2015 - Adelphi Theatre, London 18 October - REPORTS/PICS/VIDS

crazyaboutmika

We are fans.

Even we dont have contact with him, we love him, and if you see someone hurt the one you love and hold dear to, you defend for him. Same as why you're defending for Jemma even when you know it's her to upset him first, and even you have said you understand why he lashed out in a gig later.

Just because one is a fan doesn't mean you have to approve of everything a person does.  If you were to treat children like that you would end up with self centered brats.

Edited by babspanky
  • Like 2

Oh I don't think you are targeting Chinese fans any more after your explaination long time ago :naughty: .

But it is a silly phrase, I just want to point out to you how bad it sounds to me in the first place and why I kept saying it's a horrible phrase, cuz you want to know what that phrase mean to me.

I am really struggling to understand what you think suck up means because it is not that bad. It is bad that's my point.

There are actually worse pics if you google "suck up", so bad that the pic is even not allowed to post here.

I know you like to express yourself with all this sassy words, I understand they sounds very impressive. I'm just trying to show you sometimes they may be a little TOO sassy. And it provoke the defensiveness in other fans. It's not that we are oversensitive or anything.

Yang , "suck it up" really just means something like "accept it" or "deal with it".  The pictures you have posted, I would say are more like the phrase  " kissing ass" or in the UK "brown nosing". Personally I don't find any of them particularly rude but if any, the last is the most offensive.

I still reserve the right to use it though!  :wink2:

Edited by babspanky
  • Like 2

Just because one is a fan doesn't mean you have to approve of everything a person does.  If you were to treat children like that you would end up with self centred brats.

**waiting for some people to now get offended because they think you are calling Mika a self centered brat...** :doh:  :naughty: 

• Like 2

And he mentioned this on the radio the next day here, he never waited 6 months in another country to do it.

I don't get why some people are shocked that he mentioned the incident after 6 months.... could be just because now he did the interview in HK? :dunno:   The question was about the most touching moment from his entire career,not from the last 5 months,or last week. So he mentioned this moment with the flags. He also said that the funniest moment from his career was when he came in HK for the first time,and that happened 9 years ago,I think. Probably if he'd have done the interview one week after Adelphi,his answer would have been the same,so I don't think it has something to do with the time  ;)

Edited by krysady
  • Like 1

I don't get why some people are shocked that he mentioned the incident after 6 months.... could be just because now he did the interview in HK? :dunno:   The question was about the most touching moment from his entire career,not from the last 5 months,or last week. So he mentioned this moment with the flags. He also said that the funniest moment from his career was when he came in HK for the first time,and that happened 9 years ago,I think. Probably if he'd have done the interview one week after Adelphi,his answer would have been the same,so I don't think it has something to do with the time  ;)

My point was, when he did press right after the show, he never mentioned it. He could quite easily have done, but he didn't. 

He did make a comment at a French gig, which is a little below the belt for me, as Jemma wasn't there to defend herself/

Something that I am curious about, Jemma follows him on Twitter, if it really bothers him this much, he has the means to message her and ask her why she made the comment, I'm sure if he had done this at the time, by now this would have all blown over and we wouldn't be talking about it now.

• Like 3

I cant believe I missed this post, yeah we have a lot misspelled comments, and we may post more pics than words, sooooo?

Guideline : "Do not mock someone because of the way they speak/write, or the amount of time they spend on the forum.'

Well, I did not mock anyone, I just asked how you define the 'we' you are talking in the name of. So it is that group then, I see. Thank you.

I know you like to express yourself with all this sassy words, I understand they sounds very impressive. I'm just trying to show you sometimes they may be a little TOO sassy. 

So who needs to read guidelines?

Edited by suzie
  • Like 1

No, you didn't just do that.

Please read the edited post with the quote and consider if people speaking proper English would need to apologize from others apparently also living in an English speaking country for using words that are outside a basic / beginner's vocabulary. 

