Adam Lambert

Mika3Maniac

I loved the videos of this show, but for me, the Roger Taylor diehard fan, I TOTALLY loved the fact he played drums with his son Rufus Tiger. Rufus is an incredible drummer too. I might have to go and fangirl on some Rufus page somewhere:wub2:

Rufus looks just like his dad :teehee:. I like how he performs with his dad. Roger must be a really cool father.

I love that they support young artists.

I am not sure it is about the support of young artists, more about the Queen back catalogue...:rolls_eyes:

I have been shocked in the past by the endorsements I saw Queen’s name with. (e.g. covering WWRY with some boyband..etc) That time I thought Brian and Roger were desparate after their failed attempts to start a solo career after Freddie died and thought that John was the coolest of them all since he retired and probably plays golf all day.:naughty:

However, in recent years I realize that besides their duty to keep the band’s name alive Brian and Roger love performing and they simply have no other choice now but find decent ways to do so.

I liked Adam’s voice on American Idol and saw his performance at the MTV EMA on YT (it was great) as well as bits from this Kiev gig but it reminded me more of a performance from a musical – and to me that means lack of authenticity in rock music. Actually, hardly any real rock stars nowadays, so no surprise there. I may go to see them in case they perform here.

I think a lot of fans got into Mika in 2007 because of Brian May's endorsement. He was at the Sadler's Wells gig in 2009 and caused quite a stir among all the diehard fans. :teehee:

I kept turning back to look at his reaction at the end of a couple of songs.:teehee: Especially Stuck in the Middle - because of the way Mika plays the piano :pinkbow: ...btw. Mika no longer bothers to play the piano that much :no:

Edited by suzie

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I liked Adam’s voice on American Idol and saw his performance at the MTV EMA on YT (it was great) as well as bits from this Kiev gig but it reminded me more of a performance from a musical – and to me that means lack of authenticity in rock music. Actually, hardly any real rock stars nowadays, so no surprise there. I may go to see them in case they perform here.

I always thought Freddie was very theatrical and my idea of a "real" rock star was more along the lines of Robert Plant. At least Adam is more authentic than We Will Rock You. At least the Canadian performance I saw was terrible. The lead was like a young francophone Bryan Adams. It was just bizarre. :blink:

I kept turning back to look at his reaction at the end of a couple of songs.:teehee: Especially Stuck in the Middle - because of the way Mika plays the piano :pinkbow: ...btw. Mika no longer bothers to play the piano that much :no:

I think piano performances are all or nothing. Aside from bits of SITM I never especially enjoyed Mika's piano during a regular gig. I've seen Rufus Wainwright do an entire gig with nothing but him and a piano and of course Mika's points gig was fantastic. But when both Rufus and Mika are doing full band shows I think it's more interesting when they are up at the front and interacting face to face with the audience. Even the so-called acoustic show at Sadlers Wells...he had his back to half the people in the front row. I don't know how much I would have enjoyed that gig if I hadn't even been able to see his face. When you've got a full band or orchestra on stage the piano almost seems like a prop or a gimmick especially when he already has a keyboard player.

I think Mika's ability as a performer who directly engages the audience with physical energy is much stronger than his ability to play the piano. Since anyone can play those piano parts and only Mika can sing and has that charisma...it seems like a waste for him to just sit at a piano half the night.

I always thought Freddie was very theatrical and my idea of a "real" rock star was more along the lines of Robert Plant. At least Adam is more authentic than We Will Rock You. At least the Canadian performance I saw was terrible. The lead was like a young francophone Bryan Adams. It was just bizarre. :blink:.

I think WWRY the musical is horrendous. It has nothing to do with Freddie.

Freddie was a real rock star and not a diva, despite his eccentricities. You could dress in drag and still remain a credible rock star in the 70s and 80s and it is because they had authorship over their songs. Nowadays it is mainly just karaoke stars I find hard to even pay attention to.

I think piano performances are all or nothing. Aside from bits of SITM I never especially enjoyed Mika's piano during a regular gig. .

Mika is not a good player at all, I don't expect him to sit behind the piano all night. However, the way he plays the piano adds a lot to the song - to me at least. It's like listening to how the idea of the song evolved.

