Mika receiving the keys of the city of Florence 10 January 2018

Gabry74

3 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

An article about the keys of the city of Florence

http://www.toscanaday.it/2016/02/06/firenze-chiavi-della-citta-la-storia/

Google translator

Florence and the extraordinary history of the Keys of the City

Holding the Keys of the City means gaining the gratitude and trust of an entire community. The mayor of a locality gives this honor to distinguished personalities who have distinguished themselves in the fields of art, literature, music, engaged in the social, great communicators of messages and civic courage, in practice healthy carriers of Culture.

In the Disciplinary for the conferment of "The Keys of the City" we find: "The delivery of the Keys of the City is accompanied by a document bearing the motivation and are likely reproductions of the original keys relating to the three gates of San Gallo, San Frediano and Romana". There is also an Official Register of the recipients of the Keys of the City kept at the Ceremonial Office of the Office of the Mayor.
The Keys take us back to the Middle Ages, when the cities were fortified and the walls had large doors with huge locks. Manned accesses, which were closed at night.
Having the keys therefore means being able to access at any time, because it has conquered the heart of the city.

The authentic Chiavi di Firenze are preserved in Palazzo Vecchio since November 2002

The Chiavi di Porta San Gallo returned to Florence thanks to Joseph Roth, the grandson of Cecil Roth who owned it, in May 2000.
The historian Cecil Roth (1899-1970) very close to Florence, was a passionate collector of works of art of Italian Jewry and, in particular, of the history of the Florentine Republic.
porta_san_galloThe four Keys of the ancient Porta San Gallo were donated to the City of Florence according to the testamentary dispositions of the historian Cecil Roth during a sumptuous ceremony in the Salone dei Cinquecento of Palazzo Vecchio.
After being restored, they enter the "Topographical Historical Museum of Florence as it was".

"After centuries, from the warehouses of Palazzo Vecchio and from the London auction house of Sotheby's, the keys, after long wanderings, are now visible to the citizens - explained the then councilor for popular traditions, Eugenio Giani, today President of the Tuscan Regional Council - keys that open three of the twelve doors that marked the entrances in the ancient city of Florence. The case decided that just a few months after the donation of Cecil Roth, just in a closet of Palazzo Vecchio, the other two bags with the keys of Porta Romana and Porta San Frediano were also found. Nobody knew that those keys were right there.
Cecil Roth wrote several letters to Florence to give the keys, already in 1969 to the then mayor Bargellini, but he had no answer.
In 1999 Luciano Artusi found a letter from Cecil Roth and understood the importance of the offer. From there the contacts started, when I went to London to see the Arsenal-Fiorentina football match ".

"It is the end of a long history that began in 1536 with the siege of Florence by the Spanish troops led by Charles V who stole the keys to prevent the doors from being barred and the city defended - said Joseph Roth - and after long troubles, they got hold of a London antique dealer. The Porta San Gallo was the most important because it controlled the direction towards the north.
porta_san_frediano_particolare_a After years of fog the keys reappeared in the nineteenth century in Florence at an antique dealer who lived in via Ghibellina. After his death, in 1893 they were bought by the antiquarian Melli and sold to his colleague Gallini. On 17 May 1894 the keys were exported to England (then the equivalent was 100 lire).
On November 4, 1936, they were auctioned off at the Sotheby's House and bought for three pounds and fifteen shillings by Mrs. Irene Roth, wife of Professor Cecil, who gave her to her husband. Their current value is around 10,000 euros ".

The four keys weigh two kilos, are made of iron, are tied by a chain and are accompanied by the ancient leather bag, which once preserved them.

The gabelle was paid for at the entrance to the gates. According to an old description of the income and expenditure of the City of Florence for the year 1339, the gate tax yielded annually to the Municipality 90,200 florins, the highest absolute income.

porta_san_frediano_particolareThe keys of the city gates were made, like many of the city's keys, from the Chiavaioli enrolled in the Minor Arts in via dell'Arcivescovado, a few steps from Santa Maria del Fiore.
They were kept in Palazzo Vecchio at the time of the Republic, when the offices were officially established with the task of opening and closing the doors, whose doors were divided into two sections: usually the lower one was opened to let pedestrians and vehicles pass.
The little door, called the door, had also been cut out, hence only the pedestrians.

