Good Guys - song and lyrics discussion

mellody

[media]

[/media]

updated lyrics after the Montreal gigs (thanks statue, dermoment and everyone else who contributed to it!):

It's not the cowboys that are missing anymore.
That problem was already old in '94.
Don't be offended this might seem a little wrong
Where have all the gay guys gone?

To the romance when I was 14 years old,
To my heroes that were dressed up in gold.
Only hoping one day I could be so bold.
Where have all the gay guys gone?

Chorus:
|: If we are all in the gutter
It doesn't change who we are
'Cause some of us in the gutter
Are looking up at the stars. :|
Tell me |: Where have all the good guys
Where have all the good guys
Where have all the good guys gone? :|

Thank you Rufus, thank you Auden and James Dean,
Thank you Emerson and Bowie for my dreams.
Wilfred Owen, Kinsey, Whitman and Rimbaud.
Thank you Warhol, thank you patience, thank you Porter and Cocteau.

Chorus

Chorus

It's not the cowboys that are missing anymore,
That problem was already old in '94.
Don't be offended, this might seem a little wrong
Where have all the good guys gone? Edited by dcdeb
  • Like 1

And the live version :wub2:

Thank you for posting, Eriko and for sharing here Der Moment :huglove:

Thank you Eriko :huglove:

I'm in love all over again :wub2:

Silver wrote in the other thread that part of the chorus is a quote by Oscar Wilde.

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4053596&postcount=16

Edited by crazyaboutmika

It happened with Underwater, it's happening now, once again! From the first notes I fell in love! I said it before and I'll say it now, I was afraid the new album could be too much electronic, similar to some of the last album tacks (Overrated, Make you happy). I've been hoping the new songs were Underwater-like for months and now, after listening to a bit of Staring at the sun and to this amazing song, I can firmly say that if the album has this kind of sound, I won't listen to anything else from the day it comes out and for months on...

And the live version :wub2:

Thank you for posting, Eriko :huglove:

Oh my goodness Eriko THANK YOU!!! this gave me goosebumps! I've never seen Mika live in concert before and the made me feel like I was almost there!

What wonderful lyrics!!! he's genius...lyrical muse! I can't wait for the whole album and now I'm even that much more excited about Montreal!!! I didn't think it would be possible to get any MORE excited...I was wrong :) I need padding on my walls for all the excitement jitters inside!

Ok enough of this typing I need to go buy this song! I think it's on itunes now right? anyone? anyone?

Again, Eriko you're a lovely person for all your efforts in posting stuff like this :) thank you!

Oh p.s. does anyone know who won the xf italy? did they announce it? sorry I've been in law class and away from my computer practically all day and will be tomorrow too so although I secretly checked my phone a few times on twitter I didn't see anything...may have missed it.

It happened with Underwater, it's happening now, once again! From the first notes I fell in love! I said it before and I'll say it now, I was afraid the new album could be too much electronic, similar to some of the last album tacks (Overrated, Make you happy). I've been hoping the new songs were Underwater-like for months and now, after listening to a bit of Staring at the sun and to this amazing song, I can firmly say that if the album has this kind of sound, I won't listen to anything else from the day it comes out and for months on...

I love the song so far!! I really feel the old vibes I used to feel with Mika!!

Oh my goodness Eriko THANK YOU!!! this gave me goosebumps! I've never seen Mika live in concert before and the made me feel like I was almost there!

What wonderful lyrics!!! he's genius...lyrical muse! I can't wait for the whole album and now I'm even that much more excited about Montreal!!! I didn't think it would be possible to get any MORE excited...I was wrong :) I need padding on my walls for all the excitement jitters inside!

Ok enough of this typing I need to go buy this song! I think it's on itunes now right? anyone? anyone?

Again, Eriko you're a lovely person for all your efforts in posting stuff like this :) thank you!

Oh p.s. does anyone know who won the xf italy? did they announce it? sorry I've been in law class and away from my computer practically all day and will be tomorrow too so although I secretly checked my phone a few times on twitter I didn't see anything...may have missed it.

I feel the same I'm in love with Mika's Good Guys :wub2::wub2::wub2:

Lorenzo Fragola won XFactor.

Not on itunes yet and Lorenzo won

Silver wrote in the other thread that part of the chorus is a quote by Oscar Wilde.

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4053596&postcount=16

Yes, the quote is from a play by Oscar Wilde:

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/26036.html

The Pretenders also used this quote in a song, Message of Love, back in 1981 (yes, I'm that old) (second verse)

[YOUTUBE]STy8FWhQPwU[/YOUTUBE]

Mika said in an interview that his new album would be more acoustic, melodic, and all the songs on piano and no electronic, so for me this is a warranty that it would be a really good album. I love what I've heard until now, I love it so much, the bit of SATS it's simply beautiful and Good Guys wonderful. I love those kind of soft songs and sound but Im sure the album will contain more lively songs. What I'm totally sure is I will love all his album with any doubt. Mika forever!! :wub2:

This part:

It's not the Cowboys that are missing anymore

That problem was already old in '94

Where have all the good guys gone

His voice can be so gentle. So gentle... Very much loving these little parts we have heard, can't wait to hear whole songs :wub2::wub2::wub2:

This part:

It's not the Cowboys that are missing anymore

That problem was already old in '94

Where have all the good guys gone

His voice can be so gentle. So gentle... Very much loving these little parts we have heard, can't wait to hear whole songs :wub2::wub2::wub2:

I agree, I know he's known for his use of the falsetto, but I just love his lower chest voice, especially when he makes it sound so soft. Love this bit of the song. :wub2:

But I keep on thinking about his pronounciation, how he's become so American.. When you compare the "gutter" from Stuck In The Middle to this one.. Or am I being too melancholic :naughty:

Mika said in an interview that his new album would be more acoustic, melodic, and all the songs on piano and no electronic, so for me this is a warranty that it would be a really good album. I love what I've heard until now, I love it so much, the bit of SATS it's simply beautiful and Good Guys wonderful. I love those kind of soft songs and sound but Im sure the album will contain more lively songs. What I'm totally sure is I will love all his album with any doubt. Mika forever!! :wub2:

:thumb_yello: I so agree with everything you say - and I'm sooo proud of our MIKA - the man with the golden heart !! :wub2:

Love,love

me

I posted this in the wrong tread so I'm reposting my 1994 lyric theory here :)

1994 is when Harry Nilsson died! His songs were in Midnight Cowboy! Mike liked Harry a lot!

I get it I love it when his lyrics take on real meaning for me...I'm may not be right with this theory but that's what I'm sticking to until someone comes up with something better or Mika explains it differently.

I posted this in the wrong tread so I'm reposting my 1994 lyric theory here :)

1994 is when Harry Nilsson died! His songs were in Midnight Cowboy! Mike liked Harry a lot!

I get it I love it when his lyrics take on real meaning for me...I'm may not be right with this theory but that's what I'm sticking to until someone comes up with something better or Mika explains it differently.

:thumb_yello: