No Place in Heaven - Lyrics & Discussion

dcdeb

This song is very beautiful. The idea to "tell" a preach is very emotional.

Honnestly, I had a little trouble on the verses. But more I listen, more I love ! The chorus is so beautiful and strong ! In particular when he say for the second time "no place in heaven", and he cut the last word. :wub:

• Like 1

It's the third time I'm listening to it and I'm still crying. 

At first I've listened to it thinking about gays' issues and I got very emotional but I didn't cry cause it's not something I experienced, even if I do understand how deep that pain can be. 

Now it occured to me that it that most of these lyrics can apply to children looking for adoption. I attended a course on that topic, and some lines are totally fitting to their pain. There, I cried. 

• Like 2

I've always heard something REALLY inappropriate at the end of the first verse of Blue Eyes. I won't say what it is, but you can probably tell what I'm talking about... Ahaha... :naughty:

We have a special thread for misheard lyrics :naughty: 

• Like 1

I've always heard something REALLY inappropriate at the end of the first verse of Blue Eyes. I won't say what it is, but you can probably tell what I'm talking about... Ahaha... :naughty:

I hear that too, I sometimes wonder if he pronounced it that ambiguously on purpose :naughty:

To stay on topic, my first time hearing the lyrics I felt like it didn't quite move me as I personally am not religious, but later I found myself crying while listening to it. He makes the topic approachable and relatable for anyone. I love the piano and melody as well. I feel like I'm saying that about basically every song on the album, but it's true.

• Like 2

No it's ocean.

Yes, it is. I've listened again with my headphones and I'm sure you're right.

One thing is strange to me:

If you listen to the track-by-track video he did for Italy (thanks Sub Team), he explains that the song No Place in Heaven is about him not being worried about "going to heaven", because here on earth is great for him.

This is absolutely not the feeling I get from the song (especially from the lyrics), it seems to me that he is begging to enter to heaven and hoping that God (and Church, and others, ...) change His mind about homosexuality. 

The feeling I got from the song is that he is suffering from the situation (which is also what he let understand in this conversation with Dario Fo last year), not that he doesn't care. 

My guess is that he was maybe talking more about the album as a whole in the video, and not specifically about the song. What do you think?

Yes, I think that's right, Melanie. The idea of being happy with where he is the concept behind the whole album, I think. This song on its own is a plea for understanding and acceptance from the Church, but I think overall, he's now unapologetic about who he is and as he has said in many interviews, he's content to think that if there's "no place in heaven" he's fine with that.

• Like 2

I put this one to the best quality songs on the album (together with Good Wife). It's such a great and extremely sad song. He sounds so vulnerable. I never thought he could sound like this. So incredibly serious song. Not as addictive as Promiseland but very "balanced". Is there any information who are his co-writers for every song? I have my album digital and my physical copy hasn't arrived yet. 

• Like 1

Yes, I think that's right, Melanie. The idea of being happy with where he is the concept behind the whole album, I think. This song on its own is a plea for understanding and acceptance from the Church, but I think overall, he's now unapologetic about who he is and as he has said in many interviews, he's content to think that if there's "no place in heaven" he's fine with that.

I think the whole album is extremely sad. No matter where he is now (and even he seems to be fine with the situation now) it's obvious the path there wasn't easy. 

I think the whole album is extremely sad. No matter where he is now (and even he seems to be fine with the situation now) it's obvious the path there wasn't easy. 

And that's what MIKA also has told us, all the way, throughout the years  ;)  That music helped him to solve all his difficulties, and survive! :( Our lovely, and brave good guy ... :wub:  

Love,love

me 

Imo, these new song lyrics from MIKA seem to be extremely clever!  :thumb_yello: Thank you all for sharing - now I really can't wait any longer to hold the alb. in my hands!! :)  I'm on holiday the coming two weeks, down Europe, but I'll buy one piece,  as soon as I can find it in a music shop... :fisch:  :wub:    

Love,love

me

• Like 1

Imo, these new song lyrics from MIKA seem to be extremely clever!  :thumb_yello: Thank you all for sharing - now I really can't wait any longer to hold the alb. in my hands!! :)  I'm on holiday the coming two weeks, down Europe, but I'll buy one piece,  as soon as I can find it in a music shop... :fisch:  :wub:    

Love,love

me

Isn't the album going to be sold in your country? When you buy it , chose the Deluxe , as the lyrics are not in the other version..there are more Mika pics in the other one though...

Isn't the album going to be sold in your country? When you buy it , chose the Deluxe , as the lyrics are not in the other version..there are more Mika pics in the other one though...

Oh yes, the alb. should be out here on the 15th - but then I leave the country. I've ordered the Deluxe version, but this will be delayed, and delivered mid July. We also get the songs on Spotify, but I'll buy the alb. asap next week :) Anyway, it's so great to read the lyrics here so early, and have the understanding and opinions about it, from many MFCers ...:)

Love,love

me

• Like 1

I put this one to the best quality songs on the album (together with Good Wife). It's such a great and extremely sad song. He sounds so vulnerable. I never thought he could sound like this. So incredibly serious song. Not as addictive as Promiseland but very "balanced". Is there any information who are his co-writers for every song? I have my album digital and my physical copy hasn't arrived yet.

I don't have the physical copy either. I was hoping someone might scan the booklet so we could see the credits. But I guess we just have to wait a few more days.

It's interesting that you mention the whole album being sad, because (Disregarding The Origin of Love which is in the middle in my opinion) 3 of his 4 albums can be viewed as rather depressing in general, depending on what lens you view it through.

But for me, this is the only one that is very obviously and overtly sad; The Boy Who Knew Too Much and Life in Cartoon Motion are both layered with subtext that requires you to know about MIKA to really pick up on alot of the "true" meaning.

It took me a number of listens to really "get" TBWKTM, but this album just hit me right in the face, it was hard not to be on the verge of tears several times during my first listen.

Then again, he is out, and he wasn't for the first two, so that may be the biggest part of it.

I don't have the physical copy either. I was hoping someone might scan the booklet so we could see the credits. But I guess we just have to wait a few more days.

I've made pictures of the credits in the booklet and posted them here: http://www.mikafanclub.com/topic/31695-album-news-no-place-in-heaven-to-be-released-1516-june-2015/page-12#entry4006075

These are the writers for all the songs:

Writers of each song:

Talk About You: MIKA, Johan Carlsson, Ross Golan, Danio Farina, Enzo Ghinazzi, Daniele Pace, Michael Edwin Hawker & Ivor Raymond.

All She Wants: MIKA, James Bauer-Mein & David Sneddon.

Last Party: MIKA, Matt Hales & Teemu Brunila.

Good Guys: MIKA & Skyler Stonestreet.

Oh Girl, You're The Devil: MIKA, Clarence Coffe Jr & Greg Wells.

No Place In Heaven: MIKA, Clarence Coffe Jr & Rob Wells

Staring At The Sun: MIKA, Wayne Hector, Allesandro "alle" Benassi & Mario "Benny" Benassi.

Hurts: MIKA, James Bauer-Mein & David Sneddon.

Good Wife: MIKA, James Bauer-Mein & David Sneddon.

Rio: MIKA, Nina Woodford, Jarad Kritzstein & Kerry "Krucial" Brothers.

Ordinary Man: MIKA, Skyler Stonestreet & Gustave Rudman.

Promiseland: MIKA, Skyler Stonestreet & Christopher J. Baran.

Porcelain: MIKA, Teemu Brunila, Jori Sjoroos, Joe Khadajourian & Alex Schwartz.

L'Amour Fait Ce Qu'il Veut: MIKA, Doriand.

• Like 1

I've made pictures of the credits in the booklet and posted them here: http://www.mikafanclub.com/topic/31695-album-news-no-place-in-heaven-to-be-released-1516-june-2015/page-12#entry4006075

These are the writers for all the songs:

Thank you!!! For some reason my quote doesn't include the names. Anyone knows the writer behind NPIH? And how much I love seeing Teemu Brunila there, that tiny connection to my country (doesn't happen often!). 

When I listened to this song for the first time and the lyrics reached the "for every love I had to hide" part I felt so unbelievably sad. The very thought of him being denied of something like heaven for being gay is just unacceptable. I don't believe in any kind of afterlife or religion at all but the concept of heaven can mean a place that is safe and everything that is good generally. Having said that I guess the lyrics can refer to every obstacle a gay person have to face nowadays for being who they are. Or to anything that a person is made to be ashamed of by society, really, as we are constantly begging for acceptance in this world. It's not a god that denies people of freedom, people do it to others. It's such a moving song with strong lyrics and a beautiful musical background and I think it will mean a lot to listeners, regardless of everything.

• Like 3

Thank you!!! For some reason my quote doesn't include the names. Anyone knows the writer behind NPIH? And how much I love seeing Teemu Brunila there, that tiny connection to my country (doesn't happen often!). 

I thought what they meant was if someone actually knew any of their previous works?

I found this while googling Clarence Coffe Jr: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_and_the_Strangerz

And this is Rob Wells: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Wells

But I personally wasn't familiar with their names before.

I thought what they meant was if someone actually knew any of their previous works?

I found this while googling Clarence Coffe Jr: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Monsters_and_the_Strangerz

Rob Wells is Greg Wells' brother

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I'm especially curious about this song because it's somehow the strongest song on the album (though it's not my only personal favorite of course). 

One thing is strange to me:

If you listen to the track-by-track video he did for Italy (thanks Sub Team), he explains that the song No Place in Heaven is about him not being worried about "going to heaven", because here on earth is great for him.

This is absolutely not the feeling I get from the song (especially from the lyrics), it seems to me that he is begging to enter to heaven and hoping that God (and Church, and others, ...) change His mind about homosexuality. 

The feeling I got from the song is that he is suffering from the situation (which is also what he let understand in this conversation with Dario Fo last year), not that he doesn't care. 

My guess is that he was maybe talking more about the album as a whole in the video, and not specifically about the song. What do you think?

my impression is that in speech he's used to say a lot of different things, many of which are in justaposition with each other, while in his songs he actually pours out his deeper feelings and his soul.

People often make a show of indifference in order to hide their most intimate state and protect themselves from what the others could say.

I think this song has a great meaning, it is a very beautiful prayer, and can help a lot of people express what they feel towards God no matter what their religion is. 

• Like 3

This is definetly my favorite song of this album.  Tho i have heard it only twice.  When i heard it first time.. his voice and the lyrcis. It just made me so sad. So when i finished listening to the album first time, that was the song i wanted to hear again. Don't get me wrong, I love all the songs in the album but npih have this something....  :wub:

This is definetly my favorite song of this album. Tho i have heard it only twice. When i heard it first time.. his voice and the lyrcis. It just made me so sad. So when i finished listening to the album first time, that was the song i wanted to hear again. Don't get me wrong, I love all the songs in the album but npih have this something.... :wub:

Same for me!