mari62

It was beyond words...

So much better than all what I was hoping for :wub2:

Exhausted now, I'll try to write more tomorrow

Happy for you :wink2:

Pas trop froid au Canada ?

Thanks Deb for your long emotional report :wink2:

Well, as usual Kira's review puts mine to shame, but here it is:

As a writer, I don’t usually have a problem using 100 words when just 10 would do, but as I sit here trying to compose my thoughts and report on Mika’s performance tonight with the OSM, words are failing me.

:naughty::naughty: it must have been a really exceptional gig then :wub2:

Yes, it was that good.

So I asked some of the women who attended the show with me to help me out.

Guylaine: “It was just perfect.”

Nathalie: “It was amazing.”

Mamiam: “We couldn’t ask for more, it was perfect. It was just amazing, all of it.”

So as you can see, it was perfect. It was amazing. It was amazingly perfect. Or perfectly amazing.

Amazing and Perfect sums it up really fine :thumb_yello:

But maybe you need a little more detail.

From the moment the first strains of the whimsical Toy Boy began, it was clear to me that we were in for a special evening. The acoustics in the venue were impeccable and Mika, backed not only by the 100-plus musicians on the stage, was accompanied on vocals by a small choir as well as Ida Falk Winland, Max Taylor, and, on a few songs, Skyler Stonestreet. With so much musical power on stage, how could anything go wrong?

Obviously, at least from the audience perspective, nothing did. It all went extraordinarily RIGHT.

I knew going in that many of Mika’s songs would lend themselves to being fully scored for a symphony orchestra. I knew that the lush strings would lend a particular richness to familiar tunes like Toy Boy, and ballads like Underwater and Any Other World. And they did. But what I didn’t expect was how a live full orchestra would completely transform these songs that I know so well. Maybe I just got caught up in the moment of a live performance, but I could feel the throbbing of the timpani, which was used so effectively to build the drama in Underwater, resonating in my chest. The brass used in the song Heroes evoked an almost triumphant feeling and brought the song, and the first half of the performance, to a rousing conclusion.

We clearly need to ear these songs, I hope there will be some records somewhere :wink2:

But of course it wasn’t just the orchestration that made this evening’s performance so special – it was Mika himself. His voice sounded beautiful, as sweet and fluid and powerful as when I heard him perform off-microphone in a synagogue in Washington DC two years ago. And speaking of powerful – can we talk about his stage presence? He is such a commanding figure, so tall and slim, with such a brilliant smile that I’m quite sure it could have raised the frigid outside temperature by 10 or 15 degrees. As he made his way through the evening’s repertoire, he made very few remarks, preferring to convey his message through the emotions of the songs he performed. I think it’s apparent that Mika knows how to bring an audience on a journey with him, and this evening’s audience was more than willing to follow wherever he led.

One of the most magical moments of the evening came midway through the second half -- the undeniably stirring Happy Ending, which brought the audience spontaneously to its feet. Sheer emotion filled the room as Mika’s vocals soared – I mean, you could just FEEL it. I think the man sitting next to me said it all when he whispered as the song ended: “Wow.”

Aaaahhh Happy Ending, still :wub2::wub2::wub2:

There were so many of those “wow” moments, including the introduction of several new songs from Mika’s upcoming fourth album: the bittersweet The Last Party, the rather painful An Ordinary Man and the slightly ironic Good Guys, which Mika cheekily sang as, “where have all the good gays gone?” with a tip of the hat to Rufus Wainwright. These three little tastes of Mika’s new album left me desperately hungry for the rest, as soon as possible.

The setlist for the show, which ran about two hours 15 minutes, included 20 songs:

Toy Boy

Underwater

Boum Boum Boum

Rain

The Last Party

Karen

Overrated

Any Other World

An Ordinary Man

I Only Love You When I’m Drunk

Heroes

(intermission)

Grace Kelly

Over My Shoulder

Good Guys

Make You Happy

Happy Ending

Origin of Love

Relax

Elle Me Dit

Love Today

Now, I’ll have to sign off, since I have to get some sleep and then get ready to do it all over again tomorrow night, er, I guess that would be tonight now!

