Last Party: Short Film by Peter Lindbergh

dcdeb

This is the best video he has ever done. Simple stripped back to the barebones visually, yet in b/w it gives so much depth to the lyrics of the song. THIS is the video everyone who has ever ridiculed Mikas image in the past needs to see, and they will see that he is not just the flamboyant showman, that they have seen on tv.

I totally agree!! This video is the most beautiful thing he's done so far, it even enhances the song, even thought it's already great in itself - I'm completely overwhelmed by so much beauty. Period.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me it´s quite different than for you. For me his perfomance and the lyrics are the Story and it´s totally enough for me that way. I´m so moved I can´t tell you. I didn´t like the short films for TOOL so I´m absolutely happy with what we got today.

I feel like you about it Sabine :)

"But most of all because it's just Mika, not hiding behind any other characters or props, not pretending to be anything other than himself."

"But he looks directly into the camera as if he's looking directly at a single person in the audience -- you, the viewer. As if you and he are the only ones there in that moment."

Thank you Deb you expressed my thought and feeling about the video with the right words!!

"But most of all because it's just Mika, not hiding behind any other characters or props, not pretending to be anything other than himself."

"But he looks directly into the camera as if he's looking directly at a single person in the audience -- you, the viewer. As if you and he are the only ones there in that moment."

Thank you Deb you expressed my thought and feeling about the video with the right words!!

I made a mess with the quote mode, I think :blink:

at work i finally saw it!

:mikalove::mikalove::mikalove:

omg, that was so incredibly gorgeous. it was my first time hearing the album version of the song as well. i love how the song explodes & his voice :wub2:

there could've been a party going around him but i wouldn't have even noticed cuz his eyes had me mesmerized. and his face at the end after the music stopped just killed KILLED me. ugh i'm getting a bit teary-eyed again just thinking about it. and now i'm gonna be super-fangurly all day. i think i better watch it again!

see, this is why i wanted to see it at home & not at work :aah:

Edited by kreacher

This is the best video he has ever done. Simple stripped back to the barebones visually, yet in b/w it gives so much depth to the lyrics of the song. THIS is the video everyone who has ever ridiculed Mikas image in the past needs to see, and they will see that he is not just the flamboyant showman, that they have seen on tv.

+1

I couldn't have said it better, Rose.

omg, that was so incredibly gorgeous. it was my first time hearing the album version of the song as well. i love how the song explodes & his voice :wub2:

there could've been a party going around him but i wouldn't have even noticed cuz his eyes had me mesmerized. and his face at the end after the music stopped just killed KILLED me. ugh i'm getting a bit teary-eyed again just thinking about it. and now i'm gonna be super-fangurly all day. i think i better watch it again!

Told you it was worth the wait!

I've just added the text that's under the video in the first post of this thread, but I'll add it here as well. Not sure how I missed it yesterday.

April 5, 2015

Mika: Last Party

The flamboyant singer is reborn by Peter Lindbergh

Since Mika’s wildly successful debut in 2007 with the album Life in Cartoon Motion, he has often described his career – and its accompanying eight million sales – as an extended plea to be accepted. “I used to dance in my room,” he once said of his early years, “like a private ceremony of begging people to like you.”

To achieve this he has gone to ever more extravagant lengths, even coating himself in coloured paint for one promotion, in a sort of Jackson Pollock-goes-to-Benetton moment. But to launch his fourth album, due out later this year, the flamingo-legged showman has forsaken the day-glo and found an unlikely ally in the shape of fashion photographer Peter Lindbergh. This film is the 70-year-old German’s first ever music video, and like many of his portraits, it reveals his subject in a previously unseen light.

“When you use black and white, you take it out of the real world, out of the banal”

Mika as observed by Lindbergh shares many similarities with the images that made the photographer’s name – in particular, his original ‘supermodels’ shoot for US Vogue in 1988, which featured Linda Evangelista, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell, Christy Turlington and Tatjana Patitz. The simple styling of Mika in a plain shirt and the use of monochrome are Lindbergh’s calling cards: “When you use black and white, you take it out of the real world, out of the banal,” he says.

It’s unclear how Lindbergh first encountered Mika, though it seems unlikely he had his 2007 stomper “Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)” as his ringtone. But the inquisitiveness and sense of calm that epitomize Linbergh’s portraits have allowed a different side of the singer to emerge – stripped of kitsch disguises, Mika’s vulnerability is tangible. Lindbergh’s best photographs have a narrative quality that can give still moments the feel of a silent movie. It is ironic that in his pop promo debut he has made a movie that feels like a still-life. For Mika, the locked-off camera puts his face – and his lyrics – under unforgiving scrutiny. What we find is heartfelt, bittersweet and rather poignant. Who knew he had it in him.

Tom Horan is Culture Editor-at-Large at NOWNESS

It is really beautiful. Singing straight to camera, Mika has nowhere to hide. He was brave to do this, and it's really paid off. His performance of the song is wonderful and I love how the music builds towards the end of the song.

I agree, this is a really mature Mika. Let's hope everyone who sees the video, loves it like we do.

:thumb_yello: Please, release this song :crossed: Many people would love it!!!

I really love mika's performance tho, very intense. :wub2: and, also like i already said on the other thread, i love it that mika himself is in the video. :biggrin2:

oh, i wouldn't say that... you're right about official performances i guess, but at gigs he has often performed songs so intense. guess it's just more obvious here, because all you can see is his face and the emotions, nothing there to distract.

+1 :wink2:

I love this video/film/movie/whatever you want to call it. :wub2:

I'm not going to quibble over the terminology. Maybe they called it a film vs a video, because that gives it a little more weight, makes it seem a little more important than a promotional video. :dunno: Yes, I did originally expect something more along the lines of the Origin of Love video, but after seeing this, I'm not at all disappointed. I love this for so many reasons. For the stripped down look, as you say, Sylvie, and the dramatic, atmospheric feeling that black & white lends to the whole thing. But most of all because it's just Mika, not hiding behind any other characters or props, not pretending to be anything other than himself. He's not awkward in any way, not mugging for the camera. He just seems very natural, very sincere and genuine. I'm not saying that he's not aware of how affecting and moving this performance is. I'm sure he is. But he looks directly into the camera as if he's looking directly at a single person in the audience -- you, the viewer. As if you and he are the only ones there in that moment. And he totally sells the song. At least, it totally works for me. Call me a :fangurl: but I think it's fantastic.

Couldn't agree more!!!

I completely agree! For years I've been saying that I wished he stuck to doing things simply, as he doesn't need any of the gimmicks that he so often uses and that only detract from his voice and music, so this for me is the perfect 'video'. I love it.

I particularly like the crescendo as well. [/color]

Exactly! And I sure hope so re the turning point. I am hoping that he might have finally seen that sometimes less is more, and that he will do more simple things without hiding behind all the props all the time.

[/color]

I really can't believe that I am liking this song so much, because I must be honest: after his latest offerings and all the TV shows, I had completely lost faith that he could deliver something again that I would like, and he has done it.

AND it's made me want to come to MFC and post again after years, so it must be a huge effect that this song has had :lmfao:

It's still early days because of course we haven't seen the full album, but what I am hearing now (the two songs) I am really liking, so I hope that the album will make me feel the Mika luurve again :teehee:

I don't understand why he wastes (imo) so much time doing silly things, when he has all this in him and he could be putting his time to so much better use! But I guess that he has his own priorities and that is just the way it is...:wink2:

[/color]

Glad to see you, Vixen and DaisyLou back :naughty: I didn't like Boum Boum Boum and I love Mika's new choices too :wub2:

:bye: Where have you been miss ? :mf_rosetinted:

Ha, well, I just haven't found that he's done anything interesting in the past few years, besides the albums, really :dunno:. I feel that he's wasting his time and focusing on the wrong things completely by doing the TV shows, but let's not get into that discussion here and now :naughty:

I wouldn't imagine that I will ever be as active on MFC as I was before though, as that was due to a number of factors that made it a completely different time to now, but I had sort of given up on him ever doing anything that I would like again and now I feel a lot more hopeful after this song :wink2:

11129547_850550174982309_5079923680836711553_n.jpg?oh=d38fce82cd2916a812d4fb99bca5308c&oe=55991C70&__gda__=1437255855_f88116489570ceb94d8330a12ddf9913

Drawing by someone else really talented, I JUST LOVE IT :wub2:

Hmmm...I think that he looks more like a devil and a zombie crossed with Rob Lowe, than like Mika...

I've just added the text that's under the video in the first post of this thread, but I'll add it here as well. Not sure how I missed it yesterday.

April 5, 2015

Mika: Last Party

The flamboyant singer is reborn by Peter Lindbergh

Since Mika’s wildly successful debut in 2007 with the album Life in Cartoon Motion, he has often described his career – and its accompanying eight million sales – as an extended plea to be accepted. “I used to dance in my room,” he once said of his early years, “like a private ceremony of begging people to like you.”

