Talk about you - Lyrics & Song Discussion

Am I crazy?:blink:

Parts of the song (the ones that I like better- verses:teehee:) sound to me like recycled How Much Do You Love Me!:shocked:

No, you're not crazy because I am :naughty:

It's funny how we all hear/see something different in that song, that's really amazing :teehee:

Edited by crazyaboutmika

Well of course I know that depends on his record company and not by him as for all that concerns him. But thank you anyway for your nice note :wink2:

Oh, sorry! With "you" , I didn't mean you personally, but it was in general.I correct it immediately.Sorry again.

Simply, what a musician/artist wants or would not always correspond to what his record company wants and their promotion of him and his music, as well as the media (especially mainstream media)'s role in it.The music scene right now is what it is because the people who decide think in a certain way.

That break is so sharp and a bit awkward it makes me think this is just a radio edit and maybe there's a full length version with a bit more going on in the bridge.

Just bought it on French iTunes: it's 3 minutes and 22 seconds long, 7 seconds longer than the radio version. I didn't notice the difference though.

It is very good when you listen to it quite loud, the louder the better! :wub2: I like the verses and the chorus is of course repetitive but nicer than for exemple in Only love you when I am drunk in my opinion.

Have you seen this article about the subject :teehee:?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11314624/Repetitive-pop-songs-more-likely-to-be-hits.html

Edited by Menthe

Just bought it on French iTunes: it's 3 minutes and 22 seconds long, 7 seconds longer than the radio version. I didn't notice the difference though.

It is very good when you listen to it quite loud, the louder the better! :wub2: I like the verses and the chorus is of course repetitive but nicer than for exemple in Only love you when I am drunk in my opinion.

Have you seen this article about the subject :teehee:?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/11314624/Repetitive-pop-songs-more-likely-to-be-hits.html

I just bought it on amazon.fr :thumb_yello: It's also available at google play and itunes , but only in France for the moment sadly and I hope it becomes available worldwide very fast because that makes no sense :overreact: and I feel bad that other fans have to wait for it :sneaky2: and mad too :badword: Why is it still like that? :sad:

Edited by crazyaboutmika

Radio two will play it... Because they always do... Particularly Ken Bruce.... But that won't have much impact.

That's exactly what happened. I am not being facetious about Barry Manilow sadly. :shocked: I thought R2 was simply Adult Contemporary and played recent music outside the top 40 genre, not 1970s easy listening for your granny.

Maybe you (not "you" personally, but in general) have forgotten everything he is saying about it for two, three years.

What he has been saying is that he would take his promo into his own hands and strongly implied he would spend his own money if he had to. But where was he today when his song was debuting on UK radio? Not even so much as a tweet to his excited fans. It's time for him to put his money (and everything else) where his mouth is when it comes to promoting his music instead of making it appear like it is his absolute last priority - below being fitted for a suit or designing a watch. If he does not, it's time for him and his fans to graciously accept the consequences instead of moaning and blaming everyone but Mika for the fact that his music doesn't sell like it did in the days when he was busting his ass to promote it.

oh my, the irony of these lyrics is not lost on me :teehee:

Ha yup, I immediately thought of that. :teehee:

But it's too repetitive for me. The more I listen the more it gets borderline annoying to me. I think some changes of the words of the lyrics or changes in the arrangement would have been great. So you'd have the melody but with variations. I like TAY, but some spike, some edge is missing for me, the thing that makes a catchy song to an amazing song.

I agree with you but hasn't this really been the case with every song with hit potential since WAG? Nothing was worse than Rain for repetition. It was just the same word over and over and over and in a shrill falsetto you'd expect to annoy anyone but Mika's mother and yet it did quite well in France and I personally enjoyed it at gigs. I think this is a weakness in Mika's songwriting but it's almost a hallmark of it at this point. Melodic verses followed by endlessly repetitive choruses. At least this is better than Good Guys with that horrible word "gutter" repeated 30 times even though it's just the pre chorus. I can't even listen to it.

I'm not a big Taylor Swift fan, but I really liked Shake It Off :naughty: That, and All About That Bass, for example, are songs which are poppy and catchy and good - as soon as you hear them, you know they are going to be hits.

I don't get that feeling from TAY :dunno:

I think All About That Bass is a fantastic song and that's the kind of thing I was referring to when I said to Deb that you do not have to sacrifice to have an earworm with mass appeal. I think Shake It Off is awful though and if an unknown girl had sung it instead of America's sweetheart it wouldn't have gotten off the ground. But that's JMO :naughty:

And to Lucrezia I think it was who mentioned Blurred Lines - also a fantastic song. Ripping it off from Marvin Gaye only proves that Marvin Gaye made great and timeless music, not that Blurred Lines is a bad song. There is nothing new in pop music anymore. The key is to emulate the greats in an authentic way like Mark Ronson does instead of making a poor imitation of something that was not even considered good when it was released in the 1970s or 1980s. eg Eurovision style pop

Am I crazy?:blink:

Parts of the song (the ones that I like better- verses:teehee:) sound to me like recycled How Much Do You Love Me!:shocked:

Yes I was thinking about that this morning and was wondering if it was an accident of self-plagiarization or he had purposely recycled it. :naughty:

it's 3 minutes and 22 seconds long, 7 seconds longer than the radio version. I didn't notice the difference though.

Ah I see. There could still be a different version on the album though especially if Mika keeps tinkering with it until the last minute as he seems to do. :naughty: There has been talk of a new radio format where they basically condense and eviscerate pop songs so you get virtually nothing but the annoying catchy bits. :aah:

I've been listening to it the whole day... First impression? I was thrilled to wake up to the complete version (got an adrenaline rush as I got out of bed and started dancing :teehee: )

The piano tune reminds me of his first album... but frankly I don't think it's a song that I'm gonna stop and dissect... it's catchy, it's joyful, makes me smile every time I play it :blush-anim-cl: :blush-anim-cl:

I'm just so happy to have new material to play, one step closer to the whole album!! SO HAPPY!

I'm definitely more positive about the upcoming album than i was for the last one.

I love this song even though I find it a bit too repetitive to my taste. It gives me the feeling Mika is a bit "lazy" in his writting sometimes and i don't like it 'cause i know he's not (anyway, TAY is FAR from Make you happy in terms of boring repetition :aah:).

This said, it's a good catchy song and I like it. Moreover it's IN ENGLISH and I'm so happy about that! I'm definitely not a big fan of his collaboration with Doriand and I think french kind of reduce his voice, even though I'm happy he sometimes sings in my native language...

I loved listening to the new songs in Montreal, therefore I'm really curious about what they're going to sound like on the album (and I really hope not to hear that horrible bathroom sound from the origin of love anymore :teehee:).

I just bought it on amazon.fr. It's also available at google play and itunes , but only in France for the moment sadly and I hope it becomes available worldwide very fast because that makes no sense and I feel bad that other fans have to wait for it

I don't get it as well. :dunno:

But I'm pretty sure that the other fans don't have to wait. It's all over the place on the internet, it's not like they can't listen to it. They can't buy it, so you can feel bad for him who's not getting $ at the moment :biggrin2:

I don't get it as well. :dunno:

But I'm pretty sure that the other fans don't have to wait. It's all over the place on the internet, it's not like they can't listen to it. They can't buy it, so you can feel bad for him who's not getting $ at the moment :biggrin2:

As I posted in the thread about the twitter/facebook updates etc., I could buy it on the Dutch iTunes as well! I think that you can buy it as long as you don't live in the UK. Maybe people from other countries can confirm if you can buy it? I had to search for it, it didn't show up when I searched for 'Mika' but it was the first song that showed up when I searched for 'Talk About You'. :thumb_yello:

So glad to have a high quality version, it sounds really good! Nice and loud :naughty:

I must admit I'm loving the song more and more with each listen. I think the verses are very special and there is thought and pain behind them.

It's about a gay couple in love, isn't it? They walk down the street together and no one knows how in-love they really are.

The repetition in the chorus doesn't bother me, because it's addictive, and the song is way better than Celebrate.

If the album is called, No Place In Heaven, I'm definitely seeing a theme.

So now Mika needs to promote himself and his new music, in the UK and elsewhere. It's frustrating that the single is unavailable in the UK, when it was played on the radio yesterday. R2 are not the best for promoting singles, but if the DJs all get behind it, it might be a hit.

I hope so.

But as someone has said, Mika needs to get more enthusiastic about the song and the album. Not just sit procrastinating in his big red chair.

This is the pop world, not "Game of Big Red Thrones".

16899578016_0baec9a55c_b.jpg

That stare is so intense! :hypo: How can he even do that? Some people are so photogenic...

I'm really liking this new single :wub2: It's not near his best songs (nothing like The Last Party which is my absolute favorite of his new songs) but I liked it yesterday and I'm liking it even more today. Bought it from my local iTunes as soon as I woke up and love having a high quality version of it (and I'm sure live versions will be much better and that he will add something new there).

Loving the artwork as well! Looks fresh and the new colors and little figures with a dog are already symbolizing his new music in my mind :wub2: I hope we will see them later. This is different style but the colors fit well with the beautiful artwork he used in Montreal.

Edited by tiibet

Mixed feelings…

I don't know anything about pop music but this single shamelessly reminds me of an Italian song my parents used to listen when I was a child in the 1980’s: Sarà perché ti amo (Ricchi e poveri).

I know this is just pop music but I was expecting something more complex, more layered. Even Taylor Swift’s "Shake it off" (or something like that, which I have just discovered) sounds less simplistic to my ear (and to my brain!).

Looking forward to listening the whole opus.

Edited by Alex_RV

Mixed feelings…

I don't know anything about pop music but this single shamelessly reminds me of an Italian song my parents used to listen when I was a child in the 1980’s: Sarà perché ti amo (Ricchi e poveri).

I know this is just pop music but I was expecting something more complex, more layered. Even Taylor Swift’s "Shake it off" (or something like that, which I have just discovered) sounds less simplistic to my ear (and to my brain!).

Looking forward to listening the whole opus.

OMG, it really is like Sarà perché ti amo!!!

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked::shocked::shocked:

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

I suppose this is why I like the verses so much.

That was my super favourite song as a child, but... I just can't think that Mika is the new Angelo Sotgiu

:floor::floor::floor:

(anyway, anyone can check it here:

) Edited by Elwendin

CKOI Montreal radio station mentioned the new song and played a sample of it this morning (minutes after i tweeted them the link, though it was probably a coincidence :teehee:)

http://www.ckoi.com/mention/coutez-un-extrait-de-talk-about-you-de-mika-52512.html

Another radio station favorited my tweet to them concerning the new song :naughty:

I think it will get airplay here! :kachinga:

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked::shocked::shocked:

:lmfao::lmfao::lmfao::lmfao:

I suppose this is why I like the verses so much.

That was my super favourite song as a child, but... I just can't think that Mika is the new Angelo Sotgiu

:floor::floor::floor:

(anyway, anyone can check it here:

)

Ooooh! This song is familiar from my childhood! It was very typical for that time to translate big Italian hits to Finnish :teehee: I guess I've heard it in Italy as well.