2015 - Webster Hall, New York City: 4 May - REPORTS/PICS/VIDEOS

guylainem123

Wrote a little report here:

http://mikagigs.com/2015/05/06/gig-reports-mika-webster-hall-nyc-52015/

@Stefa Totally agree with you about the lights! It gave lovely different shades for the setting.

Thanks a LOT for this long & detailed report Nina! I've been waiting for this, and I love it !! :-) And, omg, your pics are abs. adorable - so close-up and skarp, it's like being there!! :-)

So happy that Toy Boy now seems to be kind of MIKA's signature song :-) -:)

Love,love

me

Thanks for the reports! Ah yes stefa, i remember your conversation with mika from the video, really funny! :naughty:

And nina, i understand you so well about the ticket mess. I fear it'll be the same for a lot of the autumn tour, with those presale tickets that have to be picked up at the box office. Why can't they just give out proper (self-print) tickets, like it is usual these days?! Anyway, glad to hear that your gig experience was fab despite this bad start. :huglove:

Edited by mellody
typo

Thanks a LOT for this long & detailed report Nina! I've been waiting for this, and I love it !! :-) And, omg, your pics are abs. adorable - so close-up and skarp, it's like being there!! :-)

So happy that Toy Boy now seems to be kind of MIKA's signature song :-) - :)

Love,love

me

You are welcome  :)

Thanks for the reports! Ah yes stefa, i remember your conversation with mika from the video, really funny! :naughty:

And nina, i understand you so well about the ticket mess. I fear it'll be the same for a lot of the autumn tour, with those presale tickets that have to be picked up at the box office. Why can't they just give out proper (self-print) tickets, like it is usual these days?! Anyway, glad to hear that your gig experience was fab despite this bad start. :huglove:

I know, my first thought was that that kind of mess will so happen again... At least we have bought double tickets to some gigs, lol! But I forgot the whole mess once he started singing, the gig was fantastic  :wub:

• Like 1

OK, I wasn't going to put this on youtube for a couple reasons -- it keeps going in and out of focus, again :sneaky2:   and it cuts off before the end of the song because I just couldn't help but jump at the end, since Mika was gesturing for us to JUMP! :naughty:

But I figured something is better than nothing and you can see the song with the set at least a little bit -- so don't judge me too harshly.

[media]

[/media]

Also thought I'd add this pic of the t-shirts I bought -- there were 4 different styles. These two, plus a white one (at least under the light it looked white) with buildings and different song lyrics (but I can't remember which song, may have been Good Guys?), and a black one with the buildings. They were all $30US

11150361_10155511097980321_3696536362042

Wow the building one is nice! I want to get it. It's really really good :wub:

much has already been said but here’s my little late report thing…

I got to the venue at 7:00am Monday morning but no one was there so I left & came back at 7:30am.  Still no one was there but I was tired of wandering aimlessly so I sat down and wasted time.  Thankfully Nina arrived after not too long, then others arrived an hour or two or three after her.  Queuing went smooth as other have said.  We watched the band arrive, but never did see Mika get there.

When it was time to go in the ticket I’d gotten mailed to me worked like a charm and I expected to be front & center, directly in front of Mika’s microphone like I’d been dreaming of & even mentioned to people earlier in the day, and surrounded by those friends I’d spent queuing with all afternoon.  Neither of those things happened quite as planned since a couple people who’d arrived at like 6:30pm got let in before everyone else and were in my spot, and you’ve already read about the pre-sale ticket mess so I won’t delve into that. Thankfully I ended up front row a bit right of center, between Deb and Indy, and I could see most of the others who’d been waiting longest not too far back.

The hours waiting in the queue had seemed to go pretty fast…. However the hour waiting inside the venue took foreveeeeeer.  I was bored with the DJ and so, so annoyed about the ticket debacle and didn’t feel well because I was so nervous (but that’s nothing new) so to distract myself I was looking at my camera & deleting a few old pics, but seeing pics of my kitty just made me sad too.  And not sleeping since about 6:30am Sunday morning was starting to catch up to me.  So yeah, things inside the venue were off to a bad start for me.

But then Mika happened and I totally forgot about everything else.

-He opened with Toy Boy…. I do kinda miss him opening with Relax because of the way the band would start and POOF he’d just suddenly be there.  Once he started singing Toy Boy of course it was magic but he just walked out, like a normal person and it just felt weird :aah:

-Good Wife :mikalove:  For a few seconds I wasn’t so sure, but then I fell in love, probably right around the chorus.  I feel so privileged I got to hear it live!