To achieve this he has gone to ever more extravagant lengths, even coating himself in coloured paint for one promotion, in a sort of Jackson Pollock-goes-to-Benetton moment. But to launch his fourth album, due out later this year, the flamingo-legged showman has forsaken the day-glo and found an unlikely ally in the shape of fashion photographer Peter Lindbergh. This film is the 70-year-old German’s first ever music video, and like many of his portraits, it reveals his subject in a previously unseen light.

“When you use black and white, you take it out of the real world, out of the banal”

Mika as observed by Lindbergh shares many similarities with the images that made the photographer’s name – in particular, his original ‘supermodels’ shoot for US Vogue in 1988, which featured Linda Evangelista, Cindy Crawford, Naomi Campbell, Christy Turlington and Tatjana Patitz. The simple styling of Mika in a plain shirt and the use of monochrome are Lindbergh’s calling cards: “When you use black and white, you take it out of the real world, out of the banal,” he says.

It’s unclear how Lindbergh first encountered Mika, though it seems unlikely he had his 2007 stomper “Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)” as his ringtone. But the inquisitiveness and sense of calm that epitomize Linbergh’s portraits have allowed a different side of the singer to emerge – stripped of kitsch disguises, Mika’s vulnerability is tangible. Lindbergh’s best photographs have a narrative quality that can give still moments the feel of a silent movie. It is ironic that in his pop promo debut he has made a movie that feels like a still-life. For Mika, the locked-off camera puts his face – and his lyrics – under unforgiving scrutiny. What we find is heartfelt, bittersweet and rather poignant. Who knew he had it in him.

Kitsch disguises indeed...if only Mika himself could see them as that, instead of as 'fashionable' or whatever it is that he sees them as :freak:

Glad to see you, Vixen and DaisyLou back :naughty: I didn't like Boum Boum Boum and I love Mika's new choices too :wub2:

Hi! :huglove: Yes, it looks like there are a few of us on the same boat, eh? :wink2:

The simple styling of Mika in a plain shirt and the use For Mika, the locked-off camera puts his face ¨C and his lyrics ¨C under unforgiving scrutiny. What we find is heartfelt, bittersweet and rather poignant. Who knew he had it in him.

That's how we've always seen him so yes MFCers knew :wub2:

I felt the same Kreacher :wub2:

And I couldn't agree more with you Rose :wub2:

This is such a sincere perfect video for this song :wub2:

Edited by crazyaboutmika

Who knew he had it in him?

We did!

yes, i'm glad he shows his different facettes to the world like this now. we always knew he was a sensitive and thoughtful person behind all the confetti, but with this video he makes it obvious for everyone. and talk about you is a nice light pop song, that shows the colourful happy-pop mika is still there as well. again it reminds me of his little speech at the montreal m&g, that his fans can be covered in mud at a festival, but also dress up nicely for an orchestra concert. he's all of this, and we're with him. :wub2: (although some of us might prefer one, some the other side of him, but that's perfectly fine. :biggrin2:)

When I told my best friend that she should check it out, her first question was how is it? And I just said that I can't describe that in words and that she has to watch it. And when she did, she said that she likes him 50% more than she did before. I just think that this song and the video are amazing!

Ha, well, I just haven't found that he's done anything interesting in the past few years, besides the albums, really :dunno:. I feel that he's wasting his time and focusing on the wrong things completely by doing the TV shows, but let's not get into that discussion here and now :naughty:

I wouldn't imagine that I will ever be as active on MFC as I was before though, as that was due to a number of factors that made it a completely different time to now, but I had sort of given up on him ever doing anything that I would like again and now I feel a lot more hopeful after this song :wink2:

Well there's no need to become as addicted as before ! I mean some fans spent their lives on the forum fangurling over M. :naughty:

Hmmm...I think that he looks more like a devil and a zombie crossed with Rob Lowe, than like Mika...

Mika's officially a walker now :naughty:

Edited by dcdeb

Probably I'll be repetitive but I fell in love with this video.. I think that I could put it in the Top3

Knowing the context of the song, I didn't think of a video so different from what he did but yeah at first I was surprised watching him there with his insecurities, his faults, his preg, totally helpless without wearing a mask. But the more I looked it, and the more I realized that it was the perfect video for this song. Being an ode to Freddy Mercury, it was very touching: I looked away at some point, 'cause his eyes were so powerful as if in that moment he was talking directly with who was looking at him. I think that put yourself in front of a fixed camera with no scene change and singing is one of the most powerful ways to convey emotions and he was incredible. Sinead O'Connor made a similiar video long time ago for "Nothing Compares to you" and I think it was one of her most popular video so I think that this one will have a lot of good reviews. Definitely, Peter Lindbergh made an amazing work as Mika himself