2015 - Adelphi Theatre, London 18 October - REPORTS/PICS/VIDS

crazyaboutmika

I think this may be the crux of the matter and sort of a vicious circle: Mika feels (at least on some level) rejected by the UK and much more warmly embraced by France (plus some other countries). This has led to him embracing the French part of his identity even more. Unfortunately, the UK fans in turn feel rejected by him and want "the British Mika" back, while he seems to think along the lines of "if you want me, you have to accept all of me, even the French part, because this is who I am". So he sings a French song in London and when someone expresses disapproval, he doesn't see this just a criticism of his setlist, but as a rejection of him personally. At least that's my opinion on why he reacted so strongly to something seemingly insignificant.

:thumb_yello: Imo, its a good summary to this marathon discussion, which still seems to continue :shocked: As Deb wrote yesterday in the Asian Press thread; "everything happens for a reason"   :) Yes, I agree, and so also this unlucky episode at Adelphi  ;)  This spesific story isn't easy to understand.  After three years gig absence from London, except from the short performance in Hyde Park four months earlier, both MIKA and his fans surely had very high expectations to this evening, but unfortunately something went wrong :( It's all very sad,  especially for the persons directly involved :( Now we just have to hope that things will get better, without any drama - when MIKA again will visit his hometown, with a new show  at the iconic London Palladium, in less than three months!   :)  In a recent interview,  MIKA said that this place is very special for him - because he was on this stage for the first time, as a little boy :wub: I do hope it will be a happy and joyful reunion,  with his UK fans, and everybody from abroad, coming together for this special event - I hope and pray for a really HAPPY ENDING... :wub:  :fisch: 

Love, love

me        

• Like 2

Why do you keep saying he plays BBB purely for self-indulgence, why do you have to keep thinking him in a negative way? You are not him, you do not know what he thought.

He played it in not only French speaking countries but also other non-French speaking countries too, and in these non-French speaking countries he got good response most times.

BBB is the first song on Vevo, yeah maybe a lot UK fans do not know it, but all the foreign fans fly to London know it for sure and a lot of them like it. ( You can hear the loud "Qui" when he asked in French) . Don't say he does not know that before the show, he knows there are fans fly from all over the world to see him, a large part of these fans are from France, it's the special nature of his fans.

You know I don't see the problem, he does so many gigs in France where he presumably sings more French songs and talks in French. If people love the French songs so much, just go to a French gig. There are plenty to choose from and those gigs would be nearer for most of the people who want to hear  French songs.

One gig in the UK in 3 or 4 years? It really is not too much to ask for him to sing and speak in English.

It may be, in your view, the special nature of his fans, but the majority of a UK audience are just not interested , they want to hear songs they are familiar with or barring that at least ones they can understand.

YOU don't understand how "fans" can criticize. I don't understand how "fans" unconditionally accept everything a performer does, good or bad and make excuses for them. 

• Like 3

I keep arguing for this, because if today some UK fans stop him from singing French songs, tomorrow some US fans could do the same thing to stop him singing French songs too. This could set a bad precedent that other people can follow. You said here multiple times that you didn't want him to sing BBB in US too.

:teehee:  Wow what a world disaster that would be! Call in the United Nations. Get a grip.

Jemma, you have caused an international incident! 

Edited by babspanky

He is selling much better in France, right? Maybe that is why he constantly want to please them more?

No problem!  He can play as many gigs and sing as many French songs as he likes  there!  Hooray, problem solved.

Edited by babspanky

Just putting my two cents in, even though I have no business here sorry, but why do you guys have to focus so much on this negative stuff that all spiraled from one song choice and the chain reaction from him performing it?

You guys are just privileged enough to be able to see him live! I am not saying anyone's opinion is less valid than mine, but i'm just super jealous that you guys get to see him and you complain about one song choice instead of thinking of how lucky you were able to be there!

Obviously feelings have been hurt on both Mika and the fans' side, which is extremely unfortunate and things shouldn't have gone the way they did. I just wish people could share their opinions and move on without trying to put down someone else's opinion or turning this into some kind of war.

Sorry if I offended anyone, I'm just trying to just say my opinion as someone who has never experienced the joy of seeing Mika live.