And I just put a few photos on my FB, not very good, but here's one:

10676281_10155175607250321_7891760377249103995_n.jpg?oh=f436dfe99d23f8e9d7abf9c9d71313cf&oe=5593182D&__gda__=1435627384_ce917bec3e445ba5bfff75e84afce138

I thought cameras were not allowed ??? You cheated ! But thanks !

This makes me all nostalgic! It has been a while since we've had so many reports and it truly sounds magical. It only makes me more excited for what is coming:wub2:.

Enjoy the upcoming gigs!

Nostalgic, as well...

No strings in the next European gigs I guess :naughty:

Thanks so much for the great reports! Even just reading those I get a lump in my throat. If I could've gone, I'd probably have been crying all night.. :mf_rosetinted:

I cannot cannot wait for the new album with the new songs, since you all describe them as 'amazing'!

To those going tonight and tomorrow: have fun! Enjoy! :blush-anim-cl:

Thank you all for your wonderful reports !

Was there any official filming ? Are we to expect a DVD ? Perhaps not on the first night...I wonder...

I asked on FB, and it's not going to happen, sadly.

i didn't see you! :blink:

Ah... Hiding worked then. :wink2:

:naughty: see you tonight. :thumb_yello:

But surely someone captured just a little of it, a flavour, so I can pretend I was there :blink:bye [MSO/Mika management - this means you]

I asked on FB, and it's not going to happen, sadly.

It's an absolute crying shame to be honest. It is such am incredible spectacle. So unique ( in terms of Mika gigs/performances) it's such a shame that it can't be shared. :aah:

OMG!!!!! :') one of the best day of my life!!! I cant find a word which describe that show. I sang, I laugh, I cried, I screamed... Now i have no voice XD I had the chance to meet some mfcers like sunshine, cathblais, cathou, rachieb (sorry i know i write those names with a lot of mistakes xD) ... The orchestra was magic and mika was... MIKA x) cant be better. At the beginning he was shy but at the and he had more energy (but he cant really dance haha) ... I was in the bench 11-cc in the middle ( a bit to the left) so in front of him... But he never looked at me :( (and my teacher who was beside me said that he looked at her -.- im jealous) well at least he was near (like about 3 meters away from me ) ... He sang for the first time songs from he fourth album like ordinaey boy, last party and good guys (completly) ... It was amazing!!!!!! :') at the end he received a bouquet of flowers and he pitched one of them in the crowd... Im so jealous of the girl who catched it :P

And omg I didn't know about the card and the flowers gift for MIKA :( im not in the card D'x

I didn't had the chance to wait after the show cause the one with who i was wanted to go before it was impossible to quit the parking xD but if I was alone I would wait til midnight x)

Well I bought a poster (limited edition), a glass and a t shirt :)

Maybe I forget something but ill write tomorrow :)

Mika? Can't dance??? :blink:

:lmao:

That was a well kept secret! :fisch:

Ah... Hiding worked then. :wink2:

:naughty: see you tonight. :thumb_yello:

It's an absolute crying shame to be honest. It is such am incredible spectacle. So unique ( in terms of Mika gigs/performances) it's such a shame that it can't be shared. :aah:

It is....

Thank you all for your reports. It's so good that you were all blown away by Mika's performance.

Despite not being filmed, what I hope for is that, since the concert involved the orchestra, there would have been people there who wouldn't normally go to a pop star's concert. Some have mentioned that the vibe was different, not so much riotous applause. I'm glad to hear that actually, because it means there were classical fans of the orchestra in the audiance. I hope Mika's has found some new fans, from the classical genre. This, I hope, will help to promote him as a serious musician and who knows where it may lead him.

Thank you for your great reports. I am so impatient to hear some snippets especially of the new and also of the old songs: just few seconds please! :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

What did dcdeb mean by "the rather painful An Ordinary Man". Didn't you like it?

