Last Party - Song and Lyrics Discussion

Log lady

Me, Melyssa and DerMoment are really digging this new song and thought it would be nice to get the lyrics.

There's a party going on in here

It's been happening for many years

You weren't invited and don't want to stay

But keep partying anyway

DJ's playing the familiar tune

Got them dancing, shaking up the room

They hear the beat but they don't know the words

This is the saddest song I've ever heard

If you could look into the future, would ya?

if you could see it, would you even want to?

Got a feeling that there's bad news coming

But I don't want to find it out

If it's the end of the world let's party

Like it's the end of the world let's party

Wrap your arms around everybody

If we're all gonna die let's party

Let's party

Let's party

Who can I blame with everything I've done

Is this the price we pay for too much fun

Don't be misled it's not a twist of fate

It's just what happens when you stay out late

So raise your glasses all my kings and queens

Smash the chandelier to smithereens

Who knew that mercury could rise so fast

Enjoy the party 'cause this is our last

If you could look into the future, would ya?

if you could see it, would you even want to?

Got a feeling that there's bad news coming

But I don't want to find it out

Let's party

Let's party

Let's party

Let's party

There's a party going on in here

It's been happening for many years

And even if it all goes bad

It was the best time we ever had

This is a wonderfull song! :blush-anim-cl::thumb_yello:

I just read that Last Party is co-written by a Finnish songwriter Teemu Brunila:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teemu_Brunila :thumb_yello:

I am in love with this song, perhaps something deeply melancholically finnish in it, that attracts me. :wub2:

Aaaah!!!!!! I knew Teemu Brunila was writing songs with Mika but had no idea he was a part of Last Party. So happy to hear this :wub2:

• 3 weeks later...

Nina uploaded the video !!

Thanks a million for sharing !! :huglove:

Mika - Last Party- Brooklyn Verboten

That video is great, but why is Mika all trussed up like a Christmas turkey? He needs to wear something loose and comfortable on the stage, not a suit and tie! Silly Mika! But I love the song so much.

• Like 3

Thanks a million Nina - and Eriko - for taking us to NY for a moment  - and for sharing this wonderful LP song,  so early in the morning ( for you )  :hug:

But I agree with Marilyn - this seems like an uncomfortable outfit for the setting - MIKA is obviously HOT, and this time in a negative way! :doh:   Why not just throw the jacket away, and open the tie a bit, at least ?!  :(

I hope he'll have better clothes for the next gig... :wub: 

Love,love

me  

• 1 month later...

I first came across this song on Facebook about a month ago or so and whilst I totally adored the song I was horrified at the thought of him possibly singing about himself as the song has such a decadent, end of the world / we'll all die of AIDS type of feeling... So I was pretty relieved when I watched another FB link with his explanation the song is about Freddie Mercury :doh:

Yes, it totally makes sense  Even the themes and the vocabulary remind me of some of Freddie's songs from that era (end of 80s) so I feel the song does capture his thoughts / attitude / state of mind that time. Overall, the whole song is a really a fitting tribute with the intelligent build up of the song in tempo and volume (key characteristics of Freddie's songwriting), yet keeping the sound itself very 'current'. 

This is definitely one of my favourites on the album

Edited by suzie
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

a little bit off topic....but when I was in my hotel in Montreal for Mika's show a commercial came on the television and for a moment I thought it was LAST PARTY being played. The beginning is very similar.....and it is very moving just like his song. What do you think :dunno:

https://youtu.be/aXBqbkT1Wrs

• 3 months later...

When I first heard this song I didn't really like it. I didn't realize what it was about and though it was one of those "top 40- let's party- ish- songs"  :doh: But after I got to know the lyrics noticed the "desperation" and hopelessness of it. It's kind of simple, but expresses the message really well :) I just like it more and more, especially live!  :wub:

are the lyrics "who knew that Mercury could rise so fast?" referencing Freddie Merciry directly? I know the song is partly about him but it's cool if he directly mentioned him :)

I heard that Mika wrote the song as a sort of tribute to Freddie Mercury.  So you could say he is referencing him in this song. :)

When I first heard this song I didn't really like it. I didn't realize what it was about and though it was one of those "top 40- let's party- ish- songs"  :doh: But after I got to know the lyrics noticed the "desperation" and hopelessness of it. It's kind of simple, but expresses the message really well :) I just like it more and more, especially live!  :wub:

When I saw the lyrics for the first time, I thought the same as you.  But it's a very beautiful, emotional song.  It's more like a classical piece than a pop song.  Mika is so versatile in his music.  Oh, and I absolutely ADORE the video, even if it makes me sad. :tears:

• 1 year later...

Last Party : performance at Stasera Casa Mika episide - 4,

VIDEO

AUDIO ( Listen / Download )

:thumb_yello: Thanks Eriko!  :hug: A wonderful performance of LP... :wub: 

Love, love

me 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Music video of Last party is mentioned as his notable work on obituary for Peter Lindbergh.

:rip_1:

Rolling Stone

Peter Lindbergh, Rolling Stone Cover Photographer, Dead at 74

Kory Grow
710 words
4 September 2019

Peter Lindbergh, the renowned fashion photographer who shot Mick Jagger and Keith Richards for the cover of Rolling Stone, died Tuesday. His Instagram announced the news but did not reveal cause of death. He was 74.

Lindbergh will be best remembered for his stark, powerful black-and-white portraits of model and celebrities. He was also staunchly opposed to photo retouching.

His 1995 Mick Jagger cover captured the Rolling Stones frontman with his hands clasped in front of his face, looking at the camera knowingly — perfect for the headline “Jagger Remembers.” Meanwhile, his 2010 Keith Richards shot (a rare Lindbergh image in color) caught the guitarist looking relaxed and casual, staring into the lens with effortless cool. His 1999 Nicolas Cage cover, also a rare color image, found the actor flexing his muscles, looking ponderously at the viewer.

His most iconic image, however, is the January 1990 cover of the U.K. edition of Vogue. For that issue, he assembled Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell, Linda Evangelista, Tatjana Patitz, and Christy Turlington all casually looking into the camera. It was the first time the five of them appeared together and it ushered in a new era for supermodels. The five of them would later all reunite for George Michael’s “Freedom ’90” video.

“I had no idea it was going to be so legendary,” Crawford later said, calling it her “big supermodel moment.” “Vogue’s editor Liz Tilberis had asked Peter Lindbergh to photograph the new woman of the Nineties; Peter’s reply was that he couldn’t do it with just one woman. The idea of beauty had broadened; it could not be summed up with either a blonde, blue-eyed girl or a sexy brunette, he told her. There was change in the air and Peter and Liz picked up on that. We weren’t photographed with a ton of hair and make-up; we were quite undone. Coming out of the Eighties, which was all big hair and boobs pushed up, it felt refreshing and new.”

Lindbergh was born Peter Brodbeck in what is now Leszno, Poland on November 23rd, 1944. His parents were German and the fled to Duisburg, Germany, because of invading Russian troops when he was two months old, according to The New York Times. He studied art at Berlin’s Academy of Fine Arts and subsequently lived in Düsseldorf and Paris. He stumbled on his love of photography by shooting his brother’s children and decided to make it his career, taking on the name Lindbergh when he learned there was another shutterbug named Peter Brodbeck. He went on to divide his time between Paris, New York, and Arles, France.

In addition to shooting celebrities, he helmed campaign for Dior, Giorgio Armani, and Prada, among others, and he directed several films and music videos. Notably, he shot Tina Turner’s “Missing You” and Mika’s “Last Party” clips. His 1991 documentary, Models: The Film, focused on the five supermodels he had brought together for the cover of British Vogue.

His most recent major shoot was again for British Vogue, for an issue guest edited by Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex. “The Duchess of Sussex had worked with Peter in the past and personally chose him to shoot the 15 women on the cover,” a statement from the Duchess and Duke said. “There is no other photographer she considered to bring this meaningful project to life.”

Honouring the life and work of photographer Peter Lindbergh. His work is revered globally for capturing the essence of a subject and promoting healthy ideals of beauty, eschewing photoshopping, and preferring natural beauty with minimal makeup. The Duchess of Sussex had worked with Peter in the past and personally chose him to shoot the 15 women on the cover for the September issue of British Vogue, which she guest edited. There is no other photographer she considered to bring this meaningful project to life. • “Forces for Change” was the one of the esteemed photographer’s final published projects. He will be deeply missed.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I'm late to the party (pun intended!) but this song is beautiful. Me being my sappy self, I cry every time I hear it.

• 2 years later...

Guess it looks like this article hasn't been posted yet.

BrianMay.com

Brit Pop singer Mika – Freddie Mercury influence in new album

Posted on Tuesday 26th May, 2015 in Queen News.

Mika will be releasing his 4th album “No Place in Heaven” (due June 16 via Casablanca/Republic)… Billboard asked about Freddie Mercury influence on the track ‘Last Party’.

BILLBOARD
26 May 2015 by Andrew Hampp, New York

Extract:

BILLBOARD: Tell me about how Freddie Mercury inspired the song “Last Party” from No Place in Heaven.

MIKA: It’s about, in a sense, Freddie Mercury when he found out he was HIV positive, and had this very strong reaction that kind of manifested into him closing himself up in a nightclub for a couple days and having this mad party. It’s probably a myth, I don’t know how true it is, but certainly it’s a story that’s quite well-known. It made me think about when you find out terrible news, how do you deal with it? I wanted to put that into a song as best I could, and tried to make it as intimate as possible and this thing that I crafted and the way I produced it, I tried to make it as out-of-context of contemporary pop music as I could make it.

And it’s weird because with pop music, you have a particular opportunity to describe the things that are really hard to describe a normal daily life or normal words. This strange combination of terrible news and that rush of adrenaline — I know because in my life I’ve had all these awful things happen but this strange rush of adrenaline at the same time and trying to convey that in a song is almost one of the most representative ways of that strange clash of emotions. And you find that in a lot of these songs — “All She Wants” and “Good Wife” also have this mix of sweet and joyful with the bitterness of life.

mika-peter-lindbergh-2015-billboard-650x430.thumb.jpg.a35f451bfdeb5c83e73f15bf79a7f39c.jpg

Mika sings a homage to Freddie Mercury on tour – ‘Last Party’

Posted on Tuesday 20th October, 2015 in Queen News.

On 18 Octobe 2015, Mika wrapped his latest tour at the Adelphi Theatre….

Dressed in a black suit embroidered with glittery fireworks, the singer expressed his happiness to be performing at the Adelphi Theatre and reminded the audience that he could see each and everyone of them. Playing the piano, dancing, singing and interacting with the public, Mika pleased everybody by performing his hits (Grace Kelly, Lollipop, Relax, Happy Ending) but also tracks from his most recent album: the catchy Talk About You, Good Guys and Last Party, an homage to Freddie Mercury and a very moving and beautiful song.

Unfortunately no footage of this song from the last show, but here it is from earlier in the tour… Touching.

• Thanks 1