Thanks

• Like 23

Just putting my two cents in, even though I have no business here sorry, but why do you guys have to focus so much on this negative stuff that all spiraled from one song choice and the chain reaction from him performing it?

You guys are just privileged enough to be able to see him live! I am not saying anyone's opinion is less valid than mine, but i'm just super jealous that you guys get to see him and you complain about one song choice instead of thinking of how lucky you were able to be there!

Obviously feelings have been hurt on both Mika and the fans' side, which is extremely unfortunate and things shouldn't have gone the way they did. I just wish people could share their opinions and move on without trying to put down someone else's opinion or turning this into some kind of war.

Sorry if I offended anyone, I'm just trying to just say my opinion as someone who has never experienced the joy of seeing Mika live.

Thanks

Fair comment, can't argue with that.

• Like 1

Thanks

Aww bless you. I hope you get an opportunity to see him soon!

• Like 2

It makes perfect sense.

These are the top 15 songs on Mika's UK itunes chart. These are a fair representation of the songs people will want and expect to hear when they go to a gig in the UK. If I recall Mika did not play 5 of these songs. He did not play FIVE of his most popular songs in the UK and instead chose one song that most people do not have any interest in. This is total self-indulgence and is not about giving the fans what they want.

Grace Kelly

Lollipops

Happy Ending

Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)

Love Todays

Popular Song

Popular Song (feat. Ariana Grande)

Any Other World

All She Wants

Talk About You

Rain

We Are Golden

Relax, Take It Easy

Staring At the Sun

Grace Kelly

Are you seriously saying that Mika should devise a set list on the basis of I-tunes popularity? With no flexibility to play new songs or songs the audience may not have heard or songs that provide space for some creative staging? So no Toy Boy? no Promise Land? or Over my Shoulder? Because I-tunes users haven't picked up on them? Since when have I-tunes users been synonymous with Mika fans? It is not a representative sample. Popular Song (feat. Ariana Grande) wouldn't be so high on Mika fan votes alone - AG has a massive fanbase.

Set lists are part of the creative process and shouldn't be dictated by some pseudo-scientific statistical nonsense. I'm not saying he shouldn't play hits - that would be silly - but there should always be room for something new or different to be included.

• Like 6

So if 80% of the audience don't really like it, and 20% do, how does that work? I'm just playing devils advocate here, I'm curious to how that would work.

Suppose it was actually the other way round, and 80% were happy to hear it? Why should a vocal minority determine Mika's set list?

• Like 1

Also, may I add that Mika is not some heavenly perfect creature. He is human and therefore has flaws. I feel like how he dealt with the situation was not the best way.

Mika has been in the music industry for a while but that doesn't mean he won't stumble and make mistakes, and obviously the way he dealt with being offended at his concert was a mistake, but that is because he is human.

Everyone has certain traits that aren't exactly desirable, maybe one of those traits for Mika is being defensive. I know it's a trait I have, and it's not always a good one, but when has anyone lived a mistake free and perfect life?

Jemma, my heart breaks for what you must be experiencing and I am glad that you have some amazing friends who are here to support you on the club.

I'm just a bit upset by how this discussion has turned into a war of words between fans. I hope I haven't upset anyone, I'm only 17 and I have no right to lecture anyone, I've barely experienced life tbh.

I am once again, very very sorry if anyone has been offended by my comments.

• Like 3

You know I don't see the problem, he does so many gigs in France where he presumably sings more French songs and talks in French. If people love the French songs so much, just go to a French gig. There are plenty to choose from and those gigs would be nearer for most of the people who want to hear  French songs.

One gig in the UK in 3 or 4 years? It really is not too much to ask for him to sing and speak in English.

It may be, in your view, the special nature of his fans, but the majority of a UK audience are just not interested , they want to hear songs they are familiar with or barring that at least ones they can understand.

YOU don't understand how "fans" can criticize. I don't understand how "fans" unconditionally accept everything a performer does, good or bad and make excuses for them. 

We don't know if it's the majority, you're just assuming that.

That's why I have a problem with your point of view in this discussion. It's certain that there are some fans (could be the majority) that would prefer if Mika would only sing English songs. But it's also certain that there are also fans that like (some) French songs and that would like him to sing for example BBB or LMD.

And then we have a big group that doesn't really care and just want to have an good evening in total.

Of course you're  have the right to let Mika know that you don't like to hear the French songs just as well as other people have the right to do requests. But it's a request, he can choose not to follow that up. And some of you seem so angry and disappointed if he doesn't follow your request that I have the feeling you almost find it obligatory that he does.That last part is what people have a problem with here, I think. Not with your wishes or disappointments. 

I could just as well say: It really is not too much to ask for you to listen to only one song in French.

It's not that Mika doesn't give a s**t about your wishes. He reduced the amount of French songs. He chose to do BBB which is a song that is a big succes at most concerts, so he might have expected that it would win over the Frenchosceptics (like, I believe EMD did for some of them). He feels nervous about singing in London, so he does care about what you are thinking. (if the French dilemma is one of the things that he was nervous about of course but I'm almost sure of that)

Last but not least, Mika really likes singing BBB, he likes to be free in his song choice and he likes to show his French side in England. His wishes count as well, just as much as your wishes. Of course you pay for the tickets but you also want to see a happy artist on the scene, that doesn't feel pressured, don't you?

However we are running in circles, all the arguments have been said. It's a bit like a quarrel between two lovers (Mika and the old fans/Frenchosceptics), both of you have a point and none of you wants to give in. And now the fight has become rather ugly (because of the comments in the interview and the sad results of that for Jemma).

Hopefully, now Mika has shown how he feels about the gig incident and about his uncomfort about the dislike of the French songs and now everything's on the table, there will be a change in the deadlock that seems to haven been there for a long time.

If so, I only regret that that had to be done at the expense of Jemma's well being. I absolutely think she didn't deserve that and I can very well understand the anger about Mika's comments.

• Like 11

Are you seriously saying that Mika should devise a set list on the basis of I-tunes popularity? With no flexibility to play new songs or songs the audience may not have heard or songs that provide space for some creative staging? So no Toy Boy? no Promise Land? or Over my Shoulder?

No, what I am saying is that he shouldn't completely disregard 40% of it. These are only 13 songs. That leaves plenty of room for other songs. This is not statistical nonsense, it is common sense that you do not take an entire 40% of your top selling songs, throw them in the bin and replace them with a song that has sold exactly 0 copies. Or maybe you do and your audience starts booing when you ask a room full of English people parlez-vous francais? In that case you should just accept the consequences of your poor choice with some humility instead of throwing a strop.

• Like 3

Of course you're  have the right to let Mika know that you don't like to hear the French songs just as well as other people have the right to do requests. But it's a request, he can choose not to follow that up. And some of you seem so angry and disappointed if he doesn't follow your request that I have the feeling you almost find it obligatory that he does.That last part is what people have a problem with here, I think. Not with your wishes or disappointments. 

The only thing I am angry about is what he did to Jemma. If Mika's priority is self-indulgence he can knock himself out but he should stop complaining about the consequences. It is nothing but narcissm to expect people to value French language music because he feels it is part of who he is. I do not see the world through Mika's eyes and ears and neither should any individual with their own sense of self.

• Like 3

Also, may I add that Mika is not some heavenly perfect creature. He is human and therefore has flaws. I feel like how he dealt with the situation was not the best way.

Mika has been in the music industry for a while but that doesn't mean he won't stumble and make mistakes, and obviously the way he dealt with being offended at his concert was a mistake, but that is because he is human.

Everyone has certain traits that aren't exactly desirable, maybe one of those traits for Mika is being defensive. I know it's a trait I have, and it's not always a good one, but when has anyone lived a mistake free and perfect life?

Jemma, my heart breaks for what you must be experiencing and I am glad that you have some amazing friends who are here to support you on the club.

I'm just a bit upset by how this discussion has turned into a war of words between fans. I hope I haven't upset anyone, I'm only 17 and I have no right to lecture anyone, I've barely experienced life tbh.

I am once again, very very sorry if anyone has been offended by my comments.

You are entitled to have your say, as we all are. And no reasonable person would take offence at your reasonable points, reasonably made :hug:

• Like 3

Suppose it was actually the other way round, and 80% were happy to hear it? Why should a vocal minority determine Mika's set list?

If that were the case, then the vocal minority would have been shouted down very loudly on the night. I can't say I heard that happen where I was sitting.

