Good Guys - song and lyrics discussion

mellody

I love all those references to poets, authors and artists... I think that I'll pass my free time searching them and reading something

I can guess how it will be after the mixing, the melody can't be so different from what we heard at X Factor and in Montreal. Anyway, can't wait for the single!

Thank you for the lyrics! :flowers2:

Obviously, Mika's listing notable bi/gay men -- poets and other artists -- who had some influence on him growing up.

So I believe it's Auden, as in the poet W. H. Auden. And Emerson must be Ralph Waldo Emerson. And Porter, Cole Porter. Whitman, Walt Whitman. And thank you to whoever figured out it was Rimbaud, because I kept hearing RAMBO, too! :doh:

But that last line sounds like, "Thank you all, thank you patience, Porter and Cocteau."

Which could make sense, in that he had to be patient to become the person he became. I can't think of what name that could be. I'll just have to keep listening. :naughty:

Was it Auden?

I thought he sang Wilfred Owen, who was a WW1 poet.

Maybe |I'm hearing things.

I was wondering: Am I the only one who loves the piano/guitar version better than the orchestral one? :teehee:

You're not :thumb_yello:

The more Mika voice the better :wub2:

I do love the full song and I hope he keeps "gay" as it truly makes me happy but I hope for a studio version with minimal instruments :wink2:

I was wondering: Am I the only one who loves the piano/guitar version better than the orchestral one? :teehee:

i agree about the verses, i didn't really like the rhythm they added with the orchestra. i do love those "big sounds" of the orchestra for the chorus tho.

You're not :thumb_yello:

The more Mika voice the better :wub2:

I do love the full song and I hope he keeps "gay" as it truly makes me happy but I hope for a studio version with minimal instruments :wink2:

I love both versions, but since the lyrics are important in this song, the less instruments, the better. I actually hope the gay community pick up on it. It's time they realised what a gem they have in their midst.

One time I was watching TV and a gay guy was saying "I wish there was a gay celebrity out there who was just normal guy who just happened to be gay. That's just what we need."

I, of course, shouted at the telly. "There is one... MMMMIIIIIIIKKKKKAAAAA!"

Mika is an ordinary guy who just happens to be gay. He doesn't flaunt it, he just IS.

The gay people need to wake up and make him their new icon.

The same goes for straight people too.

Thank you for the lyrics and especially the list of names! :thumb_yello:

Ok, so I have to make some research about all these famous artists :mf_rosetinted: except Cocteau :wub2:, Bowie, Rimbaud (or even Rambo :wink2:). Lots of homework, thank you Mika :naughty:

Hearing him singing the new lyrics with his little "I'm so proud of my good joke" smile was priceless :naughty:

I love both versions, but since the lyrics are important in this song, the less instruments, the better. I actually hope the gay community pick up on it. It's time they realised what a gem they have in their midst.

One time I was watching TV and a gay guy was saying "I wish there was a gay celebrity out there who was just normal guy who just happened to be gay. That's just what we need."

I, of course, shouted at the telly. "There is one... MMMMIIIIIIIKKKKKAAAAA!"

Mika is an ordinary guy who just happens to be gay. He doesn't flaunt it, he just IS.

The gay people need to wake up and make him their new icon.

The same goes for straight people too.

Marilyn, I am in accord with you on this.

A lot of what turns people off to the gay community are the very flamboyant folks, because that is all they know. As a longtime ally, I have seen this time and time again. They never seem to see the quieter folks who are gay - the two guys who share an apartment down the street, for example, or the women who just spend a lot of time together. I've seen people I used to call friends objectify drag queens, treat them like they were not people but sources of entertainment, novelties. Sorry, they're just people, people like the rest of us. They need love and to be accepted in this world, whether they're in tweed suits with suede elbow patches or rhinestoned gowns.

And I even hate saying "they" because "they" aren't a separate species, but part of "us" - the whole human race.

And I even hate saying "they" because "they" aren't a separate species, but part of "us" - the whole human race.

That sums up the whole concept perfectly

Hearing him singing the new lyrics with his little "I'm so proud of my good joke" smile was priceless :naughty:

It was priceless and made me immediately love this song :wub2: There's more sadness/nostalgia than I expected. All his new songs are kind of sad with a different vibe.

Thanks for the lyrics, it was difficult for me to catch all the names! I love the idea of referring to so many icons.

Marilyn, I am in accord with you on this.

A lot of what turns people off to the gay community are the very flamboyant folks, because that is all they know. As a longtime ally, I have seen this time and time again. They never seem to see the quieter folks who are gay - the two guys who share an apartment down the street, for example, or the women who just spend a lot of time together. I've seen people I used to call friends objectify drag queens, treat them like they were not people but sources of entertainment, novelties. Sorry, they're just people, people like the rest of us. They need love and to be accepted in this world, whether they're in tweed suits with suede elbow patches or rhinestoned gowns.

I agree with you. My husband and I have even dropped out of organised churches, because of their homophobic stance against gay people. We don't think it's right!

I think of gay people as just ordinary folks who just have an attraction to their own gender.

The good thing about Mika is that he does come across as just an ordinary guy, making his living in music, who just happens to be with a guy. So as I said before, he's an inspiration to everyone, whether they are gay or straight. Everyone is equal. At the concerts we're all together, singing along and cheering him on.

He's just what we all need.

It's a pity more people outside of France Quebec and Italy don't realise that yet.

• 1 month later...
In Italy we'll have Good Guys as a single end of April

That doesn't surprise me too much -- I mean, since there was the medley with Happy Ending a few months ago, that sort of makes sense. But where did you hear this, Mari?

That doesn't surprise me too much -- I mean, since there was the medley with Happy Ending a few months ago, that sort of makes sense. But where did you hear this, Mari?
Yes, it makes sense.

It was announced on fb (I think geotagged ?) by Universal Music Italia

https://www.facebook.com/universalmusicitalia/posts/10152805386078175

and confirmed on twitter by Mika Italia and Barley Arts:

http://www.barleyarts.com/mika-finalmente-live-in-italia-concerto-speciale-a-milano/

• 4 weeks later...
I've just heard Good Guys on youtube (mikavevo) and I really love it :wub2:

Me too. It is a very beautiful song !Even if I prefer OSM's version. There is a little thing which disturbs me, when he "use" his high voice in one word (in the sentence "Where have all the good guys gone" just before the tune).

I love the chorus and the instrumental :wub2:

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

:overreact:

Okay, I've downloaded the audio (no worries, I'll buy the album when it's released) and I'm listening to it right now!

To be honest, I don't know what I think about it yet.. It's a bit different from the performance at X Factor and I loved that so much.

Okay, I've downloaded the audio (no worries, I'll buy the album when it's released) and I'm listening to it right now!

To be honest, I don't know what I think about it yet.. It's a bit different from the performance at X Factor and I loved that so much.

Is there a link?

PLEASE DO NOT SHARE COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL, AS PER POINT 5 OF OUR GUIDELINES:

5. Illegal activity is not permitted.

Sharing copyrighted material - Any Mika-related material that can be purchased through regular channels cannot be posted. This includes all studio recordings, clips from the Live in Cartoon Motion or Parc des Princes DVD, iTunes files, etc.

Please have a look at our guidelines:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25843

I'll delete the link :thumb_yello:

Thanks for understanding.

Edited by mari62

PLEASE DO NOT POST LINKS TO COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL, AS PER POINT 5 OF OUR GUIDELINES:

5. Illegal activity is not permitted.

Sharing copyrighted material - Any Mika-related material that can be purchased through regular channels cannot be posted. This includes all studio recordings, clips from the Live in Cartoon Motion or Parc des Princes DVD, iTunes files, etc.

Please have a look at our guidelines:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25843

I'll delete the link :thumb_yello:

Thanks for understanding.

Team Mika need to make the audio available to everyone if it's going on the Vevo site, I did ask on FB page, but I doubt I'll get a response.

Team Mika need to make the audio available to everyone if it's going on the Vevo site, I did ask on FB page, but I doubt I'll get a response.
yes, I hope they'll make it officially available worldwide soon.

the VEVO link works only in France so far

Edited by mari62