British Summer Time Festival, London 21 June 2015

mari62

I know he said something about the Autumn, but there is nothing on the list and it goes up to October. So if he is doing something here, he could, of course, be waiting to see if the new album gains him enough fans to fill a decent sized venue, or it could be that he just hasn't announced anything yet. But I just didn't want anyone to raise their hopes, when there are no dates in the UK announced yet.

I think you're right in that he might be deciding upon the venue based on the how well received the album is. Whilst publicity and popularity are great, I actually think smaller venues would be better. When I went to see him at the Ritz, we got so close to Mika with very little crowds- a far more enjoyable experience than being on the other end of the stadium watching him on a TV screen! :) Either way, I think (and hope) that he will do some form of touring this year in the UK! :)

Oh, and btw, you might be aware already, but NPIH is album of the week on radio 2 next week! :P

Edited by Ellenowl
  • Like 1

I've just got the BST Hyde Park app, it says Mika will be on the Great Oak Stage at 4pm for 45 minutes. Was hoping for an hour but after not seeing him for over 2 years it's enough :) Hopefully he'll stick around afterwards for a bit. Would be great to meet him again.

45 minutes...? 

Whaaaaaa....

But... 

Only 45 minutes? 

This is not possible, is it? I mean, concerts usually last for 1,5h/2h, how can he play for only 45? ;____________; This is my first concert of his!

45 minutes...? 

Whaaaaaa....

But... 

Only 45 minutes? 

This is not possible, is it? I mean, concerts usually last for 1,5h/2h, how can he play for only 45? ;____________; This is my first concert of his!

I feel your pain.... But it isn't a concert. It's a festival with multiple acts ... And he isn't headlining.

I am sure that the 45 minutes will pass very quickly but we will just have to enjoy it whilst we can.

I know he said something about the Autumn, but there is nothing on the list and it goes up to October. So if he is doing something here, he could, of course, be waiting to see if the new album gains him enough fans to fill a decent sized venue, or it could be that he just hasn't announced anything yet. But I just didn't want anyone to raise their hopes, when there are no dates in the UK announced yet.

Maybe there will be dates in the late autumn?  I don't think Mika has announced any November dates yet, so don't lose hope! :crossed:

Marilyn, all those dates had been announced long before he said he was going to do some autumn dates in the UK. 

I think you're right in that he might be deciding upon the venue based on the how well received the album is. Whilst publicity and popularity are great, I actually think smaller venues would be better. When I went to see him at the Ritz, we got so close to Mika with very little crowds- a far more enjoyable experience than being on the other end of the stadium watching him on a TV screen! :) Either way, I think (and hope) that he will do some form of touring this year in the UK! :)

Oh, and btw, you might be aware already, but NPIH is album of the week on radio 2 next week! :P

Maybe there will be dates in the late autumn?  I don't think Mika has announced any November dates yet, so don't lose hope! :crossed:

Marilyn, all those dates had been announced long before he said he was going to do some autumn dates in the UK. 

Thanks for that Silver. It's just that the email only came the other day, so I thought the list was up to date.

If there is something in November/December that I can get to (probably, because there are no festivals then) it will add to my Christmas cheer.

I didn't know NPIH was album of the week next week! I am thrilled! A whole week of plugging for Mika's album in the UK!!!

Feeling really happy and hopeful now!!!

Thanks for that Silver. It's just that the email only came the other day, so I thought the list was up to date.

If there is something in November/December that I can get to (probably, because there are no festivals then) it will add to my Christmas cheer.

I didn't know NPIH was album of the week next week! I am thrilled! A whole week of plugging for Mika's album in the UK!!!

Feeling really happy and hopeful now!!!

I doubt there will be gigs here in November, that is when the X factor Italia live shows are on.

I don't quite understand, isn't London one of his hometowns? Why there are no concerts here, not even in small venues? I have a really bad feeling that his more appreciated anywhere but here. :c

I don't quite understand, isn't London one of his hometowns? Why there are no concerts here, not even in small venues? I have a really bad feeling that his more appreciated anywhere but here. :c

We have been asking the same thing .....

Sadly. the British public at large are a bit snobbish when it comes to Mika. Because he doesn't fit into one of the little boxes we seem to have here of what a pop musician should be.  In a way he is in between Sam Smith and Boy George as regards his way of doing things, and they can't seem to get their head around it. 

It drives me mad, but there we have it.

• Like 1

This is really sad. 
It is even hard to say if he's a pop musician - generally, I don't really follow on which terms the genres are based, mostly it doesn't mean anything at all to me - let the musicans create what they want. 
But even with London it surprises me - the audience is so multicultural, I guess there should be more concerts, because there are people who are genuinely waiting for them. I waited for over two years, and now I found out it's only 45 minutes. 
I am also kind of crossed at BST. Mika plays for 45 minutes and the headliner, Kylie, only twice longer - I checked other days, Blur plays for like two hours? This is a proper time. It's like giving away samples at Tesco - this is what this concert might be to me. But still very important.

This is really sad. 

It is even hard to say if he's a pop musician - generally, I don't really follow on which terms the genres are based, mostly it doesn't mean anything at all to me - let the musicans create what they want. 

But even with London it surprises me - the audience is so multicultural, I guess there should be more concerts, because there are people who are genuinely waiting for them. I waited for over two years, and now I found out it's only 45 minutes. 

I am also kind of crossed at BST. Mika plays for 45 minutes and the headliner, Kylie, only twice longer - I checked other days, Blur plays for like two hours? This is a proper time. It's like giving away samples at Tesco - this is what this concert might be to me. But still very important.

This is really sad. 

This is really sad. 

He can usually do 2 nights in London, but elsewhere around the country, it seems to be getting harder to see him. Manchester seem to love him though, 

When he premiered the last album at Lovebox, it was only 30 minutes, but I thought this time he would get an hour at least.

Edited by RAK1

Sadly. the British public at large are a bit snobbish when it comes to Mika. Because he doesn't fit into one of the little boxes we seem to have here of what a pop musician should be.  In a way he is in between Sam Smith and Boy George as regards his way of doing things, and they can't seem to get their head around it. 

It drives me mad, but there we have it.

Yet he did so well in 2007. But this is why I hope he doesn't sing Big Girl on Sunday. He got slated for that song on the radios. I hope he shows the more mature Mika we have now, and sings at least two new songs. But also, he should get himself on UKTV and wow people with his skills in interviews.

I wasn't here in England at that time, nor I wasn't his fan (kind of a newbie among you, guys c:), but please, explain me, why did he got slated for that song? WHY? Whaaat's wrong with it? 

I wasn't here in England at that time, nor I wasn't his fan (kind of a newbie among you, guys c:), but please, explain me, why did he got slated for that song? WHY? Whaaat's wrong with it? 

I came back on to tell everyone that the weather forecast for tomorrow, in London, is fantastic!

Hot and sunny. The sun will shine tomorrow.

Okay, regarding Big Girl. There's nothing wrong with the song. All the fans know he wrote it to praise a size-acceptance nightclub in America, that he found out about from a late-night documentary, where big girls can go and be themselves. No one will pick on them for being overweight, because thin girls can't get into the club, and the men who go there, want to meet big women, so that's great.

However, in the UK, DJs on some radio shows, especially a DJ called Chris Moyles, slated Mika for the song. Basically, they said, "Why is he writing about fancying Big Girls, when we all know he's gay?"

They seemed to think that Mika was trying to put people off guessing he was gay, by indicating that he fancied big women. Of course, he also had Big Girl dancers on the stage with him, at that time, so he got to be a bit of a joke, with some of the media in the UK (they also didn't like his animal costumes either)

If they'd listened to the Big Girl song properly, they'd have realised that Mika wasn't saying that HE fancied big women. He was saying, to other men, that if they like Big Girls then they should...

Get yourself to the Butterfly lounge,

Find yourself a big lady.

On the other side of the coin, big women loved Mika for the song and loved the song. It's actually one of the most recognisable. One woman I mentioned Mika to, had never heard of Happy Ending, Love Today, or Relax, but she loved Big Girl and said. "Oooooh so that's Mika!!!" I said, "yes".

But it's not one of my favourite Mika songs. I love the more melodious songs, like Underwater, better than Big Girl. Tomorrow I'd sooner he sang some of the newer songs that the UK haven't heard, to show his skills as a musician. But I realise he'll have to sing some old ones too.

Either way, it should be a good gig.

• Like 1

I am waiting at the Priority Entry, if there's any Mika fand feeling lonely, I am wearing flower dungarees and looking scared! :)) I see lots of Kylie Fans, can't see any Mika Freaks. :P