Talk about you - Lyrics & Song Discussion

i think that the bridge had to have a different melody since the song it's enough repetitive.

That break is so sharp and a bit awkward it makes me think this is just a radio edit and maybe there's a full length version with a bit more going on in the bridge.

As a side note, I often find that the songs I dislike the most (like Shake It Off, see above!) are the ones that get stuck in my head the worst/longest. They don't call them "earworms" for nothing, I guess. :wink2:

The thing is Taylor Swift is guaranteed to get tons of radio play so it's going to get stuck in people's heads. I am not so sure this song will get that chance. Certainly not on BBC Radio 2, sandwiched between some 80s one hit wonder and Barry Manilow. :aah:

I don't think you have to sacrifice broad radio appeal in doing something with a bit more bite than this. It's a decent single but more like what I would expect as the 3rd or 4th on a great pop album.

Yes, it's repetitive, but for me it's not any worse than Elle Me Dit. That just seems to be the formula for most 3-minute pop songs these days. I'm thinking, "shake it off, shake it off... shake it off, shake it off.." How many times does she sing that? :doh: And "clap along if you feel like a room without a roof... clap along if you feel that happiness is the truth... clap along if you feel..." That just goes on and on. You get the idea. It's still a good song, but more than a little repetitive. :naughty: Anyhow, the repetition doesn't bother me too much in this song. Not like it has in others. ("Oh, Doctor John, what am I doin'? what am I doin' wrong?" :blink: You're singing the same darn chorus over and over and over again, that's what you're doing wrong! :aah:)

As much as I would like another completely different song, something "edgier as you say," I don't think that's going to get Mika much radio play right now -- not until he re-establishes himself with audiences who have forgotten who he is/was. :dunno: That's why I'm hopeful for this one -- it has pretty broad appeal, IMO.

As a side note, I often find that the songs I dislike the most (like Shake It Off, see above!) are the ones that get stuck in my head the worst/longest. They don't call them "earworms" for nothing, I guess. :wink2:

I agree with everything! I think this is by far not the best Mika song (even though I do like it as a happy spring/summer song), but it's a potentially very good first single. You should listen to Taylor Swift's full album, Shake It Off is such a simple, repetitive song compared to the rest of the album, but it does SO WELL as a single. Of course, it's played a lot so that helps with people having it stuck in their heads, but I think that if people wouldn't have it stuck in their heads, it wouldn't be played a lot. I think it's a mutually reinforcing process (is that how you say it?).

I read your comments and more or less I think as many of you. I really like the song and especially the lyrics. The intro with the bass is v good and the fake ending is a nice experiment :naughty: The chorus yes is repetitive :aah: but it's what the public like atm. For me the track is good (better than Elle me dit or Popular :aah: )

I follow the musical market for business reasons and I noticed that every song that I hated at the end they revealed to be hits! You know, people like Sheppard or Ariana Grande, James Bay, Hozier, Ellie Goulding even Ed Sheeran make their first hit very repetitive as Deb said (take for example Sing or Love me Harder or Love me like you do bla bla bla) so that anyone who listen to the song on the radio while they're driving or cooking or doing anything else, they remember it and even if they hate that song it remains etched in their mind. It's a strategy of the market! They remain at the top of the charts for just this reason and for another one that it's very important (at least for the 60%).

Now, in this case we have a danceable song with a repetitive chorus so Mika could even reach the top of the charts (if Blurred Lines has made it and it was plagiarized, I do not see why he couldn't) BUT there's the second reason that he should absolutely follow otherwise all this talk that we do are useless: the promotion!! The song has to be constantly on radio like the other artists and he should start making promo personally in all possible radios and present the cd or the single so the people know again who he is. If the song is on the radio only 2/3 times a day is useless, he will not do anything and we go back again to the beginning. LICM was promoted very well, I remember that I always listened his songs in radio so why not do it again? if he promotes the single well, I think that everything will be a lot easier and he will take the fruits of his work. He deserves it

Edited by Lucrezia

Repetition is a much used trick in pop songs. Highly effective too because the more you repeat something, the more likely it is to get stuck in people's heads. Which this song demonstrates perfectly, I think.

