Mika's career choices discussion

crazyaboutmika

As for not getting any younger, I don't know what's up with that.

I'm 50 this year, which I was told by a member is the new 30. And I feel sometimes like I'm 19.

There must be something in the water... :naughty:

I know that feeling:naughty:

I just don't take celebrity too seriously after all of that. I can't.

I am not interested in celebrity at all. I have not invested in Mika and his fan club because he is a celebrity. This person on TV wearing haute couture and showing off Kylie Minogue as his new bff and and bragging about how his fourth multi-million-dollar residence is owned by Orlando Bloom and whose lovelife if splashed all over the tabloids is a complete stranger to me and one I do not want to even know about muchless invest my time in. And therein lies the problem.

Something I haven't touched on in all this, is that I have the utmost respect for Mikas privacy.

Before these shows started, when he was just making his music and touring, he barely made the papers at all, none if them were really interested, apart from the odd time he surfaced and did interviews. So he wasn't chased around by them and pestered by paps.

But back then, as now, but not to the extent as now, but still it was going on, fans would be looking for his house, stalking the internet for pictures of him with his family, and any possible bf/gf, or him alone on his downtime away from working.

Now I get that this is considered part and parcel of people in the industry, it happens to all artists, BUT, I always feel uncomfortable myself even thinking about doing this, even when I am presented with such pics, and from the start always questioned where they came from if they looked as if they were meant to be private.

This because I have always, still do, respect his privacy, which I think he is entitled to, time away from us and the job on the whole.

So when I see people suggest I am being unsupportive of certain work that he does, I get stressed, because I do respect his privacy, which I think is as important as his career choices. I haven't plastered pap pics of him and his friends or whoever is close to him over the internet, then turn around and pontificate to people who are being unhappy about his choice to do reality tv shows, which in turn have caused him to lose more of his privacy, now the paps in the countries he is doing them in, have open season on him, which before this they weren't that bothered in him as much.

Sadly, I know, this is the down side of this new found celeb status, but I will still continue to respect his privacy, even if others that start to follow him now do not.

Edited by RAK1

....This person on TV wearing haute couture and showing off Kylie Minogue as his new bff and whose lovelife if splashed all over the tabloids is a complete stranger to me and one I do not want to even know about muchless invest my time in.

I think this is the center of the discussion. And maybe it's also represents the little wall that divides some of the old fans from new fans. I was born yesterday as Mika's fan, and for me his extravagance, his exposure, his public life, his work on television are not a problem.

I met Mika in that way, i liked him so much in that way, and thanks to all those things i entered into a beautiful world. :blush-anim-cl:

For me, all those things do not make a stranger of Mika, but the opposite: I met him and his music through them. I feel they are a part of his personality, as his work of musician.

And that is ok for me, that is simply how i feel, what i see.

But i can perfectly understand that there could be different feelings about his last choices.

I do not think there is a right way and a wrong way to consider this argument, but only a lot of different points of view. If you read all of our posts, it seems almost that we are talking about different things and about a different person.

It seems to me nice and fair to describe them all, so everyone can find a personal opinion. :huglove:

That guy with the voice of an angel is dear to all of us.

Edited by Marta.

*crawls out of hidey-hole and tries to form coherent thoughts*

i just wanted to respond to various people who says it's not "about the music" and the like. i guess i'm not sure why people say this. Yes, it's not just about his music anymore, but it is about music. It is music shows he's on, they play snippets of his music on the shows and in adverts, he's performed on the shows. It's not like he's a judge on So You Think You Can Ice Skate or idk... Britain's Best Baker or smth. By being a judge on X Factor & The Voice it's opened up opportunities like the Nutella gig, most likely the Montreal Orchestra gigs and the Rose Ball, and who know's what's next. Because of those factors he is both a celebrity and a musician (in my eyes at least). they aren't mutually exclusive, are they?

People mention the new album but if he wasn't doing these shows, would he be so motivated to work on it as much as he has? Not if last album was anything to go by :teehee: But i guess we'll know for sure when the new album is released.

what the heck am am i trying to say? um.... i guess what i'm getting at is: tho i'm by no means stoked he's judging these reality shows, i don't think it's as horrible as all that. i'm just grateful cuz it could be much, much worse.

