2015 - Adelphi Theatre, London 18 October - REPORTS/PICS/VIDS

crazyaboutmika

When Mika said "not everyone will understand"when talking about BBB I shouted out "That's because it's in ####ing French". I meant it in jest, not malicious. Yes I was angry. Yes I had a couple of drinks before the show. Should I have not been so emotional about a subject we had been talking about since 2012? I wasn't abusive. I heckled him a bit. I've known him a long time. He knows what I'm like.

I wasn't intolerant. I wasn't bullying him.

I've given my side of the story in my video. What has really hurt me is the FANS (some of them from this fan club) on Twitter calling me a rude cow, bitch, ****, pig etc and the "Mika can sing what he wants campaign". If he had a Japanese song would you like to here that instead of WAG in Germany for example?

Now trolls leave me alone.

I'm very shocked and sorry to hear that. I think it's great that you posted your reaction on youtube and explained your side of the story. I don't agree with everything you say but it's ridiculous to harrass you for one comment.

Mika should have realized that this could happen after what he said about this fan/you. Stupid of him

• Like 2

When Mika said "not everyone will understand"when talking about BBB I shouted out "That's because it's in ####ing French". I meant it in jest, not malicious. Yes I was angry. Yes I had a couple of drinks before the show. Should I have not been so emotional about a subject we had been talking about since 2012? I wasn't abusive. I heckled him a bit. I've known him a long time. He knows what I'm like.

I wasn't intolerant. I wasn't bullying him.

I've given my side of the story in my video. What has really hurt me is the FANS (some of them from this fan club) on Twitter calling me a rude cow, bitch, ****, pig etc and the "Mika can sing what he wants campaign". If he had a Japanese song would you like to here that instead of WAG in Germany for example?

Now trolls leave me alone.

First of all, calling you these is inappropriate. That I know for sure.

Second, you've known him a long time, he knows what you're like, is so self-centered, just because he knows you doesn't mean you have the right to heckle him in a show and he would/should not feel bad about what you said, which apparently is a lot fans' logic here. They are fans from beginning, they should be treated more special, well no, outside the performance you can be friends or whatever, in the show you are just a fan and an audience.

To be honest, after hearing exactly what happened from you, my sympathy for you is only for the part he said you just get more BBB and the fans calling you mean words,  the rest I really don't think he did anything wrong. And you did not feel sorry until recently, before that apparently you dont think vocally speaking negative opinion to the performer on stage is rude/mean at all. Well it is, as Prascale said, there is a difference between hearing feedback (when you ask for it) at a chosen moment and hearing a loud critical comment while you're performing in the middle of a concert.

I thought I would leave this thing behind, but the logic behind someone's statement is just killing me. Someone else's argument is that they paid so the concert should go exactly as they expected. It's ridiculous, it's like if you and some people went to a restaurant to eat together and you all share the dishes, and you and someone ordered a bunch of stuff, and most of them turn out to be really good and exactly what you want, but for one dish you didnt ordered it and dont like, someone else in the group like it a lot and ordered it and the restaurant serve it, yeah you have to pay that dishes' share too, but is there anything wrong in that situation? No! If you can understand this reason behind this situation, then you will understand why to us it's so absurd about the argument that they paid for the concert so it should go exactly as they expected. Unless you raise the money to hold a private concert, where you hired him to sing exactly what you want, and he took the offer (which honestly I dont think he would) , then you have the right to have the concert to go exactly as you want.

Also, the logic behind the UK gig should only have English songs is weak too. First of all, even some people live in the UK area like his French songs, it's maybe a small portion, but there are some, so even for the UK people's sake he would blend in one/two french songs ( comparing to 17 songs!) . Even all the UK people dont like French songs, there're foreigners in the gig too. Your logic is that because it's in UK they should only expect English songs, which is so ridiculous, it's like people who travels to London should only eat English food, and if they want to eat French food, they should fly to Paris!

Honestly, I have a feeling that some UK fans here hold a grudge on foreign fans who did not want they want, and they sound so superier because they're UK fans or long time fans. Some fans, not all of them.

Edited by yang
  • Like 3

Can someone please point out where Mika is being so traumatized by Jemma that he barely spoke the rest of the night? Because all I am hearing are MANY people shouting various things, as is perfectly normal during all gigs.

This whole incident is nothing but Mika acting like a f*cking diva. And true to form, in what is supposed to be a club for fans, the majority here are only interested in defending Mika at all costs and actually don't give a flying f*ck about their fellow fans.

I am glad I spent so many years here meeting amazing people who are now my lifelong friends like Jemma but I am glad to now be away from this twisted Mika cult where the only thing that matters in the universe is what he thinks or says.

• Like 3

Lord some of you really need to get a grip. It's not unusual to heckle and it was not in the middle of a song, it was during his chat.

People have heckled performers since time began. It's a way of letting the performer know if you are enjoying the performance or not. You are all so obsessed with  Mika's hurt feelings. If he is so thin skinned, perhaps he shouldn't put himself out there in the way of too much of the  praise or censure that performing attracts.

The real issue here though is not  what happened, it's that  Mika is still harping on about it months after the non event happened and what's more is telling his tale (and I mean tale)  to thousands of people. Something that Jemma doesn't have the means to do. Bad form Mika.

What has logic to do with anything? If I don't want to hear songs in a foreign language, that's my preference. Nothing logical or illogical about it.

Yours faithfully

Superior Fokker

Edited by babspanky
  • Like 4

For people still dont understand and think MIKA is just being childish. Just put yourself into MIKA's shoes, what if it's you performing/speaking in the stage, and you prepared so much for it and hope everything will go right, then someone else yelled at you in a non-friendly way in the audience, what would you feel? I just imagine that, and feel horrifying and disgusting.

• Like 3

What has logic to do with anything? If I don't want to hear songs in a foreign language, that's my preference. Nothing logical or illogical about it.

Yeah logic matters. YOUR preference is YOUR preference. Cuz someone here are saying because they dont want it, and they are UK fans, MIKA should not do it. That expectation is not reasonable.

• Like 1

For people still dont understand and think MIKA is just being childish. Just put yourself into MIKA's shoes, what if it's you performing/speaking in the stage, and you prepared so much for it and hope everything will go right, then someone else yelled at you in a non-friendly way in the audience, what would you feel? I just imagine that, and feel horrifying and disgusting.

I think you also are far too sensitive. Don't go on the stage

So you hold a grudge on us.

No I don't, I don't know you. You are attributing  what you feel on  us.

Yeah logic matters. YOUR preference is YOUR preference. Cuz someone here are saying because they dont want it, and they are UK fans, MIKA should not do it. That expectation is not reasonable.

Again I think you are too emotional and worked up  to read things properly. 

• Like 1

Also, the logic behind the UK gig should only have English songs is weak too. First of all, even some people live in the UK area like his French songs, it's maybe a small portion, but there are some, so even for the UK people's sake he would blend in one/two french songs ( comparing to 17 songs!) . Even all the UK people dont like French songs, there're foreigners in the gig too. Your logic is that because it's in UK they should only expect English songs, which is so ridiculous, it's like people who travels to London should only eat English food, and if they want to eat French food, they should fly to Paris!

Honestly, I have a feeling that some UK fans here hold a grudge on foreign fans who did not want they want, and they sound so superier because they're UK fans or long time fans. Some fans, not all of them.

It is NOT weak to ask for English songs at an English concert. So what if there are foreigners at a UK gig? He must sing a song in a different language to accommodate them? I'd NEVER go to an Andrea Bocelli concert in Italy and hope he sings a song in English because I'm a f*cking foreigner, THAT is self-centered and absurd. His French songs are pretty irrelevant here - they've never been released here, I've never heard them on radio (in fact I've not heard him on radio for a very long time because he hasn't been here, despite being a British artist) and why would he promote them here anyway, because it's in French?! Not sure if you're aware, but foreign songs don't do too well in English speaking countries unless it's gone viral, like the Macarena or Gangnam Style. They're not on his albums here, so unless you're a super hardcore fan the majority of people in the Adelphi theatre probably didn't even know about it. 

I am not holding a grudge against anyone or any foreigners. It's not the French or Italian's fans fault that he's stayed in those countries for a very long so I can't blame anyone for that. What I am horrified at is that Mika brings up this non-issue of Jemma moaning at a gig 6 months down the line, where, if you watch the video you can see it wasn't even a problem then, but yet he sees fit to exaggerate the story by a hundred and paint her to be an evil being. The UK went THREE YEARS without a single gig and he sang a random French song when there are plenty of other enjoyable ones he could have sung instead for his UK audience. 

I am not against Mika singing songs in a different language, all the power to him. Truly. Just preferably not here, that is all. Hell, if people here wanted to here Mika sing in Franch live so much then maybe they can livestream his French concerts instead.

Edited by CazGirl
  • Like 2

Can someone please point out where Mika is being so traumatized by Jemma that he barely spoke the rest of the night? Because all I am hearing are MANY people shouting various things, as is perfectly normal during all gigs.

Someone in there, who could hear what everyone said, just told me the situation was very uncomfortable. And to be honest there're nothing more I can say. Apparently I can not talk sense into the self-centered fans here.

Edited by yang
  • Like 1

It is NOT weak to ask for English songs at an English concert. So what if there are foreigners at a UK gig? He must sing a song in a different language to accommodate them? I'd NEVER go to an Andrea Bocelli concert in Italy and hope he sings a song in English because I'm a f*cking foreigner, THAT is self-centered and absurd. His French songs are pretty irrelevant here - they've never been released here, I've never heard them on radio (in fact I've not heard him on radio for a very long time because he hasn't been here, despite being a British artist) and why would he promote them here anyway, because it's in French?! Not sure if you're aware, but foreign songs don't do too well in English speaking countries unless it's gone viral, like the Macarena or Gangnam Style. They're not on his albums here, so unless you're a super hardcore fan the majority of people in the Adelphi theatre probably didn't even know about it. 

I am not holding a grudge against anyone or any foreigners. 

So because they are foreigners, even they are in the audience, they do not have the right to see what they want as you do? And HE should not put our preference into consideration? Geez.

It's not that he did not put UK fans' preference into consideration, he did way less French songs. And you can not even accept ONE French songs.

It's just impossible to talk sense into you, isn't it? 

Edited by yang

So because they are foreigners, even they are in the audience, they do not have the right to see what they want as you do? And HE should not put our preference into consideration? Geez.

It's not that he did not put UK fans' preference into consideration, he did way less French songs. And you can not even accept ONE French songs.

It's just impossible to talk sense into you, isn't it? 

Alright, let's go back to my Andrea Bocelli example. Because I am a foreigner at an Italian opera concert, should I hope he sings an English song even though the majority of people in the audience will be Italian and expect him to sing in Italian? Would that be fair?

Edited by CazGirl
  • Like 2

Alright, let's go back to my Andrea Bocelli example. Because I am a foreigner at an Italian opera concert, should I hope he sings an English song even though the majority of people in the audience will be Italian and expect him to sing in Italian? Would that be fair?

But would that be unfair to the italian fans that Andrea Bocelli put your hope into consideration and sing just ONE English song? No!

What mika did is exactly like that, the majority like English songs so he sung English songs most, the minority like French songs so he sung ONE French song for them. What's wrong with that??

• Like 1

Yang I am putting myself in my friend's shoes. Mika has hurt her in a way that she could not possibly hurt him. He has all the power in this situation and it's unbelievable that he is still having a go at her over nothing 6 months later. His totally exaggerated and ridiculous account of what happened is inciting his fans to insult and harass Jemma. We are getting blamed for this drama but this was going on for hours yesterday before I even found out about it. Mika is ground zero for this debacle. He should be above this nonsense. It is his job to deal with fans during a gig and Jemma didn't do anything a million other fans have not done over the years in terms of shouting while he was on stage. He just didn't like what she said. Well too f*cking bad. As Nectar says, that's life. When you are getting paid millions of pounds as a performer it comes with the territory..

Anyone who thinks this is a reasonable and justified reaction from Mika needs think long and hard about why they would side with some man they don't know to the point where they feel no sympathy at all for someone he has hurt and who is a long time member of this club. I would never do that and neither would Jemma.

• Like 3

The UK went THREE YEARS without a single gig and he sang a random French song when there are plenty of other enjoyable ones he could have sung instead for his UK audience. 

Because there're also foreign audience there he need to sing for.

Anyone who thinks this is a reasonable and justified reaction from Mika needs think long and hard about why they would side with some man they don't know to the point where they feel no sympathy at all for someone he has hurt and who is a long time member of this club. I would never do that and neither would Jemma.

And this come from someone who just said he want to "s**k up" Chinese fans yesterday, and you think that's not rude to the Chinese fans. WOW

And this come from someone who just said he want to "s**k up" Chinese fans yesterday, and you think that's not rude to the Chinese fans. WOW

It has nothing to do with Chinese fans. I would have said the same if it was Canada or the UK or anywhere else in the world. If the gig is in Shanghai then he should be focusing on his audience in Shanghai, not sucking up to people in NYC.

Edited by Christine

Because there're also foreign audience there he need to sing for.

He has no idea who is going to be at the gig. He sets a date in New York to perform for Americans, not people from Austria. Do you think he designed his Asian tour for the random Europeans that turned up or he did it for the Koreans, Japanese and Chinese he went there to see and perform for?

This is such a bizarre line of thinking and it is never an issue with any other artist. Mika fans are the only people I've ever encountered who think that gigs all over the world are their business and not the business of the locals.

• Like 4

The fact that Mika said I need Boum Boum Boum in my life to thousands of fans really upset me and was uncalled for. I wasn't being mean or malicious as I said before. The last 24 hours has been absolute hell for me.

• Like 4

It has taken me a while to catch up on everything that has been said here and on Twitter and Facebook regarding this subject. I didn't want to write until I felt I had seen the whole story.

Let me say at the outset that I'm disappointed in the way that Mika has brought up this Boum Boum Boum episode twice in public, apparently singling out a fan in a very hurtful way. As Lucy said, what happened in that room that night should have just stayed there. If you were there you know it wasn't that big of a deal then. He carried on, most people didn't even notice. Why should it be such a big deal now?

I am also appalled that some MFCers feel that it's OK to bully someone they don't like or agree with, whatever the reason may be, in Mika's defense. Name-calling, hateful language? Really? That's OK just because you think it's justified to defend Mika's honor in some way? I'm here to tell you it is NOT OK. I've seen it on Twitter, which I obviously can't control. But if I see it happening here on MFC, you'll be banned. Read our guidelines again. :sneaky2:

For the record, I happen to like the song Boum Boum Boum. But having said that, I would be happy if Mika never sang another song in French again. We've gone over this topic a million times, but for me the issue is that I don't speak French, and I find it hard to enjoy the French language songs as much as I would if they were in English. No, it doesn't ruin the gig for me if Mika sings one French song. But I would be happier if he didn't, especially at a gig in LONDON. It's that simple. It's not my style to confront anyone over something like this, but it's my opinion.

Why is that arrogant or unrealistic? I've heard Mika himself say several times in very recent interviews that he would listen to the audience and play the songs that they asked for. Why should the opposite not be true? Why would he not listen to fans asking that he OMIT a song  or two from the set list in favor of something else? :dunno: He has enough songs in English to choose from. When I had a chance to speak to him privately last year, I made sure to ask him to PLEASE consider adding Promiseland to the playlist. I could have just as easily asked him to PLEASE not sing Elle Me Dit at the next concert. Why is one request more valid than the other? It's not, in my opinion. Such a request is based on my feelings, it doesn't mean I hate a whole country. And I'm sure that's the case of the fans who don't want to hear particular songs at a gig they're attending.

When Jemma shouted to Mika that people wouldn't understand BBB because it was in French, she didn't add, "And I hate the French! and anyone who doesn't come from an English-speaking country!" This video pretty much captures the moment, and while you can't hear everything that's being said, you can tell that there were lots of random things being shouted, and that Mika carried on like the professional he is.

The part that's unprofessional is mentioning this episode two more times in a very public way in the following months. :sad:

I've known Jemma a long time, and I think the world of her. I am sure that she didn't mean to hurt Mika or anyone else for that matter, or start any sort of public feud. She was just expressing her opinion in what seemed at the time as a very innocent way. You may disagree with where and when and how she expressed herself, but there's no cause for all this drama over that, simply because you perceive Mika may be "hurt." Jemma has also been hurt. And if you think that her feelings matter less than Mika's, I think there's a problem there.

• Like 11

He has no idea who is going to be at the gig. He sets a date in New York to perform for Americans, not people from Austria. Do you think he designed his Asian tour for the random Europeans that turned up or he did it for the Koreans, Japanese and Chinese he went there to see and perform for?

This is such a bizarre line of thinking and it is never an issue with any other artist. Mika fans are the only people I've ever encountered who think that gigs all over the world are their business and not the business of the locals.

THANK YOU *bows*

Also thank to you Deb, perfectly written.

Edited by CazGirl
  • Like 1

I don't think that BBB was necessarily for foreign fans. He might just like to sing it and the joking part and his Elvis moves please lot of people.  :das:

• Like 1

I've known Jemma a long time, and I think the world of her. I am sure that she didn't mean to hurt Mika or anyone else for that matter, or start any sort of public feud. She was just expressing her opinion in what seemed at the time as a very innocent way. You may disagree with where and when and how she expressed herself, but there's no cause for all this drama over that, simply because you perceive Mika may be "hurt." Jemma has also been hurt. And if you think that her feelings matter less than Mika's, I think there's a problem there.

Amen. This has been a horribly disturbing trend in this entire fandom and one I want nothing to do with. It is mindboggling to me that people put the feelings of a stranger above those they interact with on a daily basis. Mika has so little direct contact with most fans these days I don't even understand where this possessiveness and defensiveness on his behalf comes from. I think Mika slagging off Jemma is more attention than he has given anyone all year. :P

• Like 2

It has nothing to do with Chinese fans. I would have said the same if it was Canada or the UK or anywhere else in the world. If the gig is in Shanghai then he should be focusing on his audience in Shanghai, not sucking up to people in NYC.

You are using that phrase again. If you don't know, let me tell you, when you are saying "A sucks up B", you are insulting both A and B.