2015 - Adelphi Theatre, London 18 October - REPORTS/PICS/VIDS

crazyaboutmika

I'm going to defend Mika on this one.

I think it is unkind to heckle Mika over his set choice at a live event. Having opinions is fine, and I have no problem with people saying something on MFC, or maybe to him after the show. But being so vocally negative during the show is unkind and off putting, and I am not surprised he was upset by it.

As for mentioning it in an interview:

a) He was making a point about the multinational make-up of his audience (ie the flags) and contrasting that with the narrow-mindedness of the previous heckling to make the point more strongly

b) He is entitled to be bothered by what some fans do at concerts

c) If it bothers that fan that he was upset and says so in public, then that's life. He does not mention the fan by name.

• Like 10

I think it is unkind to heckle Mika over his set choice at a live event. Having opinions is fine, and I have no problem with people saying something on MFC, or maybe to him after the show. But being so vocally negative during the show is unkind and off putting, and I am not surprised he was upset by it.

I do not object to him being upset by it, but to the fact that he portrays himself as a victim of intolerance instead of just rude heckling. He goes so far as to say it made him stop chatting to the audience which is not only reminiscent of his childhood bullying story but it is not even true. If he had just said "I was really hurt by it" I would totally sympathize with his position.

By the way, he did not just mention it in an interview. He has also told thousands of people at a gig that this fan needs to get some "boum boum boum". Everyone tried to blow it off as a playful joke at the time but obviously it is not. If you are the target of your favourite pop star's rude jokes about you in front of thousands of people or on TV I don't think it's much comfort if he doesn't call you out by name. His reaction is totally disproportionate to the "crime" no matter how rude you think it is to heckle him at a show, simply because of the power he wields in this situation.

I do not object to him being upset by it, but to the fact that he portrays himself as a victim of intolerance instead of just rude heckling. He goes so far as to say it made him stop chatting to the audience which is not only reminiscent of his childhood bullying story but it is not even true. If he had just said "I was really hurt by it" I would totally sympathize with his position.

By the way, he did not just mention it in an interview. He has also told thousands of people at a gig that this fan needs to get some "boum boum boum". Everyone tried to blow it off as a playful joke at the time but obviously it is not. If you are the target of your favourite pop star's rude jokes about you in front of thousands of people or on TV I don't think it's much comfort if he doesn't call you out by name. His reaction is totally disproportionate to the "crime" no matter how rude you think it is to heckle him at a show, simply because of the power he wields in this situation.

We should be used to his exaggeration by now. He's always done it, and we figured that out fairly early on.

Interesting, based on the wording, the fact that he was hurt in his own gig did not bother some people here at all. Because he may(I don't know what he heard) overact didn't mean that he's hurt at his own gig didn't matter.

To be honest, I don't like that he said the fan need some BBB, that's quite rude and it bothers me too. I think he could handle this in a better way.

But he is not the one starting it, it's like in a fight, the people made the first attack was always the one hold the biggest responsibility, and I don't think him singing a French song is the first attack in any sense.

Edited by yang
  • Like 2

I think it's perfectly understandable that some of us are upset that French songs would be included in a UK setlist. The fact that he bangs on about how many people there were in the audience from different countries is irrelevant - they've all come to the UK. For a UK gig. They clearly have the money to go abroad and see him, and if they wanted Mika to sing French songs then perhaps go to a French gig.

First of all,  I understand that some fans don't like French songs, I really do. But the idea that a UK setlist should not contain ANY French songs is not perfectly understandable in any way, it's pure arrogance. And that's what I felt throughout the discussion. WOW some UK fans are so special, Mika should not do what he do throughout the whole heaven tour.

And also, people who went to a UK gig maybe also because London is relatively easier to get to, both the location and the time, or maybe they just want to visit London as well. The logic behind the people come to UK gig because they want him to sing English songs is just flawed in so many aspects. I'm not saying that's not a reason, but it's just A reason for SOMEONE, not THE reason for EVERYONE.

Edited by yang
  • Like 3

First of all,  I understand that some fans don't like French songs, I really do. But the idea that a UK setlist should not contain ANY French songs is not perfectly understandable in any way, it's pure arrogance. Even some UK fans like BBB too.

