Center of Gravity - Lyrics & Discussion

Elwendin

Aren't his origins American? :wink2:

That would be great sarcasm if it weren't for the fact that he's American and not just pretending to be so to pander to an audience. :naughty:

Where can I hear this genius work of obscure 80s Italian music reinterpreted by Mika? I doubt I will find it on Canadian iTunes or Spotify. (Both of them paralyze my computer so I am not going to attempt it.)

He was educated in the UK. He won a Brit award as a Brit, not as an international artist. He is only half American. He should learn to spell properly :bleh:

• Like 2

He was educated in the UK. He won a Brit award as a Brit, not as an international artist. He is only half American. He should learn to spell properly :bleh:

"American" is not an ethnicity and since both his parents were born American citizens and Mika is also a US citizen, then he cannot be classed as half-American by anyone except his PR firm. :naughty:

But yes I agree about the spelling of centRE :shun:

Thank you. :flowers2:

This song is so bad I can't even be bothered to critique it. Holy cow. :naughty: I mean it was probably great in the 80s but not now. Mika's vocals are interesting but I just can't imagine listening to this in 2015. It's too bad they didn't do a modern arrangement.

Ok, some people had fun trying to figure out the lyrics. 

They don't make sense, as the italian ones didn't, and we are so not sure about what we wrote down, but join our quest and help us to improve them!

Narcissistic chansonniers fighting delusional poetry with the electric demons and spiritual (fuse/fugue/feuds???)
Smiling girls (??) gives a start bowing to the powdered(?) queen and her clever dandy
Stars are lighting renaissance, everything is making sense always finding enlightened impeccable data (??)
And now I'm losing control
Looking for a perpetual center of gravity that doesn't let me think about people in all the world that spins around me, nothing that matters more
Looking for a perpetual center of gravity so I don't have to think about people in all the world that spins around me over and over again
Mystical and majestic the air in Moscow cathedral, a cold winter day, I'm fading away
Alienating ??? are walking the city with vague strength to fulfill their mission and living agreement but they don't know what it's for
I'm just searching for a permanent center of gravity within an overdose of information in a world that spins around me, nothing that matters more
I'm just searching for a permanent center of gravity within an overdose of information in a world that spins around me over and over again
You are a woman in love, baby I need your love, I want your love over and over again
  • Like 1

Super OT, but since the lyrics are coming up super super weird (totally faithful to the original weirdness of the song), I'd like you to read those ones instead. 
Still weird, but they make sense at times, and when they do, they are beautiful. This is the song I've always wished for someone to dedicate it to me. 

The care

I will protect you from the hypochondria fears

from the worries that you'll encounter during your life
from the injustice and the deceit of your times,
from the failures that you will cause by your nature.
I will relieve you of the pains and of your mood swings

of the obsessions of your mania.
I will overcome the gravitational currents
the space and the light, in order not to make you grow old;
and you'll be cured of all diseases.

because you're a special [human] being
and I'll take care of you.

I was wandering the fields of Tennessee
who knows how I got there
don't you have white flowers for me?
faster than eagles, my dreams
cross the sea.
Above all, I will bring you the silence and the patience
we'll walk together through the paths that lead to the essence.
The love fragrances will intoxicate our bodies
the August stillness won't calm our senses.
I will weave your hair like the plot of a poem
I know the laws of the world and I'll offer them to you.
I will overcome the gravitational currents
the space and the light, in order not to make you grow old;
I will save you from any melancholy.

because you're a special [human] being
and I will take care of you.
[unlike other people] I will take care of you.

Edited by Elwendin
  • Like 2

Wow, that's really great, and a great surprise for me. That song :wub:  Franco Battiato, :wub:  it remainds me when I was 17 y/o, my first romance, my experiences of the eighties,  friends, parties  :wub:  thank you Franco, thank you Mika  :huglove:

Franco also did a very good version in spanish of this song "Centro de gravedad" as some others like ""Quiero Verte Danzar" and "Sentimiento Nuevo"  I love all of them. And Mika sings this song perfectly  :wub2:

Edited by Mikasister
  • Like 3

i like the song. don't think i know the original (the video isn't available in germany, so i haven't listened to it...), but if you say it's from the 80s and they sound much alike: i love 80s music, so no surprise that i like it. :naughty:

i like the song. don't think i know the original (the video isn't available in germany, so i haven't listened to it...), but if you say it's from the 80s and they sound much alike: i love 80s music, so no surprise that i like it. :naughty:

Same for me :)

I'm not Italian and I find it pretty catchy :teehee:

I like 80s music in general sooooo :thumb_yello:

Maybe I will not be listening to it the same way I'm listening to other songs from NPiH but it's a very nice song

I am not sure if it because this song has this typical sound from the 80s , but in same points Mika's voice reminds me of Freddie Mercury, especially in "Smiling girls..." 

