The Essence of Mika

Anditwassummer

I am not a great guitarist.  But I am on my quest to figure out what exactly I like these songs so much.  So I put a bunch of them in C with a capo.  And sang them.   

This is when you really hear the simplicity and beauty of the melodies.  Everyone talks about Mika's melodies, including him.   But for me, until I went very very simple, the production has been a problem.  I like some of it, other stuff I think is overproduced.  Even the simple stuff usually has harmony singers.   Pull it back from that and you can own it,  stripped down to the core and forget the octave jumps if you like.  It is still beautiful stuff.  Maybe more beautiful that the big versions?

57 minutes ago, Anditwassummer said:

I am not a great guitarist.  But I am on my quest to figure out what exactly I like these songs so much.  So I put a bunch of them in C with a capo.  And sang them.   

This is when you really hear the simplicity and beauty of the melodies.  Everyone talks about Mika's melodies, including him.   But for me, until I went very very simple, the production has been a problem.  I like some of it, other stuff I think is overproduced.  Even the simple stuff usually has harmony singers.   Pull it back from that and you can own it,  stripped down to the core and forget the octave jumps if you like.  It is still beautiful stuff.  Maybe more beautiful that the big versions?

We've long thought that a perfect Mika gig would be just him with a piano.  He's not a great piano player, but he writes some very lyrical accompaniments to his songs. 

Try listening to "Falling", which later became "I See You" 

• Like 3

On 9/15/2017 at 9:35 PM, silver said:

We've long thought that a perfect Mika gig would be just him with a piano.  He's not a great piano player, but he writes some very lyrical accompaniments to his songs. 

I heard this once before and it proves the point.  One voice and a few notes on an instrument, and you can be just as moved as listening to a symphony.   BTW I am still figuring out this forum.  Wanted to quote you without the link and this is what happened!  

ven

3 hours ago, silver said:

I love "I'm falling' ! 

I was very surprised when 'I see you' was first released. I told my friend that ''It wasn't like that before this " . It took me awhile to accept "I see you' then like the song naturally :P

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/15/2017 at 3:35 PM, silver said:

I have not heard this yet, and I really love it. I wish he kept it this way, however, I do still love "I See You". I was watching an interview with him years ago and he said he cannot read sheet music so he just plays around on the piano until he creates something he likes. Knowing that, it amazes me even more when I see him play. 

Edited by emilyb
  • Like 1