2015 - Mika@Brussels Belgium Forest National - 23 September: REPORTS/PICS/VIDEOS

I'm writing this on the train just getting back from the show.

It was my first 'Mika-concert' but won't be my last! It lasted for 2 full hours and ended with 'love today' and finally 'lollipop'.

The ambiance was amazing so was the light show. If I could attend the same concert tomorrow I would!

10/10????

Any news from this gig yet?

I stil haven't found my words to describe the cloud I'm on! But writing it down will get me through (and I have no voice left, so writing's gonna do it!) He was more than perfect as usual. He spoke mostly in french, and some english wich i found bit weird as Belgians feel very strong about both french and netherlands, but it seemed to be more french speakers than dutch's at the concert.

Anyway, the playlist was without surprises. I got the copy of it from the sound and lights manager at the end of the show, as I passed infront of the control post on my way out. BUT, mostly,  Mika's mother who had watched the concert from the light/sound happened to be getting out of it at the same moment that we were there, so I couldn't stop my self from telling her that I was a fan of hers mostly. I have always respected and admire that woman. I hope she felt my respect, and not an intrusion. That was the cherry on top of the cake.

I'm uploading the playlist, (if i found how, HELP!) as it was given to me, althought Lollipop was the last song he played.

I promisse I will came later to tell you all of it , but I am going to bed now!

Since the first Mika show I ever saw, 6 years ago in Brussels with Jim Mobile, I am a loyal and huge fan. Within the last 6 years I have visitied +/- 20 gigs and what I really love about it is the energy he spreads every time.

So I ordered my tickets for the show in Forest National via de presales link of MFC. To collect my tickets I had to be at the box office as from 7 PM ... which I find a bit strange: I pre-order tickets and can only collect them last minute ... while people who bought their tickets via Sherpa can simply print them and queue when they want to. Well, however ...

First the good things: I really love the stage decoration, all the playfull elements (good job, Joost Smits! ;-) )

There was a very good mix of older songs and new songs ... although I don't like all of his new songs.

He played my favorite of the new CD: Good Guys ... as well as my all time favorite: Happy Ending.

I don't remember the entire setlist.

During Underwater his "ears" didn't work anymore, so he sang without ... and that was really great!

However, I found his musical performance much weaker than usually ... and I felt less energy than I usually feel.

All comments I read so far are very positive, so maybe I am the only one who felt that ...

What I really loved was the end: He told about a guy, Joost Smits, who helped him to design the stage decoration "while driniking several bottles of wine in his kitchen in London" ... the only thing that guy asked was to play an instrument on a stage, so he gave him his five minutes of fame ... so that guy came on stage and performed Lollipop with him ... I absolutely loved that!

After the show, when leaving the venue, I saw a black-haired woman with a white dress and a photo camera on the stairs to the inner circle ... I thought it was his mom. Did anyone else see her there?

Edited by mamaaake
  • Like 1

I think this was the best gig I've ever saw of his. Of course the intimacy of Cirque Royal was great and his gig at the Sportpaleis (first time I've seen him live) was always my favourite. But this topped everything. Great setlist, amazing decor by the great Job Smits and great vibe! Although I was quite ill I didn't feel anything during the concert, so that was a good thing. Only bad thing was the bad organisation to enter the venue in my opinion and the many unfriendly fans who arrived later and tried to get as close to the gates as possible and started to push when the gates opened. I've been to bigger gigs (even stadium gigs) but I've never felt so unsafe as yesterday. 

But then, great gig, still in a daze.

Since the first Mika show I ever saw, 6 years ago in Brussels with Jim Mobile, I am a loyal and huge fan. Within the last 6 years I have visitied +/- 20 gigs and what I really love about it is the energy he spreads every time.

So I ordered my tickets for the show in Forest National via de presales link of MFC. To collect my tickets I had to be at the box office as from 7 PM ... which I find a bit strange: I pre-order tickets and can only collect them last minute ... while people who bought their tickets via Sherpa can simply print them and queue when they want to. Well, however ...

First the good things: I really love the stage decoration, all the playfull elements (good job, Joost Smits! ;-) )

There was a very good mix of older songs and new songs ... although I don't like all of his new songs.

He played my favorite of the new CD: Good Guys ... as well as my all time favorite: Happy Ending.

I don't remember the entire setlist.

During Underwater his "ears" didn't work anymore, so he sang without ... and that was really great!

However, I found his musical performance much weaker than usually ... and I felt less energy than I usually feel.

All comments I read so far are very positive, so maybe I am the only one who felt that ...

What I really loved was the end: He told about a guy, Joost Smits, who helped him to design the stage decoration "while driniking several bottles of wine in his kitchen in London" ... the only thing that guy asked was to play an instrument on a stage, so he gave him his five minutes of fame ... so that guy came on stage and performed Lollipop with him ... I absolutely loved that!

After the show, when leaving the venue, I saw a black-haired woman with a white dress and a photo camera on the stairs to the inner circle ... I thought it was his mom. Did anyone else see her there?

I saw your comment on twitter and was afraid that the gig was a complet disaster for you. Happy to know that you could enjoy some parts of it however.

I think that the gig schedule is quite hard for Mika's voice. He must preserve it to be able to go on touring: he has 23 dates in one month! In other hand, I think his voice is sometimes even better than before: it's more espressive as he has to replace some higher notes by lower ones. Especially in this recording of Ordinary man you can here how powerful and beautiful his voice can be and there aren't any really high notes in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzd1OfVsb7c.

I saw your comment on twitter and was afraid that the gig was a complet disaster for you. Happy to know that you could enjoy some parts of it however.

I think that the gig schedule is quite hard for Mika's voice. He must preserve it to be able to go on touring: he has 23 dates in one month! In other hand, I think his voice is sometimes even better than before: it's more espressive as he has to replace some higher notes by lower ones. Especially in this recording of Ordinary man you can here how powerful and beautiful his voice can be and there aren't any really high notes in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzd1OfVsb7c.

Well, I have been to Lille as well and there I liked it much more. Indeed, his voice is changing, but that's not the point, I like this. Yesterday I had the impression that he playbacked certain parts and that it was not well done ... I can't describe. I also felt much less energy yesterday than I did sunday in Lille where he was joking a lot and where everything was more interactive and fun. But it can be just my feeling.

When singing Underwater without "ears" his voice was great, he sang really good ... no doubt about is talent at all! But in my eyes the "global performance" of yesterday was much weaker than it usually is ... but that's just a personal opinion.

Well, I have been to Lille as well and there I liked it much more. Indeed, his voice is changing, but that's not the point, I like this. Yesterday I had the impression that he playbacked certain parts and that it was not well done ... I can't describe. I also felt much less energy yesterday than I did sunday in Lille where he was joking a lot and where everything was more interactive and fun. But it can be just my feeling.

When singing Underwater without "ears" his voice was great, he sang really good ... no doubt about is talent at all! But in my eyes the "global performance" of yesterday was much weaker than it usually is ... but that's just a personal opinion.

Ok, fortunately you had a better experience in Lille. Maybe he was tired after the gig in Amsterdam or he had problems with his voice, that's possible. I will see him tomorrow in Luxembourg and hope everything is ok then.  :)

Ok, fortunately you had a better experience in Lille. Maybe he was tired after the gig in Amsterdam or he had problems with his voice, that's possible. I will see him tomorrow in Luxembourg and hope everything is ok then.  :)

Maybe it was just in my mind ... enjoy the gig in Luxembourg!

Maybe it was just in my mind ... enjoy the gig in Luxembourg!

I've heard from a few who were in amsterdam that also there somehow the "magic" of the gig was missing, although it was a good show and everyone who hasn't seen a lot of mika gigs would've missed nothing. I know this feeling, there has been a few gigs in the past where i said this, but most others said the gig was perfect. In hindsight, it turned out that mika was bothered by something at these gigs, for example hamburg 2010, he had just learned about the disaster with kick ass on radio1. London 2012 it was his record label telling him they wouldn't pay for promo anymore (see his university guest speech in milan, that's where he said it). I wonder what it is this time, but whatever it is, i hope it'll be fine tomorrow in luxemburg. :P - anyway, i just wrote this to confirm that it probably wasn't just in your mind. ;)

Yesterday I had the impression that he playbacked certain parts and that it was not well done ... I can't describe. I also felt much less energy yesterday than I did sunday in Lille where he was joking a lot and where everything was more interactive and fun. But it can be just my feeling.

I think I know what you're talking about. At some point I thought  that something was not right with the sound system because his voice was like lost in the music. Maybe it was the same thing you felt.. And I have also to say that people attending were not very responsive. I mean, how could they stay sited while he's dancing and jumping everywhere on the stage?? At the beginning I felt embarrassed to stand up as no body was, but at some point, when Relax came, I just couldn't. I've been waiting for this night for so long to spend it like if we were at the Opera. So I stood up, and somewhere else, somebody  did too at the same time and there were more and more but once the song was over, most people seated down again!  So maybe Mika felt this passivity from the audience... Near where I was,people was not even singing. Pfff! I don't get that. 

And yes, you're right about his mom. I had the chance to say " Hello" to her :)

• Like 1

I enjoyed the gig in Brussels a lot. If he had something on his mind he could put it side quite well during the gig and the energy felt good. I've seen gigs where something seems to be "not right" and this wasn't one of those times. He ws focused on show. Of course the audience and atmosphere is different for every gig. He said the set is difficult and it must be, it's the longest set I've seen. I put some random pics in my blog (sorry don't have much time to go through pics or edit, will do it later):

http://mikagigs.com/2015/09/24/gig-reports-mika-national-forest-brussels-belgium/

• Like 1

Hello everybody. I am afraid I will have to break the negativity, because I thought this gig was pretty amazing, just like Amsterdam the night before. Both very different, but I do not see how people can say that he did not give off enough energy when he was basically having spasm attacks on stage when he did his crazy dancing. In Brussels we turned up at around 5 and we still got First/second row but there was an old lady in front of me who did not give two ####s about the show so that doesn't count. His voice was good, he hit all the notes but no, it wasn't in perfect condition. That is probably why he did not talk much after the show in Amsterdam. Anyway, I am certain he did not mime as suggested above. Instead, when he felt like he couldn't hit the right notes, he let the audience do it. Problem solved.

He did a ridiculously long set again and he was full of energy and fun the entire night. I thought the crowd in Brussels was great apart from the old lady in front of me who has being a total hater because my bag touched her. Apart from that, the only atmosphere I felt was a good one that was filled with fun. Everybody has their own views about how things went of course but it feels like some of us weren't at the same gig, I suppose.

Anyway, I am very excited for Luxembourg tomorrow.

• Like 4

i've been to Lille as well and for me it felt kinda the other way round, but lille not being good for me didn't have anything to do with Mika tbh, just some very annoying people around me that kinda ruined my experience there.

I loved the energy in Brussels. It was a fantastic gig, i loved it so much. think it might be one of the best gigs i've seen

Edited by ilseh1983
  • Like 1

Hello everybody. I am afraid I will have to break the negativity, because I thought this gig was pretty amazing, just like Amsterdam the night before. Both very different, but I do not see how people can say that he did not give off enough energy when he was basically having spasm attacks on stage when he did his crazy dancing. In Brussels we turned up at around 5 and we still got First/second row but there was an old lady in front of me who did not give two ####s about the show so that doesn't count. His voice was good, he hit all the notes but no, it wasn't in perfect condition. That is probably why he did not talk much after the show in Amsterdam. Anyway, I am certain he did not mime as suggested above. Instead, when he felt like he couldn't hit the right notes, he let the audience do it. Problem solved.

He did a ridiculously long set again and he was full of energy and fun the entire night. I thought the crowd in Brussels was great apart from the old lady in front of me who has being a total hater because my bag touched her. Apart from that, the only atmosphere I felt was a good one that was filled with fun. Everybody has their own views about how things went of course but it feels like some of us weren't at the same gig, I suppose.

Anyway, I am very excited for Luxembourg tomorrow.

Well, like I said, maybe it was just in my mind.

I'm glad most people enjoyed it ... and probably I will love the next gig again

I've heard from a few who were in amsterdam that also there somehow the "magic" of the gig was missing, although it was a good show and everyone who hasn't seen a lot of mika gigs would've missed nothing. I know this feeling, there has been a few gigs in the past where i said this, but most others said the gig was perfect. In hindsight, it turned out that mika was bothered by something at these gigs, for example hamburg 2010, he had just learned about the disaster with kick ass on radio1. London 2012 it was his record label telling him they wouldn't pay for promo anymore (see his university guest speech in milan, that's where he said it). I wonder what it is this time, but whatever it is, i hope it'll be fine tomorrow in luxemburg. :P - anyway, i just wrote this to confirm that it probably wasn't just in your mind. ;)

What was the disaster with Kick Ass?

Hello everybody,

I'll try to relate as much as I can my first experience of a Mika's show. 

At first, I have to say it was a pleasure for me (and my family) to meet some of you Annie (once more time sorry to be late , it's not my habit), Theresa and Sharon . :group_hug:

The first part was played by an english group The Citizens. I didn't know them before but it was quite a good sound for those who like english pop rock. After round 3/4 of an hour and than our  :mikalove: .

The scenery was beautiful with lighting effects to highlight Mika. He had a good energy on stage and the audience was really in symbiosis with him. We were almost all up dancing and singing with him even in the sitting area of the auditorium. When he sang Underwater, each have lighted on his smartphone it was very great to see that.  It was very amazing, I will always remeber this show :wub:

• Like 5

Hello everybody,

I'll try to relate as much as I can my first experience of a Mika's show. 

At first, I have to say it was a pleasure for me (and my family) to meet some of you Annie (once more time sorry to be late , it's not my habit), Theresa and Sharon . :group_hug:

The first part was played by an english group The Citizens. I didn't know them before but it was quite a good sound for those who like english pop rock. After round 3/4 of an hour and than our  :mikalove: .

The scenery was beautiful with lighting effects to highlight Mika. He had a good energy on stage and the audience was really in symbiosis with him. We were almost all up dancing and singing with him even in the sitting area of the auditorium. When he sang Underwater, each have lighted on his smartphone it was very great to see that.  It was very amazing, I will always remeber this show :wub:

It's ok Mag ... you don't have to apologize for being late. I was late too, but I just happened to be the first late one to arrive at the restaurant.  :naughty:

Did your husband and daughter like the show too?

There was a woman sitting in front of me that hardly moved during the whole gig and she didn't even get up when everyone else did. :shocked: I never understand how you can sit still when you hear Mika.  :teehee:

• Like 1

It's ok Mag ... you don't have to apologize for being late. I was late too, but I just happened to be the first late one to arrive at the restaurant.  :naughty:

Did your husband and daughter like the show too?

There was a woman sitting in front of me that hardly moved during the whole gig and she didn't even get up when everyone else did. :shocked: I never understand how you can sit still when you hear Mika.  :teehee:

My daughter loved the show, she took some pics (not really good we were too far from the scene) and vids (I'd like to add one in the thread but I don't know how).

My husband was a little ill, he get a cold I think and wasn't in a good condition to appreciate the show as he should  :( , but he liked it anyway.

• Like 1

I absolutely loved the show  :wub:

I only took two videos: 

- No Place In Heaven: 

- Promiseland + part of We Are Golden: 

I also took pictures, everything is on my facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vanessa.hamm.96/media_set?set=a.10204790914319494.1073741835.1437138365&type=3  :)

You were on the left side first right? I tried to say hi but you were not listening XD