Talk about you - Lyrics & Song Discussion

found this NME news by accident:

Mika returns with new single 'Talk About You' - listen

http://www.nme.com/news/mika/83889#I9gaATw4QMkTGucG.99

They don't really say anything good or bad about the song, but i'm glad NME posted about him

:thumb_yello: Thank you!!:huglove: It's super that NME writes about MIKA already - a very good start!! I'm sooo happy you found this ...:fisch::wub2:

Love,love

me

Am I crazy?:blink:

Parts of the song (the ones that I like better- verses:teehee:) sound to me like recycled How Much Do You Love Me!:shocked:

No, you're not, I had mentioned a few posts ago :wink2:

and I heard some kind of crescendo of How much do you love me at the beginning...

Well, interestingly, I was reading a music blog earlier today, which said that the writers of Talk About You were: Mika, Johan Carlsson, Ross Golan, Danio Farina, Enzo Ghinazzi, Daniele Pace, Michael Edwin Hawker and Ivor Raymond.

And if you look up who wrote Sara' perche' ti amo, the writers credited are: Danio Farina, Enzo Ghinazzi, Daniele Pace and Luis Gómez Escolar

So... I think Mika HAS borrowed from the old song, which was written in the '80s. Not like that has ever happened before. :dunno:

BTW, here's the blog: http://www.directlyrics.com/new-music-mika-talk-about-you-full-song-review-news.html

Aawww, tks, so the authors of Dusty Springfield song "I only want to be with you" were mentioned!!

We were right even with this!!

From the very first listening, it reminded me this song :mikacool:

[YOUTUBE]osVaF4t-zFc[/YOUTUBE]

This is apocalypse. I just played Talk about You for my husband to compare it with Sarà perchè ti amo and suddenly I've heard it. They sounds alike here and there, but especially in one line they are exactly the same :shocked:

So I ran here to scream my disbelief and shout at you guys that pointed it out for me and I saw your post. Which of course made it worse for me.

Now I won't ever get rid of this thought!!!! :banghead:

the verses but especially around second 17 and 32 and so on, THAT melody and this one:

the verses but especially around second 30 and second 44 and so on

I should have been wary when I liked the verses at the very first listen during that snippet weeks ago, I never like almost any song at first.

I'm not skilled enough to merge them, but please someone do it :floor: (although I think it won't take long for italian radios or tv shows to notice it and do it)

My husband will mock me for centuries :aah:

Well, at least I have the same music taste that I used to have as I child. I'm consistent :shun:

Maybe this is why this single isn't available in Italy :biggrin2:

EDIT: This is getting awkward. I published Talk about you on my facebook asking random people to say what it sounds like, and they immediately got it :tears:

Let's face it, Mika fans and not fans will mock him FOREVAH here.

In Italy Sarà perché ti amo is considered trash music.

Oh my :mikasweat:

Played it for my 12 yr old son. He LOVED it! Especially the weird stop-start again thing :naughty: Soo...just saying, it's a very catchy dance-y song, and if played often enough, it might go very well with the younger generation.

I found it too simple, melody-wise, but it is definitely stuck in my head now, and I do love the chorus!

Also, am I the only one who loves the musical part? Not sure how to put it in words- just all that bass, drums and guitars...

I really love the new song but I doubt it will get any radio play here because most people seem to have forgotten about him. :/

Aww, your siggie is so cute :wub2:

Just my two cents on TAY being similar to Sara Perque Ti Amo: there was this guy on a French radio show who did a comparaison between several sets of two very well know songs each Friday a few years ago (he worked in Laurent Ruquier team but I don't remember his name ) and he managed to make all songs look the same, so basically his theory was that all songs were very very similar, but people didn't notice it :teehee:

I love that song back then , but I don't find it so similar and even if it is when I hear Mika's voice singing TAY, I melt :wub2: and I'm happy :mikalove:

I may be wieird , but when I was listening to a video for the subtitle thread I noticed the way he says "but" and he says it just like that in TAY and call me crazy :teehee: but I love it :wub2: I have a thing for Mika's voice, it makes me instantly joyful and happy and that song just makes me feel like dancing and being happy :woot_jump: and I love that :boing:

Thank you for the link to the blog Deb :huglove:

Played it for my 12 yr old son. He LOVED it! Especially the weird stop-start again thing :naughty: Soo...just saying, it's a very catchy dance-y song, and if played often enough, it might go very well with the younger generation.

I found it too simple, melody-wise, but it is definitely stuck in my head now, and I do love the chorus!

Also, am I the only one who loves the musical part? Not sure how to put it in words- just all that bass, drums and guitars...

I played it for a three years old I look after and he was hooked at once like me :naughty::wub2:

I love the part when it stops and starts again :thumb_yello:

Here we go. I took a quick tour on the internet and found out that people are already aware of that resemblance:

I still think it's funny. I'm so not over it yet.

It is very rare times like this where I thank the lord I was not born in Europe. :shocked:

As I was saying earlier the key to making great songs these days is to fashion it after great songs of yesteryear (like Marvin Gaye's). Not some schlock like this. :no:

For me it's loosely similar, but nothing very near.

That's just speculating now, but for me it looks a bit like with Relax, no actual copying but realizing afterwards that something similar exists already, so the authors were cited :dunno:

Edit: Seems like the people who were reminded of "I only want to be with you" weren't the only ones, the last names, Michael Edwin Hawker and Ivor Raymond, are the writers of this song ;)

:thumb_yello:

even if it were deliberate and therefore to avoid problems he cited all the authors, also for me it's just loosely similar and the lyrics are completely and obviously his.

Look at this, please:

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sar%C3%A0_perch%C3%A9_ti_amo/Bello_l%27amore

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sar%C3%A0_perch%C3%A9_ti_amo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sar%C3%A0_perch%C3%A9_ti_amo

"È forse la loro canzone più conosciuta. Venne presentata al Festival di Sanremo nel 1981, dove si classificò quinta. Fu scritta da Enzo Ghinazzi, in arte Pupo, Daniele Pace e Dario Farina, tutti in forza alla vulcanica etichetta milanese che riuscì a riportare i Ricchi e Poveri, che negli ultimi anni risultavano in penombra sulla scena musicale italiana, al massimo della celebrità. La popolarità di questo pezzo, difatti, superò ogni aspettativa: divenne il singolo italiano più venduto dell'anno in Italia, dove rimase in cima alle classifiche settimanali per nove settimane (dal 3 marzo al 28 giugno, non consecutive). La canzone consacrò il gruppo a livello internazionale, avendo largo eco nell'America Latina e in tutta Europa: è stata infatti oggetto di numerosissime cover e diversi adattamenti in lingua (soprattutto in spagnolo: Será porque te amo, anche cantato per Thalía nel suo disco Lunada, 2008). È stata inoltre utilizzata come colonna sonora di varie pellicole cinematografiche, tra le quali L'effrontée - Sarà perché ti amo?, con Charlotte Gainsbourg del 1985 e Alta Tensione del 2003, nonché di Love Is All You Need, commedia romantica del 2012 con Pierce Brosnan e compare, inoltre, in un passaggio del film italiano del 2007 Una moglie bellissima di e con Leonardo Pieraccioni."

Colonne sonore

""Sarà perché ti amo" fa parte della colonna sonora delle seguenti pellicole cinematografiche:

L'effrontée - Sarà perché ti amo?, commedia francese diretta da Claude Miller (1985)[40];

Mafia kid, commedia statunitense diretta da Paul Morrissey (1988);

Alta Tensione, thriller francese diretto da Alexandre Aja (2003);

Una moglie bellissima, commedia italiana diretta da Leonardo Pieraccioni (2007);

Unmade beds (letti sfatti), commedia inglese diretta da Alexis Dos Santos (2009);

L'Italien, commedia francese diretta da Olivier Baroux (2010);

Che bella giornata, commedia italiana diretta da Gennaro Nunziante, avente per protagonista Checco Zalone (2011);

Les vacances de Ducobu, commedia francese diretta da Philippe de Chauveron (2012);

Love Is All You Need, commedia romantica danese diretta da Susanne Bier (2012);

Amori elementari, commedia romantica italo-russa opera prima di Sergio Basso (2014);

Asterix e il Regno degli Dei, film d'animazione francese (2014)."

"Il 45 giri Sarà perché ti amo resta in vetta alla classifica italiana per dieci settimane, su diciannove di permanenza nella Top Ten (ossia per otto mesi), conquistandosi il titolo di singolo italiano più venduto del 1981 con ben 7 milioni di copie vendute. Il brano scala i vertici delle classifiche anche all'estero: per cinque mesi in Belgio e Francia, tre in Austria, quattro in Germania e ben sei mesi in Spagna (Sarà perché ti amo ha venduto 1.022.000 copie in Francia). Ciò valse ai Ricchi e poveri un disco d’oro per la canzone."

"Sarà perché ti amo est une chanson interprétée par le groupe de musique populaire italien Ricchi e Poveri en 1981. La chanson est présentée à la 31e édition du Festival de San Remo où elle termine cinquième. Elle est considérée comme un des plus grands succès de Ricchi e Poveri. Elle a vendu 1.022.000 exemplaires en France2 et elle est 8e des ventes de l'année 1981.

Sarà perché ti amo est la bande originale du film L'Effrontée sortie en 1985, Haute Tension sortie en 2003, L'Italien sortie en 2010, Les Vacances de Ducobu sortie en 2012 et Astérix : Le Domaine des dieux sortie en 2014."

Edited by charlie20

Hopefully he'll be able to stop talking about his boyfriend long enough to talk about this song and how it was made, like the TOOL track by tracks. I look forward to hearing his insights, to hear if he's aware of the similarity to other songs.

And to hearing it live, i can't wait to find out what he does with it live! Hopefully he'll perform it accoustically on some radio/tv shows :wub2:

It's not the melody that makes a song trashy though and this is the only thing where the 2 songs have some similarities :dunno:

found this NME news by accident:

Mika returns with new single 'Talk About You' - listen

http://www.nme.com/news/mika/83889#I9gaATw4QMkTGucG.99

They don't really say anything good or bad about the song, but i'm glad NME posted about him

I can't believe NME actually wrote about him! :shocked:

I didn't think they ever would again. So I guess that's a step in the right direction.

I had to laugh when I saw this, though:

The singer began writing his new album, currently untitled, in 2013.

OK, so the album is called "Talk About You"... no, it's "No Place in Heaven"... no, wait, it's untitled. :naughty:

I didn't think they ever would again. So I guess that's a step in the right direction.

OK, so the album is called "Talk About You"... no, it's "No Place in Heaven"... no, wait, it's untitled. :naughty:

:blush-anim-cl: YES, it's fantastic - indeed, I'm so happy!! :aah: Now I hope that also Q Magazine gives MIKA new attention...:mikadas:

I'm also excited about the title for the new alb. and hope it will be confirmed soon...:fisch:

Love,love

me

For me it's loosely similar, but nothing very near.

That's just speculating now, but for me it looks a bit like with Relax, no actual copying but realizing afterwards that something similar exists already, so the authors were cited :dunno:

That's possible. I'm not surprised even if did it on purpose though, it's not the first time he is doing something like that, using bits and pieces here and there. A lot of people seemed to notice the copying and he so openly credits the original song so maybe he just thought it's a cool and funny idea :dunno:

I read about this issue not long ago, why songs offering easy, familiar tunes are more likely to be hits and how more complicated songs get their chance located (on radio playlists) between strong hits (so they become familiar without too much effort from a listener). There's a lot of research about it. So it was hilarious to realize I liked the familiar part in TAY and didn't even notice it was that familiar, lol!

I'm worried he took a big risk with this. Italians seem to take these things quite seriously and not sure they all automatically think it's funny and cool (so yes makes sense it's not available as a single there). I just hope it will get a lot of radio play, he needs and deserves it.

I really love the new song but I doubt it will get any radio play here because most people seem to have forgotten about him. :/

Welcome to the MFC! Maybe you won't be the only English fan to join.

I'm a rep for England here, so I hope so.

People just have to know he is back. If Radio 2 get behind the song, and if it's a hit everywhere else, UK might take notice.

We just have to hope.

It seems that music blogs all over, even outside of France and Italy, are picking up on the song:

http://eqmusicblog.com/listen-to-talk-about-you-by-mika/

http://www.infomusic.ro/2015/03/mika-talk-about-you-audio/

http://videoclips.blog.nl/pop/2015/03/25/nieuwe-muziek-mika-talk-about-you

http://www.vagalume.com.br/news/2015/03/25/ouca-talk-about-you-novo-single-de-mika.html

This one says it will be available at all digital outlets on March 31, which makes sense for the US, at least -- our new music is usually released on Tuesdays:

http://clizbeats.com/mika-premieres-new-single-talk-today-vevo-6564/

What matter is that everyone talks about it :teehee:

As far as "Talk About You As " iself as the saying goes, there's "no such thing as bad publicity". All that buzz around it will make people curious to listen to it and once they do they will be hooked :naughty: It is truly infectious :thumb_yello:

Many listeners compare "Talk About You" to Mika's LICM songs ( as many MFCers did as well when they heard Good Guys )and I think that's really true, with very deep heart touching meaningful lyrics wrapped up in a happy catchy bubble pop melody , and with the same happy and clever message to "haters" that reminds me of "walk out the door" in Grace Kelly :wink2: and I think that's very much like the first Mika songs :wub2:

Edited by crazyaboutmika

That's possible. I'm not surprised even if did it on purpose though, it's not the first time he is doing something like that, using bits and pieces here and there. A lot of people seemed to notice the copying and he so openly credits the original song so maybe he just thought it's a cool and funny idea :dunno:

I read about this issue not long ago, why songs offering easy, familiar tunes are more likely to be hits and how more complicated songs get their chance located (on radio playlists) between strong hits (so they become familiar without too much effort from a listener). There's a lot of research about it. So it was hilarious to realize I liked the familiar part in TAY and didn't even notice it was that familiar, lol!

I'm worried he took a big risk with this. Italians seem to take these things quite seriously and not sure they all automatically think it's funny and cool (so yes makes sense it's not available as a single there). I just hope it will get a lot of radio play, he needs and deserves it.

Yeah, I think it could be for that reason, too.

Ricchi e Poveri and Pupo are not a good "business card" to present here...

I love that bit in the middle, but I know it drives radio djs crazy, as they think the song is finished sooner than they thought, and on one show on R2, it will mean it will get cut off at that point, as the guy just cuts records off at mid point anyway so he can just jabber on. He does it with Ed Sheerans 'Sing' and it drives me insane!:sneaky2:

That is totally unexpected, NEVER thought he would still register on NMEs radar, let alone them mention this single and the album.

But VERY, VERY happy that they have:thumb_yello:

"And if I'm crazy, that's cause you made me" I'm so glad he got to use that in a single, it sort of echoes that LICM demo You Made Me he did. The first time I heard him sing it I dropped everything and went CAUSE YOU MAAADE MEEEEE! I love it though, can't stop playing it! Worked it out on piano too and started scoring the parts out in Sibelius (music notation software) so I'll share that when it's done for anyone who wants to play it too! ? so are we thinking Staring at the Sun will be the second single? ? can't wait to hear that! It sounds really Empire of the Sun-esque, but I reckon it's because it's one of the songs he wrote with Nick Littlemore.

In France that was a major hit :teehee:

Here, too, at that time.

But when you mention them here, people will laugh forevah :blush-anim-cl:

Just like Toto Cutugno, Albano, or other people who were successful abroad...

It seems that music blogs all over, even outside of France and Italy, are picking up on the song:

http://eqmusicblog.com/listen-to-talk-about-you-by-mika/

http://www.infomusic.ro/2015/03/mika-talk-about-you-audio/

http://videoclips.blog.nl/pop/2015/03/25/nieuwe-muziek-mika-talk-about-you

http://www.vagalume.com.br/news/2015/03/25/ouca-talk-about-you-novo-single-de-mika.html

This one says it will be available at all digital outlets on March 31, which makes sense for the US, at least -- our new music is usually released on Tuesdays:

http://clizbeats.com/mika-premieres-new-single-talk-today-vevo-6564/

Great! I read the Dutch one and he compared it to LICM and especially Grace Kelly and Relax as well, saying that this is the most serious candidate for a potential comeback. He also says that with these songs and his use of falsetto, Mika finds himself in an area between extremely catchy and terribly annoying, but let's not pay too much attention to that :naughty:

This photo :wub2:

I agree that this song is a bit repetitive, and not really original.

To be honest, the first time I listen it, I can even say that i wasn't convienced at all. But there has been a second time. And a third.

And now, i can listen to it again and again. It's not the best song Mika has ever done, but it's nice to hear and puts me in a good mood, and it's all i want from a Mika's song.

And i love the lyrics too !

So I really like it now :wub2:

Edited by Agathe.B
So sorry, my English is really bad :/