Panduck

Greetings from new fan from Norway.

Recommended Posts

Many years ago, a rather odd animation with a silly song "Lollipop" was shared around by my furry friends. It was quite a hit in the community, but it seems most thought it was just an animation project that someone had managed to make a catchy song to. Including me and my wife. At one point around a year ago, we even added it to one of our Spotify playlists. We somewhat managed to still thing this was a silly "made for a fun animation".

 

But fun songs are important, and a couple of weeks ago, I decided to see if the creator of this melody had made other fun things that we could possibly enjoy. Two weeks ago, I clicked on the "MIKA" word next to Lollipop, to see what Spotify could show me.

 

I had no idea...

 

Spotify played "Grace Kelly" - I had heard this one before. This was the same guy that did Lollipop? What a song, but mostly WHAT a voice! My curiosity peaked. This guy had TWO good songs?
Spotify gave me "Elle me dit" - Now I drew the conclusion that MIKA was a french artist. This was just a really cool song! Appearing rather simple disco style, but with a twist that gave it quite an appeal. This really was not my kinda music, and I LOVED it.

Spotify gave me "We are Golden" - And I was sold. I was pulled right back to the 80s. I knew I had found gold. I had heard 4 melodies. They were all amazing. They were all COMPLETELY different. It was even difficult match these to the same singer, indicating a voice talent that could put even the best singers of the 80s to shame.

 

It was through listening to "We are Golden" as I started to feel angry. Apart from "Grace Kelly", that I had heard some time long ago, this wasn't on the radio. This was not played... anywhere... I had been bombarded with music like "Dark Horse", lost track of how many times I had tried to close my ears as "Diamonds in the Sky" was played. But this... This was just friggin AMAZING, and somehow, it was ignored?

I broke my rule of not listening to music I did not already know while I was at work. Whenever I hear music I have not already heard, my brain works overtime analysing, and working becomes a tad more tricky. Spotify gave me Boum Boum Boum, and Wiki told me that MIKA was not French, but had true language skills. Spotify kept playing.

 

Then came Stardust - It was like hearing Per Gessle sing one of his love ballades together with someone that was not Marie Fredriksson. It was Roxette, just better. And being a huge Roxette fan in the 80s, I do not add "just better" easily. How in the world could this guy sound like Freddy Mercury in one song and Per Gessle in another? Dang, this song was the best I had heard in like.. well.. I have no idea.. This was instantly my MIKA favourite song. It could not get better than this.

 

Then came "Good Guys"... At this point I felt blessed that the guy that sits next to me at work was not at the office. I was in tears, how in the world could a person write this so beautifully, sing it so beautifully. I was proven wrong, Stardust was left in the dust, and I had now stopped questioning what this guy was capable of doing. I shipped off several links to songs to my wife and told her "This is the guy that did Lollipop... Please listen to this... like.. NOW!"

 

In one day I had gone from "I wonder if this person that made Lollipop did anything else worth listening to" to feeling like the world had been granted a genius of the scale of David Bowie. I was in love, I felt like a teen, fanboying over hits after hits from an amazing artist. Only that.. they were not hits... I was in joy of my discovery and in anger of this being kept away from public waves. Why wasn't´t this guy the most popular artist right now? Was I really mistaken, could the music really be no good, just somewhat appeal to me?

 

I got home, "Good Guys" was playing. "I have been playing Good Guys and Stardust on loop all day!". We spent the evening exploring even more songs. I most definitely was not alone. That day, MIKA had gained at least two new superfans. 

 

It has been around two weeks, and MIKA has been about the only thing we have listened to. 

"The more we hear of his music, the more depressingly obvious it is that MIKA is seriously the most underrated musical genius of our time." - my wife wrote on Facebook. 


"Lets party", "Any Other World" are other musical master pieces. They are more proof that MIKA isn't just a "good musician". He is nothing short of a musical genius.

"Hello, I am Panduck, and I am a MIKA superfan - it took me 4 songs to realise". I am a hobby composer (reason for being overly analytical when listening to music), feeling both like I have gotten more inspiration and fear, because dang, my music would be stupid compared to this guy. Both me and my wife are members of the furry fandom, where "Lollipop" became quite a hit some years back, and we have been surprised that the fandom, where straight people are in a minority, had not embraced MIKA more. We have found a few that are, but most do not even know him.

 

We are both turning 45 soon, and I am not at all surprised that many MIKA fans are our age. We grew up with many of the "good guys" being played on the radio. MIKA brings back memories and feelings. But he does not copy the style, he reinvents and expands it.

 

Thank you for ALL the music! Please, do not stop. The world needs your music!

Edited by Panduck
  • Like 20

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Panduck and Mrs :wink2:

Welcome to the MFC! Have a lot of fun here.

Thank you very much for your wonderful introduction.

If you have any question, don't hesitate to ask us.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic introduction !!!

Your massage made me smile, I'm pleased to read it.

Welcome to the MFC :welcomeani:.

