DIY Mika stuff

AmyWings

Heyyy guyys ! So, Mika just posted a pic on his twitter, this one:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CWsfOBKUwAA4isl.png:large

(for some reason I can't use the extended image "on this community", what?)

(how cute first of all :wub: )

And I was just looking at his necklaces and it made me smile because it reminds me so much of his old accessories. Which made me think about this topic. How about we post ideas of DIY Mika stuff on here? Like a necklace, a bracelet, an outfit, homemade stuff, creative ideas and so on...
Everyone could post their ideas and / or what they'd like to do, and other members could help each other create it  :D

I just thought that could be a cool creative little area !  :P

Edited by AmyWings

Cool idea for a topic :)

Mika stuff is hard to find so i often make my own, like in the past i've made Mika stickers, magnets, bookmarks, lickable stamps, rubber ink stampers, a Mika box for all my Mika badges, a Mika pencil cup *oooh just gets an idea to make a matching paperclip dish thing*, picture frames, Mika lippies, a "Fool Addicted" t-shirt, and thats all i can think of for now.

I look forward to seeing everyone else's DIY Mika projects!

• Like 5

Cool idea for a topic :)

Mika stuff is hard to find so i often make my own, like in the past i've made Mika stickers, magnets, bookmarks, lickable stamps, rubber ink stampers, a Mika box for all my Mika badges, a Mika pencil cup *oooh just gets an idea to make a matching paperclip dish thing*, picture frames, Mika lippies, a "Fool Addicted" t-shirt, and thats all i can think of for now.

I look forward to seeing everyone else's DIY Mika projects!

Okay you neeeeed to tell me how to make the Mika stamps / stickers you sent me in the Christmas cards  :teehee: As well as the bookmark ! I wanted to include that in the card but didn't have what it took to make it on time  :naughty: AND THE T SHIRT IS ME TOO. PLEASE.  :wub:

Lemme see if i remember how i did them all...

For the stamps: i made the glue by mixing 2 teaspoons of white school glue, 1 teaspoon of white vinager, and a drop of peppermint extract flavoring (but any flavor would do) together in a little bowl. I used a sponge paint brush to brush the glue on the back of the paper, let it dry, then added another coat. Then i used a tracing wheel (usually used for sewing) to perforate the paper (or a sewing machine without thread works as well).

For the stickers i just cut out what Mika pic i wanted and placed it on a sticky label. Then i used clear packing tape to cover it and burnished it with my nail to get out any air, then trimmed around the edges, making sure to leave a little taped space around the pic.

For the bookmark: i cut out a color pic of Mika jumping with his arm up above his head; i used tiny scissors so i could get as cut as close to him as possible. I stuck a little ribbon to the back of his hand, so it looks like he's holding onto it. Then i put the pic on a piece of pink paper, glued it down then covered it with clear packing tape (but didn't trim off the tape yet). i flipped it all over and on the back of the pink paper i used stampers to put his name. I used another piece of tape to cover the back then trimmed it off close the edge of the pic.

I also made one with a long rectangle pic of Mika by using the pretty much same technique, except i didnt trim the pic so closely and instead of the ribbon i made a little hole towards the top edge and attatched a tassel i made out of embroidery floss.

For the shirt: there are many ways to do a shirt, i tested a few different techniques (on a pair of knickers, so i now have some that say 'celebrate' in different size/color letters on the back :teehee: ) before i settled on this technique because it was hardest to mess up. I put a piece of cardboard between the layers of a plain black t-shirt and sort of taped the sleeves and bottom around the cardboard at the back to make sure the shirt stayed taut and in place. Then i carefully used sticky foam letters to spell out the words i wanted on the shirt. I put pieces of old newspaper an inch or two away from the words to cover the parts of the shirt i didn't want to get paint on. Then i sprayed glitter clothes paint over the letters and once it was dry i removed the foam letters. This left a glittery rectangle with the black words inside.

• Like 4

For the stamps: i made the glue by mixing 2 teaspoons of white school glue, 1 teaspoon of white vinager, and a drop of peppermint extract flavoring (but any flavor would do) together in a little bowl. I used a sponge paint brush to brush the glue on the back of the paper, let it dry, then added another coat. Then i used a tracing wheel (usually used for sewing) to perforate the paper (or a sewing machine without thread works as well).

For the stickers i just cut out what Mika pic i wanted and placed it on a sticky label. Then i used clear packing tape to cover it and burnished it with my nail to get out any air, then trimmed around the edges, making sure to leave a little taped space around the pic.

For the bookmark: i cut out a color pic of Mika jumping with his arm up above his head; i used tiny scissors so i could get as cut as close to him as possible. I stuck a little ribbon to the back of his hand, so it looks like he's holding onto it. Then i put the pic on a piece of pink paper, glued it down then covered it with clear packing tape (but didn't trim off the tape yet). i flipped it all over and on the back of the pink paper i used stampers to put his name. I used another piece of tape to cover the back then trimmed it off close the edge of the pic.

I also made one with a long rectangle pic of Mika by using the pretty much same technique, except i didnt trim the pic so closely and instead of the ribbon i made a little hole towards the top edge and attatched a tassel i made out of embroidery floss.