I am not (only) talking about concerts but performances like he had with the BBC and at radio stations at the beginning of his career. Him playing the piano / keyboards occasionally made songs sound much more credible to me. Now it is more about the set and him fooling around on stage. I miss some of his old performances.

Yes I agree about Freddie's authorship over the song and you're really never going to get a frontman with the same impact 30 years later. It's fine when the band is at the early stages like Genesis or AC/DC to change the lead singer but once they become iconic a new singer will never be seen as anything other than a pretender even if they are a better vocalist.

I also agree about Mika's promos with the keyboard but he hasn't done promo in 3 years so I guess it remains to be seen whether he will use a keyboard or not.

Yes I agree about Freddie's authorship over the song and you're really never going to get a frontman with the same impact 30 years later. .

yes, but I don't think there is a need to perform songs like-for-like 30 years later. The Freddie Mercury tribute was a great example howdifficult it was to even come close to Freddie's vocal talent and stage presence. I think only George Michael managed to do it that night and no-one came near ever since.

I remember people commenting on YT how the singer from Keane did brilliant performances of Queen songs and I listened to one: it was nothing but karaoke. No personal stamp on the song at all. So why do it then? :dunno:

I'm quite ok with one-off concerts, I must add and this one seems to have supported a good cause besides being pleasant to the ears - just listened to the whole gig :teehee:.

It's fine when the band is at the early stages like Genesis or AC/DC to change the lead singer but once they become iconic a new singer will never be seen as anything other than a pretender even if they are a better vocalist..

That is different though, since they released new material as well.

I would love to hear a song which Mika would write with Brian, Roger or John - that would be really interesting for me. Probably for them as well.

Edited by suzie

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I went to Adam Lambert concert last sunday... and it was beyond amazing :wub2: I just liked less than half of his songs, but his incredible live singing made me totally mad at him!! He was definitely one of best artists I've ever seen in live in my life.... :aah:

• 3 weeks later...
I went to Adam Lambert concert last sunday... and it was beyond amazing :wub2: I just liked less than half of his songs, but his incredible live singing made me totally mad at him!! He was definitely one of best artists I've ever seen in live in my life.... :aah:

:wub2::wub2:

i still dream of seeing him live..

its been soooo long since he did a proper gig here:aah:

he came to promote tresspassing but no show :no:

it looks like hes amazing...:wub2:

:wub2::wub2:

i still dream of seeing him live..

its been soooo long since he did a proper gig here:aah:

he came to promote tresspassing but no show :no:

it looks like hes amazing...:wub2:

He's truely a showman. The live singing can't even be compared with the CD recordings... I went to the show with just small expectation, but during the show I was like :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::fangurl:

He's truely a showman. The live singing can't even be compared with the CD recordings... I went to the show with just small expectation, but during the show I was like :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::fangurl:

Cant wait. Ive watched alot of vids. And e souds amazing:wub2:

It's Adam Lambert in Helsinki day!!! Lol, just sharing.

You have a Adam Lambert day?! :aah:

You have a Adam Lambert day?! :aah:

I had yesterday :naughty: He is a great performer indeed. Well obviously he is not Mika. A couple of hours waiting made my back hurt like hell, I was hungry and tired and wanted to go home before the show was even over, and I NEVER EVER feel like that at Mika gigs!! But Adam has an amazing voice and he did a good show, highly recommend seeing his show if it's possible some day :thumb_yello:

I had yesterday :naughty: He is a great performer indeed. Well obviously he is not Mika. A couple of hours waiting made my back hurt like hell, I was hungry and tired and wanted to go home before the show was even over, and I NEVER EVER feel like that at Mika gigs!! But Adam has an amazing voice and he did a good show, highly recommend seeing his show if it's possible some day :thumb_yello:

Naww :wub2:

He seems to never miss a note :)

Ive truly never queued or been standing for a show apart for mika. Hes in a league of his own :naughty:

Naww :wub2:

He seems to never miss a note :)

Ive truly never queued or been standing for a show apart for mika. Hes in a league of his own :naughty:

Indeed , he never miss notes...so powerful even touching highest part :shocked:

• 4 years later...
  • mari62 changed the title to Adam Lambert