Maybe it's just the album credits of my 2 TBWKTM versions (the korean magazine edition and the US cd+dvd), but has anyone else noticed that the horn players aren't credited on "Lover Boy"? I just re-watched the vlog and the horn players are definitely playing "Lover Boy" and i listened to "Lover Boy" again and there's definitely horns on it. :doh: Somebody dropped the ball on that one!

On 6/3/2015 at 4:05 PM, dcdeb said:

As far as I can tell, I think the first time I See You was performed live was in Toronto on Oct. 12, 2009, when Mika kicked off the tour to support TBWKTM.I can't find any videos of it any earlier than this one: [media]

[/media]

I just discovered when he performed "I See You" on Through The Looking Glass it was August 28, 2009. Which brings up something i've been debating with myself about: do i count TV performances towards when a song was 'first played live' or not? Thoughts, anyone?

Edited by kreacher

I just discovered when he performed "I See You" on Through The Looking Glass it was August 28, 2009. Which brings up something i've been debating with myself about: do i count TV performances towards when a song was 'first played live' or not? Thoughts, anyone?

Yes, I knew about that performance, but that was not LIVE, it wasn't in front of a real audience. They were all mannequins, if I recall correctly. :naughty:

I wouldn't count playing for a TV show as "first played live," unless it was truly in front of a live audience, but that's just my opinion.

What I've been up to:

-Only added a few new entries, but did various updating & editing on many others

-Updated all the extended info posts with quotes, more photos, and other tidbits i'd forgotten

-Added a new extended info post for all Mika's Covers: http://www.mikafanclub.com/topic/31627-mika-encyclopedia/?p=3990064

-Added some news extended info entries, especially to Mika's Friends/Other People & to Projects (which now includes some places)

-Posted one new question i need special help with: "Wikipedia says the “Love Today” single "is dedicated in loving memory of Bob Woolmer." Will someone please check their “Love Today” single to confirm this as i can’t find this anywhere on mine?"

:whew: 

Edited by kreacher
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2015 at 9:17 PM, Kumazzz said:

Done, and added an entry for Billy Joel too. Thanks :)

On 6/6/2015 at 9:13 AM, dcdeb said:

Yes, I knew about that performance, but that was not LIVE, it wasn't in front of a real audience. They were all mannequins, if I recall correctly. :naughty:

I wouldn't count playing for a TV show as "first played live," unless it was truly in front of a live audience, but that's just my opinion.

Excellent point, i forgot the audience was fake :rolls_eyes: I noted that in the extended info post.  So i guess i will count TV shows toward first live plays but only if there's a proper living, breathing audience.

Thanks everybody for reading!  :biggrin2:

On 6/10/2015 at 9:25 AM, Kumazzz said:

a song for Mika's Covers

( I know that you added the song to V ) :)

Vive Le Vent 

Noël ! Noël !! Noël !!!

wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noel!_Noel!!_Noel!!!

oh snap, can't believe i missed that one >.<  

Thanks for pointing it out!  Reminds me i ought to add Jingle Bells too

Edited by kreacher
  • Like 1

:groupwave:

So much going on Mikaland this week!!!

:Update: 

weekly update on updates:

-since i can't link individual words to other entries i started coloring stuff that has it's own entry a dark purple; this is still very much a work in progress!

-worked on adding credits & stuff to NPiH's extended info.

-preparing to add the new songs & collaborators to the encyclopedia but they aren't ready yet; next week there will be a bunch of new entries!

-updates & edits, here & there, this & that.

Edited by kreacher

L'Anamour ( Serge Gainsbourg ) : Duet with Arielle Dombasle

Du côté de chez Dave

recorded 16 April, aired 21 June

VIDEO

France

http://culturebox.francetvinfo.fr/emissions/france-3/du-cote-de-chez-dave/du-cote-de-chez-dave-du-21-juin-avec-mika-yael-naim-arielle-dombasle-221059

VK [ HD ] https://vk.com/video232312753_171290873

• Grace Kelly
  • L'Anamour ( Serge Gainsbourg ) : Duet with Arielle Dombasle
  • Boum Boum Boum
  • Talk About You

Arielle Dombasle & Mika - L'anamour (Du Côté de Chez Dave) (21 Juin 2015)

post-18723-0-96900800-1434958354_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz

weekly update:

-words that have their own entry now orange; this is still very much a work in progress

-added all the new songs & collaborators to the encyclopedia.

-added tracklists to NPIH extended posts, will working on adding more credits to each song next!

-added more quotes & photos to extended info posts

-more updates & edits to lots of stuff

L'Anamour ( Serge Gainsbourg ) : Duet with Arielle Dombasle

Got it, thank you so much for keeping track of these things & notifying me.

Edited by kreacher
  • Like 1

Talking about songs Mika has covered, don't know if you should add I Want To Break Free or not, since he only sings the first verse or so? :)

Edited by Lilasko

Talking about songs Mika has covered, don't know if you should add I Want To Break Free or not, since he only sings the first verse or so? :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWBBYbrV-mw

Thanks for bringing this up. I've been debating whether or not to add the parts of covered songs to the covers extended post. The guideline I was kind of using to decide what to add to the covers post was: songs he's done most of at least once or done parts of at least twice get added, but songs he's only done part of once just get a regular encyclopedia entry. Everyone agree?

.....but if i was going to add all the partly-covered songs to the covers post too, this would be the first i'd add because it's epic & awesome :teehee:

Edited by kreacher
  • Like 1

Thanks for bringing this up. I've been debating whether or not to add the parts of covered songs to the covers extended post. The guideline I was kind of using to decide what to add to the covers post was: songs he's done most of at least once or done parts of at least twice get added, but songs he's only done part of once just get a regular encyclopedia entry. Everyone agree?

.....but if i was going to add all the partly-covered songs to the covers post too, this would be the first i'd add because it's epic & awesome :teehee:

That makes sense, I absolutely agree! :thumb_yello:

I love the cover though  :naughty:

WEEKLY UPDATES!

*moved quotes Mika said about stuff without extended info here to save space

*continued with the "oranging", i'm up to S now!

*added all the credits to the new NPIH songs

*put a little table of contents at the beginning of each extended info post

*added a few new entries

*bunches of other tweaks no one else will probably notice

what's to come next update: latest list of entries to add, downsizing the text, continuing with the oranging, more more more!

:woot_jump:

As usual please post if you find something i need to add or find something wrong! :yes:

Edited by kreacher
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe it's just the album credits of my 2 TBWKTM versions (the korean magazine edition and the US cd+dvd), but has anyone else noticed that the horn players aren't credited on "Lover Boy"? I just re-watched the vlog and the horn players are definitely playing "Lover Boy" and i listened to "Lover Boy" again and there's definitely horns on it. :doh: Somebody dropped the ball on that one!

I can't find any credits for the horn players on Lover Boy either, but I'm sure that they are the same musicians who play on Dr. John on the album: Gary Grant, Jerry Hey, Dan Higgins and Bill Reichenbach. Mika even refers to Jerry Hey in the one vlog in which he sort of previews the "making of" Lover Boy. I can't find the video online now, sorry, but I have it here and just rewatched it :)

-Posted one new question i need special help with: "Wikipedia says the “Love Today” single "is dedicated in loving memory of Bob Woolmer." Will someone please check their “Love Today” single to confirm this as i can’t find this anywhere on mine?"

:whew: 

Dee, I have never, ever heard this before. :no: Maybe it's one of those random things some jokester has added to Wikipedia. I would think that this would have been talked about back in 2007, if it were true. Unless Mika secretly dedicated it to this cricket coach who died a mysterious death years ago, and finally decided to make it public himself... But I highly doubt it. Still, I've checked all the versions of Love Today that I own and I see no reference to Bob Woolmer anywhere. :dunno: 

WEEKLY UPDATES:

JULY 7
no time for colorful shenanigans this week!

done this week: finished oranging, split band and collaborators into two posts, proofread entries, added new entries, resized text, added photos, added video links to some extended info entries

up next: nothing in particular, just more adding & editing unless i think something big or people give me ideas

*bustles about*
-----------------------------------------------------

JULY 14
done this week: made the encyclopedia & the extended posts into shareable documents, just a few new entries, gave extended info entries to a few more people/places/things, edited more throughout
-----------------------------------------------------

JULY 21
done this week: tested & put info into spoilers since the posts were getting soooo long, added chart info for NPIH, added several new extended info entries, split the Friends/Influences/Others extended info post into two, added a few new regular entries, edited all over & added photos

up next: stuff & things

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 7/26/2015 at 4:24 PM, dcdeb said:

I can't find any credits for the horn players on Lover Boy either, but I'm sure that they are the same musicians who play on Dr. John on the album: Gary Grant, Jerry Hey, Dan Higgins and Bill Reichenbach. Mika even refers to Jerry Hey in the one vlog in which he sort of previews the "making of" Lover Boy. I can't find the video online now, sorry, but I have it here and just rewatched it :)

Dee, I have never, ever heard this before. :no:Maybe it's one of those random things some jokester has added to Wikipedia. I would think that this would have been talked about back in 2007, if it were true. Unless Mika secretly dedicated it to this cricket coach who died a mysterious death years ago, and finally decided to make it public himself... But I highly doubt it. Still, I've checked all the versions of Love Today that I own and I see no reference to Bob Woolmer anywhere. :dunno:

it's okay you can't find the vlog, it's the one i meant in my question. I didn't want to assume it was all of them since in the vlog i only saw a couple of the horn players (...i think, maybe it was because i only recognized a couple? it's been a long time since i watched that vlog & asked that question :teehee:) but i had added the info about Loverboy to all their entries anyway.

i figured it was a (stupid) joke too, thanks for your opinion & for double checking.

Edited by kreacher

Dee, I have never, ever heard this before. :no: Maybe it's one of those random things some jokester has added to Wikipedia. I would think that this would have been talked about back in 2007, if it were true. Unless Mika secretly dedicated it to this cricket coach who died a mysterious death years ago, and finally decided to make it public himself... But I highly doubt it. Still, I've checked all the versions of Love Today that I own and I see no reference to Bob Woolmer anywhere. :dunno:

Besides, if he were going to dedicate it to someone wouldn't it be more likely to be the real Carolina? Since she inspired him?

Thom Sweeney https://www.thomsweeney.co.uk/

INTERVIEW

http://www.kaltblut-magazine.com/mika-new-single-the-interview/

Mika said

Actually three years ago, I walked in a suit tailoring place in London called Thom Sweeney and I ordered ten suits.

Esquire : Meet the tailor - Thom Sweeney

http://www.esquire.co.uk/style/fashion/2709/meet-the-tailor-thom-sweeney/

That said if a client wants very structured shoulders, or to radically change the house silhouette, it can be done – when Thom Sweeney made stage clothes for Mika they went far beyond Savile Row norms.

Thom Sweeney https://www.thomsweeney.co.uk/

INTERVIEW

http://www.kaltblut-magazine.com/mika-new-single-the-interview/

Mika said

Actually three years ago, I walked in a suit tailoring place in London called Thom Sweeney and I ordered ten suits.

Esquire : Meet the tailor - Thom Sweeney

http://www.esquire.co.uk/style/fashion/2709/meet-the-tailor-thom-sweeney/

That said if a client wants very structured shoulders, or to radically change the house silhouette, it can be done – when Thom Sweeney made stage clothes for Mika they went far beyond Savile Row norms.

hmm curious, thanks! i wonder which suits they were

• Like 1

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_eoohrbx065cg

DONE IN THE PAST TWO WEEKS: added some new entries, added more quotes (especially about the NPIH songs) and photos, fixed typos & stuff, made a master table of contents

UP NEXT: already working on some new extended entries, still tweaking the master table of contents

i also added some to the INFO I NEED post. Does anyone know of any good quotes Mika said about the Dodgy Holiday EP, "Tah Dah", “Your Sympathy”, "Pick Up Off The Floor", "Ring Ring", "Stuck In The Middle", “Ma Jeunesse”, “Blame It On The Weather”, “Hia Leah”, the city of Milan, Nina Simone, David Bowie, Ida Falk-Winland, or Paul de Leeuw (and/or quotes these people said about Mika)?

:bow:

Edited by kreacher

Mika said about Bowie in 2013 at Tokyo.

#40 icon_share.png toshiko

"With no doubt, David Bowie is one of the most distinguished Pop artists."

#43 icon_share.png toshiko "Have you met David Byrne or David Bowie?

MIKA: No, I don’t want to meet them. The people who create amazing things are not necessarily interesting in many case, or not as interesting as I expected. Harry Nilsson was a fool with an alcoholic problem during he was alive, wasn’t he? So, when someone says, “I love your music,” I leave the place saying, “Oh, Thank you….” because I don’t want to disappoint him/her. At the events or awards even if I meet other artists, I don’t want to use my energy talking crap."

• Like 1

TETU 2015 interview ( translation in English )

#491  crazyaboutmika

Têtu: We particularly noticed and paid attention to the lyrics of your song Good Guys. That is your tribute to gay heroes, isn't it? 

Mika: Exactly! It's a tribute to my childhood heroes. When it was time to start this record, I made a promise to myself, which was to be as daring as those enfants terribles. I told myself:" go and find those artists again, where are they in your life today? " Later, I realised that most of my heroes were gay...or honorary gay men.
[Laughter]  Men like Rimbeau, David Bowie or James Dean. All right, as far as he's concerned, there's still a debate....men who were free spirits. For some it had to terrible consequences. In the song I quote this sentence by Oscar Wilde: "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking up at the stars." He wrote it at a time he was in jail because of his sexuality.
Edited by Kumazzz

Mika said about Bowie in 2013 at Tokyo.

#40 icon_share.png toshiko

"With no doubt, David Bowie is one of the most distinguished Pop artists."

#43 icon_share.png toshiko "Have you met David Byrne or David Bowie?

MIKA: No, I don’t want to meet them. The people who create amazing things are not necessarily interesting in many case, or not as interesting as I expected. Harry Nilsson was a fool with an alcoholic problem during he was alive, wasn’t he? So, when someone says, “I love your music,” I leave the place saying, “Oh, Thank you….” because I don’t want to disappoint him/her. At the events or awards even if I meet other artists, I don’t want to use my energy talking crap."

Thanks!  So a fan asked this or what?

TETU 2015 interview ( translation in English )

#491  crazyaboutmika

Têtu: We particularly noticed and paid attention to the lyrics of your song Good Guys. That is your tribute to gay heroes, isn't it? 

Mika: Exactly! It's a tribute to my childhood heroes. When it was time to start this record, I made a promise to myself, which was to be as daring as those enfants terribles. I told myself:" go and find those artists again, where are they in your life today? " Later, I realised that most of my heroes were gay...or honorary gay men.
[Laughter]  Men like Rimbeau, David Bowie or James Dean. All right, as far as he's concerned, there's still a debate....men who were free spirits. For some it had to terrible consequences. In the song I quote this sentence by Oscar Wilde: "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking up at the stars." He wrote it at a time he was in jail because of his sexuality.

I saw this, but was hoping for a more specific quote tho.  Thanks for looking :D

• Like 1