Thanks so much for the reports everyone. I checked Twitter quickly last night before bed and just saw a lot of "sans mots" which is not what I wanted to hear. :naughty:

It's so nice to read some well articulated thoughts on Mika's performance because I don't even remember the last time I heard anything but ohmygodhessoperfect!!!!!1 which is meaningless to me. I can get a full sense of what it must have been like, especially from Kira and Deb.

Not at all surprised that Happy Ending was the highlight. That song was made for a fiull orchestra. It doesn't matter how spectacular a gig is, somehow Mika always dials it up another notch for HE. Must have been extraordinary.

Wish these concerts had happened a couple of years ago when my heart was still in it but I am glad it was somspecial and worthwhile for everyone who was there.

Have another great show tonight everyone.

After falling asleep, surely with a smile on my face, I woke up at 4 o'clock this morning, and all of a sudden I was again in the wonderful concert hall with MIKA and OSM. So here's my little report of this epic night: I was early in the Place des Arts area, very excited to finally see and greet some MFCers coming. People were left indoors the hall at 19, but most of us waited till about 19.30. My seat was great, right in the middle of row 5, with nice ladies on both sides, Buttonlovesmika on my left, and Superstar on the right. Sharon had Treasa and Kath as followers, while Kira brought her sister with her, to use the tickets she won. We had some time to chat and look around, before the show started. It was close to 5 years since my last gig with MIKA in Oslo, but when he entered the stage it felt like yesterday! Beautifully dressed in a blue suit, and with his curls at the right place, he was welcomed warmly, so humble - and almost shy - like this was a dream come true for him as well...

I was so pleased that he opened with Toy Boy, my fav. You have aleeady read the setlist, and very good technical description of the OSM, by Kira and Deb, so I won't wven try to touch this subject. I can only add that I got what I was hoping for, and a lot more! To hear both Karen, Heroes, Any other world, Happy ending, and Origin of love with this "wall of sound" was just forgettable! I was 14 y.o when Phil Spector blew me away with the arrangement for TINAs "River deep, mountain high". And ever since LICM in -07, it has been a dream to hear MIKAs music presented with thus massive sound. Yesterday it became a reality, and even better, there are 2 more shows ahead!

In the break of the show I bought the poster and the mug, nice memories to take back home on Sat. The response of the audience was huge - it seemed like nobody wanted to let MIKA go - he must feel so happy and proud today, and also thankul for great song support by Ida and Max. Tonight I'll be alone, in the middle of the first gallery part, U7, with no MFCers by my side. I'll fully consentrate on the music, and experience the great accustic in this wonderful arena. But before that we'll party, and celebrate our unique and GOLDEN MIKA - at the meet & greet party for MFC, being 8 years. I look forward to say Hi to more members, and share some hours, together with good food. There's only one sad thing: No recording, no filming - no DVD planned !?! These concerts really should have been shared - it's a loss to the world!! Anyway, we - the lucky ones- can save this treasure in our hearts, for ever...

Love,love

me

Soon ill post pictures of yesterday.... And ummm :fisch: I know It was forbidden to record but it was too cruel ... Im such a bad girl :( ... I record the last 45 min of the show but it is just the sound because I kept my camera in my pocket... But I started to film at the last song) maybe I could post the record here... i know im not supposed to but it is so sad for everyone around the world who cant hear it :/

Iwill note write much cause I have to do ut with my phone and that lasts too long and too much mistakes. It was amazing and I will never forget and Im happy to mret you,and today agagain,. And happy to see all shows:wub2:

Soon ill post pictures of yesterday.... And ummm :fisch: I know It was forbidden to record but it was too cruel ... Im such a bad girl :( ... I record the last 45 min of the show but it is just the sound because I kept my camera in my pocket... But I started to film at the last song) maybe I could post the record here... i know im not supposed to but it is so sad for everyone around the world who cant hear it :/

YES, PLEASE! :pray: Perhaps in the Member's only section...

Is it bad that i think you're a heroe for recording a bit haha :naughty: thanks!

Aaaaaaw, you've done well! Can't wait to hear your recording! :huglove: