Mika for "Celebrating - Made in Grazia" Fashion Art and Talents September 2018

Gabry74

Mika and Pierpaolo Piccioli in a special edition of the magazine Grazia for the 80th birthday: "Celebrating - Made in Grazia" Fashion Art and Talents.

Grazia, the world’s only italian fashion magazine, is 80

• The Mondadori Group brand is published on 5 continents with 20 international editions, 17 million readers and 35 million unique users
  • This evening a celebratory evening will take place with Italian and world famous celebrities, including Pixie Lott, Ireland Basinger Baldwin, Patty Pravo and Eleonora Abbagnato.
    And in the role of exceptional “godmother”, the top model Nadège. A special prize will go to Alessandro Gassman for an outstanding career
    of more than 30 years.
  • On the occasion of its 80th anniversary, Grazia has produced a special collectors’ edition called Celebrating – Made in Grazia, in recognition of Italian beauty and talent.

Grazia, the Mondadori Group weekly that is a reference point in fashion and an authentic voice in current affairs, is celebrating its 80thanniversary by maintaining all of the passion and urgency  it started with.

First published in Italy in 1938, today Grazia  is the only 100% Italian fashion magazine sold across the world, from France and Great Britain, and from Mexico to China and Australia.

The title has accompanied generations of women thanks to a unique formula that combines fashion, current affairs and news; as well as investigations and background profiles, on issues of greatest interest, along with con exclusive features, a visionary style supported by great photographers and interviews with world-famous personalities, thanks to a continuous ongoing dialogue with leading protagonists around the world and a special relationship with celebrities, top models and designers.

Strong points that have enabled the iconic brand to evolve into a multi-channel systemthat is appreciated by the most dynamic and sophisticated readers and digital communities as the ideal interpreter of Made in Italy.

Today Grazia, which is published in 5 continents with 20 editions, reaches a total of more than 17 million readers with monthly sales of over 10 million copies, 35 million unique users every month and 13 million followers on social media, confirming its position as one of the preferred advertising vehicles for upscale fashion and cosmetics companies.

THE CELEBRATORY EVENT

This evening an event will take place in Milan to celebrate the 80th anniversary of Grazia, the culmination of a series of special initiatives, organised during the year by the Italian magazine edited by Silvia Grilli with the hashtag #Graziayoungsince1938, to celebrate the history of the iconic brand of the Mondadori Group.

The event, which is being held at the prestigious Rotonda della Besana, will begin with cocktails before proceeding with an exclusive show inspired by the values that have made Grazia a distinctive brand that continues to evolve: Made in Italy, internationalism, creativity, elegance and sustainability.

Joining Ernesto Mauri, Chief Executive Officer of Mondadori Group, Silvia Grilli, editor of the magazine and Carla Vanni, director of the Grazia International Network, will be a range of Italian a world-famous international guests including: Pixie Lott, Ireland Basinger Baldwin, daughter of Kim Basinger and Alec Baldwin, Patty Pravo, Eleonora Abbagnato, the soprano Carly Paoli, Victoria Cabello, Filippa Lagerback, Alessia Marcuzzi and journalist Mia Ceran.

The exceptional “godmother” of the event will be Nadège, one of the most famous top models of the golden age of fashion and one of that small group of “super models” that revolutionised the fashion system, transforming themselves from mannequins into women with strong personalities able to enchant entire generations.

The actor Alessandro Gassman will receive a special prize for an outstanding career of over 30 years and social commitment, both in Italy and abroad, a manifestation of the values of excellence and responsibility that have always inspired Grazia’s journalistic mission. The special musical guest is Ofenbach, the French duo that has achieved world renown with their music with the hits Be Mine (three Platinum Discs in Italy) and Italy’s most played track on the radio in 2017, Katchi (Platinum Disc) and Party, and the new single Paradise.

The event has the support of the City of Milan Milano and the Camera Nazionale della Moda Italiana, and coincides with the opening of the Milan Fashion Week.

During the evening it will also be possible to admire Terzo Paradiso by Michelangelo Pistoletto, a work which, on the occasion of the 80th anniversary of Grazia, was created by the artist using only recovered copies of the magazine to underline an eco-sustainable promise and reaffirm the role of the printed page in contemporary society: to inform and stimulate thought.

The installation will remain open to visitors of the historic site of the Rotonda della Besana during the whole of the Milan Fashion Week, which ends on 21 September.

20180918_090349.jpg

Edited by Gabry74
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Grazia festeggia 80 anni a Milano con un party e tante star

In occasione dell’anniversario, il settimanale di Gruppo Mondadori pubblica il “coffee table book” Celebrating – made in Grazia

di Lorenzo Mosciatti
17 settembre 2018

grazia-80-anni

Grazia compie 80 anni e li festeggia con un evento in programma stasera a Milano e una raccolta pubblicitaria che continua a crescere.

Il settimanale del Gruppo Mondadori, presente dal 1938 in Italia in tutto il mondo con 20 edizioni, raggiunge complessivamente 17 milioni di lettori con più di 10 milioni di copie vendute su base mensile, 35 milioni di utenti unici al mese e 13 milioni di follower sui social media, confermandosi così uno dei veicoli pubblicitari preferiti dalle aziende di moda e cosmetica nel mercato di alta gamma.

In Italia il sistema editorialc di Grazia, fa sapere Mondadori, è reduce da tre anni consecutivi di crescita dei ricavi pubblicitari, un risultato ottenuto in un mercato, quello della stampa periodica, che viaggia invece sempre su valori negativi. La pubblicità digitale, in particolare, registra un incremento del business a doppia cifra, un trend confermato anche nel corso 2018. Per quanto riguarda il cartaceo, da gennaio a luglio il numero di pagine raccolte dalla concessionaria Mediamond è aumentano dell’1% rispetto allo stesso periodo del 2017.

