Album News: "No Place In Heaven" to be Released 15/16 June 2015!

dcdeb

More peobably because they had to stick to one CD and 20 songs can't fit

They certainly can put more than 20 songs on a disc. I have CD's in my collection with a running time of 86 minutes so (but that will be probably the longest running time of a single disc though...) 

I agree, I was looking forward to Overrated the most, and Heroes second since I heard a snippet from Como and it left me in tears... I don't understand it :tears:

Yes I noticed that too! The description says it will have 20 tracks from the OSM concert... What is that based on, then?

I know! Why would they say it's 20 tracks and only list 14..? Where are the other 6? I don't get it. :huh:

From Machine Management:

Mika’s critically acclaimed album ‘No Place In Heaven’ is to be re-released on the 13th November.

The record, described by Pop Matters as ‘his most assured and confident set of tunes since his debut’, is to include the addition of tracks from the Symphonic concerts in Montreal in February as well as the new track ‘Feels Like Love’ and a reworked version of ‘Hurts’. For the Italian version it will also feature the incredibly successful Fedez on the track ‘Beautiful Disaster’ and the equally accomplished Franco Battiato on ‘Centre of Gravity’.

Having been mixed by world-renowned mix engineer Frank Filipetti, the album will be released as a stand alone album in Canada, Japan and Korea and as part of the ‘No Place In Heaven Special Edition’ re-pack, which is to be released globally on the 13th November.

Is it possible to pre order ?

I know! Why would they say it's 20 tracks and only list 14..? Where are the other 6? I don't get it. :huh:

he never said it would be 20 songs, he said he would release 12 songs of OSM and now we have 14. Maybe they weren´t confident with the other six songs.

he never said it would be 20 songs, he said he would release 12 songs of OSM and now we have 14. Maybe they weren´t confident with the other six songs.

Almost every webshop selling it has in it's description saying the repack includes a live-album with 20 titles. That's why most people on here are talking about 20 songs, I don't remember Mika saying any number about the live-album. :)

Almost every webshop selling it has in it's description saying the repack includes a live-album with 20 titles. That's why most people on here are talking about 20 songs, I don't remember Mika saying any number about the live-album. :)

The only time I remember him talking about it he had said 11...

• Like 1

I would love an album with symphonic versions of Happy Ending, Any Other World, Over My Shoulder, Make You Happy and Overrated but I guess it is not going to happen. They only released 4 videos of the points gig even though they recorded the whole thing so I am not really surprised.

And as for this new version of NPIH with 50 random French songs, Italian rap etc. WTF?? :aah:

If Mika wants to do a French album and a French tour by all means do so. But why does everything else have to be polluted with these songs that he claims have been written in 15 minutes, written with one collaborator who never works on his other music, has themes and a sound that do not match the theme and sound of the album, often appear to be total afterthoughts since he seems to pull one or two out of nowhere every few months.

"French is a part of Mika"...yeah yeah yeah. But why must it be some totally incongruous part of music projects where they don't fit? Part of the reason LICM and TBWKTM were great records is that they were a cohesive project.

It is like the symphonic songs. Many of them are beautiful but it would be extremely odd to just slot one into a pop album as a regular track or suddenly start performing one of them in the middle of a festival. They require their own album and their own special performances.

He is making it virtually impossible for his fans who do not want to jump on this world music bandwagon to enjoy any of his music. You can't expect people to buy an album that is half full of songs they will never listen to.

I don't mind a French song or two at a gig. I don't mind a French song on the English album. I am super flexible like that. But I am not impressed that he left out some of the best English songs in favour of these French songs that barely anybody is interested in outside of France. That is not clever marketing.

• Like 1

I don't mind a French song or two at a gig. I don't mind a French song on the English album. I am super flexible like that. But I am not impressed that he left out some of the best English songs in favour of these French songs that barely anybody is interested in outside of France. That is not clever marketing.