In the seventeenth century, the keys were called small and large: one to open and close the door, the other to open and close the larger doors.
The activity was carried out by the Tavolaccini of Palazzo Vecchio under the surveillance of the Guardaroba Maggiore, one of the most important positions at the Court.
Every day of the year the Tavolaccini came out and returned from Palazzo Vecchio with the whole bunch of keys to go in the morning to open the doors, an hour after the Ave Maria dell'Aurora and close them at one o'clock in the morning.
The door was usually closed by the Stradieri, while the Tavolaccino put the bolt and turned the key.
Before closing, he gave the warning by hammering the hammer three times, so that all the people and vehicles near the doors had time to enter or exit. Who was nearby threw a stone at the door to warn of his arrival; hence the saying "being at the door with the stones".

Keys to the Florence Gates _ Nicola Salvioli

The restoration or "Extraordinary maintenance of the keys, gilded brass plates and leather cases" is due to the company Nicola Salvioli, with the collaboration of Chiara Martinelli.
The Company specializes in cultural heritage goods made of metal and in polymaterial objects with a predominantly metallic composition, and possesses a wealth of know-how on archaeological, ancient, modern and contemporary artefacts, matured mainly in Tuscany, in Italy and abroad. .
"The right balance between artisan knowledges, historical notions and technical and scientific expertise and the importance of intervening following a conscious and respectful, thoughtful and never final modus operandi constitute the valid basis that the company proposes as a solution in the field of restoration". Nicola Salvioli, Modena born in 1976, trained at the Opificio delle Pietre Dure, which operates mainly for public bodies, such as Superintendencies, Municipalities, Universities, but also for Ecclesiastical Entities, Foundations and Private.
FacebookTwitter

chiavi_porte_firenze.thumb.jpg.b604e7f84b05e953f7fc2bae2befec83.jpg

Chiavi-delle-Porte-di-Firenze-_-Nicola-Salvioli.jpg.9f0ba531f8f2182bd13350442906b20a.jpg

chiavi_firenze.jpg.2e855b2931aae8d53d07def66f6621c3.jpg

:thumb_yello: Thanks a million Eriko!! :flowers2:You're unbelievable! :huglove: This's such an interesting art. - real history, which I'll print, and file in my box with MIKA treasures - the oldfashioned way! :blush-anim-cl:

MIKA seems to give us a new reason to be proud of him, every month now...:wub2::wub2:

Love, love

me 

Edited by mamiam
  • Like 4

La Repubblica Firenze

http://www.repubblica.it

Mika riceve le chiavi della città

65 words

9 January 2018

La Repubblica Firenze

Palazzo Vecchio

P.za della Signoria, sala Leone X Domani ore 10,30 

Sono state le scritte omofobe che precedettero il suo primo concerto fiorentino nel 2015 a dare il via alla campagna di sensibilizzazione #rompiamo il silenzio. Mika torna a Firenze per ricevere le chiavi della città dal sindaco Nardella in una cerimonia a Palazzo Vecchio.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sabine64 said:

Is it possible he gets the keys because oft that incident with that concert poster?

I don't think it's just for that incident but for SCM most of all and next year his symphonic concert in Firenze opera, which brought many people in town and opera subscriptions, as it was unavoidable to see the concert...

And economic fallout in general...

Edited by Boucarilla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sabine64 said:

Is it possible he gets the keys because oft that incident with that concert poster?

Well, I think because he is also very committed to civil rights and against homophobia. 

• Like 10

E anche perché è un illustre cittadino di questa città!

In ogni caso, sono contento di vedere un riconoscimento sociale della sua arte dopo il fallimento del SCM.

:thumb_yello:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Loo said:

E anche perché è un illustre cittadino di questa città!

In ogni caso, sono contento di vedere un riconoscimento sociale della sua arte dopo il fallimento del SCM.

:thumb_yello:

Be careful to speak in english; don't do like me to speak in french in a general thread! :lmfao:Ceci dit ton italien est pas mal... :thumb_yello: OK I stop it!

7 minutes ago, Boucarilla said:

Be careful to speak in english; don't do like me to speak in french in a general thread! :lmfao:Ceci dit ton italien est pas mal... :thumb_yello: OK I stop it!

Flute!
 I answered Gabry, so I made a mistake!

Thanks for telling me, I don't want to get beat up too! :lmfao:

I love Italian as much as I row in English! :wub2:

Edited by Loo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boucarilla said:

I don't think it's just for that incident but for SCM most of all and next year his symphonic concert in Firenze opera, which brought many people in town and opera subscriptions, as it was unavoidable to see the concert...

And economic fallout in general...

I'd rather think it's both

• Like 2