MIKA in UK & Ireland Press - 2015

dcdeb

I'm hoping someone here has a subscription to the Sun:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/6497942/Mika-I-wanted-to-keep-the-weird-little-mistakes.html

If it's already been posted, I haven't seen it, sorry.

And I've started the thread in the hopes that there will be more to come soon, with the BST Festival and album release in the UK next week! :thumb_yello:

• Like 2

I'm hoping someone here has a subscription to the Sun:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/6497942/Mika-I-wanted-to-keep-the-weird-little-mistakes.html

If it's already been posted, I haven't seen it, sorry.

And I've started the thread in the hopes that there will be more to come soon, with the BST Festival and album release in the UK next week! :thumb_yello:

They are going to announce the X Factor UK judges on TV in a few minutes. My heart is pounding. I'll post what they say and if Mika is doing it, when I find out.

This is good though. Anything in the UK, about Mika, is brilliant.

Edit: He's not a judge. I hope he's got something better for the UK up his sleeve

I don't have a subscription to The Sun, so I don't know what it says yet.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

Here's an item from The Scotsman today. Couldn't copy and paste it, so I screen-capped it below.

http://www.pressreader.com/uk/the-scotsman/20150620/283399125434352/TextView

Looks like she gave it two stars.

Typical UK review. The rest of the world is raving about Mika's new album.

It could be a worse review, but also, could be much much better.

I hope there will be more press in the UK. More positive press though.

From the Irish Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/mika-no-place-in-heaven-album-review-1.2254687

Mika has been busy over the last few years, with roles as a judge on The X Factor Italy, a coach on The Voice in France, and a collaborator with fashion house Valentino – but has it been at the expense of musical progression?

Much of his fourth album sounds like recycled versions of what came before, the same upbeat harmonies and stomping, radio-friendly pop riffs flooding the tracklist but often sounding like throwaway musical theatre numbers.

There is the odd glimpse of his songwriting capacity on the Rufus Wainwright-esque Ordinary Man and the danceable Staring at the Sun, but it is outweighed by fluff and glibness.

Mika has the tools to craft top-notch pop music, but this unchallenging collection sounds more like a missed opportunity.

• Like 1

The Times has given the album 2 stars, but you have to have a subscription to read the review ....

Yes, here's the link:

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/style/living/article1571258.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2015_06_20

And the first few paragraphs at least...

All about Mika
The noughties pop star Mika is back with a new album. He talks suits, songs and his sister’s horrific accident
Louis Wise 

Yes, yes, Mika! You remember: he of Grace Kelly fame, the living, singing, 6ft-something cartoon with an exhausting several-octave range. This quite unclassifiable pop star — half-American, half-Lebanese, but educated in France and then west London — burst through in 2007 with his multimillion-selling album Life in Cartoon Motion. He is still going, thank you, with a new album about to be released, but in the meantime he has been patiently sitting things out in his sun-flecked garden in Chelsea, as pop goes through a particularly boring, beige phase. In the late Noughties, music was a bit mouthier, messier, more berserk, wasn’t it? Lily Allen, Amy Winehouse, Lady Gaga...

“It was more daring,” says the man born Michael Penniman, sitting on one of two plush garden sofas. Now 31, he is wearing a T-shirt, trainers and chinos decorated with teeny-tiny tennis racquets. Now and again, one of his two golden retrievers wanders in....

From the Irish Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/mika-no-place-in-heaven-album-review-1.2254687

Mika has been busy over the last few years, with roles as a judge on The X Factor Italy, a coach on The Voice in France, and a collaborator with fashion house Valentino – but has it been at the expense of musical progression?

Much of his fourth album sounds like recycled versions of what came before, the same upbeat harmonies and stomping, radio-friendly pop riffs flooding the tracklist but often sounding like throwaway musical theatre numbers.

There is the odd glimpse of his songwriting capacity on the Rufus Wainwright-esque Ordinary Man and the danceable Staring at the Sun, but it is outweighed by fluff and glibness.

Mika has the tools to craft top-notch pop music, but this unchallenging collection sounds more like a missed opportunity.

Does anyone else get the feeling this reviewer read the Scotsman review but didnt actually listen to the album? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I partially agree with the review on Irish Times, of course I like the album though.... There are many expressions MIKA used in the previous songs, and I know those are the words he really feels all the time.

Anyway, thanks for the links that I can read them issued out of Japan.

mika from tokyo

UK seems surprisingly ungenerous to Mika's music... while other parts of Europe and Asian countries are so into him :dunno:  

UK press represents a perspective of mainstream as US but not as tolerant as US, his music is not the type of commercial music to be heard and hits the headline of all kinds of magazines. I consider it a quite good thing that he's not becoming a celebrity like Taylor Swift or Usher, those who are more like a entertainer than a music worker. And in Asia it's the same that he's not part of the mainstream, just an International musician liked by lots of Radio DJs and musicians who tell the difference between songs. And I'm willing to say he's being 'professional' as a musician. The environment provides freedom and more space to him which gives him the opportunity to keep being himself, but not giving in to the cruel world like many others.

Edited by snowli

Does anyone else get the feeling this reviewer read the Scotsman review but didnt actually listen to the album? :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I partially agree with the review on Irish Times, of course I like the album though.... There are many expressions MIKA used in the previous songs, and I know those are the words he really feels all the time.

Anyway, thanks for the links that I can read them issued out of Japan.

mika from tokyo

Yes the Irish and the Scottish reviews are similar. It's what we've come to expect from the UK. One thing I do agree with though, Mika needs a good lyric writer to work with him. Often his lyrics fall short. Not all the time, like with Heroes on the last album, and Good Wife on this album, those stories are good. The lyrics really resonate. But there are songs where the lyrics could be better.

Another thing I kind-of agree with, but it's Mika's choice to do these things, is that he tends to have his fingers in too many pies and leaves not enough time for touring or concentrating on his music. I may be being hypocritical, because I would have love him to do UK X Factor, but that is because I wish UK could get to know the Mika we all know. They'd love his smile and his speaking voice. But when I heard he wasn't doing UKXF, I became relieved, because there has been a backlash in the UK, over the judges, and if Mika had been  chosen, they'd have slated him too. I would bet on it.

But with these reviews, I wonder if they've heard the same album as the rest of the world! It doesn't seem like it.

But who can blame Mika not bothering with the UK, when he gets no respect here.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin
  • Like 4

UK press represents a perspective of mainstream as US but not as tolerant as US, his music is not the type of commercial music to be heard and hits the headline of all kinds of magazines. I consider it a quite good thing that he's not becoming a celebrity like Taylor Swift or Usher, those who are more like a entertainer than a music worker. And in Asia it's the same that he's not part of the mainstream, just an International musician liked by lots of Radio DJs and musicians who tell the difference between songs. And I'm willing to say he's being 'professional' as a musician. The environment provides freedom and more space to him which gives him the opportunity to keep being himself, but not giving in to the cruel world like many others.

I'm happy he's not like Taylor swift and Usher or other musicians who is actually getting lots of help getting fame from gossip pages.

Yes the Irish and the Scottish reviews are similar. It's what we've come to expect from the UK. One thing I do agree with though, Mika needs a good lyric writer to work with him. Often his lyrics fall short. Not all the time, like with Heroes on the last album, and Good Wife on this album, those stories are good. The lyrics really resonate. But there are songs where the lyrics could be better.

Another thing I kind-of agree with, but it's Mika's choice to do these things, is that he tends to have his fingers in too many pies and leaves not enough time for touring or concentrating on his music. I may be being hypocritical, because I would have love him to do UK X Factor, but that is because I wish UK could get to know the Mika we all know. They'd love his smile and his speaking voice. But when I heard he wasn't doing UKXF, I became relieved, because there has been a backlash in the UK, over the judges, and if Mika had been  chosen, they'd have slated him too. I would bet on it.

But with these reviews, I wonder if they've heard the same album as the rest of the world! It doesn't seem like it.

But who can blame Mika not bothering with the UK, when he gets no respect here.

I agree on your idea that the lyrics could be a bit better in some songs - for example, Good Guys, which sounds one of best on his album but the lyrics itself is dull a bit.. and some songs, the quotes repeat too much. 

Also agree on the quote "fingers in too many pies", maybe because I don't like Xfactor-ish audition shows, partly because I hate the concept of the shows judging someone's talent in very instant and show-biz way, the other part because we all know that Mika should be distracted too much to only concentrate on his music... well anyways M said on couple of interviews that he could get kind of good energy and inspirations to make himself get into songwriting again...so can not blame it on that much... More time doesn't guarantee good quality music of course... Anyway I wished to see Mika being on same stage with Simon,  :naughty: (maybe I'm kinda fan of him!)) half good half bad actually. For me actually, if M should feature in one audition show, hope it should be UK one. (not only because I understand English only, not French or Italian...  :mf_rosetinted: )

His album will be out tomorrow in UK, so let's see how things will go. I think it should go well, much better than TOOL at least. 

Edited by Yuna

I'm happy he's not like Taylor swift and Usher or other musicians who is actually getting lots of help getting fame from gossip pages.

I agree on your idea that the lyrics could be a bit better in some songs - for example, Good Guys, which sounds one of best on his album but the lyrics itself is dull a bit.. and some songs, the quotes repeat too much. 

Also agree on the quote "fingers in too many pies", maybe because I don't like Xfactor-ish audition shows, partly because I hate the concept of the shows judging someone's talent in very instant and show-biz way, the other part because we all know that Mika should be distracted too much to only concentrate on his music... well anyways M said on couple of interviews that he could get kind of good energy and inspirations to make himself get into songwriting again...so can not blame it on that much... More time doesn't guarantee good quality music of course... Anyway I wished to see Mika being on same stage with Simon,  :naughty: (maybe I'm kinda fan of him!)) half good half bad actually. For me actually, if M should feature in one audition show, hope it should be UK one. (not only because I understand English only, not French or Italian...  :mf_rosetinted: )

His album will be out tomorrow in UK, so let's see how things will go. I think it should go well, much better than TOOL at least. 

Since Mika signed up for the talent shows, a few years ago, I have, mostly supported him, because it was his choice. I always reasoned that everything he does will get him known and sell his music.

But when he signed up for Italian X Factor again, towards the end of last year, I nearly left the fandom. I thought of another year of nothing in the UK and only foreign interviews and publicity. I came back on MFC when he was about to do the Montreal Orchestral gigs, and got excited again.

I know he says that the reality talent shows have been good for him, and they do seem to have given him the confidence to really shine on camera, but I do think he should give some thought now, to concentrating on touring and performing and writing his music.

I really hope he will do that. He mentioned writing a musical in America. This could be the way to go as everyone seems to agree that his songs belong in a theatre, and I agree with that.

• Like 1

Since Mika signed up for the talent shows, a few years ago, I have, mostly supported him, because it was his choice. I always reasoned that everything he does will get him known and sell his music.

But when he signed up for Italian X Factor again, towards the end of last year, I nearly left the fandom. I thought of another year of nothing in the UK and only foreign interviews and publicity. I came back on MFC when he was about to do the Montreal Orchestral gigs, and got excited again.

I know he says that the reality talent shows have been good for him, and they do seem to have given him the confidence to really shine on camera, but I do think he should give some thought now, to concentrating on touring and performing and writing his music.

I really hope he will do that. He mentioned writing a musical in America. This could be the way to go as everyone seems to agree that his songs belong in a theatre, and I agree with that.

Indeed! I love his idea writing a musical totally made by his songs. That was my thought from the beginning of my Mika-fan life, thought his music should be a musical in next 30 years. Like Mamma Mia with ABBA music, you know. Think my dream could be come true earlier than I imagined :wub:  

I kinda left from this fandom for an year... yes while he's been featuring TV shows I never followed them.

But you know...I'm back also.  :naughty:

Edited by Yuna

Indeed! I love his idea writing a musical totally made by his songs. That was my thought from the beginning of my Mika-fan life, thought his music should be a musical in next 30 years. Like Mamma Mia with ABBA music, you know. Think my dream could be come true earlier than I imagined :wub:  

I kinda left from this fandom for an year... yes while he's been featuring TV shows I never followed them.

But you know...I'm back also.  :naughty:

Well stage musicals are the kind of thing I always felt he should eventually do. He is more than just a popstar, I've always said that he is. I've always called Mika, The Maestro of Pop, because his music has always had a theatrical quality about it. 

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

Miri told me there's something about Mika in the Sunday Times today. Hope someone got it and will post it for us here. :thumb_yello:

edit: just realized it's probably the same deb posted about earlier. anyway, miri will try to get a copy, hope it's still available after the festival. ;)

something else i just found tho, a comparably nice review in the irish independent (http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-reviews/john-meaghers-album-reviews-the-drays-giorgio-moroder-mika-james-taylor-31317050.html):

No Place in Heaven (Republic) Pop

Mika's brief stint as pop's great hope has long passed but his glammed-up chart-friendly songs retain plenty of charm. 'Staring at the Sun' - not a cover of the U2 song - is an synth-led pop delight with a dark heart, while 'Rio' is a hook-heavy meditation on self-doubt. As always with Mika, some of the lyrics cloy badly, but his tunes are in the right place so to speak.

The Mail on Sunday

No Place In Heaven    ***

Mika's record sales may never regain the multi-platinum heights of his 2007 debut and its cavorting hit Grace Kelly but his music - still bouncy, clever piano-pop, albeit a bit less puppyish than before - is hard to dislike on album four, as he mixes sober wisdom (Last Party and Good Guys) in among the romping numbers about new love (Talk About You) and his demanding mum (All She Wants).

• Like 1

Hope Miri did get a copy of the Sunday Times. It looks like there is also a review in the Times, but again you need to be a subscriber to read the whole thing.

They give it 2 stars out of 5. Here's the piece of it you can see:

Will Hodgkinson
Published at 12:01AM, June 19 2015
stars_stencil_a.png

Mika is anything but a hometown guy, even if he does have a song on No Place in Heaven called Ordinary Man. “I woke up this morning, just like every man does,” he sings, but there the similarities end because ordinary men aren’t coaches for the French edition of The Voice while concurrently being judges on the Italian edition of The X Factor. (Mika learnt Italian in seven weeks for the latter.) They haven’t sold 10 million albums and don’t make overwrought, emotional pop-rock that, while displaying inarguable skill and ambition, is extremely hard to take seriously.

Hope Miri did get a copy of the Sunday Times.

unfortunately, she didn't. :( it was sold out everywhere after the festival. maybe one of the UK mfcers got it early enough? :dunno:

Some of these UK reviewers have obviously no idea what they are talking about. They had their old opinion and no plans to question it. I hope he doesn't read these reviews but I'm afraid he does and that it might hurt his feelings. Such a shame after this amazing quality album. I hope it means something that practically all his fans, France, Italy, "a half of the Korean population", several US critics and many other instances already love it! With a little bit promotion it will do good in so many countries.

• Like 3

Some of these UK reviewers have obviously no idea what they are talking about. They had their old opinion and no plans to question it. I hope he doesn't read these reviews but I'm afraid he does and that it might hurt his feelings. Such a shame after this amazing quality album. I hope it means something that practically all his fans, France, Italy, "a half of the Korean population", several US critics and many other instances already love it! With a little bit promotion it will do good in so many countries.

I totally agree, and I said the same to hubby, before MIKA came on stage in Hyde Park! Poor guy - having to start his first concert in his own neighbourhood and city, with such bad reviews, just printed ( words hurt, etc ) But what "stupid press people" write, and what fans, and audience in general mean, are luckily two different things! NPIH is an amazing alb. from start till end ...:)

Love,love

me

• Like 2