What Would You Do?

dcdeb

Hello everyone :)

So the hacking of MFC that occurred on Tuesday got me to thinking...

What would I do if the MFC wasn't here? :overreact:

I mean, what if it just went away one day? Would the Mika info I get on Twitter and Facebook be enough? Would I still feel the same sense of community that I feel here? :blink:

Let's face it, things are pretty quiet here right now -- we're all just sort of hanging in limbo, waiting for the new album... waiting for the tour, or even just more dates... waiting for the book... waiting for the promo to kick off... just... waiting. :wait:

So how much would MFC be missed? How bad was your withdrawal the other day when we were down for what was it? 4-5 hours?

I'm not planning on the demise of the MFC happening any time soon, don't worry! In fact, just the opposite -- we're looking into ways to update the forum and make it more secure, to ensure that we don't get hacked again, and to make this place even more useful and user-friendly. :thumb_yello: In fact, you may notice that our total membership number has gone down, as we've been culling inactive accounts in an effort to tighten up our database.

But the outage on Tuesday made me curious as to how YOU all feel? What would you do if there were no more Mika Fan Club?

I know a traditional forum like this competes with Twitter and Facebook and Instagram and all the other social media these days. So what can we do to make it even better? Do we just continue to wait for Mika? Or are there things that we can do to stimulate discussion and make this a more exciting and useful place?

I'll be interested to hear what you all have to say. Carry on. :naughty:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if mfc suddenly disappeared, i'd hurry to start a forum exactly like it. although i think, even if most of the same members came back, it just wouldn't be the same. mfc is mfc, i love it just like it is (maybe a new design would be nice, but i know you're working on that :teehee:), and i'd certainly miss it a LOT if it wasn't there anymore!

fb and twitter are just too big and impersonal, it's not the same. even if we might get the tourdates on mika's facebook now first, that'd be only the starting point for many gig threads on mfc, where we can make plans, discuss, and later write reports. it's like, fb and twitter are like cheap tabloids and mfc is the fabulous high quality newspaper you want to read every day, with serious information, presented perfectly, and entertainment, a lovely design, and just everything you want, regarding our topic "mika". :biggrin2: that pretty much sums it up for me, although there's not much news atm... but i'm sure that's just the calm before the storm. :biggrin2:

fb and twitter are just too big and impersonal, it's not the same. even if we might get the tourdates on mika's facebook now first, that'd be only the starting point for many gig threads on mfc, where we can make plans, discuss, and later write reports. it's like, fb and twitter are like cheap tabloids and mfc is the fabulous high quality newspaper you want to read every day, with serious information, presented perfectly, and entertainment, a lovely design, and just everything you want, regarding our topic "mika". :biggrin2: that pretty much sums it up for me, although there's not much news atm... but i'm sure that's just the calm before the storm. :biggrin2:

Totally agree with you Karin!

It would be weird if MFC will not be here anymore... I think that I would not know where to go to read and comment what everyone think about the Mika's interviews, or lyrics, or tv shows....

I have to admit that yes Twitter is very fast if you want to read the news but then? you can't comment there... at least you've only 140 characters... If you want to write more that's the exact place for doing it!

if mfc suddenly disappeared, i'd hurry to start a forum exactly like it. although i think, even if most of the same members came back, it just wouldn't be the same. mfc is mfc, i love it just like it is (maybe a new design would be nice, but i know you're working on that :teehee:), and i'd certainly miss it a LOT if it wasn't there anymore!

When Queen Online (QOL) went down and they changed to a new page, nothing was the same. Many people simply stopped going.

So this post is spot on, says what I would say, for the most part.

When Queen Online (QOL) went down and they changed to a new page, nothing was the same. Many people simply stopped going.

i guess for queen there's more than one (international) forum, so people had the choice to just go somewhere else... but still... mfc is also a bit of (mika) history. all the gig reports, interviews, etc from the beginning til now are here somewhere. it'd be such a huge loss if that was all gone! :shocked:

i guess for queen there's more than one (international) forum, so people had the choice to just go somewhere else... but still... mfc is also a bit of (mika) history. all the gig reports, interviews, etc from the beginning til now are here somewhere. it'd be such a huge loss if that was all gone! :shocked:

There may be other forums, as you say, but QOL is THE Queen forum, the one promoted on all of their merchandise, so it's not a small one, nor insignificant to fans. It hosts their shop, and all major press is passed on through there, so it's not "just another site" as some would think.

And I still agree with you re MFC...

I totally agree with you.

For me MFC is more than a forum where I can get Information about Mika and tours.....MFC is where I found many friends around the world and also some very close friends who are very important to me now. MFC is an important part of my life for seven years ( this Sunday ) which I can´t remember I wasn´t on for one day since I´m a member.

I really love this community, the meetings we had and will have, the parties. I love that so many of us know each other and help each other also in real life. MFC is Mika´s history and also our history.

So you asked what we would do without MFC, I would get very very very sad and bored and depressed.

Edited by Sabine64

I can't live without MFC :blush-anim-cl: and I can't even imagine MFC not existing :jawdrop::crybaby:

Twitter is great to share links mainly and be in touch quickly and of course get Mika's own twits. And we can always hope Mika twits us back...Goldenalbert twitted me back once , but not Mika yet ...unless Goldenalbert is Mika's back up twitter as some say. :mf_rosetinted:

Facebook is more for long pms and chats or exchanging photos or uploading albums . Mika's team is usually slower than MFC to give updates.:naughty: Mika's team is nice , they answer to fans once in a while and it's always sweet to see your fanart on one of Mika's albums on fb and their competitions are fun.

But MFC is a treasure box :wub2:, filled with everything about Mika and lots of wonderful fans, many of them having overcome the language barreer, so we can all share about him.:thumb_yello: It's a place to build life time friendships :group_hug:

It is totally devoted to Mika and there is no internet site as complete and as filled with enthousiastic people as MFC. :wub2:

Of course when times are quiet, MFC is more quiet, but there are many threads that can be explored in the meantime. :wink2:

Many fans seems not be to online because they don't post, but they still read and when Good Guys was out , I saw posts by fans I hadn't seen in a while and it made me very happy.:blush-anim-cl:

Some people grow out of Mika , which is a shame , but new songs can bring them back if they love them and some are just quiet when Mika's world is too.

There's a sense of community here, which I haven' t found anywhere else and I love MFC history and it's great that we can share reports and all sorts of experiences together. And making gifts for Mika and also yearbooks together is also one of the delights of being an MFCer. :mikalove:

I wasn't in Montreal, but through all that wonderful fans who went there shared, it felt like being right there with you and that was absolutely heart warming. No other place but MFC "home" can offer that. :group_hug:

A thing that would be a lovely improvement to MFC would be a bigger inbox and as you said a new system to fight against spam and make it more secure would be very useful. We only see the spams when the mods are not online, but I bet when they are online they get lots to remove as well. :sneaky2:

As far as making MFC more exciting, that's up to everyone who's in it right? :aah:The mods already prepare fun games with prizes for its anniversary and take care of the forum daily, so if fans want to revive the most marvellous Mika mail thread or organize some games as some did at a time (with contests and Mika prizes or just to get to know each other better -like the hot seat-), it could be lots of fun too :wink2:

By the way, maybe it's about time to open the thread about Mika's birthday present? That would keep us busy and happy , it was opened at this time last year, and I have ideas for once :teehee:

Thank you for keeping MFC alive , we love our MFC :wub2:

Edited by crazyaboutmika

Mellody, we should first save all data beforehand :thumb_yello:

I guess then we could rebuilt it just as it is :wub2:

I used to post all my poems on my.opera blogs and after three years of posting there I had made friends , and when they shut those blogs, people were scattered on google+, blogger, wordpress etc...one my.opera blog's "fathers" opened a similar site, but it's like a no man's land , a few people moved there , but they got lost and the community as well :sad:

so it has to be a perfect replica , let's start saving data today :naughty:

I totally agree with you.

For me MFC is more than a forum where I can get Information about Mika and tours.....MFC is where I found many friends around the world and also some very close friends who are very important to me now. MFC is an important part of my life for seven years ( this Sunday ) which I can´t remember I wasn´t on for one day since I´m a member.

I really love this community, the meetings we had and will have, the parties. I love that so many of us know each other and help each other also in real life. MFC is Mika´s history and also our history.

So you asked what we would do without MFC, I would get very very very sad and bored and depressed.

I totally agree with you Sabine :huglove:

Although I'm not participating in conversations that much, MFC is still a place where I come at least once a day to see what's new.

It's nice to see the same people here even if there are a lot of members that are not around anymore.

I think a lot depends on Mika and the popularity of a new album, and I hope it will be a huge success, but sadly I'm not so sure about that anymore. I don't like how they managed the promotion of TOOL and these TV shows he is participating in are bringing him a different type of fans.

Although I'm not participating in conversations that much, MFC is still a place where I come at least once a day to see what's new.

It's nice to see the same people here even if there are a lot of members that are not around anymore.

I think a lot depends on Mika and the popularity of a new album, and I hope it will be a huge success, but sadly I'm not so sure about that anymore. I don't like how they managed the promotion of TOOL and these TV shows he is participating in are bringing him a different type of fans.

Back to the basic, the radio stations need to play Mika songs and music channels need to show his videos :thumb_yello:

I would die!

Remember when MFC went down for like a week about 3 years ago or so? I never tweeted as much as i did during that week, mostly about how much i missed MFC!

If MFC went down permanently it'd be horrible. For one thing, MFC is a treasure trove on information. Also, Tumblr and twitter are just a mess. people say things and there's no control and it gets nasty. Mika's FB is nearly as bad xD Ugh, remember the forum thing they tried to start on mikasounds.com? That thing was just a shoddy imitation of MFC :naughty: Every morning when i login to the computer the first thing i do is check MFC for Mika news, it's like a one stop shop & much more reliable than any other sources.

I love the chatroom, i would live there if i could! I've met lots of nice ppl on MFC but in the chatroom is where we really connect. FB chat just isnt the same!

I would die!

Remember when MFC went down for like a week about 3 years ago or so? I never tweeted as much as i did during that week, mostly about how much i missed MFC!

If MFC went down permanently it'd be horrible. For one thing, MFC is a treasure trove on information. Also, Tumblr and twitter are just a mess. people say things and there's no control and it gets nasty. Mika's FB is nearly as bad xD Ugh, remember the forum thing they tried to start on mikasounds.com? That thing was just a shoddy imitation of MFC :naughty: Every morning when i login to the computer the first thing i do is check MFC for Mika news, it's like a one stop shop & much more reliable than any other sources.

I love the chatroom, i would live there if i could! I've met lots of nice ppl on MFC but in the chatroom is where we really connect. FB chat just isnt the same!

Not to talk about not seeing that nice signature of yours from time to time!

719.gif

Not to talk about not seeing that nice signature of yours from time to time!

719.gif

:lmfao:

Back here and thinking maybe newbies could use a sort of handbook thread on MFC , where the threads would be linked and classified to help them make their first steps. We could give that thread's link to all fans when they introduce themselves.

The FAQ are great, but it would be a thread as we already have for newbies but where they would get both help and links and tips :dunno:

Translating the FAQ in other languages would certainly be helpful for newbies as well, I can translate in French if you think that's a good idea to do it.

Those are just ideas that crossed my mind :dunno:

We already do that and we have reps too, but if some MFCers were willing to open a thread like that and be "newbies reps" , that would be a way to stimulate them to get more active :wink2:

I mean it took me two years to find my introduction thread back and thank fans who had welcomed me then :baghead:

Back here and thinking maybe newbies could use a sort of handbook thread on MFC , where the threads would be linked and classified to help them make their first steps. We could give that thread's link to all fans when they introduce themselves.

The FAQ are great, but it would be a thread as we already have for newbies but where they would get both help and links and tips :dunno:

Translating the FAQ in other languages would certainly be helpful for newbies as well, I can translate in French if you think that's a good idea to do it.

Those are just ideas that crossed my mind :dunno:

We already do that and we have reps too, but if some MFCers were willing to open a thread like that and be "newbies reps" , that would be a way to stimulate them to get more active :wink2:

I mean it took me two years to find my introduction thread back and thank fans who had welcomed me then :baghead:

I thought the FAQs had already been translated into other languages?

I would certainly miss the MFC if it wasn't here at all, but in quiet times it's sometimes hard to keep motivated enough to log in. A few years ago I would never have missed a day, but now it doesn't seem to matter so much. However, if there was only FB and Twitter to rely on for information about Mika I probably would have given up being a fan by now.

What does keep me coming back is all the friends I have made on the MFC. I'm not sure whether I could keep in touch with them via other media; here we can all talk together.

I thought the FAQs had already been translated into other languages?

The guidelines have been translated into multiple languages, but not the FAQ. Something to think about... :thumb_yello:

Not sure I'm understanding what you mean, Anne. Can you explain a bit more?

And you know, even though we encourage everyone to read the FAQ and the guidelines when they join in the welcome PM they get, I'm quite sure not everyone does. So how do we get people to read, when it's easier to just plunge right in?

The country reps ARE supposed to be a resource for newbies, so I'm not sure that we really need "newbie reps" as well. :dunno: Maybe we just need to give the country reps more prominence?

I'm sorry I can't quote properly :doh:

Well there are several sort of newbies; some know how to use a forum, others need tips. So if we give them the link of a thread with some tutorials on how to quote, multiquote, find a specific thread on MFC quickly ,upload an avatar and a siggie, that might encourage people to become more active. I know this is explained in the FAQs but only in English.

Reps welcome new comers and offer to help them which is a very good thing but if there was a specific thread where they could ask for that help (in English) then reps or MFCers willing to help could do it and reading back that thread would also be helpful for all newbies. There's a sticky thread for newbies that seems easy to find for us , but if the reps add it to their siggie if reps mention it each time they welcome someone hopefully it would be used more :dunno:

I mentioned "newbies reps" because at some point I remember some MFCers doing this for a while only it was nothing "official" then those threads stopped being active as people came and went... EDIT: It's at the begining of the newbies thread in the first post that I had read it

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14767

As you said giving a bit more prominence to reps would be a good thing :thumb_yello: At some point each country had two reps, which was useful when one of them couldn't be online, is it still the same?

MFC is quiet at the moment but with the new album, new fans will show up, and make the forum more lively I'm sure :wink2:

Edited by crazyaboutmika

I would certainly miss the MFC if it wasn't here at all, but in quiet times it's sometimes hard to keep motivated enough to log in. A few years ago I would never have missed a day, but now it doesn't seem to matter so much. However, if there was only FB and Twitter to rely on for information about Mika I probably would have given up being a fan by now.

What does keep me coming back is all the friends I have made on the MFC. I'm not sure whether I could keep in touch with them via other media; here we can all talk together.

I think you've hit the nail on the head for me silver. That and what Karin said about this place being our history. If it goes, I'll have to save one or two threads.

The country reps ARE supposed to be a resource for newbies, so I'm not sure that we really need "newbie reps" as well. :dunno: Maybe we just need to give the country reps more prominence?

How would you give the country reps more prominence?

As you said giving a bit more prominence to reps would be a good thing :thumb_yello: At some point each country had two reps, which was useful when one of them couldn't be online, is it still the same?

I know that some of the larger countries (fan numbers that is) had at least two reps, but others like Australia have only had one at a time.