There’s no place in heaven for someone like me

Won’t you open the door and try me once more

'Cause there’s no place in heaven for someone like me

Oh I’m down on my knees
I’m begging you please

There’s no place in heaven for someone like me

There’s no place in heaven for me

• Like 10

Totally agree with you Christine about the "every love I had to hide".

I love the song and as a Christian I find it especially powerful.

Very proud that he wrote such a song.

I wanted to write that I regret a bit that the lyrics are too repetitiv, but I looked at them one more time (thanks Deb!) and finally, no, it's fine like that for me  :wink2:

• Like 2

I think it could be "In between us an ocean can be found", but thank you for the lyrics!!

It's definitely "A solution can be found", but i think Mika should have consulted you for that sentence... yours would make sense  :naughty:

• Like 1

I haven't heard it yet (saving myself as much as possible for the CD experience), but just reading these lyrics hit me as hard as listening to Grace Kelly the first time. Like a hammer. I'll spare y'all as to why, but just WOW.

• Like 1

This is so sad. Beautiful plaintive lyrics.

If I get to Heaven before Mika (which I should as I'm 60) I'll check out his mansion. Make sure it's on schedule.

He's definitely going to Heaven, for what kind of place would it be, if someone such as Mika, with his beautiful soul, couldn't go there?

I think it's disgusting, the way the church treats anyone who is gay, What right have they to say who gets to go to Heaven?

It's one of the reasons Alan and I have dropped out of organised religion. The last church we went to had a pastor who was so homophobic, it was  terrible. Alan and I stuck up for gay people and he didn't like us doing that, so we said <blankety-blank> to him and every other pompous, stuck-up homophobic preacher. We don't regret leaving organised religion. Not for one moment.

We've actually learned more, from our own independent studies and are sure that God approves. 

Edited by Marilyn Mastin
  • Like 5

songs like this are the reason he's been one of my favorite artists for so long. It's my favorite one in the album (well, for now at least) idk its just. everything about this song reminds me of how he was one of my biggest influences at my early teen years and he taught me so much about acceptance and being different and im just so proud of him for writing these words and letting the world listen to them 

• Like 2

"For every love I had to hide" is especially sad.

I agree. I was able to get most of the lyrics (which shocked me cause I usually can't) and that very line touched me, along with "I was a freak since seven years old and cast away I felt the cold coming over me". 

No it's ocean.

It's kind of interesting to me seeing how English can be tricky even to native speakers. 

• Like 1

One thing is strange to me:

If you listen to the track-by-track video he did for Italy (thanks Sub Team), he explains that the song No Place in Heaven is about him not being worried about "going to heaven", because here on earth is great for him.

This is absolutely not the feeling I get from the song (especially from the lyrics), it seems to me that he is begging to enter to heaven and hoping that God (and Church, and others, ...) change His mind about homosexuality. 

The feeling I got from the song is that he is suffering from the situation (which is also what he let understand in this conversation with Dario Fo last year), not that he doesn't care. 

My guess is that he was maybe talking more about the album as a whole in the video, and not specifically about the song. What do you think?

• Like 6

One thing is strange to me:

If you listen to the track-by-track video he did for Italy (thanks Sub Team), he explains that the song No Place in Heaven is about him not being worried about "going to heaven", because here on earth is great for him.

This is absolutely not the feeling I get from the song (especially from the lyrics), it seems to me that he is begging to enter to heaven and hoping that God (and Church, and others, ...) change His mind about homosexuality. 

The feeling I got from the song is that he is suffering from the situation (which is also what he let understand in this conversation with Dario Fo last year), not that he doesn't care. 

My guess is that he was maybe talking more about the album as a whole in the video, and not specifically about the song. What do you think?

I still need to see that video, plus the press conference one, so I'm just guessing here: maybe the lyrics refer to how he used to feel back in the day. 

I'm at my third listening and I'm really liking this one :cheer:

Edited by Elwendin
  • Like 1

I still need to see that video, plus the press conference one, so I'm just guessing here: maybe the lyrics refer to how he used to feel back in the day. 

Yes, that's what I think too, but it's strange because there is no "twist" at the end of the song to say "I changed my mind now", and Mika himself doesn't explain it when presenting the song.

But I think the song is very powerful the way it is, it will help many people to know that they are not alone feeling like that.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this song. It's the third time I'm listening to it and I'm still crying. The lyrics are heartbreaking and very "heart on the sleeve", especially this part

I was a freak since seven years old
And cast away I felt the cold
Coming over me
For every love I had to hide
And every tear I ever cried
I’m down on my knees
I’m begging you please

it saddens me so much, I can almost feel his struggle. It makes me think about the conversation he had with Dario Fo last year, when he said he has grown up in a religious family but always felt like he was wrong because that's what the religion says. And (I apologise if this may sound unpolite to all the religious people here) I'm happy he eventually learnt not to care about it and to live his life freely, following his own happiness with the awareness he's doing nothing wrong.
  • Like 5

Maybe the lyrics refer to how he used to feel back in the day. 

it just occured to me what he said in Fabrique: 

"Now that we set it straight that there's no place in heaven for me, and not even for my friends (meaning the audience): you're here, this is not the purgatory. This is MY HOME. "

If NOW God and him settled on that, it implies that this agreement is recent and things were different back in the day. 

Edited by Elwendin

it just occured to me what he said in Fabrique: 

"Now that we set it straight that there's no place in heaven for me, and not even for my friends (meaning the audience): you're here, this is not the purgatory. This is MY HOME. "

If NOW God and him settled on that, it implies that this agreement is recent and things were different back in the day. 

Yeah I thought about it too!  :)

It's kind of interesting to me seeing how English can be tricky even to native speakers. 

I don't think it's peculiar to the English language or being a native speaker (of any language) but sometimes you hear something wrong for some reason and it's very difficult to unhear it. I always hear "coming to shag me" when Mika sings the French version of Grace Kelly. :naughty:

And (I apologise if this may sound unpolite to all the religious people here) I'm happy he eventually learnt not to care about it and to live his life freely, following his own happiness with the awareness he's doing nothing wrong.

Yes I personally found it such a huge relief when he finally came out publicly I can't imagine what it was like for him. Watching him dodge and divert from the gay question and trying to hide his relationship even from people they were around every day was so sad to me. And it made me very frustrated with fans who sort of encouraged that secrecy/denial for their own comfort. The movement is called "pride" for a reason and if members of the LGBT community feel shame for themselves then sadly society will happily go along with it and continue enforcing that shame. It is heartbreaking that anyone has to grow up with that. It must be very difficult to break free of those shackles especially if you fear it will jeopardize your relationship with god or your family or ruin your career.

• Like 4

I don't think it's peculiar to the English language 

I have the feeling that this is not so frequent in Italian, for instance. I think words are somehow more defined, as we pronounce every single letter. Of course, misunderstandings can happen, but not that often. I only recall myself having argued about a line of an italian song once (and I was right :biggrin2: )

I always hear "coming to shag me" when Mika sings the French version of Grace Kelly.  :naughty:

:lmfao:

I always hear "on a silver bladder" instead of platter...... 

Yes I personally found it such a huge relief when he finally came out publicly I can't imagine what it was like for him. Watching him dodge and divert from the gay question and trying to hide his relationship even from people they were around every day was so sad to me. And it made me very frustrated with fans who sort of encouraged that secrecy/denial for their own comfort. The movement is called "pride" for a reason and if members of the LGBT community feel shame for themselves then sadly society will happily go along with it and continue enforcing that shame. It is heartbreaking that anyone has to grow up with that. It must be very difficult to break free of those shackles especially if you fear it will jeopardize your relationship with god or your family or ruin your career.

This is pretty much my thought as well and I'm happy he talked about this in the main song of the album.

I think this is why the lyrics are about how he used to feel and don't mention that he has come around this huge issue: those feelings were much more intense and hard that deserve something on their own. 

Geez, I'm so struggling today to throw a few words together. I can't speak my mind clearly. I'm feeling like I'm 8. Duh.

Edited by Elwendin
  • Like 1

I always hear "coming to shag me" when Mika sings the French version of Grace Kelly. :naughty:

I've always heard something REALLY inappropriate at the end of the first verse of Blue Eyes. I won't say what it is, but you can probably tell what I'm talking about... Ahaha... :naughty:

Edited by ItsMichaeeel
  • Like 1

Oh and I forgot to add I too think it's ''in between us an ocean can be found'' since he then says ''how long will I swim before I drown''

Edited by Alyara
  • Like 1

songs like this are the reason he's been one of my favorite artists for so long. It's my favorite one in the album (well, for now at least) idk its just. everything about this song reminds me of how he was one of my biggest influences at my early teen years and he taught me so much about acceptance and being different and im just so proud of him for writing these words and letting the world listen to them 

I agree with you about so much of this. I was thinking today that I first heard MIKA in 2007, the summer before I started secondary school. Now, as I'm about to move on to university, he's releasing his fourth album, and I'm still in love with his music (and more besides! :P ) .

This song is one of my favourites from the new record so far, and reminds me how far he's come since the LICM days. He still has the catchy, joyful yet tragic melody to his music, but now writes about genuine matters close to his heart rather than having to hide behind cartoon characters.

Edited by Ellenowl
  • Like 1

I'd love to hear the full songs. I don't know where to go to hear them though. I've only heard the snippets that were removed after a day or so.

I wondered this for a while. About 6 are still up there on YouTube if you search 'mika Rio' then click on the user to get the others. They don't sound too sped up/slowed down either- so I doubt they'll stay!