Just to go to the point you made on Christnes post. He has songs on all the albums, that have never been performed live, and fans and once again I am going to say non MFCers, probably go along thinking he might play one of these, but he doesn't, and he plays a song they have never heard of before, and can't sing along to, because they don't know the words. They may come away a bit disappointed, because they were excited that they may hear that particular song live finally.

Yes, they may hear BBB for the first time and possibly like it, but then again they may not, and yes it's his setlist and he can do what he wants with it. But he only does the odd gig here now, and for the fans he still has got here, some of whom can't afford to travel to London, and want gigs in their city/town, may dwindle further, and at some point we'll get to a stage he may not think it's even worth doing a gig here at all. This is my fear.

If he wants to do the French songs, then make them more available here, get them on his iTunes catalogue, and promote them.

But this won't happen, because he isn't even pushing the English songs here.

Every English song he has kind of released here, I have pushed on FB and Twitter, to try and help get attention for them, I even made myself look a complete prat over Origin Of Love, as we were told it was being released as a single, and I spent days leading up to the 'release date' plugging it on FB and Twitter, only to find on that day absolutely zero promo from his end, no explanation from the record company on why it hadn't been released.

Don't get me wrong, if he wants to embrace his French side, that's his choice, but he has to realise that if he wants to do that, he's going to have to expect a little resistance from anyone who doesn't understand what the heck is going on, when they haven't seen him perform in years.

• Like 2

That's why I have a problem with your point of view in this discussion. It's certain that there are some fans (could be the majority) that would prefer if Mika would only sing English songs. But it's also certain that there are also fans that like (some) French songs and that would like him to sing for example BBB or LMD.

And then we have a big group that doesn't really care and just want to have an good evening in total.

Exactly - it's not as if the whole audience joined in the heckling or sat down or walked out or even looked bored. I remember it as being fun song, and one of the highlights.

• Like 1

I could just as well say: It really is not too much to ask for you to listen to only one song in French.

It's not that Mika doesn't give a s**t about your wishes. He reduced the amount of French songs. He chose to do BBB which is a song that is a big succes at most concerts, so he might have expected that it would win over the Frenchosceptics (like, I believe EMD did for some of them). He feels nervous about singing in London, so he does care about what you are thinking. (if the French dilemma is one of the things that he was nervous about of course but I'm almost sure of that)

Last but not least, Mika really likes singing BBB, he likes to be free in his song choice and he likes to show his French side in England. His wishes count as well, just as much as your wishes. Of course you pay for the tickets but you also want to see a happy artist on the scene, that doesn't feel pressured, don't you?

However we are running in circles, all the arguments have been said. It's a bit like a quarrel between two lovers (Mika and the old fans/Frenchosceptics), both of you have a point and none of you wants to give in. And now the fight has become rather ugly (because of the comments in the interview and the sad results of that for Jemma).

Hopefully, now Mika has shown how he feels about the gig incident and about his uncomfort about the dislike of the French songs and now everything's on the table, there will be a change in the deadlock that seems to haven been there for a long time.

If so, I only regret that that had to be done at the expense of Jemma's well being. I absolutely think she didn't deserve that and I can very well understand the anger about Mika's comments.

No I don't know, but I think it's a fair assumption as none of these songs have been released in the UK,

I am also sorry for the effect that this has had on Jemma and on principle I object to  being subjected to French language songs I don't want to hear when we get so few gigs in the UK these days, but people are very much mistaken if they think this has affected me (or my friends)  in any other way.

I've seen Mika a lot, I've been to some great gigs, done some interesting things in Mikaland and it was all mostly fun at the time.

I haven't been so keen on the direction his career has been going for some time and slowly but surely my interest in Mika has waned. 

I've met some lifelong friends through Mika, which I can't thank him enough for.

I've also enjoyed this thread, it's been quite like old times.  :wink2:

Edited by babspanky
  • Like 2

No, what I am saying is that he shouldn't completely disregard 40% of it. These are only 13 songs. That leaves plenty of room for other songs. This is not statistical nonsense, it is common sense that you do not take an entire 40% of your top selling songs, throw them in the bin and replace them with a song that has sold exactly 0 copies. Or maybe you do and your audience starts booing when you ask a room full of English people parlez-vous francais? In that case you should just accept the consequences of your poor choice with some humility instead of throwing a strop.