 

Hope you make a new discovery Mika world.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Panduck and "Mrs Panduck"!! :bye:

I'm Gabriella, I'm 42 and live in Italy. 

Thanks for your introduction and welcome to the MFC!! :welcomeani:

Have fun here!! :yay:

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I saw your tweet yesterday, happy to see you made the jump into the mfc! 

 

Thank you for your introduction, not only it was very interesting to read but also it is a good reminder of what's important. 

 

I wish you and your wife a fantastic journey into mikaworld :welcomeani:

 

Mika-s-est-produit-au-G-A-Y-de-Londres_e

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Melyssa said:

Oh I saw your tweet yesterday, happy to see you made the jump into the mfc! 

 

 

Thanks for all the "welcome!" messages.

 

I made the tweet in order to "fish" for MIKA fans amongst my twitter friends. My "fishing for fans" amongst my facebook friends had not yielded much result, so I wanted to try to see if twitter gave any more response. It did not. Not a single one of my followers on twitter liked or responded anything to the tweet.

 

I did not expect the responses and reactions I got from where it came. My phone kept buzzing with likes, retweets and responses from total strangers, all MIKA fans. It seemed like such a wonderful, open and friendly fan-crowd. Not really too surprising given the message that MIKA gives in his music, but I was quite surprised the amount of responses. 

 

So, yes, of course I had to join :)  Now I am hoping to see other fans at a concert some time in the hopefully-near-future.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @Panduck and welcome to the MFC.  :welcomeani:  Nice, nice introduction. :wub2: Im sure you'll enjoy you time here. I'm totally agree on your last sentence: "Thank you for ALL the music! Please, do not stop. The world needs your music!" :thumb_yello:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Panduck said:

I did not expect the responses and reactions I got from where it came. My phone kept buzzing with likes, retweets and responses from total strangers, all MIKA fans. It seemed like such a wonderful, open and friendly fan-crowd. Not really too surprising given the message that MIKA gives in his music, but I was quite surprised the amount of responses. 

 

Hello again, Panduck! :bye:  Nice to see you here, I'm one of those strangers and was preparing to tweet you to join the Fanclub as well.  I was very pleased to read your tweet yesterday, it was obvious you got the "virus", and became  one of us :punk:  I found so many similarities in your introduction, you have no idea! I hope you'll enjoy Mika world, and be prepared to be amazed further on. He is a unique and charismatic artist, and not only his music is special, but also his personality, so you'll have to catch up with his interviews as well :wink2: 

 I hope you'll manage to attend to one of his gigs someday, but you should be warned: it's very addictive and there's no cure for that.... :welcomeani:

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, krysady said:

 I hope you'll manage to attend to one of his gigs someday, but you should be warned: it's very addictive and there's no cure for that.... :welcomeani:

 

Both me and my wife totally fell in love with Cirque de Soleil the first time we saw them, and have seen one show every year since then, september we have front row tickets to Varekai. We know about addictive performances.  Some of the songs by MIKA makes me think how well they would fit with Cirque de Soleil.

 

MIKA seems to be quite the performer, so I can truly imagine they will be quite an experience. We saw Fleetwood Mac in concert a couple of years back, and while being an amazing band that it was wonderful to get to experience live, they are so far from their prime, it was an experience more for the memory than what they are now. We definitely want to see MIKA while his voice is what it is now. And if we feel like we need to see him again and again, I do not see a problem with this :)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @PanduckI've read your tweet this morning, it was great to find your introduction when I logged in! Welcome between us :bye: 

It was a pleasure to read your feelings and thoughts about Mika, so thanks a lot for sharing them with us!! 

I really hope you're gonna discover more and more of our wonderful good guy in this site, and I also hope you both are gonna have the chance to see him live soon, for words can't describe the experience. Enjoy the MFC :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello!

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your introduction and I agree with a lot of the things you've said :)

Hope you'll have a great time here & welcome to MFC! :thumb_yello:

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

538874Sanstitre.png  Bonjour et bienvenue dans le MFC !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi and welcome to the MFC :bye:

 

You've got four albums to catch up with!

 

And you can catch a taste of Mika's live performances on video and DVD.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the MFC Panduck and have a lot of fun here. I´m also one of the strangers who reacted to your tweets and I´m happy to see you here. Thank you for your wonderful introduction, I really enjoyed reading it. Mika is such a wonderful talented singer/Songwriter. Does Spotify give you also his songs he did with a Sinfonie Orchestra? His voice is live as good as on the records and his songs are always so strong on stage. You really should watch his DVD´s from Como and from Paris last year. All in all I know 82 of his Songs and there are only five of them I don´t like that much. Have fun discovering more and more of Mika.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi :bye: and welcome to MFC Mr and Mrs Panduck  :hug:

I was testing MFC search on my phone and I typed "love" which took me to your wonderful introduction post :wub2:

Mika is a musical genius, I can not agree more with you :biggrin2: 

Glad you decided to join MFC and have a wonderful time discovering all Mika songs :thumb_yello: It's a great thing that you both became fans at the same time :wub2: so you can both enjoy Mika's albums , videos and his future gigs together :wub2: 

Thank you for sharing your Mika story with us :group_hug: 

 

 

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Panduck, it is so nice to read your story of mika-discovering. I couldn't stop smiling! Welcome to MFC and have a great time here!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to MFC! I loved reading your story. :wub2:  There's a lot of Mika to discover still and I'm sure you both will really enjoy that! :biggrin2: 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2017 at 5:57 PM, Panduck said:

 

Thanks for all the "welcome!" messages.