Edited by suzie
  • Like 1

Please read the edited post with the quote and consider if people speaking proper English would need to apologize from others apparently also living in an English speaking country for using words that are outside a basic / beginner's vocabulary.

?? Sorry, Not speaking proper English well enough to understand your last edit.

People can think now... oh, poor Mika. Even I think about it sometimes.

But no. The best would be that Mika could think on this. On why this can happen. What is the heart of this matter. 

What it´s going to happen is that Mika will continue with his life. 

However, the fan will be able to be pointed at for other fans and feel uncomfortable. Just because Mika did this anecdote public. And that´s all.

I don't think poor Mika.

But I'm pretty sure he will be quite uncomfortable as well next gig in the Palladium (if he is aware of any of this of course). And he is on stage.

People can think now... oh, poor Mika. Even I think about it sometimes.

But no. The best would be that Mika could think on this. On why this can happen. What is the heart of this matter. 

What it´s going to happen is that Mika will continue with his life. 

However, the fan will be able to be pointed at for other fans and feel uncomfortable. Just because Mika did this anecdote public. And that´s all. 

Ha! I must say I have never felt that sorry for Mika whatever tale he spun. Seems to me like he and his family have always been considerably richer than me and he's always had a large and doting family around him to support him.

• Like 3

I don't think poor Mika.

But I'm pretty sure he will be quite uncomfortable as well next gig in the Palladium (if he is aware of any of this of course). And he is on stage.

Well that's his job. We all can have a bad day at the office if we have cocked up but sometimes we just have to front it out, bite the bullet, get on with things in our chosen profession. I'm sure he will be fine.

• Like 1

I didn't know where to start quoting so just a few thoughts."Baby" is hardly the worst word he has heard. I guess it depends on how you say it? In real life discussions I sometimes say "you're such a baby!" in a very joking tone but to be honest I find telling people that they are acting in a childish/not mature way or simply can't handle things like an adult quite harsh. I wouldn't tell even to my own son that he is acting like a baby (even if it was literally true) because it sounds patronizing, I rather simply say "now you need to take responsibility about X"  because it's a fact (not that anyone likes that either).

A guide line I try to follow is to write things and words I could tell Mika face to face. Not because I think he ever reads or hears my words but because it helps me to keep things on an honest but still polite level. In real life I wouldn't talk to him in a flattering way, it would sound totally fake. And I don't know him on a personal level, we talk only rarely and it's always very short but I see him often so I feel some weird familiarity (meaning sometimes random things come out of my mouth). I always wish I could give him a polite and smart comment about his music or shows but in reality we talk maybe 5 words once a year and it's always a very weird short conversation.  I don't have much conversation skills and Finnish people are famous for not knowing small talk  :doh: It's a national shame!

So I just try to estimate what I could say face to face to him or to anyone I'm talking about and about this episode I wouldn't say he is a liar or being unprofessional or victimizing himself or acting like a baby. I don't think any of that. I would say he seemed hurt. Hurt either by that separate situation and the comment coming in the middle of his performance or by the whole issue and the whole thought of that not accepting his French side means not accepting him as a person. I would also say that maybe because he felt hurt he wasn't careful enough when he spoke in the interview or he simply didn't think it all through. I mean something went wrong. Just look around, there's a war zone. 

It's difficult to keep the balance between being honest and showing true feelings and still remembering someone's position and the impact their words can have. If this was about that particular comment he could have handled it privately or at least give a little background if the comment hurt him especially coming from a fan/fans who has been there since the beginning. And if it was more about feeling hurt because of the whole issue... Why not openly talk about it without naming anyone. We all want to hear him telling how he feels.  

About Mika not being the same as he was years ago. I've never thought he has changed as a person. I rather think he is different because he is older and that he probably sees the world differently than he used to see because of everything he has experienced and been through. Success, disappointments, pressure, money, the way people treat him as a celebrity and so many other things. His life style is very different than ours. I feel happier if I try to enjoy things how they are instead thinking how they used to be or could be in another reality. He speaks French on my left and Italian on my right and tells me to learn the f*cking language. It is what it is. I love spending time in France and Italy. I love many things happening at the moment. Symphony concerts, the latest album, the new mature tone in his voice, his charity work, his new way to go really close to the audience during concerts, watching and reading so many new interviews...

