2015 - Lokerse Feesten in Belgium: 31 July REPORTS/VIDEOS/PICS

Kumazzz

Wel, I can say that we had not the same feeling about that day, that's all :) I can have my opinion too don't you think ?

Yes of course! I have only been to one festival where Mika was playing and it sucked compared to a regular gig. But I think if I went again I would show up later so that it wasn't such a difficult and unrewarding experience. You can't change how these festivals work, you can only change how you prepare for it. That's all I meant. :)

I wonder if that (and my tweets about it in advance) was the reason why I got no eye contact from Mika for nearly the whole gig. Maybe he thought I was too demanding, or whatever. I'm so used to get at least a quick look from him during one of the first few songs, a look that tells me "thanks for coming", that at some points during the gig I got really sad, and I kept questioning myself what was wrong. Didn't he want me to be there for some reason?

Aw Karin, I am sorry so many things were conspiring to make you feel sad but don't take it so personally! You said yourself things were great in Barcelona which was just a couple of weeks ago so I'm sure it's nothing like that. :huglove:

Anyway thanks for your honest and detailed report. It's interesting to read other people's perspectives.

I am also feeling that disconnect with Mika on stage and it's probably affecting my enjoyment of the gigs although it doesn't upset me. In Montreal I felt he was performing over the audience rather than connecting directly with the front rows but then I saw him spot Sunshine951 and his eyes lit up and even though he wasn't looking at me it felt like he was more in touch with the audience from that point on. He also kept coming over to sing directly to a man in a wheelchair who was so thrilled and I thought that was really sweet.

Which, luckily, it did. Lots of chocolate and a slice of Pizza later, I was still tired but apart from that everything was ok again. So, the usual feeling before a gig. Fast forward the wristband chaos and getting our places in the venue (which we could leave and come back to any time - at least in our group, where the others kept one's place in the meantime), with some moaning about the high stage. On my left there was a Milow fan in a wheelchair, she'd been waiting for at least 2 hours outside as well, to get a good spot. Tho I guess she could see even less of the stage, as she was sitting in the wheelchair. We had a little chat, she was very nice. :) At some point I asked her whether she'd stay for the Mika gig after Milow, and she said she'd leave after half of the Mika gig, since she had to work the next day. I was happy to see later that she stayed til the end. :naughty:

Oh, I guess you guys probably didn't stand that far away from us! We stood at the right of the stage, next to a lady in a wheelchair who left during one of the last couple of songs of Mika!  :D

I'm sitting in my tent at a camping next to a lovely chateau in the middle of France trying to post a report about my first Mika gig. But my ipad is crashing constantly. Very frustrating. Before this, I was in an excellent mood, traveling on my own by car from Lokeren to Rochefort feeling very grateful to Mika since he caused this trip.

Okay, i' ll try again.

Lokeren performance: I thought it was great, not because there was something extraordinary happening though. I agree with most of the others that it was an "average" festival gig. Nothing special compared to the many other gigs I watched on youtube. But, hey, for me it was very special (as Christine told me) because it was the first time I saw Mika standing on the piano in front of me, singing and dancing live, instead of watching him jump on a tiny computer screen.

We arrived around 20.00 in Lokeren. Me and my friend walked around in the town for more than an hour before we entered the festval site, trying to decide what to eat from the uncountable food booths. It was a noisy crowded atmosphere but people were friendly (not drunk yet), of all ages and they were having fun, so I quite liked it.

We went in when the punk band had just stopped, therefore no bottle throwing rapband for us. I'm not very sorry to have missed it.

At this time there were no queues at all, we got our wrist bands without any delay and we very could very easily get through to the right front of the crowd. I was actually very pleased that the stage was so high since I was able to see the singers (including Mika!!!!) very well because of that. Even with a few very tall Belgian guys and girls in front of me.

Milow was okay. I like his songs but I don't think he is a very good festival performer. He tried to interact with the crowd but wasn't very convincing. Maybe not his night or perhaps a result of the strange line-up. To be honest I was not very interested in him (or the other bands) anyway, so my festival concert started at 23.30 (sharp!!)

What can I say? It was everything I knew from seeing hundreds of concert videos and yet it was not like that at all. I recognized many many things, like the jumping and the climbing on the piano; the intro of Big girl (dear Lord, you made many skinny people...) the turning of the lights during Underwater, the confetti etc. Although it is a bit repetitive that he is doing the same stuff every concert (I thought he once said that he was easily bored...), I was very happy to finally be a part of those things and experience them first hand. And it's true. Mika is a great performer even when he's doing a routine performance as he clearly was doing this night. Of course I can't really compare it to other gigs but I think people made accurate observations when saying that he hardly made any real contact with the audience (except for the giggle at Happy Ending) Strangely enough this didn't disappoint me at all. It just made me realise that he is oh so human and he has to do a hell of a job each time he is performing. And he did well, even if the location wasn't special, the crowd wasn't estatic (although they were much more enthousiastic than during the Milow gig), the setlist was short and consisted of just the "regular" songs and his mood wasn't exuberant.

For me the highlight of the evening was Happy Ending. I've never particularly liked that song but on this occasion it moved me the most. I felt a bit of the magic that is part of my Mika fascination.

As for the rest there was nothing magical in it for me but it didn't matter at all. It was a very happy "real life" experience. I loved hearing Rain live and I was pleasantly surprised by Mika's voice in general. It's much stronger live than I had expected from hearing it on (recent) video's.

Luckily, we were at a good spot, on the right. People around us were singing along, even with the newer songs, so probably I've been close to some MFC' ers. My friend that isn't a huge Mika fan liked his performance and even if we got home at the camping very late (yes we too waited for more than an hour for Mika at the exit) we both had a wonderful evening.

And now I'm on my way to Rochefort. I feel so content driving through beautiful France with 4 cds of Mika to keep me compagny. I still don't understand why his music is making me so happy but it does. Listening to his songs brings out the best in me. It takes away a lot of insecurity and it comforts me when I am having difficulties.

At this very moment, there's a lot of thunder and lightning and rain and it's very likely that my tent will not be waterproof.. But i feel fine and strong and Mika's music has a lot to do with it.

So dear Lord, thank you for making many many skinny people and for one tall skinny one in particular.

Edited by Pascale
  • Like 6

I find it interesting that a lot of you are saying he seemed "off" that night when I feel the same way about the pictures. Some of the pictures posted on here are just... they seem off. A couple I hardly recognize him! And he looks very tired, which may contribute to the kind of vacant look I see in his eyes in some of the pictures. I worry he may have outdone himself on this first leg. I also hate to say it but some of the pictures he very much looks his age or even older. Like he's very stressed. I'm glad he's taking some time off now.

I uploades my pictures  :) You can find the album here: http://s745.photobucket.com/user/Statue_of_Liberty/library/Mika%20at%20Lokerse%20Feesten%2031s%20July%202015

I especially like those pics:

Lokeren_59_zps6nokwgrl.jpg

during Staring at the Sun :wub2:

Lokeren_56_zpsusq0vaet.jpg

Lokeren_54_zpstfxdhmp5.jpg

I FINALLY caught the jump this time - but thanks to my perspective it looks like he doesn't have feet  :lmfao:

I think you need to give me lessons in how to use my camera - have the same one as you, but my pix only turn out fine when Mika's not moving! :aah: Thanks for those, we forgot to swap them after the gig! :doh:

Aw Karin, I am sorry so many things were conspiring to make you feel sad but don't take it so personally! You said yourself things were great in Barcelona which was just a couple of weeks ago so I'm sure it's nothing like that. :huglove:

I know. Now. I just always tend to take things personally when I'm sleep deprived. The less sleep I got, the easier it is to upset me with the tinyest things. Like I said, I can't blame Mika for that, it's not his responsibility. But it was just the way I felt at the gig, and after. ;)

Oh, I guess you guys probably didn't stand that far away from us! We stood at the right of the stage, next to a lady in a wheelchair who left during one of the last couple of songs of Mika!   :D

We were on the left side (when you look at the stage), so I guess it must've been a different lady in a wheelchair (unless you mean the right side when you stand on the stage :naughty:)

• Like 1

We were on the left side (when you look at the stage), so I guess it must've been a different lady in a wheelchair (unless you mean the right side when you stand on the stage :naughty:)

Ah, than it has been another lady in a wheelchair, we stood at the right side in front of the stage so :D I thought there wouldn't be too many people in a wheelchair willing to sit in front of a barrier, but it seems there are more than I expected :D 

I find it interesting that a lot of you are saying he seemed "off" that night when I feel the same way about the pictures. Some of the pictures posted on here are just... they seem off. A couple I hardly recognize him! And he looks very tired, which may contribute to the kind of vacant look I see in his eyes in some of the pictures. I worry he may have outdone himself on this first leg. I also hate to say it but some of the pictures he very much looks his age or even older. Like he's very stressed. I'm glad he's taking some time off now.

If he is tired now after doing random festivals here and there over the space of 4 months, I don't hold out hope of him lasting doing a full on tour over the space of a month and a half!

Oh please can we not start round #115 of the "Mika is so tired/sick/sad/angry" hysteria that seems to crop up every few months. Let me remind everyone of his tweet just two days ago:

"The past few months have been so fragmented and relentless. But it hasn't hurt me."

But, hey, for me it was very special (as Christine told me) because it was the first time I saw Mika standing on the piano in front of me, singing and dancing live, instead of watching him jump on a tiny computer screen.

What can I say? It was everything I knew from seeing hundreds of concert videos and yet it was not like that at all. I recognized many many things, like the jumping and the climbing on the piano; the intro of Big girl (dear Lord, you made many skinny people...) the turning of the lights during Underwater, the confetti etc. Although it is a bit repetitive that he is doing the same stuff every concert (I thought he once said that he was easily bored...), I was very happy to finally be a part of those things and experience them first hand. And it's true. 

For me the highlight of the evening was Happy Ending. I've never particularly liked that song but on this occasion it moved me the most. I felt a bit of the magic that is part of my Mika fascination.
As for the rest there was nothing magical in it for me but it didn't matter at all. It was a very happy "real life" experience. I loved hearing Rain live and I was pleasantly surprised by Mika's voice in general. It's much stronger live than I had expected from hearing it on (recent) video's.

So happy for you that you had a great experience! Thanks for the report.

This last bit is what blew me away at my first gig and turned me from someone who was just checking out the latest act from the UK to a diehard fan. I couldn't believe that voice I was hearing in a tiny club.

At this time there were no queues at all, we got our wrist bands without any delay and we very could very easily get through to the right front of the crowd.

Please all Mika fans take note!!

The fact he didn't stop to say goodbye, I think the organisation of the festival has something to do with it.  

The security guy at the end (the most reliable one with his black backpack) clearly said that they didn't want Mika to be on the street. Once he was outside the gates they wouldn't cover him anymore. And if he wants to leave then they wanted him to actually leave.  

I thought about that as well and yes, it possibly has to do with his decision to not stop. I read that Milow met his fans so at some point it must have been possible, but if they say Mika it's not possible...

I was commenting on what Saskia said about how he should have informed people not to wait because he didn't intend to stop. Just because the van drove by people later doesn't he mean he knew they were there when he was in his dressing room or wherever. Also I assume Mika was not driving the van so there is no reason to think he was looking at fans...unless you saw him looking...? Judging by his tweets he was reading the New York Times instead.

If people want to believe he purposely shunned them I guess you can but I don't know why anyone would want to believe that when they don't know for certain whether it's true or not. I would have thought if he was purposely avoiding/hiding from people or he was too tired to even say a quick hello then he would not start tweeting. But if that's what you want to believe, go ahead I guess. :dunno:

He did have some eye contact with people he knows and he knows that they always wait. And he shouldn't be surprised that we wait for him. He should know better :naughty:

Of course I don't know what he does on purpose and what not. I don't *want* to feel that way. But somehow that feeling just pops up every now and then. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid about that too. 

I thought the festival was actually nicely organized. The toilets were very clean (um, I think I'm generally traumatized by festival toilets  :aah: ) and the security was nice and relaxed (meaning they didn't complain about my camera, lol).

I keep remembering that toilets! I demand them on EVERY festival from now on! :fangurl:

Excellent photos !!!

:bow:

Could you share the HIGH-RESOLUTION ORIGINALS if you like ?

Thank you very much !!

Actually, I would love to but I don't really know how to that the easy way. :aah: If I figure out a way to or have time to do it differently I'll post a link here.  :wink2:

I think you need to give me lessons in how to use my camera - have the same one as you, but my pix only turn out fine when Mika's not moving! :aah: Thanks for those, we forgot to swap them after the gig! :doh:

I was surprised those pics turned out so well this time! Doesn't work at all gigs. I guess it's got to do with my position and lighting. But in general I found out if I use sport mode it works better than in automatic mode. He's just way too agile to take decent pictures.  :naughty:

Edited by Statue_of_Liberty
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

:teehee:  :teehee:

I love your report!! Especially the conclusion  :naughty:

And for me is the same! Mika music make me happy, as very few things in life!!

Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad his music makes you happy as well.

This concert in Lokeren feels like it happened ages ago. Thanks as well for making me think of that special night again.

I've just been living in France for two and a half month, again with Mika's songs as compagny and support in weaker moments.

I'm not as obsessed with him as I used to be but in the background he's always there. Sort of an old friend that you don't see as often as you used to do but you know he's still there when you need him.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad his music makes you happy as well.

This concert in Lokeren feels like it happened ages ago. Thanks as well for making me think of that special night again.

I've just been living in France for two and a half month, again with Mika's songs as compagny and support in weaker moments.

I'm not as obsessed with him as I used to be but in the background he's always there. Sort of an old friend that you don't see as often as you used to do but you know he's still there when you need him.

I'm glad to have you brought back some good memories...and yes, we can say thak Lokeren happened really a long time ago!

The point is that I miss the tour, so I'm watching all the videos of the last 18 months of concerts  :doh:
Anyway, maybe it's not bad that you are no longer obsessed, there are so many ways to love an artist! For me Mika is always present even if I can't go to many gigs, he is my "escape valve"  :wub:

Ps. sorry for my english, and i Love Parissssss!!! Now where do you live?

I'm glad to have you brought back some good memories...and yes, we can say thak Lokeren happened really a long time ago!

The point is that I miss the tour, so I'm watching all the videos of the last 18 months of concerts  :doh:

Anyway, maybe it's not bad that you are no longer obsessed, there are so many ways to love an artist! For me Mika is always present even if I can't go to many gigs, he is my "escape valve"  :wub:

Ps. sorry for my english, and i Love Parissssss!!! Now where do you live?

Oh but I miss the tour as well. For various reasons i wasn't able to go to any concert this year. And now he has stopped touring for -as it seems- a long time. So I feel kind of sad that I didn't try harder to attend a concert in France when I was there. I watch concert clips from time to time to fill the void, just as you do. But just not as often as i used to do in te beginning of my fanship.

Did you go to any concert in Italy this year?

I'm back in Amsterdam now. But I was in the Perigord Vert for the last two and half months, staying in a very tiny village. I love Paris as well but I love nature more.

No need to say sorry for your English. I just learned the word "valve" from you so it's fine by me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh but I miss the tour as well. For various reasons i wasn't able to go to any concert this year. And now he has stopped touring for -as it seems- a long time. So I feel kind of sad that I didn't try harder to attend a concert in France when I was there. I watch concert clips from time to time to fill the void, just as you do. But just not as often as i used to do in te beginning of my fanship.

Did you go to any concert in Italy this year?

I'm back in Amsterdam now. But I was in the Perigord Vert for the last two and half months, staying in a very tiny village. I love Paris as well but I love nature more.

No need to say sorry for your English. I just learned the word "valve" from you so it's fine by me.

I went to Florence, than Bercy in may, Perugia and finally Rome!
But it's never enough, I would like to see all of them :dunno:   so i also try to fill the lack watching the videos!

ok, from now you also can say that Mika is a valve  :wink2:
  • Like 1

• silver changed the title to 2015 - Lokerse Feesten in Belgium: 31 July REPORTS/VIDEOS/PICS