2015 - Adelphi Theatre, London 18 October - REPORTS/PICS/VIDS

crazyaboutmika

• 2 months later...

Firstly, what a great set - good mix of old and new, and OMS  :wub: - LOVE that song!

Secondly, I was in purgatory, i.e. the dress circle. NEVER AGAIN! For the first third of the show no-one stood up. I mean, how can you SIT during BG, for goodness sake? Eventually when everyone did get up (forgotten what song it was), they all sat down again at the end of the song leaving just four of us standing, at which point the person behind started 'tut-tutting', so we had to sit again. It was indeed purgatory for me until towards the end of the show when the rest of the dress circle finally discovered that they actually had feet and stood up (especially when I could see lots of people I knew in the stalls having a much better time :(

And finally, I can't believe anyone is moaning about him doing a song in French. Most people in non-English-speaking countries have to attend concerts by artists who speak English all the time, and I don't hear them complaining. It wasn't like he did the whole gig in French - just the one song!

And now, all I want is another gig! Anywhere I can stand up and dance. And afford to get to. Not much to ask! :teehee:   

now we know he was upset about being told off by a fan not to sing French songs . HURTS should be heard by anyone who thinks words are not hurtful

now we know he was upset about being told off by a fan not to sing French songs . HURTS should be heard by anyone who thinks words are not hurtful

It's sad to hear that he was hurt by the comment in the Adelphi. But I guess his words will be very painful for the fan in question also. Maybe we should leave it between the two of them? By the way your words could hurt as well.

• Like 1

Oh well, he has said equally hurtful things about her, not to mention totally dismissing his UK audience for the past 6 years even though they are the ones who supported him first. The hurt goes both ways.

I find it remarkable that Mika's takeaway from this story is that it's a great thing that a huge proportion of the audience were foreigners instead of Brits, which is exactly the problem. He is really clueless. :doh:

• Like 2

Maybe we should leave it between the two of them?

Maybe Mika should leave it between the two of them. He is making himself out to be some kind of victim here when he obviously has all the power in this situation (and is abusing it).

• Like 3

I find it remarkable that Mika's takeaway from this story is that it's a great thing that a huge proportion of the audience were foreigners instead of Brits, which is exactly the problem. He is really clueless. :doh:

I didn't get that impression all. I thought he simply liked the idea that his fans come from everywhere and want to be together and united and are proud to show it (like happened in Adelphi with the flags).

Maybe Mika should leave it between the two of them. He is making himself out to be some kind of victim here when he obviously has all the power in this situation (and is abusing it).

That's what makes me think. He is always the one with the power, fans are generally not on the same level with him. His acceptance is more important to us than ours can ever be to him on individual level. Usually he's using his power in smaller ways, either giving positive attention or not and this is the first time I see him pointing anyone in a negative way and the thought of that doesn't feel good even I totally understand his feelings in the situation. Meaning I never understood how one French song can bother anyone and even if it can it's his show and his set list. And he is human and can feel hurt just like any of us when people criticize or judge him.

This was just something that came to my mind about the power issue. Maybe you were referring to something else or maybe you (or someone else) don't personally need his acceptance at all. I just think that generally fans do and I would lie if I said it doesn't mean anything to me. 

Edited by tiibet
  • Like 3

I didn't get that impression all. I thought he simply liked the idea that his fans come from everywhere and want to be together and united and are proud to show it (like in happened Adelphi with the flags).

Yes of course, that is what he meant. I just find it remarkable that he doesn't understand what this actually symbolizes in relation to a UK fan criticizing his setlist.

He is always the one with the power, fans are generally not on the same level with him. His acceptance is more important to us than ours can ever be to him on individual level.

<...>

This was just something that came to my mind about the power issue. Maybe you were referring to something else or maybe you (or someone else) don't personally need his acceptance at all.

Yes that is part of what I meant. I also mean that he has a huge platform to publicly criticize her on TV or in front of large audiences at his gigs, when all she did is make one remark to him while she was sitting a couple of metres away from him. I guess the acceptance of his fans is actually important to him but it is sad that he has chosen to express it by personally attacking one of them just because they criticized his choice of setlist. He used to be stronger than that and now it seems he just wants to surround himself by sycophants who praise everything he does equally.