When  I first head about this collaboration, I wanted to hear some of Battiato's music and I must say that he is quite unique.  

This song is perhaps one of the easiest to get right away and it's nice to  hear Mika's voice on it.

Edited by Menthe

My 2 cents :naughty:

They don't make sense, as the italian ones didn't, and we are so not sure about what we wrote down, but join our quest and help us to improve them!

Narcissistic chansonniers fighting delusional poetry with the electric demons and spiritual (fuse/fugue/feuds???)
Smiling girls (??) gives a start bowing to the powdered(?) queen and her clever dandy
Stars are lighting renaissance, everything is making sense always finding enlightened impeccable data (??)
Looking for a perpetual center of gravity that doesn't let me think about people in all the world that spins around me, nothing that matters more
Looking for a perpetual center of gravity so I don't have to think about people in all the world that spins around me over and over again
Mystical and majestic the air in Moscow cathedral, a cold winter day, I'm fading away
Alienating ??? are walking the city with vague strength to fulfill their mission and living agreement but they don't know what it's for
I'm just searching for a permanent center of gravity within an overdose of information in a world that spins around me, nothing that matters more
I'm just searching for a permanent center of gravity within an overdose of information in a world that spins around me over and over again
You are a woman in love, baby I need your love, I want your love over and over again

Smiling girls (??) gives a start (Smiling girls in [something] - instead of gives a start) bowing to the powdered(?Hearing that, too) queen and her clever dandy
Stars are lighting renaissance, everything is making sense always finding enlightened impeccable data (??Hearing that, too)
Mystical and majestic the air in Moscow cathedral, a cold winters day, I'm fading away
Alienating ??? (Alienated, coats and ??? ) are walking the city with vague strength to fulfill their mission and living agreement but they don't know what it's for
I'm still searching for a permanent center of gravity within an overdose of information in a world that spins around me over and over again

Edited by DerMoment1608
  • Like 1

I couldn't even listen to the whole song :bleh:

Me neither. 

Thank you. :flowers2:

This song is so bad I can't even be bothered to critique it. Holy cow. :naughty: I mean it was probably great in the 80s but not now. Mika's vocals are interesting but I just can't imagine listening to this in 2015. It's too bad they didn't do a modern arrangement.

Same. It's a no for me sorry.  :thumbdown: :( 

Stars are lighting renaissance, everything is making sense always finding enlightened impeccable data (??Hearing that, too)

:lmfao:

I heard something about data, but I thought "I must be wrong" cause it's all so non sensical that I couldn't trust my ears..... Then I asked for help, and yeah, apparently it's that. The funny thing is that no one can be sure cause they are almost random words, so we can't rely on the line meaning to figure out the strange sounding words here and there. We'll need to read them when they will be released.... 

This does make perfect sense even some of the other sentences are so long it's difficult to understand before listening to the song several times! Thanks everyone for collecting the lyrics, there are still a few words I can't catch... 

I love hearing Mika's voice in the song  :wub:  I can well understand why Battiato is so liked in Italy, for me this song is so much fun, like a mixture of Queen and a Swedish Eurovision song, such an absurd combination  :naughty: But Mika's voice fits there well and personally I like hearing 80's sound. 

• Like 4

Surprise surprise, here it is, suddenly available on I -Tunes and Spotify. 

Centro di Gravità is an old italian song from the early 80ies by Battiato. 

Mika and Battiato himself just released a new version in English: Centre of Gravity. 

I'm looking forward the lyrics (I'll try to listen to them in a while) as I've always loved this song. Like Sarà perchè ti amo (aka Talk about you), it belongs to my childhood and those childhood songs, you never forget. 

I think this version is very similar to the original version, no huge re-arrangement, and I'm happy with that. :yes:

I'm very curious to see if not italian people will like it. :unsure:

I think it's very catchy, but I have my reasons, not sure everybody agrees.

:Update:

From a MFC post :

"They don't make sense, as the italian ones didn't, and we are so not sure about what we wrote down, but join our quest and help us to improve them!

You are a woman in love, baby I need your love, I want your love over and over again"

want to save it 
to look into again 
later 
  • Like 1

I was actually quite skeptical about Mika's voice on the key of this song, but it turned out to be just right!!

I loved this song when it came out in 1982, or better, I loved the whole album, it had a huge success throughout that summer, and listening to this remake is a great pleasure for me!

• Like 1