Eurovision 2016

silver

Well, I know some countries have already chosen their songs, so I guess it's time to kick this thread off.

The UK public are actually being allowed to choose the UK entry this year, but the programme with the songs is being shown only on BBC4, which has a very small audience. So really the song will be chosen by only a small proportion of the public.  :sneaky2:

• Like 1

When I saw this thread I thought that Mika was doing Eurovision.

I wish he was, as he's so popular in Europe and it would get him noticed in the UK again.

I know a lot of people wouldn't like Mika to do it as they think it might not help his career in the UK.

But he hasn't got a career in the UK anymore, so what would he have to loose by doing it? He'd gain more than he looses and he'd win for sure.

But once again, I'm disappointed, after clicking on a thread with a hopeful title.

To be honest, I have always been of the opinion that it would be absolute suicide for Mika to go anywhere near the Eurovision ( for the UK anyway) as basically, if doesn't matter how big a name you are..... For many years now, the UK hasn't done well in Eurovision no matter how good the entry was.

But I actually think now, since he is so big in Europe, and as countries cannot vote for their own entry, a lot of Europeans may vote for 'him' - as opposed to voting for the UK.

But I still don't think he would go anywhere near it.

To be honest, I have always been of the opinion that it would be absolute suicide for Mika to go anywhere near the Eurovision ( for the UK anyway) as basically, if doesn't matter how big a name you are..... For many years now, the UK hasn't done well in Eurovision no matter how good the entry was.

But I actually think now, since he is so big in Europe, and as countries cannot vote for their own entry, a lot of Europeans may vote for 'him' - as opposed to voting for the UK.

If he had a huge career here, like, for example, Justin Bieber, I'd agree wholeheartedly. But he hasn't got a career here anymore. I know Eurovision doesn't get a lot of respect here, but it is still watched by millions in the UK. I think Mika would win if he entered. He'd have a wonderful song, would give a stunning performance and many Europeans would vote for him, because he's Mika, not because he's singing for UK.

I've also always thought he could present Eurovision, if he didn't want to sing in it. He has the language skills and he's widely known. He'd do a great job.

If he had a huge career here, like, for example, Justin Bieber, I'd agree wholeheartedly. But he hasn't got a career here anymore. I know Eurovision doesn't get a lot of respect here, but it is still watched by millions in the UK. I think Mika would win if he entered. He'd have a wonderful song, would give a stunning performance and many Europeans would vote for him, because he's Mika, not because he's singing for UK.

I've also always thought he could present Eurovision, if he didn't want to sing in it. He has the language skills and he's widely known. He'd do a great job.

I do now feel that he will eventually do some TV work in the UK. For years I felt that he would never do 'that sort of thing' but obviously that theory has been disproved given what he has done in other countries. The whole industry is so fickle that it would only take one small thing to bring him back to the forefront of people's minds over here.

I can definitely see him doing something here eventually.

I do now feel that he will eventually do some TV work in the UK. For years I felt that he would never do 'that sort of thing' but obviously that theory has been disproved given what he has done in other countries. The whole industry is so fickle that it would only take one small thing to bring him back to the forefront of people's minds over here.

AGH just realised you live just across the pond from me, I live in Northern Ireland, I love seeing UK fans on here, hiya XD!!! I agree, I have a pretty good feeling that within the next 2-3 of years, he is going to do British TV... And when he does guys, WATCH OUT for I shall be auditioning for him :D!!!

PS I personally think it's a great idea that he does Eurovision, a lot of Europe and Asia would certainly vote for him, and it would get his name back out around the UK again :D!!! I don't really think he has anything to lose to be honest:)!!!

Edited by Amye the Mika Fan <3

I agree with you. Heheh, I might just be a bit prejustice  about the show, but I would honestly not like Mika to be in it at all, as much as I'd like him to become better know around the world  :aah:

• Like 1

Actually, I've changed my mind XD!!! He really shouldn't go near it should he?!

No.... In my opinion he shouldn't go near it!

Yes indeed - we are near neighbours!

Edited by kath

AGH just realised you live just across the pond from me, I live in Northern Ireland, I love seeing UK fans on here, hiya XD!!! I agree, I have a pretty good feeling that within the next 2-3 of years, he is going to do British TV... And when he does guys, WATCH OUT for I shall be auditioning for him :D!!!

PS I personally think it's a great idea that he does Eurovision, a lot of Europe and Asia would certainly vote for him, and it would get his name back out around the UK again :D!!! I don't really think he has anything to lose to be honest:)!!!

Let's hope he does something on TV soon, to win back the UK fans and get his albums on top again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yep.  :doh:

Actually I know the rules say you can submit songs in any language, but most countries opt for English if they don't use their own language.  I think it is unusual for a German speaking country to go for French.

From Monday 22nd of February, Ken Bruce will be starting to preview all 10(?) entries, that will be on the Song For Europe show on the Friday.

So we will get to hear them before,and  can make our minds up before seeing them performed on the night.

Actually I know the rules say you can submit songs in any language, but most countries opt for English if they don't use their own language.  I think it is unusual for a German speaking country to go for French.

Yes it is quite unusal. I doubt we will get into the finals...

Yes it is quite unusal. I doubt we will get into the finals...

I think it's great that you have the balls to go for a different language  :D And really, why not? Why everything has to be in English?

And if you don't make it into the finals it won't be because of the language. Non English-entries statistically aren't doing worse than English ones.

I hate the Eurobeat though and that's a real shame because it's such a nice song in the album version.

Edited by DerMoment1608

The six shortlisted songs for the UK are on the BBC website, so I've given them a listen.  Nothing particularly brilliant though; I like a couple slightly more than the rest.  Waiting for Friday to hear them live.

The UK entry is Joe & Jake "You're not alone"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03k9swh

I watched the show and I do like the winning song. I prefer Miracle, for myself, but YNA stands a better chance of winning and the two guys will appeal to the young people, and older people like myself will like them.

I think they probably had a fan-base from being on The Voice and that helped them to get the most votes. I had never heard of any of the others.

I will be rooting for the guys in May. I hope we manage to win.