For the shirt: there are many ways to do a shirt, i tested a few different techniques (on a pair of knickers, so i now have some that say 'celebrate' in different size/color letters on the back :teehee: ) before i settled on this technique because it was hardest to mess up. I put a piece of cardboard between the layers of a plain black t-shirt and sort of taped the sleeves and bottom around the cardboard at the back to make sure the shirt stayed taut and in place. Then i carefully used sticky foam letters to spell out the words i wanted on the shirt. I put pieces of old newspaper an inch or two away from the words to cover the parts of the shirt i didn't want to get paint on. Then i sprayed glitter clothes paint over the letters and once it was dry i removed the foam letters. This left a glittery rectangle with the black words inside.

Thank you so much for your explanations, that's amazing ! Did you get all of these ideas yourself or were you inspired by other things?  :D

Excellent topic! I've actually been working on a pair of shoes over the past week which are inspired by his album covers! I'll be sure to post a photo when I finish them! :thumb_yello:

Nice ! Be sure to post a pic yeah ! And tell us how you've been working when you're done too please  :P

Hon, you're a wizard, I LOVE THIS THREAD SO MUCH XD!!!

I am ain't I?  :lol: Glad you like it ! If you have any ideas, drop 'em here  :D

Wow, you are creative! I really wanna try making my own shirt, as the selection in the mikasounds store is not to great.. 

Excellent topic! I've actually been working on a pair of shoes over the past week which are inspired by his album covers! I'll be sure to post a photo when I finish them! :thumb_yello:

That's so cool! I'd love to see it :D

Ain't he cute af?  :wub:  I wonder what base of stuffed something I could take to recreate that piece of art  :naughty:

Hmm... I'm thinking that the simplest thing would be to cut it out of a piece of wood, or something, and then paint it. Or cut out 2 pieces of fabric, one for the front and one for the back, sew them together and put a bit of cotton in it (like making a stuffed animal), and then paint it  :D

I love DIY stuff. :wub2:

Welcome to the club my friend  :D

Hmm... I'm thinking that the simplest thing would be to cut it out of a piece of wood, or something, and then paint it. Or cut out 2 pieces of fabric, one for the front and one for the back, sew them together and put a bit of cotton in it (like making a stuffed animal), and then paint it  :D

That's what I was just thinking about... Hm... I'll see what I can do ! Now I wanna do that instead of working  :P  :banghead:

Thank you so much for your explanations, that's amazing ! Did you get all of these ideas yourself or were you inspired by other things?  :D

Thanks :) sometimes i get an idea like "omg i need Mika stamps" then sometimes go find a tutorial how to do it, other times i get an idea like "omg i need a custom Mika shirt" and just wing it.  Perhaps they were inspired by things i've seen in the past, but the bookmark of Mika jumping is the only one i got straight from pinterest xD

Wow, you are creative! I really wanna try making my own shirt, as the selection in the mikasounds store is not to great.. 

Thanks! Yeah, most of the best ones aren't in the mikasounds shop anymore, and the ones that are still available are pretty expensive.  Good luck if you attempt to make your own!

Edited by kreacher
  • Like 1

Welcome to the club my friend  :D

That's what I was just thinking about... Hm... I'll see what I can do ! Now I wanna do that instead of working  :P  :banghead:

it always looked to me like it's made of felt and pieced together but looking at this closer pic i dunno what it's made of.

walter-necklace.jpg

it always looked to me like it's made of felt and pieced together but looking at this closer pic i dunno what it's made of.

walter-necklace.jpg

Yeah, I think the simplest is to take some beige fabric, sew the two pieces together and stuff it with cotton. Then paint and add the other pieces on top !

Yeah, I think the simplest is to take some beige fabric, sew the two pieces together and stuff it with cotton. Then paint and add the other pieces on top !

i forgot to mention i made a terrible little Mika doll and this is the technique i used, except instead of paint i used thread to stitch his face, and he had clothes so i didn't need the body details xD

• Like 1

i forgot to mention i made a terrible little Mika doll and this is the technique i used, except instead of paint i used thread to stitch his face, and he had clothes so i didn't need the body details xD

Pleaaase show us  :naughty:  :naughty:

EDIT: You pretty much did "Toy Boy"  :das:

Edited by AmyWings

Okay so I guess I have found a couple things that could be useful for the naked man.

1/ Here's some fabric that looks similar enough and not too expensive (it's not as flat looking but oh well)

2/ Here's a video on how to sew it to make a stuff animal

Then I guess you just need cotton, thread, fabric paint / pencils, and an extra piece of fabric to make the little scarf  :P

Also make and sew a little loop on top of his head, and a plain black necklace to finish it off 

Edited by AmyWings

Pleaaase show us  :naughty:  :naughty:

EDIT: You pretty much did "Toy Boy"  :das:

i told you he's terrible! (sorry the pics are sideways *doh*)  i can't find a pic of it, but i made him a piano out of colored duct tape & a big matchbox which i use to store him & his accessories in.

609574942.jpg?1341201948&Expires=1450793 609577300.jpg?1341202278&Expires=1450793

crap, i guess i didn't sew his face with thread! i'd forgotten i made a terrible toyboy doll as well, and that's what i made using that technique. i also made the toyboy a coffin box to throw him in when i had had enough xD

oh yeah, and i made a purple Mubbin foot pencil cup thingy and a Underwater-inspired sculpture, both out of plaster strips.  i think pics of them are in the Mika yearbook thing.

Edited by kreacher
  • Like 3