-Billy Brown and Big Girl once again were used to take photos.  If Mika noticed me both nights he prolly thinks i’m reaaally into those songs xD  Is it too much to ask for him to mix it up and occasionally replace them with different songs? :teehee:  

-the lights behind him hurt my eyes and sometimes made looking at anything above his middle a bit more challenging (it’s like they wanted me to stare at his crotch, which i mostly avoided during the verboten gig when it was at eye level!)  Because of the lights from behind his head you can’t really see his face in some of my pics but I got a few decent ones (decent for my crap camera anyway) which I’ll post as soon as I find my camera cord.  I forget if the lights were like that in 2012 or not, I wanna say yes.

-the barrier had been moved further away from the stage since he played there in 2012.  I wonder if it was a permanent change, or if they just remembered how Mika fans can get xD

-when he untucked his shirt I saw his belly button.  it was super cute!

-the set looked amazing! it’s my favorite of his scenery that i’ve seen live so far.  it was perfect …until he tossed the flower at the horn and made the horn fall off the stage and break in two.  Also, the lights on his traffic light are out of order, aren’t they?

-Once again i couldn’t see Curtis, this time he was blocked by a set sign.

-before Boum Boum Boum (I think?) he asked in French if we speak French then taught us some French words, including the word for dollar and pointed down in the barrier gap where two dollars were laying.  Anyone know why the dollars were there?  For a second I thought he threw them there and wondered where he’d produced them from so fast.

-we got three more songs than at the previous gig, but it wasn’t nearly enough of course.  Greedy Dee is greedy :blush-anim-cl: 

Afterward… the venue people herded everyone out pretty quickly onto the sidewalk. There was some kind of rap or hip-hop event going on in the venue below so outside was an interesting mix of Mika fans and those in the ever-expanding bunch of people waiting to get into that event.  I got to see my first real live drug deal!  Also someone told me they had heard one of that crowd mention they’d left their pistol at home.  Some of us were quite near to them, we kept trying to inch away but we were sort of sandwiched between them and some Mika fans who were apparently unaware of the shenanigans xD  So those of us closest to the rowdy rap fans decided to go around to the other side of the Mika group to wait.  When Mika came out of the venue we just happened to be closest so he came to us first.  It was so surprising, I wasn’t ready for him at all xD  He was in a hurry, so I held out my ticket along with all the other things people were holding out.  As soon as he started signing my thing someone started talking to him in French.  I thought “oh hell no, I’m not letting this happen again” and said thank you to him in a firm, clear voice, which is the most assertive thing I’d ever done in his presence :teehee:  When I said it he looked up at me, he seemed surprised since I don’t think he’d actually seen who he was signing for.  His eyes locked on mine and for a split second we just stared at each other. I was NOT prepared for that!  Then he was onto someone else before I could find anymore words. *headdesks*

I moved to the back of the crowd but tried to stay close enough that I could still hear and see him.  He seemed to be speaking quieter than usual and I missed some bits, so thanks to all who filmed it!

i had to make sacrifices to get to NYC & i agonized whether i should even go or not, but it was soooo worth it!  not everything went perfectly but i'd do it all again for those two gigfuls of utter joy

Edited by kreacher
  • Like 5

Hope you did as I asked you, Dee, and had enough fun for both of us. Thank you for sharing. I have another question for you but I'll save it for next time we chat. Love ya!

yay i finally found my camera cord!  So here's my least bad Webster Hall photos...

and now you see why I kinda have to be front row >.<

post-21113-0-97112200-1431437478_thumb.jpg

post-21113-0-87394500-1431437527_thumb.jpg

post-21113-0-68951900-1431437638_thumb.jpg

post-21113-0-60248100-1431437701_thumb.jpg

post-21113-0-65363300-1431437719_thumb.jpg

post-21113-0-45237600-1431437761_thumb.jpg

post-21113-0-35777100-1431437806_thumb.jpg

Edited by kreacher
  • Like 1

Aww, your pics aren't that bad, Dee! :thumb_yello:

And actually, the lighting was not great for taking photos, unless you were a professional and could play with your settings.

Did anyone record Blue Eyes from this gig? I think I've seen videos of every other song but that... :blink:

i've been looking around & haven't found Blue Eyes or Lollipop from the Webster Hall gig  :o

Aww, your pics aren't that bad, Dee!  :thumb_yello:

And actually, the lighting was not great for taking photos, unless you were a professional and could play with your settings.

aw thanks :)  I had several unusable photos because of the backlighting

Edited by kreacher

• 2 weeks later...
  • silver changed the title to 2015 - Webster Hall, New York City: 4 May - REPORTS/PICS/VIDEOS