Are the majority of French fans really more interested in all these French songs than the English ones? It is not just the UK where his album sales have fallen since LICM and TBWKTM. And you can't blame lack of promo in France since he's been on prime time TV more in the past 2 years than in the entire rest of his career put together.

• Like 1

- symphonic cd: Overrated is out, Drunk is out, Heroes is out. I know a whole gig can't fit on one cd, but the solution was a double cd. We'll get half a symphonic gig and a NPIH repackaging instead. We only can hope Sky will broadcast Como without any cut, so that we will be able to save it as a mp3. I really don't get what's Mika/label's interest in forcing people to buy a repackaging, I swear, instead of a nice special symphonic full edition alone. 

-repackaging: ten days ago he said: "I didn’t put Promiseland on the definitive album and I made a huge, stupid mistake. And I’m singing it during the live shows for a bit to compensate, to make up for this mistake, but at the same time I don’t like to hear I made a mistake. So shut up! That’s enough!" So I didn't really expect to see good songs like Promiseland and Rio being shunned to make room for a bunch of dull and boring french songs. I do love some catchy ones, EMD, BBB, J'ai pas envie even, but the others are just on my "geez, I have to skip this one again" list. And I do like French, I live in a bilingual region, I can get to France faster than in Milan. But some of them are really too much to bear. I was chatting to someone today on Twitter, and they told me that some of those songs sounds like a french song from the 50ies and that lyrics are part of their appeal. Well, I do understand French and I still think they are bad, I only can imagine how the rest of the world would (not) like them. 
This repackaging seems only targeting the French speaking world, so I don't think it's fair to match it with the (half) symphonic cd. It's like "do you want the special symphonic stuff? Good, also buy the french monotous tune and suck it up". 
It's a dangerous road to go, as people could simply download it illegally from the internet and say bye. You can't stretch it too far.... some day it won't work anymore. 

PS it just occured to me that maybe the dull french songs could appeal to a symphonic music listener? I usually think that symphonic and classical music is boring too, so maybe that's it. Are they trying to twist NPIH a bit to match a symphonic taste, instead of leaving it alone and do a double OMS cd? :dunno:

Anyway, I'm really lost, I don't understand what the intention is. Mika always says on XF that an artist should convey a clear intention but I'm not sure what he is conveing with this project. :unsure:

• Like 1

Are the majority of French fans really more interested in all these French songs than the English ones? It is not just the UK where his album sales have fallen since LICM and TBWKTM. And you can't blame lack of promo in France since he's been on prime time TV more in the past 2 years than in the entire rest of his career put together.

I agree. And even if they were very into it, France has 66 millions inhabitants, VS 7 billions worldwide.... 

It's like he gave up on the big deal and focused on running the little neighbour shop. 

Which is ok, but I just like to figure out what's happening, I like to discuss things. 

I'm not interested in career myself, so I really get it. 

Sometimes I think he should do a statement, like "bye, I've decided to focus on France and a little bit on Italy, adieux". But he's actually doing it through his choices. We don't need a statement, we just need to look at his work

Edited by Elwendin

I don't know. I am not French and I don't keep an eye on how well he does in France either. I just know that I am not too fond of it all.

• Like 1

I agree. And even if they were very into it, France has 66 millions inhabitants, VS 7 billions worldwide....

The French music market and its ability to influence other regions like Quebec, Belgium, Switzerland, etc. is pretty substantial so under the circumstances (ie loss of support in other markets) I can understand a focus on France. But I just haven't seen much evidence since EMD was a hit in 2011 that pushing French songs is working. I don't think people want French songs per se but good pop. EMD was good pop but any random song is not going to appeal just because of the language.

Edited by Christine

We only can hope Sky will broadcast Como without any cut, so that we will be able to save it as a mp3.

That would be great but I think the whole impetus for this concert was for Mika to make an advert for the album and for Sky to showcase its TV star so I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Like 1

I also don't get the choices. French or not, whatever, i like j'ai pas envie, so i'm happy it's on the album, and that baisers song is ok. But i never liked staring at the sun, and even less the french version. I accepted l'amour as the last song on the deluxe album, as it was easy to skip. But shoving it in my face as the 3rd song on the re-release, and instead leaving out promiseland and rio does indeed annoy me.

What about this center of gravity song, that was circulating on twitter today - wasn't it supposed to be on the album too? Or just on the italian version? I still hope for a version of the album that i want to listen to, instead of just buying it for the osm songs and the new songs. Well, i *will* buy one version in any case - but i agree that this isn't ideal to keep people from just illegally downloading the songs. :doh:

Sylvie, where did mika say this about promiseland? I don't follow the italian press much atm, as most seems to be abot xf anyway. :fisch:

For the new NPIH relase, there should have been at least two versions: one for the French speaking market and an other international one without  the French songs because three new English songs would have been enough (I would have bought the international one  :wink2:). Or maybe even a third version :doh: for Italy with the duos with Fedez and Battiato. 

I am also very disappointed about Heroes not being on the symphonic CD. Almost everyone here agrees about it and it is difficult to understand why it was left out. I do also like a lot the Make you happy symphonic version. It is one of the OOL songs I didn't like in the beginnig, but learned to love later.

Edited by Menthe
  • Like 1

I guess we all expected a stand alone album of the symphonic gig after his tweet earlier this year. But if you look at the evolution of the music market in the last 5 years, re-issue have become, unfortunately, a very common thing. In November there will be a lot of re-issue with an extra disc or a tour DVD (Take That is re-releasing their "III" with a tour DVD and a few new songs, Olly Murs is doing the same,...), Mika has his repack.... I guess in that way the charts don't take it as a complete new CD and therefore it's easier to re-enter the charts with the same album and gain a bit of easy promotion. Most of the fans buy whatever their idol releases anyway, even if that means they'll get the same CD maybe 6 times. 

• Like 1

I guess we all expected a stand alone album of the symphonic gig after his tweet earlier this year. But if you look at the evolution of the music market in the last 5 years, re-issue have become, unfortunately, a very common thing. In November there will be a lot of re-issue with an extra disc or a tour DVD (Take That is re-releasing their "III" with a tour DVD and a few new songs, Olly Murs is doing the same,...), Mika has his repack.... I guess in that way the charts don't take it as a complete new CD and therefore it's easier to re-enter the charts with the same album and gain a bit of easy promotion. Most of the fans buy whatever their idol releases anyway, even if that means they'll get the same CD maybe 6 times. 

The problem here is, that this version won't sell in the UK.

A re packaged album, with the complete OSM concert and the deluxe version that was released here before, with maybe Center Of Gravity and Feels Like Love added on it, would have maybe got some attention here. But not this version with all the French songs and Beautiful Disaster (although he might get away with that, as he sings in English on it).

The problem here is, that this version won't sell in the UK.

A re packaged album, with the complete OSM concert and the deluxe version that was released here before, with maybe Center Of Gravity and Feels Like Love added on it, would have maybe got some attention here. But not this version with all the French songs and Beautiful Disaster (although he might get away with that, as he sings in English on it).

It's actually funny 'cause I live in Belgium (and you may know or you don't, but we have a Dutch speaking part and a French speaking part and language is still a big issue here...). Funny thing is, as a Dutch speaking person who isn't really in love with the French language I only wanted to buy the French deluxe version 'cause of the extra songs, which I wanted 'cause my idol made them and so they're part of his repertoire. Problem was, that version was only released in the French speaking part of our very little country and actually very hard to get hands on in the Dutch speaking part. 

I think an artist has the freedom to create stuff he likes and loves and doesn't have to think about what might sell and what might not sell. It's okay to no be in love with some songs, and you don't have to understand all of the songs you listen to. So, then again, I don't think fans (or well, some of them, but I'm sure not all of them) will let this album left aside 'cause it's a re-issue or it includes French songs or whatever. I think most fans will buy the album because of the second disc anyway. And let's face it, the price would have been the same either way. Now you only get a few extra songs you didn't have before. You can perfectly skip those few French tracks (which are actually quite okay by the way). 

• Like 1

I think froy have the good idea. I'M french (OK you have anderstood because of m'y english) and i love all the songs of Mika ! French songs or english... if he ma de spanish or italian song you don't want them? I don't understand this point of view ....It's an artistical choix of an artiste i love so i respect It

Have fun! We have New songs!and symphonic version

Edited by rachel
  • Like 2

if he made italian song you don't want them?

Indeed. I don't want them, whenever he sings OOL or Stardust in Italian I stop singing in disappointement. When I had a seated place, I sat down and checked facebook on my phone. 

I think froy have the good idea. I'M french (OK you have anderstood because of m'y english) and i love all the songs of Mika ! French songs or english... if he ma de spanish or italian song you don't want them? I don't understand this point of view ....It's an artistical choix of an artiste i love so i respect It

Have fun! We have New songs!and symphonic version

Despite what I've just said (there's personal hatred between italian lyrics and me), it's not about lyrics being in some language or another. Well, maybe it also is, actually, cause you can learn or appreciate one or two songs in an unknow language, but you just can't take too much of them, unless you love the language and want to learn it. I have zero interest in spanish, so I can't be bothered to listen to a whole bunch of spanish songs.... or korean, or german or whatever. 

I'm lucky enough to know English, French and Italian, so I understand all his songs, but if he massively switched to Russian, I'd just end up moving on, bye man. 

Language aside, it's also about the songs being good or being bad. 

French good pop song = ok (EMD for instance)

French dull song = no 

Yesterday a French native speaker told me that some of those songs sound like an old french song from the 50ies, and she meant it in a good way. 

But you can't expect people from all over the world to like some super old boring french song. Just like I don't expect most people worldwide to love Center of Gravity: the italians will, the others, not much. Some songs spring from a cultural background, therefore they can do very well in that very country, but they will fail on a world level. 

• Like 2

Indeed. I don't want them, whenever he sings OOL or Stardust in Italian I stop singing in disappointement. When I had a seated place, I sat down and checked facebook on my phone. 

Despite what I've just said (there's personal hatred between italian lyrics and me), it's not about lyrics being in some language or another. Well, maybe it also is, actually, cause you can learn or appreciate one or two songs in an unknow language, but you just can't take too much of them, unless you love the language and want to learn it. I have zero interest in spanish, so I can't be bothered to listen to a whole bunch of spanish songs.... or korean, or german or whatever. 

I'm lucky enough to know English, French and Italian, so I understand all his songs, but if he massively switched to Russian, I'd just end up moving on, bye man. 

Language aside, it's also about the songs being good or being bad. 

French good pop song = ok (EMD for instance)

French dull song = no 

Yesterday a French native speaker told me that some of those songs sound like an old french song from the 50ies, and she meant it in a good way. 

But you can't expect people from all over the world to like some super old boring french song. Just like I don't expect most people worldwide to love Center of Gravity: the italians will, the others, not much. Some songs spring from a cultural background, therefore they can do very well in that very country, but they will fail on a world level. 

I actually love the Stardust version with Chiara, and I've been looking for a studio recording of Lollipop with the Italian intro sung by Mika. And I don't speak a word Italian. I think it just sounds very nice and I totally love it. 

It's true when you say you'd probably wouldn't listen to a complete album in a foreign language, but that isn't the case by Mika. It's just a few songs and as longs it's a few songs I'm totally okay with it. 

I think the whole point about the repackage is, most of the countries hadn't the chance to buy the albums with the French songs, but putting them on the repackage those countries don't only get 3 or 4 new songs, they also get 3 or 4 songs added to their collection they hadn't had the chance to add them to their collection earlier. But in my opinion the most important part of this repackage is the symphonic CD. You don't like those French songs? Good, there's still like 12 English songs and a complete symphonic album, so just skip them. (You don't have to agree with everything your idol does, there are a few songs I don't really like on TOOL for example, but I have the choice to just skip those tracks when I listen to that album.)

• Like 2