Listening Session in Milan - 9 June 2015

mari62

Contest by Mika Italia:

Can't you wait for Mika's new album?

10 lucky fans will have a chance to listen to a sneak preview of 'No Place In Heaven' at Universal Music Italia's.

Non riuscite ad attendere l'uscita del nuovo disco di MIKA? 10 fortunati fra voi, estratti a caso, potranno ascoltare "No Place In Heaven" in anteprima Martedì 9 Giugno presso gli uffici di Universal Music Italia. 

https://www.facebook.com/mikasounds/posts/10153024725253040

Today I received the mail :wub:  so tomorrow I'll listen the album with other 9 lucky people. 

I'll take some notes and I'll write a report about it.

Wish me luck :teehee:

WOW! That's great! Good luck! Have a wonderful time!

Today was a very relaxed listening session with some moments when we laughed a lot :teehee:

I'll write a proper report I promise but since tomorrow there will be the Fabrique gig and my exam tomorrow morning, you'll have to wait until Thursday/Friday to read something good

By the way, the album is very full of surprises: you'll be pleased I think about his new work... We listened just 13 songs not the whole album, 

1. Talk About You
  2. All She Wants
  3. Last Party
  4. Good Guys
  5. Oh Girl You’re the Devil
  6. No Place In Heaven
  7. Staring At the Sun
  8. Hurts
  9. Good Wife
  10. Rio
  11. Ordinary Man
  12. Promiseland
  13. J’ai pas envie

For now I can say that the songs are very danceable, pop, fresh, most with a summerish style, I think that every songs could be put on radio as single. There are few songs with just his voice and the piano and the lyrics are very deep... My favourites are Hurts and Oh Girl you're the devil in addition to those that we already know.

See ya in a couple of days with a proper and detailed report.

Edited by Lucrezia
  • Like 7

In Italy there will be 3 version!

If i remember well:

The cheapest, simple box, with just 11 tracks, cover with armpit pose, avalaible only in Autogrill (motorway gas station bar).

Truckers let's go!!! All the truckers will dance and Mika, after having said, in several tv interviews, that Autogrill Lasagne are bad finally has reconciled with Autogrill.

The version Lucrezia described with some other few bonus track, cover with gondolier shirt and retractable belly pose, booklet with lyrics, avalaible only in Mediaworld store.

Probably you can buy this version the day of the launch during the signing session near Bergamo (and of course in all Mediaworld/Saturn stores).

The deluxe version, i did not understand the difference, maybe the box is bigger. Maybe the starving gondolier pose in the cover. I suppose there is all the bonus tracks. Avalaible in all music shops.

So, italian fans, open your wallet or purse and buy, buy, buy :punk:

Edited by allegra
  • Like 1

On Tuesday, June 9, I had the opportunity to take part with 9 other people to the listening session for the new album of Mika, titled "No Place In Heaven", through a competition organized by Universal Music and Mika Italia in which you had to create a picture that represents to best the album title. So, armed with a notebook to take some notes and from my usual anxiety and curiosity I went around 4.30pm to the gray big building all-mirrors of Universal Music in Milan.

When I arrived at the entrance I had a flashback to a story that Mika told during the interview at Che Tempo Che Fa last week . To make you short, at age of 13 he went around London trying to make listen to his music to record companies and one day, after being left by his mother several hours in front of the record company, he managed to convince a secretary to listen to her single, floor by floor, passing always from one reception to another, he managed to reach the office of the director even if the latter, listening to his music drove him away. Well, that afternoon I had the same feeling! I went from doorman who asked where I had to go up to the reception on the ground floor asking us if we had an appointment and our names to alert the top floor of our arrival to the secretaries of the second floor where there is the headquarters of universal music. Once they assured theirself of being the winners, they told us to wait in the waiting room where there were already other fans prizewinning very excited about what was happening ...

Looking around I realize I'm right in the middle of the music, the beating heart of where it all takes shape: the walls were coverd by hundreds of posters, certificates of gold records, hardbacks size of each band, international singer and not the famous blackboard where someone left their signature (including Mika) and finally a shiny black piano completed the scene.

Around about 17:00 the manager of Universal Music make us sit in a meeting room... in front of this huge rectangular table there is a screen with a still image on the protagonist of this day, Mika! We take a seat and the listening has officially started! First of all, they deliver to us a colored folder with inside the tracklist of the album of Mika with some little stars on their side. The manager tell us that we should listen to each song and give a summary analysis with a score from 1 to 5 (it's not easy!!!). Then, the big surprise: not being able to attend Mika wanted to send a message to the people present at the listening session so before we started listening to the songs, it was only right to hear what he had to say ... So the still image comes to life and Mika with a strong English accent spoken in Italian apologizing for not being present at the listening and praying us to be good with the judgments he present the new album and while he was grinning, he said that we had even a place in heaven; P

After this pleasant surprise we begin to listen to the songs.

The first one is All She Wants, the rhythm is very 70s and it takes you directly to the first chorus without even realizing it. In the mid of it the rhythm changes and becomes slower and then again break into a new female chorus that repeats the title over and over again. It's a song that sticks immediately in your head and even from the first listen you find yourself humming the chorus. Very nice indeed.

The next two, Talk About You and Good Guys, we all know very good so I don't say anything more. They're the same as the ones we listened until now.

No Place In Heaven is in brief a prayer offered to God. He asks to go into heaven as with the sins that he accomplished in his life he's sure that there is no place for him.  Well the rhythm is slower and for the entire song I expected a musical surprise but nothing happened... the sound is very linear and pure, his voice clear, the chorus is not marked as the other songs. Sincerely, I wait to hear it again in order to understand better the melody.

Staring At The Sun, well it's one of my favourite: it has a summerish rhythm with guitar chords that are repeated throughout the whole piece. The falsetto appears for the first time and I am very happy that he kept so clean without too many changes. For a moment, you're catapulted into another world, you can imagine yourself in a beach while you're watching the sunrise thinking about the one you love that is away from you, but at the same time is under the same sky. It's a piece very romantic.

Last Party... well what can I say?! It's pure art and we all know it

Hurts, the lyrics are very deep and the song begins with just the piano and his voice to end in a whispered chorus.

The chorus is clear and it's repeated a lot "I can’t I can’t stop hearing all the words you said"... It's like Over My Shoulder... a wail of a person in love with broken heart and it's heartbreaking.

Oh Girl You're The Devil, well it's the most fun song of the entire album. The rhythm is so catchy and then there's a part where you'll listen the baritone voice of Mika  :teehee: I danced on the chair while I was listening to it.  It's so funny and strange! I loved it since the first seconds... When you'll have the album, listen this one for first: you'll be surprised!

Promisland and J’ai pas envie were like a real bonus 'cause the listening session was only for 11 songs but since we were good and in a very good mood, they decided to stretch a little more our meeting. And they did well! Promisland is a little piece of art! The rhythm, the lyrics are just perfect in their weirdness.

J'ai pas envie is a portal to the France of the 50s, you can imagine yourself in a Paris bistro with classical French music while you savor a good wine and good cheese. It's the first time that I like at first listen a french song :teehee:

At the end, we each gave a brief commentary and a rating from 1 to 10 to the entire album: the average was 7/8 out of 10.... my vote was a 8/10 just because I want to listen again all the album before give a sincere opinion about it but from wat I listened it's so good! I think that everyone would love it, it's one of his best album.

Edited by Lucrezia
  • Like 1