I like it. It is not his best song ever but it is better than Celebrate and very likely to get played on the radio (IF HE GETS OFF HIS BUTT AND PROMOTES IT).

and I heard some kind of crescendo of How much do you love me at the beginning...

I feel that it has elements of OOL too

Exactly same as my idea.

Not the Best Mika-ish stuff, but it's one of the most radio-friendly Mika songs I've ever heard :thumb_yello:

I hope this could have some unexpectable variations during the flow... it's repeating too much... but when consider it's played in radio... not that bad.

Yes... Radio friendly... But as Deb says... Definitely an earworm. 'I know a song that will get on your nerves' comes to mind :naughty:

Repetition is a much used trick in pop songs. Highly effective too because the more you repeat something, the more likely it is to get stuck in people's heads. Which this song demonstrates perfectly, I think.

I like it. It is not his best song ever but it is better than Celebrate and very likely to get played on the radio (IF HE GETS OFF HIS BUTT AND PROMOTES IT).

tumblr_mm1lngyqo01s8lzgwo1_250.gif

That break is so sharp and a bit awkward it makes me think this is just a radio edit and maybe there's a full length version with a bit more going on in the bridge.

The thing is Taylor Swift is guaranteed to get tons of radio play so it's going to get stuck in people's heads. I am not so sure this song will get that chance. Certainly not on BBC Radio 2, sandwiched between some 80s one hit wonder and Barry Manilow. :aah:

I don't think you have to sacrifice broad radio appeal in doing something with a bit more bite than this. It's a decent single but more like what I would expect as the 3rd or 4th on a great pop album.

Radio two will play it... Because they always do... Particularly Ken Bruce.... But that won't have much impact.

Radio two will play it... Because they always do... Particularly Ken Bruce.... But that won't have much impact.

If Jo Whiley, Dermot O leary and Graham Norton play it, that would help.

Now, in this case we have a danceable song with a repetitive chorus so Mika could even reach the top of the charts (if Blurred Lines has made it and it was plagiarized, I do not see why he couldn't) BUT there's the second reason that he should absolutely follow otherwise all this talk that we do are useless: the promotion!! The song has to be constantly on radio like the other artists and he should start making promo personally in all possible radios and present the cd or the single so the people know again who he is. If the song is on the radio only 2/3 times a day is useless, he will not do anything and we go back again to the beginning. LICM was promoted very well, I remember that I always listened his songs in radio so why not do it again? if he promotes the single well, I think that everything will be a lot easier and he will take the fruits of his work. He deserves it

THIS depends on his record company and what/how much they want to spend on his promotion and the policy of the mainstream radios, not by him.Maybe you (not "you" personally, but in general) have forgotten everything he is saying about it for two, three years.

Edited by charlie20

Just listened to it all right now (I only heard half of it this afternoon) and the chorus is already growing annoying in my ears. Which is quite a problem since I really like the verses.

I'm picturing myself at a gig: singing and dancing and smiling - checking the phone - jumping and more singing - replying to some e-mails.... :facepalm:

it's catchy! at first i wasn't sure, but after listening to it again (and again and again and again and again) i think i'm in love. Yeah, the chorus is a bit repetitive but i like the verses enough to overlook that.

Walk through the city like stupid people do

A million faces, but all I'm seeing is you

I'm stopping strangers and telling them your name

Convincin' haters, one day they'll feel the same

oh my, the irony of these lyrics is not lost on me :teehee:

Just listened to it all right now (I only heard half of it this afternoon) and the chorus is already growing annoying in my ears. Which is quite a problem since I really like the verses.

I'm picturing myself at a gig: singing and dancing and smiling - checking the phone - jumping and more singing - replying to some e-mails.... :facepalm:

Taking photos :thumb_yello:

it's catchy! at first i wasn't sure, but after listening to it again (and again and again and again and again) i think i'm in love. Yeah, the chorus is a bit repetitive but i like the verses enough to overlook that.

:naughty:

Yes, you are right :thumb_yello::wink2:

I'm digging it :pbjt: Very catchy, good verses and that bass is blowing my mind

Hoping it'll open the way for a serious comeback.

:blush-anim-cl: So - this was a really great birthday gift to you, from MIKA! :wub2: Congratz! :huglove: I hope you had a lovely day, singing along with his new song...:fisch::mikadas:

Love,love

me

THIS depends on his record company and what/how much they want to spend on his promotion and the policy of the mainstream radios, not by him.Maybe you have forgotten everything he is saying about it for two, three years.

Well of course I know that depends on his record company and not by him as for all that concerns him. But thank you anyway for your nice note :wink2:

I love the melody of the verses. So much!!! Especially the beginning when there is mostly only the bass line and his voice is great. I didn't like the chorus too much at the first listen, but after I listened again I started to like the melody, too. And this melody sticks to your head as much as the melody of the verse. But it's too repetitive for me. The more I listen the more it gets borderline annoying to me. I think some changes of the words of the lyrics or changes in the arrangement would have been great. So you'd have the melody but with variations. I like TAY, but some spike, some edge is missing for me, the thing that makes a catchy song to an amazing song. Which is unfortunate, because until 1:40 min the song is on its way to become exactly such a song for me. If the acoustic bridge would have been longer and the chorus instead a bit shorter…

And I was worried when I realized how I would place the song in my Eurovision ranking. There's no connection between Eurovison and Mika of course (before someone starts to panic :naughty:, and sorry for getting a bit offtopic :teehee:), but as I did a ranking over the weekend and my brain is somehow still in "song sorting modus" it just automatically happened that I began to rank it. The place depends a bit on if I would rate it down because of the repetitiveness, but it would never scratch my Top 3. And it's Mika, he easily should go straight to my Number 1! :shocked:

But don't give too much on my opinion, I thought Celebrate was ****ing amazing after I heart it for the first time :teehee:

:aah: I love the lyric - it's simple and happy - and describes very well about being madly in love :naughty: Imo, it fits for the time of the year - and I hope it will be a huge summerhit...:mikalove:

Love,love

me

:aah: I love the lyric - it's simple and happy - and describes very well about being madly in love :naughty: Imo, it fits for the time of the year - and I hope it will be a huge summerhit...:mikalove:

Love,love

me

Yes :blush-anim-cl:

My thoughts too, it's a love song :wub2: and a catchy tune that makes you want to dance, as well as a huge "I am who I am and I love who I love and that makes me proud and happy and I don't care what haters say" that makes it an anthem to the right to love for everyone and saying love is stronger than hate in a very joyful way :thumb_yello:

That's very much what I feel in the lyrics , an explosion of love and of freedom :mikalove:

(Kind of as in F U by Katie Perry :wink2: )

I'm not a big Taylor Swift fan, but I really liked Shake It Off :naughty: That, and All About That Bass, for example, are songs which are poppy and catchy and good - as soon as you hear them, you know they are going to be hits.

I don't get that feeling from TAY :dunno:

I love the melody of the verses. So much!!! Especially the beginning when there is mostly only the bass line and his voice is great. I didn't like the chorus too much at the first listen, but after I listened again I started to like the melody, too. And this melody sticks to your head as much as the melody of the verse. But it's too repetitive for me. The more I listen the more it gets borderline annoying to me. I think some changes of the words of the lyrics or changes in the arrangement would have been great. So you'd have the melody but with variations. I like TAY, but some spike, some edge is missing for me, the thing that makes a catchy song to an amazing song. Which is unfortunate, because until 1:40 min the song is on its way to become exactly such a song for me. If the acoustic bridge would have been longer and the chorus instead a bit shorter…

And I was worried when I realized how I would place the song in my Eurovision ranking. There's no connection between Eurovison and Mika of course (before someone starts to panic :naughty:, and sorry for getting a bit offtopic :teehee:), but as I did a ranking over the weekend and my brain is somehow still in "song sorting modus" it just automatically happened that I began to rank it. The place depends a bit on if I would rate it down because of the repetitiveness, but it would never scratch my Top 3. And it's Mika, he easily should go straight to my Number 1! :shocked:

But don't give too much on my opinion, I thought Celebrate was ****ing amazing after I heart it for the first time :teehee:

Funnily enough, when I heard TAY I thought maybe Mika should write a Eurovision song, because that's what it reminded me of :naughty: (but not a good one)