 

I made the tweet in order to "fish" for MIKA fans amongst my twitter friends. My "fishing for fans" amongst my facebook friends had not yielded much result, so I wanted to try to see if twitter gave any more response. It did not. Not a single one of my followers on twitter liked or responded anything to the tweet.

 

I did not expect the responses and reactions I got from where it came. My phone kept buzzing with likes, retweets and responses from total strangers, all MIKA fans. It seemed like such a wonderful, open and friendly fan-crowd. Not really too surprising given the message that MIKA gives in his music, but I was quite surprised the amount of responses. 

 

So, yes, of course I had to join :)  Now I am hoping to see other fans at a concert some time in the hopefully-near-future.

Hello Panduck! It's so fun to read your introduction. 

I have been trying to share Mika's songs with my friends, i can go on and on to introduce them with so many songs.

Sadly I don't know why, not many of my friends could appreciate that.. I rarely introduce songs to people like how I did for mika songs..his songs are like precious pieces of artwork which I would eagerly share with people.. somehow the response was not that great..so I end up joining here after 10 years of listening his songs.. here u will find people who treasure his talent..:wink2:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

Hi :bye: and welcome to MFC Mr and Mrs Panduck  :hug:

I was testing MFC search on my phone and I typed "love" which took me to your wonderful introduction post :wub2:

Mika is a musical genius, I can not agree more with you :biggrin2: 

Glad you decided to join MFC and have a wonderful time discovering all Mika songs :thumb_yello: It's a great thing that you both became fans at the same time :wub2: so you can both enjoy Mika's albums , videos and his future gigs together :wub2: 

Thank you for sharing your Mika story with us :group_hug: 

 

 

Haha.. I like for the part that you typed Love to test the search function :wink2:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and welcome to the MFC Panduck! :welcomeani:

Thank you for this amazing introduction, it's really lovely to discover how people found out about Mika, and what you wrote made my heart beat faster like I was discovering him all over again :blush-anim-cl:

 

Have fun here!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nie said:

I have been trying to share Mika's songs with my friends, i can go on and on to introduce them with so many songs.

Sadly I don't know why, not many of my friends could appreciate that.. I rarely introduce songs to people like how I did for mika songs..his songs are like precious pieces of artwork which I would eagerly share with people.. somehow the response was not that great..so I end up joining here after 10 years of listening his songs.. here u will find people who treasure his talent..:wink2:

 

I have managed to get one person really fall in love with his music. Also I found one of my friends is a big MIKA fan, really the last one I would expect, as we have been on a total clash when it came to likes for music. Other than MIKA, apparently... A few other friends enjoy some of his music. I am just so happy that my mate loves his music just as much as me. That is a lot more important to me than if my friends does or not.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Sabine64 said:

Welcome to the MFC Panduck and have a lot of fun here. I´m also one of the strangers who reacted to your tweets and I´m happy to see you here. Thank you for your wonderful introduction, I really enjoyed reading it. Mika is such a wonderful talented singer/Songwriter. Does Spotify give you also his songs he did with a Sinfonie Orchestra? His voice is live as good as on the records and his songs are always so strong on stage. You really should watch his DVD´s from Como and from Paris last year. All in all I know 82 of his Songs and there are only five of them I don´t like that much. Have fun discovering more and more of Mika.

 

Yes, it seems like spotify has all the different versions of the songs, they have different versions of the albums with the extra tracks, also the orchestral versions. I feel bad not having bought his CDs, had we discovered him 10 years ago, we sure would, right now we do not even have a CD player. I just want to support him more than listening on Spotify. We will get tshirts! And concert tickets! I dont even have a DVD player... But these things may be on Google Play, for sale there. I will have to check.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Panduck said:

 

 I dont even have a DVD player...

 

You really have to watch the Symphonic concert DVD from Como, Mika with an orchestra it's the best experience ever! And the DVD of his concert from Parc Des Princes stadium in Paris, you'll love it :original:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Panduck said:

 

Yes, it seems like spotify has all the different versions of the songs, they have different versions of the albums with the extra tracks, also the orchestral versions. I feel bad not having bought his CDs, had we discovered him 10 years ago, we sure would, right now we do not even have a CD player. I just want to support him more than listening on Spotify. We will get tshirts! And concert tickets! I dont even have a DVD player... But these things may be on Google Play, for sale there. I will have to check.

No worries, you can find all his songs on google play :thumb_yello: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.