BTW this ramble isn't directed at anyone in particular; i've been thinking these things for quite some weeks. also i apologize if anyone else has pointed this stuff out before.

oh, and i think it's handy to have the discussion here, it was so scattered before. i don't go in the Voice or X Factor threads often and it makes it harder to find things in the other threads :thumb_yello:

omg this post is a mess. i said way more than i'd planned. kthnxbai *retreats to hidey hole*

Very wise words.

Added to what you've said, which I agree with, I'll say my piece.

When his hits stopped coming and his record company stopped a lot of support, Mika could have continued to do concerts for his diehard fans. Yes, we would have gone to them, but no new fans would have. But Mika would have been the musician he was in 2007, except that, outside of the loyal fandom, no one would know him. No new opportunities would emerge for him, except, maybe, the kind of reality show that's not about music.

Maybe some fans would have preferred that scenario. I would not have. If that had happened, I still would go to see him, and sit there thinking, "what a waste of such an incredible person."

The attitude of people who disagree with the choices he's made, seems to stem from the belief that the talent shows are inferior, that he's lowered his standards by doing them. But they are about music. They give people a chance of fame, that they might not get otherwise.

Susan Boyle, Paul Potts, even Rylan Clarke (who's become my favourite presenter on UK TV) Reality talent shows gave them the chance they needed, and more people besides. In the past, Opportunity Knocks and New Faces, filled many a variety Bill with talent discovered on those shows.

Mika is good on these types of shows, ironically because, he is a musician. No one would listen to someone whom, they knew, hadn't a clue about making music.

Mika is gaining kudos with what he's doing, and he is still recording and planning appearances. I'd sooner he was doing less concerts, in huge sold out venues, than more, in tiny places. More people are getting to know Mika, as a whole personality, by these shows. So in my book, he's doing okay.

Very wise words.

When his hits stopped coming and his record company stopped a lot of support, Mika could have continued to do concerts for his diehard fans. Yes, we would have gone to them, but no new fans would have. But Mika would have been the musician he was in 2007, except that, outside of the loyal fandom, no one would know him. No new opportunities would emerge for him, except, maybe, the kind of reality show that's not about music.

Maybe some fans would have preferred that scenario. I would not have. If that had happened, I still would go to see him, and sit there thinking, "what a waste of such an incredible person."

The attitude of people who disagree with the choices he's made, seems to stem from the belief that the talent shows are inferior, that he's lowered his standards by doing them. But they are about music. They give people a chance of fame, that they might not get otherwise.

Susan Boyle, Paul Potts, even Rylan Clarke (who's become my favourite presenter on UK TV) Reality talent shows gave them the chance they needed, and more people besides. In the past, Opportunity Knocks and New Faces, filled many a variety Bill with talent discovered on those shows.

Mika is good on these types of shows, ironically because, he is a musician. No one would listen to someone whom, they knew, hadn't a clue about making music.

Mika is gaining kudos with what he's doing, and he is still recording and planning appearances. I'd sooner he was doing less concerts, in huge sold out venues, than more, in tiny places. More people are getting to know Mika, as a whole personality, by these shows. So in my book, he's doing okay.

Come on Marilyn, it's blatantly obvious that X Factor is to mould the people who enter it to what Simon Cowell wants them to be. Most of the people who have done well at all weren't even the winners for heavens sake. There are a lot of talented people out there who don't even get to the tv stages, and I know this because a friend of mine entered and was told he wasn't what they were looking for!

And he had been singing in various amatuer groups for over 10 years at that point.

And from what I am hearing about The Voice in France, the talented singers have all been eliminated, pretty much like Lucy Spraggan a couple of years back, she got in with her own song, but it was obvious she wasn't going to go all the way, because that wouldn't conform to Simons mould.

Back in the days of Opportunity Knocks and New Faces, the entrants used their own material, did things in their own style, and that's how they did so well, both the winners and any runners up. It's certainly not like that with X Factor, though The Voice (here at least) does appear to be trying to push people with good singing style, and that ALL the people who enter it seem to have a serious musical background, that's is the reason why I am not quite so against it so much. But when the shows start focussing more on who the judges are than the actual entrants, then my interest is zero.

Come on Marilyn, it's blatantly obvious that X Factor is to mould the people who enter it to what Simon Cowell wants them to be. Most of the people who have done well at all weren't even the winners for heavens sake. There are a lot of talented people out there who don't even get to the tv stages, and I know this because a friend of mine entered and was told he wasn't what they were looking for!

And he had been singing in various amatuer groups for over 10 years at that point.

And from what I am hearing about The Voice in France, the talented singers have all been eliminated, pretty much like Lucy Spraggan a couple of years back, she got in with her own song, but it was obvious she wasn't going to go all the way, because that wouldn't conform to Simons mould.

Back in the days of Opportunity Knocks and New Faces, the entrants used their own material, did things in their own style, and that's how they did so well, both the winners and any runners up. It's certainly not like that with X Factor, though The Voice (here at least) does appear to be trying to push people with good singing style, and that ALL the people who enter it seem to have a serious musical background, that's is the reason why I am not quite so against it so much. But when the shows start focussing more on who the judges are than the actual entrants, then my interest is zero.

There are still some amazing singers in The Voice... But when you're getting down to 12 contestants, it is bound to happen that excellent candidates will have to be left out.

As for not getting any younger, I don't know what's up with that.

I'm 50 this year, which I was told by a member is the new 30. And I feel sometimes like I'm 19.

There must be something in the water... :naughty:

I know that feeling:naughty:

Me too :teehee::thumb_yello:

I think this is the center of the discussion. And maybe it's also represents the little wall that divides some of the old fans from new fans. I was born yesterday as Mika's fan, and for me his extravagance, his exposure, his public life, his work on television are not a problem.

I find that the heated discussions here are not between newbies who enjoy the "new Mika" and the older fans who are disillusioned by him. But between the older fans who are disappointed with "new Mika" and the ones who are in denial that "new Mika" even exists. This really isn't a matter of opinion to me. Anyone with eyes in their head can see that Mika has changed. It's frustrating to be talked down to as if I have the perspective of a 5 year old and am not aware of the normal changes adults go through as they mature and evolve in their 20s. That is not what is going on here.

No one is upset that Mika prioritizes other things in his life besides music. No one is upset that Mika has other creative interests. No one is upset if Mika requires years to make an album because that is his creative process. What they are upset about is that Mika is chasing money and fame. Not only is this a massive distraction from what we would all prefer he was doing but it is antithetical to the qualities that I admired him for in the first place. I find placing huge value on material things shallow. I find valuing celebrity vacuous. I find valuing high fashion and designers...well...totally repugnant. I don't consider one who moves in this direction evolving or growing in any sort of positive way. I find it a sad detour from the trajectory he was on at the age of 23 to become a critically acclaimed and universally respected singer-songwriter. I used to respect Mika a lot but I don't have any respect for these things he seems wholly consumed by at the moment.

This means-to-and-end argument doesn't hold any water. Mika is probably in the top 1% of all working musicians in terms of albums sold so the idea that he needs to be a judge on 3 TV shows in order to make a fourth album is an absurd one. Why is it that Paolo Nutini can not only make an album without resorting to selling mobile phones but it is the fastest selling album in the UK this year? Why is it #1 in Italy even though he hasn't spent 2 seasons on X Factor? Why is he not moaning that he is forced to go outside music to survive even though he has sold less albums than Mika and in fact hasn't even been really working for the past 3 years except to create a new album? Does Mika really have no record company support compared to other artists? Why are UK record company people flying to LA to listen to what he's working on if they don't still have a vested interest in a fourth album?

Mika can do whatever he wants. Fans can feel however they want about it. But some of us are not capable of ignoring facts and changing our interests and values according to the whims of a pop star. I just cannot convince myself or allow others to try to convince me that black is white and up is down. Being "positive" and "supportive" is great but not when it comes at the price of not dealing with reality.

I met Mika in that way, i liked him so much in that way, and thanks to all those things i entered into a beautiful world. :blush-anim-cl:

For me, all those things do not make a stranger of Mika, but the opposite: I met him and his music through them. I feel they are a part of his personality, as his work of musician.

But i can perfectly understand that there could be different feelings about his last choices.

I do not think there is a right way and a wrong way to consider this argument, but only a lot of different points of view. If you read all of our posts, it seems almost that we are talking about different things and about a different person.

It seems to me nice and fair to describe them all, so everyone can find a personal opinion. :huglove:

Ciao Marta :huglove:

I have to write in english to you here, which is quite funny :teehee:

Anyway...what you've said is totally understandable and I agree with you. I cannot come to your side of the pond and you don't feel like enter my territory. But we both are fond of Mika, there's no point in discussing this.

Mika has collected so many new fans with his new career that it would be pointless to discuss with all of them.

What I want to stress is that no one should feel in the wrong place. Clearly Mika is showing us different faces, and we don't like all of them, but any of us has its place in this fanclub.

I met Mika in that way, I liked him so much in that way, and thanks to all those things i entered into a beautiful world. :blush-anim-cl:

Same start, different path.

The stories about good gone old days casted a spell over me and I crave to see him performing for real like he used to do.

On saturday he said that whenever he sees pics or vids about himself performing on stage, he can't believe to have done such things.

Well, how cannot I feel a gigs longing if Mika himself admits that he's a way beyond his normal self when he performs?

So, even if I can imagine his reasons and I'm honest enough to admit that money is almost never filthy as far as I'm concerned, I still think that he's wasting his talent doing one more show. One was fine and I even agreed. Two was still quite ok. But three .... three make a whole year wasted, maybe more.

I got 100% really upset when he tweeted that ad to look for XF new contestants. It was so so so fake, so commercial style, that I felt like a border was crossed. I have no right to feel like that, I know, but I consider his twitter account as personal, meaning that Twitter was the place where he could almost be his real self with fans and not some fake celeb. OMG I felt a kind of betrayed, which is insane, I know. As I spent so much time and energies on a acquaintance in order to get closer (pls don't start the whole "he's not a friend" of yours speech cause I'm fully aware he's not, I'm just talking metaphors. I'm no fool.) just to find out that he wanted to sell a pots set to me. :annoyed_h4h:

Someone used to sing "I just don't wanna stay and wait for a wonder".

I do.

I have plenty of time and, since I'm new, plenty of energies. I want to wait and see if those good old days are gone for real. Some wait can't kill me, at least I'm practising my wait skills, I suppose I'll need plenty.

Let's see if the inconsistency between the past and the present will annoy me enough to make me give up. Sometimes I feel like to, sometimes I don't.

In the meanwhile I'll be inconsistent myself and keep trying to attend some tv shows and meet him, cause it's fun to travel and meet people and do some new experiences and blah blah blah.

I'll be positive, I'll be negative. But at least I'll call a spade a spade (and my english teacher today is ... Guylaine. Congrats).

There there, Mika. :itsok:

We incosistent people have to stick together. They eventually still love us. Mostly. Just drop the damned pots set. :aah:

Edited by Elwendin

I find that the heated discussions here are not between newbies who enjoy the "new Mika" and the older fans who are disillusioned by him. But between the older fans who are disappointed with "new Mika" and the ones who are in denial that "new Mika" even exists. This really isn't a matter of opinion to me. Anyone with eyes in their head can see that Mika has changed. It's frustrating to be talked down to as if I have the perspective of a 5 year old and am not aware of the normal changes adults go through as they mature and evolve in their 20s. That is not what is going on here.

This means-to-and-end argument doesn't hold any water. Mika is probably in the top 1% of all working musicians in terms of albums sold so the idea that he needs to be a judge on 3 TV shows in order to make a fourth album is an absurd one. Why is it that Paolo Nutini can not only make an album without resorting to selling mobile phones but it is the fastest selling album in the UK this year? Why is it #1 in Italy even though he hasn't spent 2 seasons on X Factor? Why is he not moaning that he is forced to go outside music to survive even though he has sold less albums than Mika and in fact hasn't even been really working for the past 3 years except to create a new album? Does Mika really have no record company support compared to other artists? Why are UK record company people flying to LA to listen to what he's working on if they don't still have a vested interest in a fourth album?

Mika can do whatever he wants. Fans can feel however they want about it. But some of us are not capable of ignoring facts and changing our interests and values according to the whims of a pop star. I just cannot convince myself or allow others to try to convince me that black is white and up is down. Being "positive" and "supportive" is great but not when it comes at the price of not dealing with reality.

and while i aknowledge that Mika is NOT Nutini, this is my side of the pond :naughty:

Ciao Marta :huglove:

What I want to stress is that no one should feel in the wrong place. Clearly Mika is showing us different faces, and we don't like all of them, but any of us has its place in this fanclub.