I just want to add that even I wouldn't say something or use some particular words myself it doesn't have to mean they are automatically rude coming from someone else. It all depends on personality and style and if the words "fit" in someone's mouth or not. I'm sure Mika thinks the same. And I think it's very hard to handle criticism. I already have a negative image of myself and if someone criticizes me it always feels just one more thing I can't do right or well and it's very heavy to handle. So if I give feedback to someone else I try to do it kindly, it doesn't mean not being honest. Maybe people giving very direct feedback can also handle feedback more easily when it's their turn? 

Sorry my post is so long, I don't usually write much these days. I'm obviously procrastinating some other things  :naughty:

Edited by tiibet
  • Like 11

**waiting for some people to now get offended because they think you are calling Mika a self centered brat...** :doh:  :naughty: 

:naughty: In the first TV interview I saw with MIKA, 9.3.07,  he said: " I was growing up as a little Parisian brat " - so this "confession"  is already 9 y.o. - yesterday :teehee: Therefore,  no need to feel offended about it... :naughty: 

Love, love

me  

• Like 3

?? Sorry, Not speaking proper English well enough to understand your last edit.

haha. Sorry, I really have no time for that. I can live with a few not understanding what I say or mean or even me not wording it the right way. Have a nice day.

I lost all my multiquotes so just going to make this quick:

Pascale - I think Mika's nervousness about the UK has always been about feeling he will be crucified by the media as well as facing an unpleasant reminder that he is not the star he used to be in the UK or the star he is elsewhere. He was being interviewed before a London gig several years ago and said he was trying to escape and/or wanted to vomit or something along those lines. I understand this but it feels like he is penalizing the loyal UK fans for the sins of the ones who were not loyal and moved on. He has generally made some critical remarks about Brits or feeling like an outsider in England, in DIRECT contrast to how he feels about other countries and their people (like saying the French are so much more X than Brits, rather than just simply complimenting the French and leaving it at that). These have been mild, somewhat ambiguous comments in isolation, but when taken altogether they come across like he doesn't feel much love for the Brits. It is very weird that he will go up to 3 years in between UK gigs. London is his hometown and it's not normal that he shuns it for such long periods of time. All of my favourite artists who are based in Toronto play here all the time. In fact a lot of UK artists will also come here 2 or 3 times a year when they are promoting an album even if they are at the same level of Mika. Anyway...this reaction about the Adelphi seems like such an unequivocal venting of his feelings about this. It's like Jemma's comment is some sort of proxy for his bad feelings about the UK - it was intolerant, mean, he HATED it. This is such an abnormally bitter and aggressive thing for him to say about anything or anyone and for him to say it about Jemma makes me think it had nothing to do with Jemma at all because it is so irrational.

That is also how I see that, especially because of the way he brought this up at a gig in France shortly afterwards and also the way he is pointing out how international the audience was vs one voice 'demanding' he sang in English. The two are not directly related as most of his international audience speaks no French, either. 

I don´t know you, but I totally agree with what I quoted. 

Same happens in Spain. Aggravated with the fact that he forgot the spanish he knew in exchange for italian and just to get an easier success on TV shows. Everybody can ask how spanish fans would feel if he do a gig in Spain and talk to us in italian. I saw it time ago: people complained. Is not the language. Is not a country. Is the way Mika is doing things during the last years. So, he has to be more careful about what he does in concert. The same he never plays "Live your life" with spanish words out of Spain. It´s easy. If you provoke you can get a bad reaction. Fans are alive, they are not puppets in front of you only saying praises at you. They have their opinions. And it´s important to listen to them. Because they are your fans. And your career depends on them... or not?

I disapprove what Mika did. And think that this fan is the weak part on this. So I am on the side of her. 

Yes he needs to handle the national audiences really carefully as in some countries he clearly created an expectation already and it could be difficult to live up to that. 

Edited by suzie
  • Like 2

I didn't know where to start quoting so just a few thoughts."Baby" is hardly the worst word he has heard. I guess it depends on how you say it? In real life discussions I sometimes say "you're such a baby!" in a very joking tone but to be honest I find telling people that they are acting in a childish/not mature way or simply can't handle things like an adult quite harsh. I wouldn't tell even to my own son that he is acting like a baby (even if it was literally true) because it sounds patronizing, I rather simply say "now you need to take responsibility about X"  because it's a fact (not that anyone likes that either).

A guide line I try to follow is to write things and words I could tell Mika face to face. Not because I think he ever reads or hears my words but because it helps me to keep things on an honest but still polite level. In real life I wouldn't talk to him in a flattering way, it would sound totally fake. And I don't know him on a personal level, we talk only rarely and it's always very short but I see him often so I feel some weird familiarity (meaning sometimes random things come out of my mouth). I always wish I could give him a polite and smart comment about his music or shows but in reality we talk maybe 5 words once a year and it's always a very weird short conversation.  I don't have much conversation skills and Finnish people are famous for not knowing small talk  :doh: It's a national shame!

So I just try to estimate what I could say face to face to him or to anyone I'm talking about and about this episode I wouldn't say he is a liar or being unprofessional or victimizing himself or acting like a baby. I don't think any of that. I would say he seemed hurt. Hurt either by that separate situation and the comment coming in the middle of his performance or by the whole issue and the whole thought of that not accepting his French side means not accepting him as a person. I would also say that maybe because he felt hurt he wasn't careful enough when he spoke in the interview or he simply didn't think it all through. I mean something went wrong. Just look around, there's a war zone. 

It's difficult to keep the balance between being honest and showing true feelings and still remembering someone's position and the impact their words can have. If this was about that particular comment he could have handled it privately or at least give a little background if the comment hurt him especially coming from a fan/fans who has been there since the beginning. And if it was more about feeling hurt because of the whole issue... Why not openly talk about it without naming anyone. We all want to hear him telling how he feels.  

About Mika not being the same as he was years ago. I've never thought he has changed as a person. I rather think he is different because he is older and that he probably sees the world differently than he used to see because of everything he has experienced and been through. Success, disappointments, pressure, money, the way people treat him as a celebrity and so many other things. His life style is very different than ours. I feel happier if I try to enjoy things how they are instead thinking how they used to be or could be in another reality. He speaks French on my left and Italian on my right and tells me to learn the f*cking language. It is what it is. I love spending time in France and Italy. I love many things happening at the moment. Symphony concerts, the latest album, the new mature tone in his voice, his charity work, his new way to go really close to the audience during concerts, watching and reading so many new interviews...

I just want to add that even I wouldn't say something or use some particular words myself it doesn't have to mean they are automatically rude coming from someone else. It all depends on personality and style and if the words "fit" in someone's mouth or not. I'm sure Mika thinks the same. And I think it's very hard to take criticism. I already have a negative image of myself and if someone criticize me it always feels just one more thing I can't do right or well and it's very heavy to handle. So if I give feedback to someone else I try to do it kindly, it doesn't mean not being honest. Maybe people giving very direct feedback can also handle feedback more easily when it's their turn? 

Sorry my post is so long, I don't usually write much these days. I'm obviously procrastinating some other things  :naughty:

thank you Nina, for this post and for remembering me of some ethics. You are right: patronizing is not a nice or respectful thing to do

Sorry, sometimes writing on a forum doesn't bring out the best of me. I hope that I would dare to say everything to Mika in his face. But even if I might, saying things to someone is not the same as saying things about someone.  

I'll be more careful.   

Edited by Pascale
  • Like 1

I'm surprised that Mika, who has always complained about bullying, is so oblivious to his own forays into bullying. Because singling out Jemma on two occasions for a tiny bit of concert banter, is uncalled-for bullying. Did he think nobody would hear about it because it was in an interview in Asia? Has he ever seen the sleuths in his own fanclub?   :doh:

"What is bullying?

Bullying is when people repeatedly and intentionally use words or actions against someone or a group of people to cause distress and risk to their wellbeing. These actions are usually done by people who have more influence or power over someone else, or who want to make someone else feel less powerful or helpless."

Heck, there are many of us who have stood down the front and engaged in all kinds of banter and heckling with Mika. One show in Japan comes to mind, and when I apologised to him later (which I happened to have the chance to do)  he told me he didn't mind what I said, as he had a "thicker skin than that". So why is his skin suddenly so thin now??? And Jemma's comment was not even particularly bad on the scale of things that have been called out over the years....!

He knew he was taking a risk singing BBB and yet he went ahead.  In the interview this story serves no purpose but to make HIM feel better about his choice, andin singling out a fan and embellishing his story, he shows total disregard to the outcome for that fan. Really Mika, is that really the most touching event of your career? Not meeting the refugee families? Not being given a plaque on the seat at the Royal Opera House by your fanclub? You need to put someone else down  to illustrate how touching one concert moment was?  :dunno: Why couldn't you just say, I was touched when fans got their flags out from all around the world? Why preface it with hateful talk? 

The behaviour of Mika fans on social media has been appalling these past couple of days, ganging up against Jemma.  It's like crowd-fueled mass hysterical BULLYING. Poor Mika was heckled at a show. In return, poor Jemma gets her life intruded upon by thousands of people she doesn't even know! You people should be ashamed of yourselves. Mika does not need you to defend him. Mika is not a victim here, although he has tried to make it out that way. Nope, Mika has all the power. He stands on stage and can do what he likes, and can say and sing what he likes. Even if what he says severely disturbs the private life of one fan. Really Mika? Really MFC?  :sneaky2: 

• Like 10

I'm surprised that Mika, who has always complained about bullying, is so oblivious to his own forays into bullying. Because singling out Jemma on two occasions for a tiny bit of concert banter, is uncalled-for bullying. Did he think nobody would hear about it because it was in an interview in Asia? Has he ever seen the sleuths in his own fanclub? :doh:

"What is bullying?

Bullying is when people repeatedly and intentionally use words or actions against someone or a group of people to cause distress and risk to their wellbeing. These actions are usually done by people who have more influence or power over someone else, or who want to make someone else feel less powerful or helpless."

Heck, there are many of us who have stood down the front and engaged in all kinds of banter and heckling with Mika. One show in Japan comes to mind, and when I apologised to him later (which I happened to have the chance to do) he told me he didn't mind what I said, as he had a "thicker skin than that". So why is his skin suddenly so thin now??? And Jemma's comment was not even particularly bad on the scale of things that have been called out over the years....!

He knew he was taking a risk singing BBB and yet he went ahead. In the interview this story serves no purpose but to make HIM feel better about his choice, andin singling out a fan and embellishing his story, he shows total disregard to the outcome for that fan. Really Mika, is that really the most touching event of your career? Not meeting the refugee families? Not being given a plaque on the seat at the Royal Opera House by your fanclub? You need to put someone else down to illustrate how touching one concert moment was? :dunno: Why couldn't you just say, I was touched when fans got their flags out from all around the world? Why preface it with hateful talk?

The behaviour of Mika fans on social media has been appalling these past couple of days, ganging up against Jemma. It's like crowd-fueled mass hysterical BULLYING. Poor Mika was heckled at a show. In return, poor Jemma gets her life intruded upon by thousands of people she doesn't even know! You people should be ashamed of yourselves. Mika does not need you to defend him. Mika is not a victim here, although he has tried to make it out that way. Nope, Mika has all the power. He stands on stage and can do what he likes, and can say and sing what he likes. Even if what he says severely disturbs the private life of one fan. Really Mika? Really MFC? :sneaky2:

*applauds*

• Like 2

It's not that he mentioned the incident, it's that he has blown it so far out of proportion and sounds downright bitter after 6 months. He could have told the story about the flags by just saying he felt hurt, he didn't have to make out like he's the victim of a hate crime. Some have tried to downplay what he said but go read the comments on Jemma's YT and Twitter. The word "xenophobe" is being thrown around everywhere. What Mika was implying was very clear and totally ridiculous.

I'm surprised that Mika, who has always complained about bullying, is so oblivious to his own forays into bullying. Because singling out Jemma on two occasions for a tiny bit of concert banter, is uncalled-for bullying. Did he think nobody would hear about it because it was in an interview in Asia? Has he ever seen the sleuths in his own fanclub?   :doh:

"What is bullying?

This is exactly the point I've been trying to make. I would never use the word bullying because it has been so overused, but there is a clear imbalance of power here. It is offensive to me that anyone is suggesting that we should be worrying more about Mika's feelings than the fan he has thrown under a bus on television. I get that he can also feel vulnerable on stage but come on. It is 5 seconds of his life and you can tell from the video that it was not any sort of public humiliation for him at all. You can't even tell anything happened. The consequences he has faced for what Jemma said are non-existent. But she is being harassed and hurt 6 months later because of what he's done. I can't believe any of this even needs to be said. People are so blind by their adoration of a stranger they can't see sense.

• Like 3

I just want to add that even I wouldn't say something or use some particular words myself it doesn't have to mean they are automatically rude coming from someone else. It all depends on personality and style and if the words "fit" in someone's mouth or not. I'm sure Mika thinks the same. And I think it's very hard to take criticism. I already have a negative image of myself and if someone criticize me it always feels just one more thing I can't do right or well and it's very heavy to handle. So if I give feedback to someone else I try to do it kindly, it doesn't mean not being honest. Maybe people giving very direct feedback can also handle feedback more easily when it's their turn? 

Nina, you are a lovely lady and I am sure you do lots of things well.  Don't be  so hard on yourself.  And I know you love animals, you will always be high on my list for that alone.

• Like 2

This is exactly the point I've been trying to make. I would never use the word bullying because it has been so overused, but there is a clear imbalance of power here. It is offensive to me that anyone is suggesting that we should be worrying more about Mika's feelings than the fan he has thrown under a bus on television. I get that he can also feel vulnerable on stage but come on. It is 5 seconds of his life and you can tell from the video that it was not any sort of public humiliation for him at all. You can't even tell anything happened. The consequences he has faced for what Jemma said are non-existent. But she is being harassed and hurt 6 months later because of what he's done. I can't believe any of this even needs to be said. People are so blind by their adoration of a stranger they can't see sense.

It's not just 5 seconds of his life. If we believe him, the impact on him was at least during a big part of the concert. And the thing might even have a bigger impact on him now. I don't know about that, no idea how things and discussions on internet effect him. But it's not as if he is bullet proof because he is a famous idol and as if there will be no consequences for him as well.

He may have been overreacting at the concert to the shouting and it sure wasn't right to talk about Jemma like that. But that doesn't mean he is responsable for all the hatred she is getting now. I blame the people that harass her for that, not Mika. And maybe all of us because we keep talking about it.    

It's not just 5 seconds of his life. If we believe him, the impact on him was at least during a big part of the concert. And the thing might even have a bigger impact on him now. I don't know about that, no idea how things and discussions on internet effect him. But it's not as if he is bullet proof because he is a famous idol and as if there will be no consequences for him as well.

He may have been overreacting at the concert to the shouting and it sure wasn't right to talk about Jemma like that. But that doesn't mean he is responsable for all the hatred she is getting now. I blame the people that harass her for that, not Mika. And maybe all of us because we keep talking about it.    

The key point.

• Like 2