Eurovision 2016

silver

Well, I have to say I was surprised at some of the songs that got through.

What will they do if Australia wins?

I do know it won't be held in Australia if they win, that's for sure. I'm curious in wich country it will be held if they do win..

Well, I have to say I was surprised at some of the songs that got through.

What will they do if Australia wins?

I do know it won't be held in Australia if they win, that's for sure. I'm curious in wich country it will be held if they do win..

I think I've geard somewhere that Australia gets to choose where it will be held among some of the countries. But I don't know which ones. Maybe the great 5?

Congratulations to Jamala from Ukraine! Great song, singing and performance.

I never vote but if I had decided to, I would have voted for her as well, performing the most original song in the whole competition. She also came top in the televoting in my country, followed by Russia and Poland. What the jury heard was obviously different - like in most countries.

I have just had a look at results from all countries and the funniest results are from UK: jurors voting Georgia as No1, voters ranking  them as 19th best only. That speaks volume about the people running this industry and the way these 'experts' shape our musical tastes.  

• Like 1

Honestly, I'm a bit dissapointed by this years results. I always thought that the winning song should at least have a mellody that is memorable... But that's only my opinion. :/

We'll see next year. :)

My favourites this year were Belgium, Serbia, France... and I likes Israels, Australian, Swedish and Polands song too ;)

I watched last night. I really hoped Australia would win as it was a brilliant song and she has a wonderful voice.

I was very disappointed that Ukraine won. The song is okay, as a song, but not as a Eurovision song. It isn't memorable. Doesn't have a good tune and I can't understand why anyone voted for it. It didn't belong in Eurovision. 

I also felt very frustrated when I realized how many countries were watching it. Come on Mika! Wise-up! If he doesn't want to compete, he should sing in the interval, next time, like Justin T did. Imagine even the USA seeing him. How great would that be?

The standard this year was brilliant. I also like the new way of voting. I think it really mixed things up, apart from the result, which was a disappointment for me.  

Edited by Marilyn Mastin

I watched last night. I really hoped Australia would win as it was a brilliant song and she has a wonderful voice.

I was very disappointed that Ukraine won. The song is okay, as a song, but not as a Eurovision song. It isn't memorable. Doesn't have a good tune and I can't understand why anyone voted for it. It didn't belong in Eurovision.

I also felt very frustrated when I realized how many countries were watching it. Come on Mika! Wise-up! If he doesn't want to compete, he should sing in the interval, next time, like Justin T did. Imagine even the USA seeing him. How great would that be?

The standard this year was brilliant. I also like the new way of voting. I think it really mixed things up, apart from the result, which was a disappointment for me.

I totally agree with you about Ukraine. Couldn't tell it better :)

It's just not a song I would sing at ome r in a car :)

I understand what you mean but the fact that all the other songs practically sounded the same (catchy, memorable pop tunes, most of them written by the regular Eurovision songwriters from Sweden) made the Ukrainian entry stand out.  

There were so many well-performed, typical Eurovision songs stripped off of any charisma that the few that had it in one way or another, really stood out, in my opinion. For the Russian song it was the visual elements used that helped the performer (rather unfair, I must say) whilst for the Polish song it was both the look of the performer and also the fact that the song sounded grandiose. 

All in all, I am not surprised at all by televoting results and most definitely don't think it is only due to geo-political voting or conspiracies.

In fact, I am hopeful that in next year's contest there will be more performers inspired by their own cultural heritage  rather than trying to recycle Western pop tunes.

Edited by suzie
  • Like 1

I agree about Ukraine. The song is good, with a message, but not something for the Eurovision or to sing along with! :yes:

To be honest, I can't even remember the melody/tune right now. :doh:

Me neither... And I've heard it at least 5 times :)

Let's see how many people actually buy it.

It does not work like that - luckily. It was a good indicator of the value of the UK entry (not even making it into the local top 100) but people outside Western Europe don't tend to buy music online and singles charts are based on airplay. 

Even if the majority of the audience was the same as the record buying public of Europe, in Eurovision it is the performance one votes for, so many different things, including the visual elements, the running order the songs, local commentators' comments...etc, influence the decision. 

In terms of entering the sales charts, it is songs like the Swedish entry that would get high - it already sounds familiar to many other trendy songs.

I'm biased yes, but I have to say that we did a really good job hosting this year's Eurovision. Petra and Måns did an amazing job and I'm proud of the production and the interval acts. I think that they hald a really high class even if I guess that the "documentary" only were funny to us in Sweden. The thing I was disappointed in though was the they chose to present the jury and the televoters votes differently. I don't care what five music guys in France think about the songs. It's not interesting at all. The thing that was surprising was the fact that the jury groups were mostly just as biased as the televoters, which kind of takes a way the purpose of the jury groups.

Anyway congrats to Ukraine :)

• Like 1

I'm biased yes, but I have to say that we did a really good job hosting this year's Eurovision. Petra and Måns did an amazing job and I'm proud of the production and the interval acts. I think that they hald a really high class even if I guess that the "documentary" only were funny to us in Sweden. The thing I was disappointed in though was the they chose to present the jury and the televoters votes differently. I don't care what five music guys in France think about the songs. It's not interesting at all. The thing that was surprising was the fact that the jury groups were mostly just as biased as the televoters, which kind of takes a way the purpose of the jury groups.

I agree, the presentation was excellent (Love Love Peace Peace :floor:)

Maybe they should abandon the jury vote altogether and just let the people decide :dunno:

Totally agree, Petra and Måns were brilliant (and I didn't like Petra that much in Malmö), very funny and entertaining, and "Love love peace peace" was one of the best intervalls ever :D

I agree, the presentation was excellent (Love Love Peace Peace :floor:)

Maybe they should abandon the jury vote altogether and just let the people decide :dunno:

I don't think it'll work. The juries do have flaws, but they are reducing the influence of diaspora-voting, one of the main reasons why they were introduced. I think pure televoting has even more flaws than the combined system we have now. But I do think that they may should change the selection criteria of the members of the juries.

Edited by DerMoment1608