• Like 2

Wow... Talk about overreacting, Mika...I was very disappointed to hear that interview, so much that it brought me back here which is not something I do these days anymore. I guess that speaks for itself about how upsetting I found his words to be  :teehee: 

I really can't believe that Mika himself buys that story though (he was victimised by an intolerant fan, etc) and if he actually does, then I think that he's gone too far in a direction that I wish he had never gone in...How can he not see this reaction for what it was, instead of trying to portray himself as a victim and insulting someone calling them an ugly thing? I am genuinely disappointed by this reaction. And so long after the event as well? What is he trying to achieve? Did he think that these words would make for a good "sob story" and that because it was in Asia it would never be heard by the person he's criticising? Absolutely terrible.

Also, Jemma was definitely NOT the only one complaining about that song on the night. A few of others were, me included, and I'm sure that he would have seen that, but of course that doesn't fit in very well with the poor widdle victim story, does it? 

Seriously, I am very disappointed by all this. Talk about alienating your (UK) fanbase even more than you have with the disregard for what works here and what they would rather hear...and again, I am as multi cultural and open minded as they come, so this is certainly nothing to do with me being intolerant of his multi cultural background, etc. If anything I have lived in more places and spoken more languages than him, so he can not use that one on me to justify why I don't want to hear his French songs here. It's just that I don't think they are good, that is all.  :wink2: 

Oh well, he has said equally hurtful things about her, not to mention totally dismissing his UK audience for the past 6 years even though they are the ones who supported him first. The hurt goes both ways.

Indeed. It beggars belief for sure. Let me do that smiley again, as it conveys it all very well:  :doh:

Ok so i heard what Mika said about me today. It really hurts. I made this video to explain my feelings on it. I'm so upset.
http://youtu.be/2LJxr5siObs

Great video, Jemma. I think that you make it abundantly clear and painfully obvious that you are completely the opposite to what he made you out to be in his interview.....I hope he gets to see it and feels ashamed of his comments, I really do.          

Yes of course, that is what he meant. I just find it remarkable that he doesn't understand what this actually symbolizes in relation to a UK fan criticizing his setlist.

Yes that is part of what I meant. I also mean that he has a huge platform to publicly criticize her on TV or in front of large audiences at his gigs, when all she did is make one remark to him while she was sitting a couple of metres away from him. I guess the acceptance of his fans is actually important to him but it is sad that he has chosen to express it by personally attacking one of them just because they criticized his choice of setlist. He used to be stronger than that and now it seems he just wants to surround himself by sycophants who praise everything he does equally.

Exactly! Honestly, it seems to me like he has not had enough people around him who are honest about things and has lost the ability to handle reality...

• Like 6

I think I should point out that the UK fan Mika criticised was only saying out loud what a lot of the UK audience were thinking

But Mika took in consideration that he was in UK. In Luxembourg we got four French songs  :naughty: .

Anyway, is it appropriate to speak in behalf of all the english speaking community? I have read that quite a few British fans do like BBB, at least live.

I was also quite surprised by MIka's reaction. Perhaps, he wanted everything to go as well as possible in his only gig in UK and Jemmalee's reaction to BBB was like a stone in a shoe.  

• Like 2

I think I should point out that the UK fan Mika criticised was only saying out loud what a lot of the UK audience were thinking

Yes and others were vocalizing at the time (including me). But I guess that does not fit in with his narrative of hoards of tolerant fans embracing his diversity with unconditional love, in contrast to one lone hateful xenophobe. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

But Mika took in consideration that he was in UK. In Luxembourg we got four French songs  :naughty: .

Anyway, is it appropriate to speak in behalf of all the english speaking community? I have read that quite a few British fans do like BBB, at least live.

I was also quite surprised by MIka's reaction. Perhaps, he wanted everything to go as well as possible in his only gig in UK and Jemmalee's reaction to BBB was like a stone in a shoe.  

I think you could take any Mika song in any language and there would be fans who loved it and fans who didn't like it :naughty:

I think if he really wanted everything to go as well as possible in his only 2015 UK gig he would have remembered the reaction to his performance of a French song the last time he appeared.

• Like 2

Yes and others were vocalizing at the time (including me). But I guess that does not fit in with his narrative of hoards of tolerant fans embracing his diversity with unconditional love, in contrast to one lone hateful xenophobe. :rolleyes:

:shocked:  You mean hordes? (Autocorrect)?

• Like 2

I'd reply to this as well but it wouldn't be polite and Deb would have to ban me. Disappointed Mika, very disappointed.