I didn't here anyone booing BBB at the Adelphi. It was a great gig. Mika must be doing something right to get such a good reaction. Statistics had nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

I didn't here anyone booing BBB at the Adelphi. It was a great gig. Mika must be doing something right to get such a good reaction. Statistics had nothing to do with it.

I am talking about the disapproving "no"s when he asked parlez-vous francais. There was plenty of that. :naughty:

I am talking about the disapproving "no"s when he asked parlez-vous francais. There was plenty of that. :naughty:

Disapproving? or just honest? I don't speak much French - I recognise odd words, that's about it, so I would answer no. But I like BBB - I understand it in a way that doesn't require words - it's in the music, and the way he sings it

I've met some lifelong friends through Mika, which I can't thank him enough for.

Indeed. I don't understand why people characterize differences of opinion as fighting. It is the whole purpose of message boards. And I have to roll my eyes at the passive aggressive status updates on the front page about "no drama". People descend on a 6-month old thread about a gig they did not attend precisely because they want to witness some drama. And then contribute to it in their sanctimonious way in order to draw attention to themselves by announcing they are above it all. :lmfao:

We did have some fun times :naughty:

• Like 2

Disapproving? or just honest? I don't speak much French - I recognise odd words, that's about it, so I would answer no. But I like BBB - I understand it in a way that doesn't require words - it's in the music, and the way he sings it

I dislike it precisely because I can understand it and I find it ridiculous. :naughty:

But we'll just have to agree to disagree on that. As abealma says he doesn't care what any of us think so it is neither here nor there. And if I know Mika, BBB will be on the setlist in June, along with some more French songs. Because although he sucks up to the locals in every single city he plays in, it seems his attitude towards the UK is always "f*ck you".

• Like 3

Whether I live in a English speaking country or not, you are in no position to point out I post misspelling comments. It's very impolite to classify people to groups based on the flaws in their figure. It's equally impolite to refer people to "a group with misspelling comments".   

Like the way I realize it's none of my business if MIKA does not mind being harshly criticized by MFCers, in this case she does not mind, so it's none of you business.

Ok, so obviously my post did not make it obvious why I was using the words I did, so let me give it one more try and explain the background....

When I started to read this thread I found a string of funny comments by you, posting from the US and asking a native speaker not to use words you don't understand. I also found you engaged in some utterly ridiculous conversation about the meaning of a phase unknown to you that you tried to understand with the help of Google pictures ... At that point I was about to step in and recommend you refer to a dictionary or an online Thesaurus to figure out meanings of words rather than sticking to your interpretation that was based on some cartoon.

In the end, I didn't do that but checked your MFC posts in the news section to see who is the group (the  'WE')  you are talking in the name of. I did not get closer to the answer but the picure captions I saw from you did make me draw my conclusions. However, most certainly I would not have not pointed it out had I not witnessed a conversation on this thread in which you practically wanted other members to adjust their English to the level you understand.

I hope it is clear now. Any learner of a second language gets my appreciation by default (I am one as well) but preaching native speakers about the vocabulary they are meant to use when you also  have significant gaps calls for nothing but the urgent need for a reality check.   

Edited by suzie
  • Like 1

No I don't know, but I think it's a fair assumption as none of these songs have been released in the UK,

I am also sorry for the effect that this has had on Jemma and on principle I object to  being subjected to French language songs I don't want to hear when we get so few gigs in the UK these days, but people are very much mistaken if they think this has affected me (or my friends)  in any other way.

I've seen Mika a lot, I've been to some great gigs, done some interesting things in Mikaland and it was all mostly fun at the time.

I haven't been so keen on the direction his career has been going for some time and slowly but surely my interest in Mika has waned. 

You could have fooled me. Or actually you did fool  me. And then they say we Dutch are direct. I imagined you all sitting behind the computer, like this.

angry1-584x340.jpg

I'm slowly getting used to the way of communicating here . It's just a bit confusing that there are so many different ways of doing that on the Forum. But let's say that's a challenge.

I had fun too. At least people are reacting to my posts in this thread. :thumb_yello:

Edited by Pascale
  • Like 3