And also, people who went to a UK gig maybe also because London is relatively easier to get to, both the location and the time, or maybe they just want to visit London as well. The logic behind the people come to UK gig because they want him to sing English songs is just flawed in so many aspects. I'm not saying that's not a reason, but it's just A reason for SOMEONE, not THE reason for EVERYONE.

There are UK fans, not members here, or hardcore fans, but fans that come to see him when he does do shows here, and buy the UK versions of his albums, not the various other ones that are out there with either the French or Italian songs on them. So they are not familiar with Boum Boum Boum, Elle Me Dit or the various others that seem to go down a storm in Europe where they are more freely available. 

So when he sings them, they have absolutely no clue what is going on, and can't sing along because they don't know them. So to the fans from Europe who look around and see them sitting down/not dancing and singing, it must look like they are being rude and not very fan like. This is not the case because they haven't a clue why he is singing a song they have never heard of before.

So I think it's perfectly understandable that these fans would wonder why he just isn't singing songs from the album they have on their stereos. It's not arrogance, just that they don't know the song.

And just for the record, I don't really mind these songs too much, but can't get my head around the lyrics to be able to sing them, and that's not arrogance either, as it took me 3 months to get my brain around 'Promiseland', and that is my favourite song on the album, and STILL have problems with 'Oh Girl You're The Devil'!

• Like 1

We should be used to his exaggeration by now. He's always done it, and we figured that out fairly early on.

What has that got to do with how shameful it is to pretend you're a victim of some sort of hate crime to justify personally attacking a fan in front of thousands of people?

By the same logic Mika should not have complained about the reaction to BBB since many of his UK fans have always hated his French songs and made it clear to him many years ago.

• Like 1

Interesting, based on the wording, the fact that he was hurt in his own gig did not bother some people here at all. Because he may(I don't know what he heard) overact didn't mean that he's hurt at his own gig didn't matter.

Yes when he responds to someone saying they don't like his song by repeatedly attacking them on a personal level in public, then the fact that he was hurt is not really relevant anymore as far as I'm concerned. He is not a 9 year old child. Nothing anyone has ever said to him during a gig justifies telling thousands of people that this person needs to get laid or that they are some sort of intolerant xenophobe. It's totally out of proportion.

• Like 1

Yes when he responds to someone saying they don't like his song by repeatedly attacking them on a personal level in public, then the fact that he was hurt is not really relevant anymore as far as I'm concerned. He is not a 9 year old child. Nothing anyone has ever said to him during a gig justifies telling thousands of people that this person needs to get laid or that they are some sort of intolerant xenophobe. It's totally out of proportion.

You didn't seem to concern about this even when he didn't attacking them in public, or did you?

But yeah the part he think this person needs to get laid is rude, I agree he should not do it.

However, he is NOT a monster, that's a very serious word, which I learn this fact exactly here on MFC.

There are UK fans, not members here, or hardcore fans, but fans that come to see him when he does do shows here, and buy the UK versions of his albums, not the various other ones that are out there with either the French or Italian songs on them. So they are not familiar with Boum Boum Boum, Elle Me Dit or the various others that seem to go down a storm in Europe where they are more freely available. 

So when he sings them, they have absolutely no clue what is going on, and can't sing along because they don't know them. So to the fans from Europe who look around and see them sitting down/not dancing and singing, it must look like they are being rude and not very fan like. This is not the case because they haven't a clue why he is singing a song they have never heard of before.

So I think it's perfectly understandable that these fans would wonder why he just isn't singing songs from the album they have on their stereos. It's not arrogance, just that they don't know the song.

And just for the record, I don't really mind these songs too much, but can't get my head around the lyrics to be able to sing them, and that's not arrogance either, as it took me 3 months to get my brain around 'Promiseland', and that is my favourite song on the album, and STILL have problems with 'Oh Girl You're The Devil'!

I'm not saying not singing with the french songs, or unfamiliar with it, is arrogance. But the idea just because it's a UK gig it should not contain French songs, is arrogant for sure.

• Like 3

You didn't seem to concern about this even when he didn't attacking them in public, or did you?

But yeah the part he think this person needs to get laid is rude, I agree he should not do it.

I didn't know how he felt about it until today. All I knew is that someone heckled him and he made a rude comment about her later. I have seen a fan repeatedly harass him on Twitter for being gay and he blocked her so I know he saw it. This fan told him he was disgusting and going to hell and I intervened because this is what I consider a hurtful insult. I didn't think Mika was still a 9 year old boy who could not handle someone telling him they don't want to hear a French song.

Edited by Christine
  • Like 1

I didn't know how he felt about it until today. All I knew is that someone heckled him and he made a rude comment about her later. I have seen a fan repeatedly harass him on Twitter for being gay and he blocked her so I know he saw it. This fan told him he was disgusting and going to hell and I intervened because this is what I consider a hurtful insult. I didn't think Mika was still a 9 year old boy who could not handle someone telling him they don't want to hear a French song.

Yeah that's why I wanted to know what exactly did she say, why he considered it insulting... Do you have any idea?

Edited by yang

"FOUR F*CKING ALBUMS AND HE SINGS THIS?" Did she actually say the F word to mika, in a serious not joking way??

I don't have a transcript of what she said and honestly I don't see how it matters. We gave Mika, his band, his family and his entire crew hoodies that we all share that say "Mad F*ckers Club" on the back and he wore it for years. It's not like Mika is upset by swearing or that he isn't aware of how opinionated (and fond of the word f*ck) some of his fans are. I am sorry he is hurt by what happened and I understand his lashing out at one of his next gigs, but he needs to let it go now and not turn this into some new victim legend at the expense of a real fan he has known for his entire pop career.

• Like 1

I don't have a transcript of what she said and honestly I don't see how it matters. We gave Mika, his band, his family and his entire crew hoodies that we all share that say "Mad F*ckers Club" on the back and he wore it for years. It's not like Mika is upset by swearing or that he isn't aware of how opinionated (and fond of the word f*ck) some of his fans are. I am sorry he is hurt by what happened and I understand his lashing out at one of his next gigs, but he needs to let it go now and not turn this into some new victim legend at the expense of a real fan he has known for his entire pop career.

Yeah that's true, to be fair this time in the HK interview he only say this story as a contradiction to show how happy he was later to see the fan flag move. I guess he didnt think about the fact that it would be very hurtful to the fan in this opposite side of the story. Maybe someone who knew him should inform him about that.

Another concern I have is, he is going to do another UK show this year, and it will be streamed by iqiyi in China, since the audience would be bigger he may sing some French songs again. I know a lot China fans love BBB and he sure knows that. I hope this time UK fans would understand and this kind of issue will not happen again.

• Like 2

Another concern I have is, he is going to do another UK show this year, and it will be streamed by iqiyi in China, since the audience would be bigger he may sing some French songs again. I know a lot China fans love BBB and he sure knows that. I hope this time UK fans would understand and this kind of issue will not happen again.

Why should UK fans have to listen to songs to please Chinese viewers? The UK fans are paying for their tickets and they are the only people Mika should be concerned about during the gig. If he wants to pander to Chinese fans he can go back to China and charge them money to see him perform. I don't understand this attitude that fans should provide some sort of charity fund to Mika so he can do whatever self indulgent thing he wants or to advance his career in other markets. And on top of that UK fans should be grateful for being at the bottom of his priority list and not complain about it while they pay for albums and tickets like everyone else in the world.

• Like 2

Why should UK fans have to listen to songs to please Chinese viewers? The UK fans are paying for their tickets and they are the only people Mika should be concerned about during the gig. If he wants to pander to Chinese fans he can go back to China and charge them money to see him perform. I don't understand this attitude that fans should provide some sort of charity fund to Mika so he can do whatever self indulgent thing he wants or to advance his career in other markets. And on top of that UK fans should be grateful for being at the bottom of his priority list and not complain about it while they pay for albums and tickets like everyone else in the world.

Uh because iqiyi is paying for him too?

• Like 1

Uh because iqiyi is paying for him too?

How is Mika's double charging scam the problem of UK fans who bought their tickets at a premium price to see Mika perform in London?

Jesus Christ I am so glad I am selling my tickets. I am so sick of this complete nonsense. Mika deserves whatever heckling he gets if he starts playing songs to suck up to an audience that is halfway around the world.

• Like 2

How is Mika's double charging scam the problem of UK fans who bought their tickets at a premium price to see Mika perform in London?

I don't know if iqiyi is paying for him. But I do know this connection happens because of the universal company, which is his agency company in UK, right?

And, if I remember correctly, a lot singers/bands (Queen, for example) are not making profits from gigs, in fact sometimes they lose money, even in a sold out gig. And they need to be sponsered, that's why mika said "invite(sponser) me if you want me to play in your city/country". Like it or not, if he is not sponsered he may not able to do the gigs, and whether he get sponsered or not again depending on how many viewers he get from China in this particular case.

Jesus Christ I am so glad I am selling my tickets. I am so sick of this complete nonsense. Mika deserves whatever heckling he gets if he starts playing songs to suck up to an audience that is halfway around the world.

I'm sure about the streaming thing, all the rest is my guess ( that he may sing French songs to please Chinese fans), geez that is very harsh to hear, and insulting to both mika and Chinese fans.

Edited by yang

And, if I remember correctly, a lot singers/bands (Queen, for example) are not making profits from gigs, in fact sometimes they lose money, even in a sold out gig.

That is total nonsense. These tickets cost more than my Adele tickets even though she has to fly across an ocean to get to the venue and Mika can take a 10 minute cab ride. They are more than twice the price of his earlier London gigs. If he is not making money off it he's doing something wrong. I have no desire to spend my money on making Mika wealthier while he panders to fans from France to China at my expense, instead of spending it on music that I want to hear. If Mika has an expectation that anyone in his audience should do otherwise he is out of his mind. If he has an expectation that anyone in his audience should forgo their own taste in music and sit through songs they don't like because someone in China wants to hear them he is out of his mind.

• Like 2

"FOUR F*CKING ALBUMS AND HE SINGS THIS?" Did she actually say the F word to mika, in a serious not joking way??

The four albums thing I said to a friend behind me not to Mika. As BBB started playing Mika was explaining that not many people understand and I said "that's because it's in French!" I was not being nasty, just vocal.

• Like 2

That is total nonsense. These tickets cost more than my Adele tickets even though she has to fly across an ocean to get to the venue and Mika can take a 10 minute cab ride. They are more than twice the price of his earlier London gigs. If he is not making money off it he's doing something wrong. I have no desire to spend my money on making Mika wealthier while he panders to fans from France to China at my expense, instead of spending it on music that I want to hear. If Mika has an expectation that anyone in his audience should do otherwise he is out of his mind. If he has an expectation that anyone in his audience should forgo their own taste in music and sit through songs they don't like because someone in China wants to hear them he is out of his mind.

The tickets of NYC Brooklyn concerts is cheaper too, and he fly to US for it.

The part that a lot times gigs are not making money is true, Queenies mentioned about it to me that a lot rock bands do the shows for adrenaline and promotion, they even lose money for it. Mika talked about gigs are not profitable too, I remember him mentioning about it in a US interview.

:dunno: I don't really know about this industry, but I do not really think he agree the streaming thing purely for the money.

Edited by yang

The four albums thing I said to a friend behind me not to Mika. As BBB started playing Mika was explaining that not many people understand and I said "that's because it's in French!" I was not being nasty, just vocal.

Then maybe he is not talking about you all the time? All he said is someone loudly insulting him. I don't know :dunno: . Sorry for what happened in one of the later gigs, I hope he's not talking about you, glad that even you feel hurt you still want to go to his show :hug: .

I think he would not feel hurtful and angry of what you said, so maybe someone else is saying something nasty? He said someone insult him, which did not fit your case.

I tried to hear it from the video, but all I hear is someone yelling loud sound(which doesnt sound just one sentence) in the begining of BBB even before he's explaining.

Edited by yang

The tickets of NYC Brooklyn concerts is cheaper too, and he fly to US for it.

The part that a lot times gigs are not making money is true, Queenies mentioned about it to me that a lot rock bands do the shows for adrenaline and promotion, they even lose money for it. Mika talked about gigs are not profitable too, I remember him mentioning about it in a US interview.

:dunno: I don't really know about his industry, but I do not really think he agree the streaming thing purely for the money.

We're not talking about Queen's gigs or Mika's NYC gigs. We're talking about a gig in London.

Anyway I have said everything I have to say. I am just glad I am not going. Good luck to him.