You might need to change your signature :teehee:

I don't mind Boum Boum Boum actually, but there's a ton of French songs I've not even listened to, like Blame It On The Weather or Karen or whatever her name is. I have no interest. Majority of people I know have - openly admitted on here - that these are not very good songs. Everyone is perfectly entitled to their opinion, both pretty and ugly, but whether it affects you or not is down to you. Mika can talk about bullying till the cows come home - I was bullied at school too, my best friend is gay and was bullied for that also, I've seen and witnessed first hand how terrible people can be, and how it can affect you both then and in the present times. I also understand how these things affect people differently, but I also come from a dance/performance background and what people need to realise is that there's downright insulting and then there's criticism and an opinion. As Mika is a f***ing musician, who should be listening to advice and criticisms all the time when it comes to producing music and putting a show together, I'd expect much better, less bratty behaviour. 

I've listened to songs in Italian. Hell, I listen to songs in Japanese and Korean on a regular bloody basis. I've listened to music from Sweden, Finland... it's not like I'm against foreign music. What people need to understand is that Mika has been bouncing around France and Italy for the past billion years and barely paid any attention to his UK fanbase, which by the way *ahem* is where it all started from in the first place. I've also been a big fan since the beginning - winning competitions and made fan videos and the like. Back in the day, LiCM got a very mixed reception in the UK, it was like Marmite. Mika even admitted that, he was PROUD of that. People loved it and they hated it. Did he mind? No, in fact, he said HE LOVED DIVIDING PEOPLE AND DIDN'T WANT TO BE IN THE MIDDLE.

How can he have gone from being so confident to flapping around like a wet flannel? Like seriously, what the hell changed? So what Jemma didn't like the French song in the UK setlist, lots of people didn't. As I said, he practically abandoned the UK, and fair enough he got gigs elsewhere - you go where the money is and clearly French and Italian TV want him, and that's great exposure for him. In France and Italy. Where he's learned the language and sings songs in their language. 

After being forgotten about for so long, and literally having one small gig every year (as opposed to gigs around the country, like in the good ol' days), I think it's perfectly understandable that some of us are upset that French songs would be included in a UK setlist. The fact that he bangs on about how many people there were in the audience from different countries is irrelevant - they've all come to the UK. For a UK gig. They clearly have the money to go abroad and see him, and if they wanted Mika to sing French songs then perhaps go to a French gig. And the way Mika actually took the piss on stage saying "French isn't hard" - just because it is a European language with ties to the English language doesn't mean that we should just accept and be happy about him playing his French songs at a UK gig. Do I actually have to learn the bloody French language to enjoy a UK gig now, should His Majesty want to ignore the wishes of his "Loyal Subjects"? (Who also contribute to his wages????)

Sorry for being harsh, but I am calling him out on this, because he is a liar. Also saying that he talked less to the audience because of Jemma's reaction is nothing short of bullsh*t, he didn't stop chattering the entire night. 

I think Jemma is perfectly entitled to defend herself. She made one huff about one French song. Mika took the piss out of the protests on stage (because there was more than one protest) by telling everyone that French isn't hard, then humiliating her and getting personal by saying that Jemma needed more boum boum boum in her life, and then swanning off to Asia and talking about it on TV... 6 months later.

Grow up Mika, for God's sake. I am so over this.

Edited by CazGirl
  • Like 4

Show how angry she is Silver

:naughty: I think what makes me the most angry is the manipulation. Amalgamating all of his bullying stories - I was so traumatized I stopped speaking, I am the victim of hate and intolerance - over criticism of one sh*t song that happened 6 months ago. Unbelievable. Makes all of his victim stories suspect in my eyes.

• Like 4

When did he turn into such a baby that has to be pandered to all of the time. When you put yourself out there on the stage or in a public arena it's normal to garner both approval and criticism.

I blame all of the arse lickers myself. He may have got used to them telling him he can do no wrong, that he can't take criticism any more?

I know, I know, he's just like everyone one else, if you cut him he bleeds. Sigh

• Like 2

When did he turn into such a baby that has to be pandered to all of the time. When you put yourself out there on the stage or in a public arena it's normal to garner both approval and criticism.

I blame all of the arse lickers myself. He may have got used to them telling him he can do no wrong, that he can't take criticism any more?

I know, I know, he's just like everyone one else, if you cut him he bleeds. Sigh

I am embarrassed to say that I ever participated in the unconditional praise and warrantless thanks he receives on a nightly basis now. I actually feel sorry for him that he needs 300 people to stand up and show him unconditional love in order to feel secure about his songs or performances. Like Caz says he was not like this at 23 and took a f-you attitude instead of portraying himself as a victim. We have created a monster.

Edited by Christine
  • Like 2

OK, now I really need to know, what did she say to mika exactly, the exact words? Cuz apparently he took it as insult, but a lot UK fans think it's just criticize. There's clearly a gap here. It will be really nice to know the exact wording she was using, and to see if mika is overacting or the fan is being too harsh.

Edited by yang