No Place In Heaven: Chart thread for album and singles

Marilyn Mastin

So apparently what I wrote about 50000 sold copies in France is wrong... It's actually 20000 and he enters the charts at #2 :) They were the one talking about being gold though and gold means 50000 :huh:

I'm not too sure though, I read somewhere that, to be certified gold, 50 000 copies have to be put on shelf without them being necessarily sold... i.e: it counts sales with any format (CD, iTunes, vinyl or whatever) and with the CDs they've put on shelves, it's 50 000 copies that are out there, ready to be sold. So it counts the ones sold and the ones that are ready to be sold.

It's a theory I read somewhere which might be wrong. Just trying to solve the confusion in a certain sense.

Edited by RayaBadran

There's a good review of Mika's performance at BST. I think, on the UK press thread. (My short term memory is getting really bad) but it's somewhere. Very complementary, saying we've missed him. It all helps.

I know he's finished his UK interviews, in person atm, because he's going back to Italy, but he could still do interviews over the phone, and now that the Mika tumble-weed has broken from it's root, it should gather speed as the songs are played and the album gets higher.

I'm not so bothered about the single getting to #1. It's the album that is more important.

If there were enough of us to do it, it might be time to overload @BBCR1 with requests. That's the station that needs to get behind Mika, but may God bless the wonderful @BBCR2 for all the attention, with AOTW) I might ask on the Radio 1 website, and also do a tweet later, but it needs more people doing it, and plenty of re-tweets too.

Here is the radio 1 website. http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1

Marilyn, I know you have good intentions but you are completely wasting your time trying to get Radio 1 to play him.  Have you listened to the sort of music they play now?

I'm not too sure though, I read somewhere that, to be certified gold, 50 000 copies have to be put on shelf without them being necessarily sold... i.e: it counts sales with any format (CD, iTunes, vinyl or whatever) and with the CDs they've put on shelves, it's 50 000 copies that are out there, ready to be sold. So it counts the ones sold and the ones that are ready to be sold.

It's a theory I read somewhere which might be wrong. Just trying to solve the confusion in a certain sense.

Ah that would make sense! Thanks for the explanation :original:

Marilyn, I know you have good intentions but you are completely wasting your time trying to get Radio 1 to play him.  Have you listened to the sort of music they play now?

I know they play rubbish. I'm hoping more people are listening to Radio 2 now and hearing some good stuff (namely Mika) but I had just thought it was worth trying to give them a nudge.

But I agree, it won't work, as there would need to be a lot of people trying, and there isn't. But it was just something I thought was worth a go, while he's talked about in the UK.

Hopefully, his album will do well, without Radio 1,

NPIH debuts on No.6 on Canadian Album Chart(4,400 copies sold). And also debuts on No.117 on Billboard 200(I remember TOOL was debuted on No.47 after released in US ;) ) No.60 on US Top Album Sales Chart(anyone can tell me the difference of Billboard 200 and Top Album Sales Chart in US?? :bleh: ) 

NPIH was sold 50,000 copies worldwide at the moment. :thumb_yello:

Edited by DongDong
  • Like 1

New album chart just released in the UK, No Place In Heaven a new entry at #19.

This is good news, it's possible it could have gone higher, but because it is Glastonbury weekend, a lot of acts get boosted sales from appearing there, so fingers crossed it gets pushed up higher next week.

I'm so glad NPIH is in the top 20 in the UK. That means it will be among the top 20 charts in the stores, so will be more visible. It means people should take more notice of it.

I'm also relieved, because if the album failed in the UK, Mika might not bother with us next time, and I wouldn't blame him for that

They should advertise the album on TV. That would help a lot.

But as the song(s) continue to be played, the album might sell more. I hope so.

I'm very pleased.

• Like 1

I'm so glad NPIH is in the top 20 in the UK. That means it will be among the top 20 charts in the stores, so will be more visible. It means people should take more notice of it.

I'm also relieved, because if the album failed in the UK, Mika might not bother with us next time, and I wouldn't blame him for that

I'm very pleased.

And I'm really happy on your behalf - thing seems to go the right way in the UK!!  :thumb_yello:   :fisch:  Here is nothing - NPIH is not mentioned anywhere, no reviews in the newspapers, no promo, like the alb. wasn't released - I can't believe it... :doh:

I bought my alb. in Denmark, while on holiday - and I love it to bits!! :wub:  :fisch: Really look forward to the ordered deluxe version, which I'll have during next month, acc. to received mail... :teehee:

Love,love

me

Love,love

me

And I'm really happy on your behalf - thing seems to go the right way in the UK!! :thumb_yello::fisch: Here is nothing - NPIH is not mentioned anywhere, no reviews in the newspapers, no promo, like the alb. wasn't released - I can't believe it... :doh:

I bought my alb. in Denmark, while on holiday - and I love it to bits!! :wub::fisch: Really look forward to the ordered deluxe version, which I'll have during next month, acc. to received mail... :teehee:

Love,love

me

Love,love

me

Same here. I'm glad it made the top 20 in the UK! However, here it's down to number 53. I don't hear anything on the radio, no promo here, nada. People don't even know he's alive :(

I thought promo in the UK would help, but maybe I just need to have a little more patience.

Same here. I'm glad it made the top 20 in the UK! However, here it's down to number 53. I don't hear anything on the radio, no promo here, nada. People don't even know he's alive :(

I thought promo in the UK would help, but maybe I just need to have a little more patience.

Yes, it's really uplifting with MIKA in top 20 UK!  :thumb_yello:  It's SO frustrating, this lack of promo and attention, in so many countries !! :sneaky2:  We drove through Holland, stayed two nights in Amsterdam og one night in Deventer, on our way to and from London, by train, from your country. In the car we listened to dutch radio, and I was sure to hear MIKA there, because the new alb. was just released - but NO!  They seemed to play everything, except the best!!  ;) The same in Germany - lots of radiolistening in the car, but no MIKA!! :doh:Today he was in my radio, the biggest radio channel here - but of course, it was again Grace Kelly  on air - it drives me crazy!!  :sneaky2:  For Gods sake - where's NPIH !?! But as you say,  we just have to be a bit patient - and hope for things to change., for the better ... :fisch: 

Love,love

me 

I'm very pleased.

I agree, some advertising would help

I'm very pleased.

I wish they would.

The momentum seems to have just stopped now, TAY isn't on R2s playlist anymore, and doesn't seem to be getting any airplay. Now the album has been featured as their album of the week last week, there isn't any more mention of it.

It really needs ads on tv and on billboards, but I've seen nothing on the way into London.

It worries me that it will just get forgotten. Now would be a great time to bring out the next single, and get him more airplay on the radio, keep the momentum going.

Edited by RAK1
  • Like 1

I wish they would.

The momentum seems to have just stopped now, TAY isn't on R2s playlist anymore, and doesn't seem to be getting any airplay. Now the album has been featured as their album of the week last week, there isn't any more mention of it.

It really needs ads on tv and on billboards, but I've seen nothing on the way into London.

It worries me that it will just get forgotten. Now would be a great time to bring out the next single, and get him more airplay on the radio, keep the momentum going.

This is where they always fall down by choosing duff lead singles.  TAY has had very little airplay really, if Mika wants people to talk about him and buy the album he needs a stronger single.

Back in the day (in Canada anyway) they had to ship 50,000 copies to retail to get the album certified. The record company also had to give assurances to the certifying body that returns were not expected in such numbers that the sales would drop below the certification value. But in this day and age it seems unlikely that there are 30,000 additional physical copies floating around France waiting to be sold from retailers to customers. In Canada for instance, Amazon is not even stocking the album, you can only buy imported copies. I live right in the middle of Toronto and the only retailer left is HMV. They have a handful of copies in all of Toronto and I expect there are a few hundred in Quebec and that's it.

This is where they always fall down by choosing duff lead singles.  TAY has had very little airplay really, if Mika wants people to talk about him and buy the album he needs a stronger single.

I strongly agree. It was a bad choice, when you hear the other songs.

I hoped it would continue to be played on the radio though. If it doesn't get any more play, the song and the album, won't get any higher.