:huglove:

You are right that the perspective of newer fans is different than the perspective of a lot of older fans. And that is okay. It doesn't matter when you discovered him, it matters that you did. However, as this is a discussion forum, we should all be allowed to discuss things without being told to go away for having an opinion. As you may have noticed, we don't go away that easily:naughty:. But it doesn't mean that any of us love him more or less just because of how we feel about this.:thumb_yello:

The stories about good gone old days casted a spell over me and I crave to see him performing for real like he used to do.

On saturday he said that whenever he sees pics or vids about himself performing on stage, he can't believe to have done such things.

Well, how cannot I feel a gigs longing if Mika himself admits that he's a way beyond his normal self when he performs?

So, even if I can imagine his reasons and I'm honest enough to admit that money is almost never filthy as far as I'm concerned, I still think that he's wasting his talent doing one more show. One was fine and I even agreed. Two was still quite ok. But three .... three make a whole year wasted, maybe more.

I got 100% really upset when he tweeted that ad to look for XF new contestants. It was so so so fake, so commercial style, that I felt like a border was crossed. I have no right to feel like that, I know, but I consider his twitter account as personal, meaning that Twitter was the place where he could almost be his real self with fans and not some fake celeb. OMG I felt a kind of betrayed, which is insane, I know. As I spent so much time and energies on a acquaintance in order to get closer (pls don't start the whole "he's not a friend" of yours speech cause I'm fully aware he's not, I'm just talking metaphors. I'm no fool.) just to find out that he wanted to sell a pots set to me. :annoyed_h4h:

I do.

I have plenty of time and, since I'm new, plenty of energies. I want to wait and see if those good old days are gone for real. Some wait can't kill me, at least I'm practising my wait skills, I suppose I'll need plenty.

Let's see if the inconsistency between the past and the present will annoy me enough to make me give up. Sometimes I feel like to, sometimes I don't.

In the meanwhile I'll be inconsistent myself and keep trying to attend some tv shows and meet him, cause it's fun to travel and meet people and do some new experiences and blah blah blah.

I'll be positive, I'll be negative. But at least I'll call a spade a spade (and my english teacher today is ... Guylaine. Congrats).

We incosistent people have to stick together. They eventually still love us. Mostly. Just drop the damned pot set. :aah:

:hug:

Very wise words.

I'm so with you. I like Mika a lot to watch at XF, much more as the imagination that he could give up and would be only in privat person. It's silly to imply I would prefer him as a celebrate. What I'm doing, I accept his choices, look for the benefits for me - which I have if I can watch him at XF - and wait patiently for his new album and for his next tour. I'm sure both will come, not as fast as I wish but it will come. :thumb_yello:

I foundet the time before his second album so much harder, in this time there where much less Mika around like now. :wink2:

I do.

We incosistent people have to stick together. They eventually still love us. Mostly. Just drop the damned pots set. :aah:

Hello, I'm an inconsistent person and I thank you for expressing so well my point of view about the whole matter :naughty: Btw, even though I try not to be negative and whining all the time -it'd be pointless- a few days ago I couldn't keep myself from expressing the same feelings about that tweet and also about the whole question in another post. Anyway, patience is my motto, for now :thumb_yello:

just my two cents...

I don't like talent shows and I don't watch them, I have no Sky subscription and I'm not going to have one. Moreover I cannot stand those dreadful telephone ADs.

Given these premises, I think that Mika last year tried to do something new to boost his carreer and that his new projects turned out quite well in terms of fame (at least in Italy and France) and money and maybe he discovered, during the process, that he can also have fun and learn something new. While I basically agree that his choices are inconsistent with the principles he formerly stated (and I repeat that I'd rather see him performing his own songs on a stage) and I'm afraid that TV overexposure can spoil his reputation as an artist, I must admit that at least in the short term he's proving he can still be successfull.

I don't believe in "right" or "wrong" choices as total categories, I prefer to think in terms of what's best for a single person in a defined time frame: he's been brave and he's been credited for his efforts, maybe other artists would have acted in a different way but I don't think he's suddenly become shallow and he's doing TV shows because he loves wearing Valentino in his everyday life.

I want to apologize if I was a bit rambly last night here. Dealing with some personal stuff over here at the mo and my brain hasn't been fully turned on for about half a day now. Just throwin' that out there, in case anyone is wondering... :group_hug:

I'm sorry, but I had to open this thread ...

If the Mika choice of strategies could move here , I'd be a very very happy person :blush-anim-cl:

Thank you very much to all :group_hug:

Sorry I wasn't very clear about this...what I mean if it would be great if the discussion about Mika's carreer choices were discussed here instead of in the French press scans translations audios and videos where they don't belong ....in my humble opinion :wink2:

Thank you very much for this thread, now I know which thread I need to avoid because I don´t want to read all that stuff :thumb_yello:

It's silly to imply I would prefer him as a celebrate. What I'm doing, I accept his choices, look for the benefits for me - which I have if I can watch him at XF - and wait patiently for his new album and for his next tour. I'm sure both will come, not as fast as I wish but it will come. :thumb_yello:

I know what you mean, I'm trying to do the same!

I don't believe in "right" or "wrong" choices as total categories, I prefer to think in terms of what's best for a single person in a defined time frame: he's been brave and he's been credited for his efforts, maybe other artists would have acted in a different way but I don't think he's suddenly become shallow and he's doing TV shows because he loves wearing Valentino in his everyday life.

This is nicely put, thank you! Totally agree with you. About the Valentino suits, I see them as a cool show element/detail, not as a sign of his new personality. He might use them at public events and on television but otherwise seems to prefer his usual outfits.

I'm so with you. I like Mika a lot to watch at XF, much more as the imagination that he could give up and would be only in privat person. It's silly to imply I would prefer him as a celebrate. What I'm doing, I accept his choices, look for the benefits for me - which I have if I can watch him at XF - and wait patiently for his new album and for his next tour. I'm sure both will come, not as fast as I wish but it will come. :thumb_yello:

I foundet the time before his second album so much harder, in this time there where much less Mika around like now. :wink2:

The fact is that he could write the best album of all time, but with no promotion it wouldn't sell. So he has to promote himself, which is what he's trying to do with these projects. He's also still meeting different contacts, planning stuff, and it's much better than when he was hiding himself away and people were ecstatic over any little tweet he posted.

I can't multi Quote with this tablet, but RAKI, what you said about X Factor being about Simon Cowell, is right. At least, in UK it is, but not in Italy anymore. In Italy it's all about Mika now. He's had so much influence. He's been the best judge of all, and I've seen the UK, and US versions. No one has had the same impact. Judges like Cheryl Cole weren't popular because of their integrity, wisdom, or knowledge, but Mika has become popular because of this. I'm just sad he's not been a judge in UK.

I know what you mean, I'm trying to do the same!

This is nicely put, thank you! Totally agree with you. About the Valentino suits, I see them as a cool show element/detail, not as a sign of his new personality. He might use them at public events and on television but otherwise seems to prefer his usual outfits.

I have no problem with him wearing Valentino suits but so far they just haven't been my taste. The butterfly one gave me a headache and no that is not just because he wore it :naughty:.

When I did an art course one of my teachers taught the dance academy and said he was against students doing shows like So You Think You Can Dance. They will miss important classes and when they get kicked out, they will get kicked off the academy as well for missing classes. Those who do get far can charge 200 euros an hour for choreography, then when the next series start most will be forgotten and end up with nothing. Same with Xfactor and the Voice regardless of the country. 99% will be forgotten. Nice entertainment but no artistic value in my opinion.

I looked through this thread and that is what came to my mind. I see nothing new to me here. We can repeat the same words again and again. We can discuss talent shows again and again. We can make jokes or fight (using words of course) for ages. We will never find the way out. No one will change one's mind. Well at least not in the argue with other fans. I know one thing. It will stop as soon as Mika's album is released and tour begins. I hope this day will come SOON! And I'm sure we all agree in at least one thing - we WANT a gig :aah: NOW :naughty:

Thank you very much for opening the thread Anne, I think it's a good idea to have that general discussion at one place and not scattered around in other threads and I hope that solves some tensions now. Anybody should be able to express his thoughts about Mika's decisions, "positive" or "negative", here as it's what this thread is about and everybody who don't want to read the discussion can just skip the thread.

For the topic itself I don't have anything new to say at the moment :wink2:, but still like reading the different views :thumb_yello: