Last Party: Short Film by Peter Lindbergh

dcdeb

Mac-boll, my friend :hug love:, I do think exactly like you do :thumb_yello:

Yes, this song has to be released... for me the too new songs are in the way of LICM, in a way that made me fall in "musical love" with Mika

(I am not saying TBWKTM and TOOL were bad, not at all :wink2:)

To be honest, I did not really like all the songs in French (apart from "Karen")...when people ask me if I am still loving what Mika's singing, I usually say "yes, but what he is singing in french is sh**" I did not like "Elle me Dit" that much and we do not need french songs here, we have enough other singers for that :naughty:

Sorry, that is not the right place to write that but I had to make it clear somewhere :wink2:

I agree with what you say. I did like EMD and BBB myself, but I wished they were in English and I knew they couldn't be hits everywhere, especially UK. I always hoped they would be, but knew really they would not be.

I got so fed up with all the foreign stuff to be honest. I even, almost, stopped being a fan of Mika as I felt so disappointed when he decided to do The Voice France again. I stopped coming on here for a while.

I feel more hopeful now, and it's so good to have these new songs in English, also to read blogs and reviews that don't need to be translated into Yoda-speak, by my Google translator.

English is the way to go for his career. Most songs that do well in Europe are in English. It isn't that I don't like French and Italian, not that I have any snobbery towards foreign languages at all. But the whole world is used to hearing English, in songs, so the songs are more likely to be hits all over the world (If you get my meaning)

That said. I'm happy there will be French songs on the French release of NPIH. But I'm also happy that there are none on the album for the UK.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:blink: I was wondering about the same as Rose, and even you explain the reason very well here, I don't understand how this firm Gema can do this, and make YT block all these vids !! :shocked: I thought all artists would be very happy to be on YT, without any payment! :blink: Imo, it gives them lots of attention, and lead to people buying their music...:fisch:

Love,love

me

GEMA is officially representing the artist's rights for germany. So if a song gets played anywhere in public here (radio, club, cover at a gig, online,...), those who play it have to pay something to the GEMA, which will forward (most of) it to the artists. So artists won't have to ask money from everyone who plays their songs individually. Generally it's a good thing. But it's just rubbish that they can't find an agreement with yt. The problem is, if yt doesn't block the videos here, GEMA could sue them for the money and would win, because GEMA has the right to ask money for any song that gets played publicly. But in the end just everyone (artists and users) lose cause both companies are too stubborn to find an agreement. :aah:

anyway, ot. I'm glad the video is on a site (too) where everyone can watch it. And many germans have little proxy programs installed that enable them to watch the yt videos anyway. :bleh: ... so i hope the vid will get watched here nevertheless.

GEMA is officially representing the artist's rights for germany. So if a song gets played anywhere in public here (radio, club, cover at a gig, online,...), those who play it have to pay something to the GEMA, which will forward (most of) it to the artists. So artists won't have to ask money from everyone who plays their songs individually. Generally it's a good thing. But it's just rubbish that they can't find an agreement with yt. The problem is, if yt doesn't block the videos here, GEMA could sue them for the money and would win, because GEMA has the right to ask money for any song that gets played publicly. But in the end just everyone (artists and users) lose cause both companies are too stubborn to find an agreement. :aah:

anyway, ot. I'm glad the video is on a site (too) where everyone can watch it. And many germans have little proxy programs installed that enable them to watch the yt videos anyway. :bleh: ... so i hope the vid will get watched here nevertheless.

From what I understand GEMA is for Germany what SACEM is for France then. SACEM and Youtube have signed a deal years ago to prevent this, covering every french songs protected plus all the english catalogue of UMPI. It would really be about time for them to manage something similar with GEMA :wait:

:thumb_yello: OK - thanks for further explanation, to both you and Sabine - I understand it now :blush-anim-cl: But of course it should be possible to make a good agreement with YT - which seems to be something everybody use! Imo, "Last party" with its fab. video, really is MIKA for everybody, not just for hardcore fans like MFCers. I've sent the link to friends and people whom I know don't search for him, and up to now there's only positive response - like they finally understand what an amazing singer/songwriter MIKA really is! :wub2: People going to gigs, know what a wonderful performer he is - this vid. without anything to disturb, makes it very clear - MIKA captures the viewer, and leave us all breathless, and in awe ...:wub2:

Love,love

me

From what I understand GEMA is for Germany what SACEM is for France then. SACEM and Youtube have signed a deal years ago to prevent this, covering every french songs protected plus all the english catalogue of UMPI. It would really be about time for them to manage something similar with GEMA :wait:

Yes. It's just about the money. Gema wants more than yt is willing to pay. Or something like they want money per click, and yt just wants to pay general sums, not per click. Anyway, it works in other countries too, so i guess it's mainly gema that's too stubborn. But no idea if yt made any step towards them.

Right, Christine. And the same for gema - if they allow yt a different fee structure than they usually demand, other websites will want the same. It's for a reason that this has been going on for years. :doh:

Hi MFC :wink2:

I did not know this song (I haven't watched the Montreal videos yet) and hadn't ordered it on Itunes because I wanted a physical CD in June :teehee:

But, the first time I saw this video on MIKA's FB, here is my reaction :

"MIKA this is the first time I am listening to this song and it is absolutely divine :wub2: , I had tears rolling on my cheeks...:tears:

I have been loving you for the beginning of your career and , so far , that is "Happy Ending" who makes me cry at each gig...:wub2:

The video is beautiful , simple but expressive...:thumb_yello:"

--------------

Consequently, I have ordered the album on Itunes :teehee: to be offered this song right now and listen to it everywhere (car, bathroom, at work :blush-anim-cl:), this is my new "Happy Ending" which was one the most emotional to me :tears::wub2:(with "Any Other World").

Probably because it is just :

Piano + Mika + Strings at the end :mikalove:

At first sight, I thought Mika was angry (because I did not know the song), then I realized it was sadness...

My heart and breathing had a "stop" when he sang with his angel voice without any lyrics :shocked::wub2:

And the tears suddenly came :tears: I could not stop them.

His face is so expressive, he does not need anything else than his voice, even the piano is not necessary when he sings without lyrics...:wub2:

Moreover, he looks like an angel standing like this on a white shirt against a dark wall :mikalove:

Keeping on going crescendo like this with his hands up make the song even stronger to me :wink2:

The first time I heard it, I could not understand all the lyrics, that is to say that Mika can sing anything with this kind of voice or rhythm and that can be beautiful and powerful :thumb_yello:

Well, I love this video, it is perfect to me...:thumb_yello:

MIKA does not always need to jump everywhere with a lot of people in colorful clothes or drawn colorful cartoons to be suggestive or emotional :wink2:

Lovely description! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and your feelings.

got this newsletter e-mail today, with a quote from mika about the video: http://zaphod.uk.vvhp.net/viewemail?con=6409464&cmp=10189&act=396828&subj=0&sec=ff52640146f6&webversionpage=1

"This collaboration was born naturally and out of friendship. Peter wanted to capture me in complete honesty and as naturally as possible. Simplicity and emotion being one of the hardest things to achieve, it was only with someone like Peter that I could let my guard down so much. The photos were done first and then came the idea of bringing them to life with 'a photo that talks to you'. We booked the same studio and with the same crew we shot the Last Party video a few weeks later.

Working and knowing Peter is an honour. He is brilliant but more than anything he is kind. His kindness and devilish spirit find their way through every one of his pictures. When you sit for him and it clicks, you end up learning more about yourself."

got this newsletter e-mail today, with a quote from mika about the video: http://zaphod.uk.vvhp.net/viewemail?con=6409464&cmp=10189&act=396828&subj=0&sec=ff52640146f6&webversionpage=1

"This collaboration was born naturally and out of friendship. Peter wanted to capture me in complete honesty and as naturally as possible. Simplicity and emotion being one of the hardest things to achieve, it was only with someone like Peter that I could let my guard down so much. The photos were done first and then came the idea of bringing them to life with 'a photo that talks to you'. We booked the same studio and with the same crew we shot the Last Party video a few weeks later.

Working and knowing Peter is an honour. He is brilliant but more than anything he is kind. His kindness and devilish spirit find their way through every one of his pictures. When you sit for him and it clicks, you end up learning more about yourself."

Thank you so much for sharing Melody :huglove:

Regarding GEMA and youtube in Germany there are ways to work around this, obviously. ThePianoGuys for instance have a link in each of their video descriptions that redirects the audience trying to watch from Germany to another (also yt) page and it works just fine from there. I'm convinced that this approach doesn't play such a minor role in their degree of popularity and success over here. I can't imagine it's illegal either, because they're signed with Sony and the label certainly has a say in this?

It seems a minor gesture but shows interest and care for the special difficulties for a certain market and that can make all the difference sometimes.

Regarding GEMA and youtube in Germany there are ways to work around this, obviously. ThePianoGuys for instance have a link in each of their video descriptions that redirects the audience trying to watch from Germany to another (also yt) page and it works just fine from there. I'm convinced that this approach doesn't play such a minor role in their degree of popularity and success over here. I can't imagine it's illegal either, because they're signed with Sony and the label certainly has a say in this?

It seems a minor gesture but shows interest and care for the special difficulties for a certain market and that can make all the difference sometimes.

yeah sometimes there are alternative links, we have one via vevo. But in case of most Mika vids not YT and mostly only the clicks from there are mentioned from media. I also do not understand why YT Germany does not block all artists. They earn many clicks. others don't. That's not fair. I wrote to gema and Yt. both blame it to each other instead of finding a solution. They say they will try but they telling it since years:sneaky2:, so I stopped believe they will

• 4 weeks later...