about the contestants, NOT the judges/coaches.

That's what I think too. People have this idea of Mika, that he writes these pop songs that are more like songs from The Wizard of Oz, than serious songs. This is why Celebrate was such a bad choice of single, because, like BIOTG, it reinforced that view.

I would have loved, I See You, to be a single from the 2nd album. It's so beautiful and he sings it so well. From TOOL, Underwater, should have been the lead single imo, or Overrated, which is more a rock song, and would have made people look at Mika in a whole new light.

Is it too late for Mika to be able to get back on track in UK? Maybe it is. If so, It's the saddest thing to happen to music, because there was such potential. I really believed, back in 2007/8 that Mika would be ruling the British pop scene by now andwould have broken into the US market too. I thought he would have had the impact that Adele has had, throughout the world.

But promotion is the key. Without that, he won't ever get back on top. Coldplay have the right idea. But at the moment, with Mika, It's all about Italy and France, so he isn't going to do well in the UK for the foreseeable future. Maybe not ever.

Deb. This tablet won't let me mq but I want to answer you. The things I've been seeing are, probably the spam things you mentioned. I tend to see them when I come on to the forum in a morning. I thought they were from people who had joined the forum, because I didn't know people who weren't members, could open threads.

They are always on the News and Press section, advertising movies and mentioning news items that aren't Mika related.

I'm really glad the mods are on to it. Thank you.

Deb. This tablet won't let me mq but I want to answer you. The things I've been seeing are, probably the spam things you mentioned. I tend to see them when I come on to the forum in a morning. I thought they were from people who had joined the forum, because I didn't know people who weren't members, could open threads.

They are always on the News and Press section, advertising movies and mentioning news items that aren't Mika related.

I'm really glad the mods are on to it. Thank you.

OK, thanks, Marilyn. These spammers actually do join the MFC, so that's how they can open the threads. As Christine said, most of them tend in come online while we're asleep, but every time one of us moderators logs in that's the first thing we check for, so hopefully we're getting them all.

Can I ask you what happened? :blink:

:naughty:

at the beginning he used to wear Converse, skinny trousers and t-shirts.

When he began to wear Louboutins we felt as if he totally traded his spontaneity for something posh and fake...IMHO.

But of course it's not all about the shoes...maybe it's only his true nature which surfaced at one point :wink2: