Talk about you - Lyrics & Song Discussion

Mika Spain @foromikaspain

¡Número 8 en el Top 100 ‪#‎Pop‬ de @iTunesMusic ‪#‎España‬! ‪#‎TalkAboutYou‬ @mikasounds:

:wub2:

Great!!:naughty:

Here a not so nice french review. http://m.leplus.nouvelobs.com/contribution/1344940-mika-sort-un-nouveau-single-plagiat-regression-4-raisons-d-eviter-talk-about-you.html#http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=mika%20talk%20about%20you&source=web&cd=14&ved=0CCkQFjADOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fleplus.nouvelobs.com%2Fcontribution%2F1344940-mika-sort-un-nouveau-single-plagiat-regression-4-raisons-d-eviter-talk-about-you.html&ei=cJQUVcSRJo_aaLPzgegI&usg=AFQjCNEtdBe6-GqdFZX9-zgP67u64Wv2qA&sig2=Nemu0pmpKWYu_1KYCr2_7g&bvm=bv.89381419,d.d2s

I was sorry to read it, this comment is very harsh and a bit over the top. But i'm not so enthousiastic myself about the new single. Sure, there are many songs that are worse but i had hoped to hear something more interesting from Mika. I read in a blog that this song was compared to Grace Kelly and Relax but to me these songs seem much more powerful and energetic. He used melodies from others in these songs as well and i don't mind that at all. The result was original and great. I'm afraid though that Mozart and Cutting Crew were beter examples to follow.

Anyway, I hope this reviewer is wrong and that many people will like the song. After all quite a few here at MFC do and i read some good reviews on internet as well. All this makes me realize that it must be very scary to release a new single. So many opinions! I remember his face when Mika talked about this song in The Voice France. He looked very proud and happy as he listened to the recording. Hopefully he'll stay as happy with it.

These days it would be almost impossible to write a song that doesn't resemble some other song from recently, or way-back-when. This sort of thing happens to a lot of songwriters.

In 2007 I used to get so upset when I saw bad comments about Mika. I almost wanted to cry.

Now I don't give a rat's backside about it, because as long as people are hearing the song, loving it, and getting it into every pop-chart, I'm ecstatic.

A few trolls on blogs don't matter at all. I've seen terrible things written about top artists like One Direction, but look at 1D's success, and the amount of fans they have (most of them are now crying onto their cds about Zane, poor things) but my point is this.

If Mika comes back into focus, he's going to get haters again. It's par for the course, not just for him, others too. The bigger they are, the more the haters hate them. He could write the best song there is and would still have negative comments.

What matters is that this particular song is getting him back into pop charts and may encorage people to listen to his other music. Hopefully this will also happen in UK. That's all that matters, not some stupid trolls who need to get a life.

Meanwhile there's still no trace of the song on Russian iTunes/Google Play ets. But it's already all over Runet (Russian Internet): on the social media like VK.com, some musical web sites. You can download it everywhere (not only listen) and in a very good quality :fisch: I mean one can't buy it ligally but can easy get it illigally... And I have no idea how to find out is it going to be a single in Russia at all :doh:

It's not on the US iTunes or Amazaon yet, so you're not alone. From what I've seen on Mika's FB and a few other places, it looks like the single will be available worldwide on Tuesday, March 31. They even posted an ad for the single on Facebook to that effect, so I think we just have to be patient a few more days. :thumb_yello:

These days it would be almost impossible to write a song that doesn't resemble some other song from recently, or way-back-when. This sort of thing happens to a lot of songwriters.

In 2007 I used to get so upset when I saw bad comments about Mika. I almost wanted to cry.

Now I don't give a rat's backside about it, because as long as people are hearing the song, loving it, and getting it into every pop-chart, I'm ecstatic.

A few trolls on blogs don't matter at all. I've seen terrible things written about top artists like One Direction, but look at 1D's success, and the amount of fans they have (most of them are now crying onto their cds about Zane, poor things) but my point is this.

If Mika comes back into focus, he's going to get haters again. It's par for the course, not just for him, others too. The bigger they are, the more the haters hate them. He could write the best song there is and would still have negative comments.

What matters is that this particular song is getting him back into pop charts and may encorage people to listen to his other music. Hopefully this will also happen in UK. That's all that matters, not some stupid trolls who need to get a life.

He already has, one of Six Musics presenters was very uncomplimentary towards him on Twitter this morning and had some people agreeing with him.

He already has, one of Six Musics presenters was very uncomplimentary towards him on Twitter this morning and had some people agreeing with him.

It's getting his name out there again.All publicity is good. Let them go for it. Sensible people will just pity them, because they have nothing better to do with their lives, than slag off Mika.

Sensible people will just say...

"Hey, Mika's back! Let's have a listen.

Then later...

"When can I download the new Mika song?"

from Mika's fb page, both in English and Italian :blink:

My new track Talk About You was released in France and other countries this week! My co-writers and I wrote it in the height of the summer. The song captures summer crush and the rush it brings. It became immediately obvious that the melody was referencing Sarà Perché Ti Amo and Only Want To Be With You. Instead of changing it or hiding it, and potentially ruining the vibe of the song, I decided to interpolate those melodies into the song and share the writing credit with them, with the original writers’ full permission. That is far better. Some music comes from no where, some is inspired by other songs and others totally reference them. In that case its always good to be crystal clear before a record even comes out. I am extremely happy to start sharing new music with everyone. I couldn’t be more proud and excited to share this new album with you very soon. Mika X

My new track Talk About You was released in France and other countries this week! My co-writers and I wrote it in the height of the summer. The song captures summer crush and the rush it brings. It became immediately obvious that the melody was referencing Sarà Perché Ti Amo and Only Want To Be With You. Instead of changing it or hiding it, and potentially ruining the vibe of the song, I decided to interpolate those melodies into the song and share the writing credit with them, with the original writers’ full permission. That is far better. Some music comes from no where, some is inspired by other songs and others totally reference them. In that case its always good to be crystal clear before a record even comes out. I am extremely happy to start sharing new music with everyone. I couldn’t be more proud and excited to share this new album with you very soon. Mika X

Good... Some loosers will have to shut up!

Yes, I'd like to hear how he came to write it. Did he consciously adapt the tune, or did someone have to break it to him that it had been done before? And once he had found that out, why did he release it as the lead single? :blink:

Maybe it's just a tribute to the italian music, who knows? :dunno:

but i'm sure that he was conscious. He said that he watched a lot of Sanremo's festival in VHS and this song come from Sanremo

It's not on the US iTunes or Amazaon yet, so you're not alone. From what I've seen on Mika's FB and a few other places, it looks like the single will be available worldwide on Tuesday, March 31. They even posted an ad for the single on Facebook to that effect, so I think we just have to be patient a few more days. :thumb_yello:

Thanks for information, Deb :huglove:

Well written comment about the issue :thumb_yello:

Good... Some loosers will have to shut up!

:naughty: I agree :aah: Thank you Robertina for sharing - it's very wise of MIKA to explain this issue himself, in a proper way! :blush-anim-cl: And he's totally right in what he says! I've been following pop & rock music since the 60ies, and I can't count all the times I've immediately reacted with "where did I hear this song, or little pieces of it, before?!" Imo, it's totally normal to find similar elements/tunes in the songs - and how could the songwriters avoid it - when there are thousands of songs made !?! :wink2:

Love,love

me

These days it would be almost impossible to write a song that doesn't resemble some other song from recently, or way-back-when.

Is that so? :shocked:

It's getting his name out there again.All publicity is good. Let them go for it. Sensible people will just pity them, because they have nothing better to do with their lives, than slag off Mika.

Sensible people will just say...

"Hey, Mika's back! Let's have a listen.

Then later...

"When can I download the new Mika song?"

I think I have some language issue here. I don't get how being sensible is related to liking Mika.

Let's face it, Mika fans and not fans will mock him FOREVAH here.

In Italy Sarà perché ti amo is considered trash music.

I'm still thinking about that.

Yeah, I forecast many tv shows will mock him, and radio stations as well, along with my husband and my friends.

Every random italian gets immediately aware that the two songs are related since the very first listening. I'll try to have my mom listen to it and see if she can relate Talk about you with sarà perchè ti amo. That will be the ultimate test, if she spots the ressemblance, then that's it, there's no way out.

But I'm not sure that will be a total failure.

Everybody, deep inside, secretly loves sarà perchè ti amo. But no one would ever admit it (but me), cause it's kind of lame. But it's cute and lighthearted and funny and catchy. And it strikes a chord like all those old items do (say floppy disks, telephone boxes, Glo Wormes, Belle and Sebastian, Popples, and omg Care Bears :wub2:)

Talk about you might give them a great excuse to feel that vibe with no shame. No one really cares whether the two songs sound alike, except us, who like to talk and argue about Mika's work.

Of course, that wouldn't help him to get a great song writer status, but I don't think he really ever got that halo. People don't think about him as a Freddy Mercury or Bocelli, they think about him as a cute and lighthearted and funny singer.

So, I'm not sure that this song wouldn't work in Italy.

Edited by Elwendin

I think I have some language issue here. I don't get how being sensible is related to liking Mika.

I think Marylin means people who have commun sense won't stop at that "scandal" (which is not one since all authors are credited) and listen to the song and like it, so it's good publicity ) Well that's what I understand anyway ....

Maybe it's just a tribute to the italian music, who knows? :dunno:

but i'm sure that he was conscious. He said that he watched a lot of Sanremo's festival in VHS and this song come from Sanremo

I think it's unconscious too , I tried once to compose an original tune and after I had, I realized it was "love and marriage" melody from "married with two children" series :doh: which I had probably watched too much :lmfao:

However , I still find Talk About You very different :teehee:

It was also posted in French. The post is on the facebook twitter thread if anyone wants to read it in French.

I think Marylin means people who have commun sense won't stop at that "scandal" and listen to the song and like it,

The thing is, I don't see that there's necessarily a connection between having common sense and liking Mika's work.

I think it's unconscious too , I tried once to compose an original tune and after I had, I realized it was "love and marriage" melody from "married with two children" series :doh: which I had probably watched too much :lmfao:

However , I still find Talk About You very different :teehee:

After reading what he wrote on fb i think it's uncouncius too! but the verses are really the same, everytime i listen to it, sadly the other song comes in my mind :overreact:

Anyway i don't care! he's an artist he must be free to do whatever he want (well, according to the law) :)

The thing is, I don't see that there's necessarily a connection between having common sense and liking Mika's work.

The way i understand it, it's not about liking his work but simply about not listening to bad (and trashy) press but building one's own opinion. :wink2:

The way i understand it, it's not about liking his work but simply about not listening to bad (and trashy) press but building one's own opinion. :wink2:

Thanks Mellody :huglove: That's what I understood too, but I was unable to express it clearly :doh:

Pretty certain that FB post is him covering his back, regarding influences the song has from other songs. Especially as he mentions asking permission from the writers to use those influences in the song.

Sharing royalties is WAY less money to shell out, than paying a massive lawsuit.

The reference isn't as blatant as Relax and Died in your Arms, at least? I don't remember there being a fuss about that at the time either. :S

There wasn't a fuss, because Mika credited the song he had taken the sample from, so royalties got paid to the writer of that song. He mentioned it in one or two interviews, but no big thing was made about it.

But now after this massive lawsuit that Marvin Gayes estate hit Robin Thicke and Pharrell with, things are not the same, as it's making everybody writing new songs very nervous. So getting in first, by crediting, getting original writers permission to sample or take nuances from their songs, seems to be the smartest way to go, to avoid awkwardness, and spending huge amounts of money in suits later on.

The reference isn't as blatant as Relax and Died in your Arms, at least? I don't remember there being a fuss about that at the time either. :S

:thumb_yello:

There wasn't a fuss, because Mika credited the song he had taken the sample from, so royalties got paid to the writer of that song. He mentioned it in one or two interviews, but no big thing was made about it.

But now after this massive lawsuit that Marvin Gayes estate hit Robin Thicke and Pharrell with, things are not the same, as it's making everybody writing new songs very nervous. So getting in first, by crediting, getting original writers permission to sample or take nuances from their songs, seems to be the smartest way to go, to avoid awkwardness, and spending huge amounts of money in suits later on.

Kind of sad evolution :shocked:

Ahh okay! I didn't know about the Robin/Pharrell/Marvin Gaye thing but that makes a lot of sense actually.

I'm still thinking about that.

Yeah, I forecast many tv shows will mock him, and radio stations as well, along with my husband and my friends.

Every random italian gets immediately aware that the two songs are related since the very first listening. I'll try to have my mom listen to it and see if she can relate Talk about you with sarà perchè ti amo. That will be the ultimate test, if she spots the ressemblance, then that's it, there's no way out.

But I'm not sure that will be a total failure.

Everybody, deep inside, secretly loves sarà perchè ti amo. But no one would ever admit it (but me), cause it's kind of lame. But it's cute and lighthearted and funny and catchy. And it strikes a chord like all those old items do (say floppy disks, telephone boxes, Glo Wormes, Belle and Sebastian, Popples, and omg Care Bears :wub2:)

Talk about you might give them a great excuse to feel that vibe with no shame. No one really cares whether the two songs sound alike, except us, who like to talk and argue about Mika's work.

Of course, that wouldn't help him to get a great song writer status, but I don't think he really ever got that halo. People don't think about him as a Freddy Mercury or Bocelli, they think about him as a cute and lighthearted and funny singer.

So, I'm not sure that this song wouldn't work in Italy.

When I talk about sensible people, I don't mean, they are sensible if they like Mika. I mean, people who are too sensible to take notice of anything the trolls say about anyone. People who would be intelligent enough to judge for themselves. Who, if they are interested in hearing the song, would listen to it and judge for themselves. I hope that makes it clear for you. I understand that people who don't have English as a first language, might not get the nuances of what an English person might be saying.

Mika, however, has made his bold statement about the song. No one could misunderstand it, and let's hope it shuts these idiots up (it probably won't shut them all up, but it's written there in black and white for all to see)