Last Party: Short Film by Peter Lindbergh

dcdeb

:yeah: He didn't step away from his comfort zone, I guess :teehee:

But he had Mika dump suits and fashion and make up for a while, which is good enough for me to support this guy's choices. He went like"ok, I'm doing this video for you, but you need to drop that ****. Do we have a deal?"

I like the outcome they got.

But the thing is, if you tell people you just released a short movie, people guess what? Expect a short movie.

Then they get a kind of selfie, which is good and intense, but they still get disappointed cause they went for a story.

When I watched Hozier's video of Take me to church, I expected him singing but I got a quite emotional, involving and upsetting story, so I was like woah.

When I watched Mika's video I held my breath but I ended up with almost nothing. Luckly there were some intense emotions as well, so they kind of saved the day, but still....

For me it´s quite different than for you. For me his perfomance and the lyrics are the Story and it´s totally enough for me that way. I´m so moved I can´t tell you. I didn´t like the short films for TOOL so I´m absolutely happy with what we got today.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it´s quite different than for you. For me his perfomance and the lyrics are the Story and it´s totally enough for me that way. I´m so moved I can´t tell you. I didn´t like the short films for TOOL so I´m absolutely happy with what we got today.

Exactly, the words and the music ARE the story... Nothing else is needed!

Although I also loved the TOOL movies, especially Make You Happy

I didn´t like the short films for TOOL

Me neither.

The words and the music ARE the story... Nothing else is needed!

My bad, I should have said movie, but I was trying to avoid to repeat it for the zillion time :biggrin2:

So, it would be:

But the thing is, if you tell people you just released a short movie, people guess what? Expect a short movie.

Then they get a kind of selfie, which is good and intense, but they still get disappointed cause they went for a film.

Words and music are not a film.

I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just saying that this is not a movie. Hence to claim it's a short movie it's kind of weird.

Edited by Elwendin

Here is a download for the video: https://www.sendspace.com/file/q1hvb7

(Sometimes the site chooses automatically the option "download with sendspace accelerator and get recommended offers", if that's the case remove the hook before downloading)

Thank you so much :huglove::flowers2:

I'm away with phone and not enough room in it but my daughter was able to download it for me and I hope I'll be able to transfer it to my netbook which I took with me. I'm dying to see it!

My bad, I should have said movie, but I was trying to avoid to repeat it for the zillion time :biggrin2:

So, it would be:

Words and music are not a film.

I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just saying that this is not a movie. Hence to claim it's a short movie it's kind of weird.

How do you call this type of movie:naughty:?

Me too, I aspected something different as a movie, when I saw it I was surprised, but I love it!

It's what I've always classed as a music video. I don't know why Mika keeps referring to these offshoots as short films. It may not be for an official single release, but it is a music video nonetheless.

Oh I so love this video.

He has always looked geeky, uncomfortable and overly tall in any video that he's appeared in.

In this he looks, intense, intelligent, sexy, vulnerable and relevant to the current music world.

This could be a turning point.

The song has the simplicity and crescendo of Happy Ending without the video featuring a pink jacket, childish bedroom and a granny perm! All of which made him look like a geek.

I've got everything crossed that this gets out there and is seen by the masses.

Did I mention that I love it?!!! :wub2::wub2::wub2:

Edited by vixenbbw

I love this video/film/movie/whatever you want to call it. :wub2:

I'm not going to quibble over the terminology. Maybe they called it a film vs a video, because that gives it a little more weight, makes it seem a little more important than a promotional video. :dunno: Yes, I did originally expect something more along the lines of the Origin of Love video, but after seeing this, I'm not at all disappointed. I love this for so many reasons. For the stripped down look, as you say, Sylvie, and the dramatic, atmospheric feeling that black & white lends to the whole thing. But most of all because it's just Mika, not hiding behind any other characters or props, not pretending to be anything other than himself. He's not awkward in any way, not mugging for the camera. He just seems very natural, very sincere and genuine. I'm not saying that he's not aware of how affecting and moving this performance is. I'm sure he is. But he looks directly into the camera as if he's looking directly at a single person in the audience -- you, the viewer. As if you and he are the only ones there in that moment. And he totally sells the song. At least, it totally works for me. Call me a :fangurl: but I think it's fantastic.

Simple but wonderfully powerful ! As some of you said it , this song doesn't need a story telling video clip. This video features Mika as a mirror reflecting the emotion and the sadness of the music and the lyrics. It is very powerful !

Words can't describe how much I love everything about this song.

Simply beautiful. I was sobbing by the end of the video. His voice is powerful yet he seems almost vulnerable. The cinementagraphy is absolutely haunting and beautiful. Bravo Mika!

I think this little film/video is totally enough. So happy watching it. I loved the short films for TOOL and been hoping to see more, but this time I was a bit worried to click the link, thinking the possibility it doesn't fit the song.

I didn't know what to expect but Last Party is such a powerful song and already an important song for me and I wanted the film feel right. I couldn't define what is "right", just wanted to have that feeling. And then I saw the film and it's just perfect for the song :wub2:

I think he has done some of the best things of his career lately. First Montreal concerts and now this song and the film for it :wub2:

I think this little film/video is totally enough. So happy watching it. I loved the short films for TOOL and been hoping to see more, but this time I was a bit worried to click the link, thinking the possibility it doesn't fit the song.

I didn't know what to expect but Last Party is such a powerful song and already an important song for me and I wanted the film feel right. I couldn't define what is "right", just wanted to have that feeling. And then I saw the film and it's just perfect for the song :wub2:

I think he has done some of the best things of his career lately. First Montreal concerts and now this song and the film for it :wub2:

I agree with you Tiibet! Did you go to Montréal?

I love this video/film/movie/whatever you want to call it. :wub2:

I'm not going to quibble over the terminology. Maybe they called it a film vs a video, because that gives it a little more weight, makes it seem a little more important than a promotional video. :dunno: Yes, I did originally expect something more along the lines of the Origin of Love video, but after seeing this, I'm not at all disappointed. I love this for so many reasons. For the stripped down look, as you say, Sylvie, and the dramatic, atmospheric feeling that black & white lends to the whole thing. But most of all because it's just Mika, not hiding behind any other characters or props, not pretending to be anything other than himself. He's not awkward in any way, not mugging for the camera. He just seems very natural, very sincere and genuine. I'm not saying that he's not aware of how affecting and moving this performance is. I'm sure he is. But he looks directly into the camera as if he's looking directly at a single person in the audience -- you, the viewer. As if you and he are the only ones there in that moment. And he totally sells the song. At least, it totally works for me. Call me a :fangurl: but I think it's fantastic.

I agree with everything, well said. Personally, I'm glad it's not a real short film because I don't like short films. I said it in the Last Party song discussion thread, but I think this video is so intense. He has that look in his eyes, it's strong, but vulnerable. Genuine, like you said. At the line "Wrap your arms around everybody", when he reaches out to the camera, to me as a viewer, it makes me feel like he could hug me. It feels so personal.

On another note, I hope they will upload it to youtube, I think that would make it accessible to more people.

Simple but wonderfully powerful ! As some of you said it , this song doesn't need a story telling video clip. This video features Mika as a mirror reflecting the emotion and the sadness of the music and the lyrics. It is very powerful !

Yes I agree. Before I saw the video, I expected something with a party scene, but this was way better. It's really intense.

It's probably my fault, when I read "short movie" I expected a movie which happens to be short, not a singing pic.

Which was good, I like his performance there, but I wouldn't call it a short movie.....

Agreed, :wink2: I don't get why they call it a film either, and don't see the point. But hey!

This is the best video he has ever done. Simple stripped back to the barebones visually, yet in b/w it gives so much depth to the lyrics of the song.

I completely agree! For years I've been saying that I wished he stuck to doing things simply, as he doesn't need any of the gimmicks that he so often uses and that only detract from his voice and music, so this for me is the perfect 'video'. I love it.

It is really beautiful. Singing straight to camera, Mika has nowhere to hide. He was brave to do this, and it's really paid off. His performance of the song is wonderful and I love how the music builds towards the end of the song.

I agree, this is a really mature Mika. Let's hope everyone who sees the video, loves it like we do.

Yes, I particularly like the crescendo as well.

Oh I so love this video.

He has always looked geeky, uncomfortable and overly tall in any video that he's appeared in.

In this he looks, intense, intelligent, sexy, vulnerable and relevant to the current music world.

This could be a turning point.

The song has the simplicity and crescendo of Happy Ending without the video featuring a pink jacket, childish bedroom and a granny perm! All of which made him look like a geek.

Exactly! And I sure hope so re the turning point. I am hoping that he might have finally seen that sometimes less is more, and that he will do more simple things without hiding behind all the props all the time.

I love this for so many reasons. For the stripped down look, as you say, Sylvie, and the dramatic, atmospheric feeling that black & white lends to the whole thing. But most of all because it's just Mika, not hiding behind any other characters or props, not pretending to be anything other than himself. He's not awkward in any way, not mugging for the camera. He just seems very natural, very sincere and genuine. I'm not saying that he's not aware of how affecting and moving this performance is. I'm sure he is. But he looks directly into the camera as if he's looking directly at a single person in the audience -- you, the viewer. As if you and he are the only ones there in that moment. And he totally sells the song. At least, it totally works for me. Call me a :fangurl: but I think it's fantastic.

I totally agree with every word you wrote there! I just love it for the same reasons.

And, once again, I feel the same

I really can't believe that I am liking this song so much, because I must be honest: after his latest offerings and all the TV shows, I had completely lost faith that he could deliver something again that I would like, and he has done it.

AND it's made me want to come to MFC and post again after years, so it must be a huge effect that this song has had :lmfao:

It's still early days because of course we haven't seen the full album, but what I am hearing now (the two songs) I am really liking, so I hope that the album will make me feel the Mika luurve again :teehee:

I don't understand why he wastes (imo) so much time doing silly things, when he has all this in him and he could be putting his time to so much better use! But I guess that he has his own priorities and that is just the way it is...:wink2:

I agree with everything, well said. Personally, I'm glad it's not a real short film because I don't like short films. I said it in the Last Party song discussion thread, but I think this video is so intense. He has that look in his eyes, it's strong, but vulnerable. Genuine, like you said. At the line "Wrap your arms around everybody", when he reaches out to the camera, to me as a viewer, it makes me feel like he could hug me. It feels so personal.

On another note, I hope they will upload it to youtube, I think that would make it accessible to more people.

"Wrap your arms around everybody", when he reaches out to the camera, to me as a viewer, it makes me feel like he could hug me. It feels so personal.

I feel the same! It is a beautiful mood, like it was singing just for me...

On another note, I hope they will upload it to youtube, I think that would make it accessible to more people

I hope so, also for downloading the video ;)

I heard this as a tiny clip on iTunes and was kinda sad. It was just a bunch of words that rhyme all strung together.

NOW.... I've heard the whole song and what a difference!!! I now love this song!:thumb_yello:

The video too being just M. It's look at me... I can sing! I'm not just a tv celebrity who comments on others' singing. He looks vulnerable but I like that. The black and white makes it edgy too. I do miss the 'candy pop' but he like us all, has grown up and moved on. I'm liking the new MIKA vids if this is one of many.

The song to me has the same vibe as 'Kids' but is more of an ear worm as it stays with you.

I'm now inspired to buy the Album where as I was going to buy it as I'm a fan of MIKA and be rude not too.

All I need is a few UK dates and I will be an Extra Happy Bunny this Easter.

Ps. My advice to myself.... is not to listen to the teaser clips anymore haha!

Edited by daisylou

Yes I agree. Before I saw the video, I expected something with a party scene, but this was way better. It's really intense.

Well after the first listen I understood what the song was talking about. But to be honest I didn't imagine a party at all , at least not the kind of parties we're all used to :mf_rosetinted::naughty: I wondered how on eart was he going to make a clip out of such a powerful song...I liked the result.

I really can't believe that I am liking this song so much, because I must be honest: after his latest offerings and all the TV shows, I had completely lost faith that he could deliver something again that I would like, and he has done it.

AND it's made me want to come to MFC and post again after years, so it must be a huge effect that this song has had :lmfao:

It's still early days because of course we haven't seen the full album, but what I am hearing now (the two songs) I am really liking, so I hope that the album will make me feel the Mika luurve again :teehee:

I don't understand why he wastes (imo) so much time doing silly things, when he has all this in him and he could be putting his time to so much better use! But I guess that he has his own priorities and that is just the way it is...:wink2:

Glad you're back Sari :huglove:

Perhaps these "silly things" M. Is doing are meant to stimulate his inspiration.

Personnaly BBB put aside I've been loving everyting he's been doing musically. Although some of the oldest fans didn't like TOOL album , I found that it contained some of his best songs ! It was just badly promoted.

I heard this as a tiny clip on iTunes and was kinda sad. It was just a bunch of words that rhyme all strung together.

NOW.... I've heard the whole song and what a difference!!! I now love this song!:thumb_yello:

The video too being just M. It's look at me... I can sing! I'm not just a tv celebrity who comments on others' singing. He looks vulnerable but I like that. The black and white makes it edgy too. I do miss the 'candy pop' but he like us all, has grown up and moved on. I'm liking the new MIKA vids if this is one of many.

The song to me has the same vibe as 'Kids' but is more of an ear worm as it stays with you.

I'm now inspired to buy the Album where as I was going to buy it as I'm a fan of MIKA and be rude not too.

All I need is a few UK dates and I will be an Extra Happy Bunny this Easter.

Ps. My advice to myself.... is not to listen to the teaser clips anymore haha!

I had the same feeling at the beginning :thumb_yello: Glad you're back Daisy , hopefully some of the first fans will find back the joy of the beginnings :wink2: