Belasco, Los Angeles, California: 6 May 2015 - REPORTS/PICS/VIDEOS

mari62

Thank you so much for all of these! I'm suffering from post-concert depression and these are helping!

It was a pleasure meeting you guys! I am so happy that I had such a great first Mika gig.

While y'all were gallavanting about Belasco with the Boss, I was sitting here in Utah wishing I could be with you. I'm glad everything was wonderful and magical for you. Thank you for all the sharing and the memories, can't wait until he gets Mr. Geranibum back in the US and gives us lots more of them!

• Like 1

I don't know if it was just because it's been so long since I last saw Mika, but this show was really, really amazing. :wub2:

The venue was really pretty, an old theatre that I think is usually used as a nightclub. It was unfortunate because a lot of us had will call tickets that needed to be picked up at the box office, however the box office didn't open until the doors did. So while I was collecting my tickets, everyone who already had their tickets ran ahead and got the prime spots.

I got lucky though and eneded up with a pretty good spot. There was a DJ on before Mika (who accidentally asked the crowd "Are you ready for My-ka?" Ouch.) Finally after a million years, Mika came on.

He was rocking the same suit as in NYC, but in this stately old venue it actually made sense. About three quarters of the way through the gig he started cracking up and announced "I've split my trousers". Too funny.

He's done some really amazing things with the arrangements of the older songs. He has SASSED UP Toy Boy to a whole 'notha level. Singing "how could THIS be for rental?" and gesturing at himself. The crowd ate it up. And of course "Billy Brown fell in love with...me. *wink*. I kinda dig this sassy new Mika.

I love what he's done on Blue Eyes, adding the steel drum and playing around with his phrasing. I'm glad there's still room for Blue Eyes in the setlist. It's really held up well over time. I think the setlist was mostly the same as in NYC, though he didn't play Boum Boum Boum and he added Elle Me Dit.

He's in really amazing shape, vocally. I know on some rational level that he's incredibly talented, but after over two years without seeing him I kinda forgot how... captivating?...he really is. His voice and stage presence are really unlike any other. And one thing that really stood out after a couple years away from his shows is how he connects with his audience. I've been to see a whole bunch of other artists in the last while, and none have mastered that connection quite like Mika has. It's pretty amazing to see.

At the end of Underwater he had the venue turn off all the lights, so we were all standing there in darkness. He made some cheeky comment about it being easier to get naked in the dark (!) He then had everyone close their eyes and whisper "Underwateeeeer!" progressively louder until the whole venue was shouting it. It was a really cool effect.

The new songs are amazing live. I'm still on the fence about Last Party, but Talk About You is great and Good Life has the potential to become classic.

Oh, he also told us a story about how he was hungry before the gig and so his Mom went out to get dinner for everyone...and ended up picking up dinner at Hooters. :D

He eventually came out after the gig and signed things for the 30 or 40 people who had been waiting. It was all really chill, with very little pushing or shoving. Well done, LA crwod.

Overall an amazing gig. I can't wait to see him again, whenever that may be. :wub:

Thank you for your report! I really can't resist more until the 10th june, when finally I'll attend my first concert :wub: Reading these words I already feel all the emotions he provokes and that I'll live that magical day. :swoon:

And thanks Eriko for finding these wonderful photos!

Did you see the Access Hollywood video? He was talking about turning 30 and getting to the point where he's done with putting up walls. He really seemed to embody that in LA tonight. He was just doing his thing and owning it. It's a slight change from the Mika of days gone by, but in a really positive way.

I think it is Good Wife, but it was mis-typed "Good Life" on the setlist.

Yes I did see that interview. It's great that he's so happy and relaxed now. It's what I always wished for him.

I only got confused about the title of the song, because someone called it Good Life, so I wasn't sure (being a 60 year old senior) if I was wrong. Thanks for clarifying.

I sat in the balcony and watched, my photos are absolute drivel, but here are a few of them.

***assuming they'll upload

I will say I was very very very surprised he didn't play Stuck in the Middle. He only played keyboard himself on two songs iirc (Elle Me Dit, and Bily Brown).  The drummer is new I believe, I didn't recognize him or the guitar player (although I think that was the same guitar player from the Origin of Love-era shows). Overall, I thought the show was much better than his previous shows; the setlist was tighter, the arrangements were an improvement over past live arrangements....it was a greater show than in the past--then again he only comes to LA every two to three years, so one would expect more apparent differences in two years, hahaha

He seemed more free to use backing tracks in the performance, which made several songs sound more full; it worked surprisingly well for him.

At this point, I can't completely remember the order of the setlist, but:

Toy Boy; Grace Kelly; Billy Brown; Relax, Take it Easy; Blue Eyes; We Are Golden; Origin of Love; Underwater; Billy Brown; Talk About You; Good Wife; Good Guys; Last Party; Elle Me Dit

someone else can put them in order, ahaha

I also think we need a better manner for the MFC to meet up; not saying we should go back to the light-up hearts, but those sure were useful. Some faces I can remember from years past, some I don't. But it was nice seeing everyone regardless.

After the show, Mika stood around and signed some stuff and took photos with the people who waited; he was quite the trooper, it was pretty obvious he wanted to go, and he kept asking if we could take group shots, but he took alot of single photos anyway, which was quite nice.

post-18394-0-72577400-1431090118_thumb.jpg

The photos wouldn't attach correctly, so I turned to my dropbox instead:

The opening DJ

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hcw08fsfvxtyh4/MIKALA15050610.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ghfs7rtizvpfnuj/MIKALA15050609.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vz4rs6k50hnd4ce/MIKALA15050611.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e3x53b3l2gkm8z1/MIKALA15050613.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rrwlhd4kkide3ld/MIKALA15050614.jpg?dl=0

MIKA

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bz1isbmvlww7a4h/MIKALA15050615.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/julrbbfrpka1t3k/MIKALA15050616.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3lqiw1695p1m0zb/MIKALA15050619.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mgnonxcr9z7fob7/MIKALA15050618.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7gvenjscjqd2e4l/MIKALA15050620.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4jj2efnebadw6j/MIKALA15050621.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f3b4v1lljrkrqgi/MIKALA15050622.jpg?dl=0

Here is the entire photofolder, I posted some of the decent looking ones, but should you care to see the rest...:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ytneqt3cx3xtqkr/AACtcvSwTuXNeLJaCRRDqrs_a?dl=0

Edited by Daisuke

Photos and review

L.A. Record.com

MIKA @ THE BELASCO THEATRE
May 8th, 2015

Britain’s MIKA was greeted to stadium-level excitement as he strolled out from the shadows and into the cartoon city stage set up The Belasco.

Marquees peppered throughout the display announced the name of the whimsical pop star’s upcoming album No Place in Heaven as members of his band were tucked amongst the various buildings.

Looking around in wonder with a beaming smile, stars adorned MIKA’s suit jacket, and glittery shoes pulled together the entire outfit.

The tender lullaby of “Toy Boy” started off the final gig (for now) of his two date U.S. return.

This eased into the bouncy “Popular Song” which borrows lyrics from the beloved Wicked musical.

The venue erupted when MIKA launched into the beloved hit, “Grace Kelly,” as he busted out his inner Freddie Mercury to sassy perfection.

The crowd was rapturous the entire night, singing along with MIKA at full volume when not screaming for his attention between songs.

The charismatic singer offered a handful of anecdotes between sounds, including one about finally getting his mother out to Los Angeles for the show, only to awkwardly indulge in take-out from a Hooter’s.

His flashy moments were absolutely thrilling, as during “We Are Golden” or new single, “Talk About You,” but it was the gentle ones that proved most affecting.

The Belasco went dark for “Underwater” save for the green and red “EXIT” signs in the background, with MIKA requesting that fans listen with eyes closed.

It was a haunting experience, and made more so with the booming audience sing-along that accompanied it.

Leaping about the stage for over an hour caused MIKA’s pants to split, and both boys and girls alike screamed for him to just “Take it off!” The singer shyly deflected these requests as he launched into new song, “The Last Party.”

The set ended with the celebration that is “Love Today,” as MIKA adorned himself with a baseball cap emblazoned with his name and pulled out a oversized flower prop for a cheeky “He loves me… he loves me not” game, ending on a petal declaring “He Loves Me.”

The night at The Belasco proved that although MIKA may have been gone from Los Angeles for a bit, he was definitely not forgotten.

Photos from Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nevercoolinschool/sets/72157652351978476/

17374365706_d23efd4916_k.jpg

16780057673_a04874e19a_k.jpg

17374357846_2a30abb436_k.jpg

17374352816_6f8c8f4f8b_k.jpg

17399959711_284b3e7b5a_k.jpg

17400342635_89100529c7_k.jpg

Photos from Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nevercoolinschool/sets/72157652351978476/

17398339332_9d9302ffe8_k.jpg

17398335872_826512efac_k.jpg

17398317222_8afbb65776_k.jpg

16780031643_1d09d91e0a_k.jpg

17212526648_d96139f99c_k.jpg

17400322235_963389518e_k.jpg

16777776674_1a6847462b_k.jpg

post-18723-0-07928600-1431101011_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-14540700-1431101014_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-15351900-1431101019_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-11240600-1431101022_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-14512400-1431101029_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-78200200-1431101032_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-41041100-1431101037_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-82576500-1431101045_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-07155900-1431101049_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-88919300-1431101051_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-93221700-1431101071_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-71101500-1431101074_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-28318200-1431101078_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-71006800-1431101081_thumb.jpg

post-18723-0-85549000-1431101084_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 1

Hi Everyone! New to the forum, but long long long time Mika fan.  I was wondering if anyone had a correct, ordered setlist for Wednesday's show.  Thanks!!

Here's the setlist:

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CEgIc-lUUAAK969.jpg

He skipped BoumBoumBoum, and he added Elle Me Dit before Love Today. He also dropped Lollipop at the end.

• Like 1

I just want to say that this gig was soooo great!

We ended up being front row kinda by luck cause we had to grab the tickets from will-call the second they opened the doors while everyone else went inside :P

Mika was communicating with us during the show which is always extra awesome :) It warms my heart knowing he remembers us little people who supported him all these years ;) LOL

The best was being with the MFCers that I missed from back in the day! you guys rock and made this day extra special :) 

I still wish he did TOUCHES YOU and STUCK IN THE MIDDLE!

meeting Mika was of course GREAT as always. Still the same nice guy i met in 2007. :thumb_yello:  thank you mika and everyone for a REALLY fun day! 

• Like 1

Here's my choppy baby report :pinkbow:

Sooo...this concert was a blast!

I got there at noon and was about 10th in line. Besides Kat i didnt know anyone who was in line already and tried to say hi but at first everyone kept to themselves and I was like "okaaaay".

More people show up and were super cool and nice - some old and some new friends! It was an overall very friendly queue which made the day go by super fast!

The Belasco staff was really cool too. I heard negative things about this venue but I saw nothing of what i read online. Thank god. They were cool, joked with us and set up railings for the queue early in the day.

I was surprised how small the venue and stage was. I feel "my" Mika shows keep getting smaller (excluding MTL). We kept getting different capacity numbers throughout the day from 1200 to 4000, so we didnt know what to expect. But yea...that 1200 seemed right, if not high. I was able to snag a spot on the barricade next and we waaaaited 90 minutes for Mika...too excited!

Of Course Mika was great! There are already great reports of his performance..., so im not even going to try. Just share my opinions....like really? Billy Brown? Again? Still? I mean, I love this song, I have BB tattooed on my foot, but it was just SUPER hard to act into it at this show. I felt it was presetned to me the exact same way as ever and i was supposed to me enthused? I know there are a bunch of songs hes played every show for 9 years but this is the one that is just :wait::sleep_1: for me, at least live.

COMPLETE OPPOSITE of that, Talk About You! OMG, i didnt even know i loved this song so much. Thats when the show really took off for me and I really got into it. I was jumping and screaming/singing. I was so pumped! It made me soooo excited for the new album and the next tour with NEW SONGS :yes: Other highlights: Underwater with the venue going dark, Love dToday was suuuper fun as always and changed up a bit, and We Are Golden duh.

(edit: oh and DUH, Good Wife! I didnt listen to any of the videos from NY so i could hear it first live and im glad i waited! I laid my head on my arms, closed my eyes and tried to hear it all.... I loved it and cant wait for the album version!)

I love TOOL, but it didnt seem that big to me this time around. I was kind of let down. I love that song live. Maybe it was just me....im jaded.

I was also bummed he didnt do Boum Boum Boum!

But the show was perf, i left sweaty, bruised and pumped!

After the show we ran around trying to find where Mika would come out of. I've met him a few times before but I never waited outside after a show to do so, so that was new and fun for me!

He was super cool and met with everyone, there seemed to be a lot of pople too. And more came while he was already outside! He started with not taking pictures but then ended up taking pictures with like everyone who asked. (i didnt ask, haha)

He made me act a fool by being sweet and remembering me, asking about my tattoo, which is a new thing for me. Like stop. I was sort of prepared and you threw me off, dude. haha :naughty: I ended up hitting him like "oh stop!" and then felt horrified that I did that. I was like " NO, this is terrible! You made me forget what i was going to say!" He just smiled and kind of laughed at me, But it was cool I told him i lost my mind during TAY and a bunch of other useless s**t. Then someone mentioned my Aqua jacket to him, so I showed him and he started talking about Aqua songs that no one else knew. But i was like "dont worry, i know". I got him to sign my Mika Swatch which was cool. But after trying to see how to keep the sig on, i decided t put it back in it's tribal head right when i got home. See you never, watch! :P

Sorry, Im like the only person fangurling about after the show but its only my 3rd time talking to him, so im kind of new to it, and it was cool so im happy! :):mikacool:

Oh and before he came out someone set up a camera and the camera followed him down the line. It was the same camera dude that filmed and interviewed some fans in the queue AND i saw filiming in front of the stage a few times. So i have no idea what that was for. Hope we will see some of that footage!

It was great meeting new fans/MFCers and those I havent seen in a while! (Warning: Cheese) Sivan and Mana, I feel so comfortable with you guys even though like we like never see each other. Thanks for hanging out with me. :pinkbow: hehe

byeeeee

Edited by BangBangLou
  • Like 6

And because we haven't seen him from this side yet.

Blue eyes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AOBPnQwGRiY

More video's from the same user. Quite good sound and lots of talking in between.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AOBPnQwGRiY

Unable to watch the videos on the 2nd link. They're not available in my country.

Oh man, the show was AMAZING!! I lost my mind when he came out on stage. And I even got to meet him (see profile picture). He i so sweet and tall and lovely and I still can not believe any of it happened. 

• Like 2