L’evento di stasera organizzato nella prestigiosa cornice della Rotonda della Besana, culmine di una serie di iniziative speciali lanciate nel corso dell’anno dal magazine italiano diretto da Silvia Grilli con lo slogan #Graziayoungsince1938, si aprirà con un cocktail e darà poi vita a uno show esclusivo ispirato ai valori che hanno reso Grazia un brand distintivo in continua evoluzione: made in Italy, internazionalità, creatività, eleganza e sostenibilità.

Insieme a Ernesto Mauri, amministratore delegato del Gruppo Mondadori, Silvia Grilli, direttore del magazine, e Carla Vanni, direttore del Grazia International Network, saranno presenti ospiti italiani e di fama internazionale come Pixie Lott, Ireland Basinger Baldwin, figlia di Kim Basinger e Alec Baldwin, Patty Pravo, Eleonora Abbagnato, la soprano Carly Paoli, Victoria Cabello, Filippa Lagerback, Alessia Marcuzzi e la giornalista Mia Ceran. Madrina d’eccezione Nadège, una delle più famose top model dell’epoca d’oro della moda che ha fatto parte di quel ristretto gruppo di “supermodelle” che hanno rivoluzionato il fashion system.

Silvia-Grilli Silvia Grilli

L’attore Alessandro Gassman sarà premiato per il talento mostrato in oltre 30 anni di carriera e l’impegno sociale offerto in Italia e nel mondo, incarnando i valori di eccellenza e di responsabilità che da sempre ispirano la missione giornalistica di Grazia. Special guest musicale, il duo francese Ofenbach.

L’evento è patrocinato dal Comune di Milano e dalla Camera Nazionale della Moda Italiana, in concomitanza con l’apertura del calendario della Fashion Week milanese.

Nel corso della serata sarà possibile ammirare “Terzo Paradiso” di Michelangelo Pistoletto. In occasione dell’evento celebrativo degli 80 anni di Grazia, l’opera è stata realizzata dall’artista utilizzando esclusivamente copie recuperate del magazine, per sottolineare una promessa ecosostenibile e ribadire il ruolo della carta stampata nella società contemporanea: informare e creare pensiero. L’installazione resterà a disposizione dei visitatori del complesso della Rotonda della Besana durante la settimana della moda milanese fino al 21 settembre.

Una pubblicazione speciale per l’anniversario

In occasione dell’anniversario, Grazia ha inoltre pubblicato Celebrating – made in Grazia, un “coffee table book” sulle cui pagine si alternano interviste, storie e immagini dedicate ai più grandi talenti italiani e alla cultura e al genio internazionali visti da importanti autori del nostro Paese. Le modelle più famose ritratte da celebri fotografi, come Bianca Balti fotografata da Gia Coppola, le storie di vita e di lavoro di noti stilisti, uomini e donne del cinema, le star della musica, della danza, dello sport, dell’architettura, dell’arte, del design, della letteratura. Personaggi di ambiti diversi si incontrano dando vita a racconti inaspettati come nelle conversazioni tra Mika e Pierpaolo Piccioli, Diego Della Valle e Pierfrancesco Favino, Miuccia Prada e Alice Rohrwacher, o nei ritratti di Roberto Bolle e di Donatella Versace firmati dagli scrittori Marco Missiroli e Teresa Ciabatti.

Il numero da collezione, che ha raccolto grazie al lavoro di Mediamond 196 pagine di inserito pubblicitario su una foliazione complessiva di 468 pagine, contiene inoltre le rivisitazioni delle copertine di Grazia di ieri e di oggi firmate dai grandi artisti italiani Marcello Maloberti, Mimmo Paladino, Paola Pivi, Nico Vascellari. Celebrating – Made in Grazia, in italiano e in inglese, sarà in vendita dal 18 settembre nelle edicole e in selezionate librerie delle principali città internazionali.

Domani la Grazia Global Conference 2018

Le celebrazioni per gli 80 anni di Grazia proseguiranno martedì 18 settembre con la Grazia Global Conference 2018. La giornata di lavori a Palazzo Mondadori, sede del Gruppo, vedrà protagonisti il direttore del Grazia International Network Carla Vanni assieme ai direttori e ai partner delle 20 edizioni del magazine nel mondo (Italia, Francia, Spagna, Germania, Olanda, Inghilterra, Serbia, Croazia, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Russia, Emirati Arabi, Messico, Arabia, Pakistan, India, Cina, Corea, Marocco e Australia).

L’incontro accoglierà le testimonianze speciali di Rosita, Angela, Luca e Francesco Missoni; Robert Triefus, Executive Vice President, Chief Marketing Officer, Brand and Customer Engagement di Gucci e Brunello Cucinelli, presidente e amministratore delegato dell’omonimo brand. E sarà anche un’occasione di confronto sui trend e gli scenari futuri della moda nell’era digitale, con gli interventi di Carla Buzasi, Managing Director di WGSN, e Giuliano Noci, professore di Strategy and Marketing e Prorettore del Polo Territoriale cinese del Politecnico di Milano.

• Like 9

On 9/18/2018 at 9:23 PM, lormare73 said:

This is the english translation of the article. I hope you are able to read it. 

Thanks a million for sharing @lormare73.

I tried to transcribe the article. Please point it out if there are any mistakes in my transcription.:blush-anim-cl:

EYES FULL OF WONDER

One is a global pop star; the other is the creative director of the Valentino fashion house. One is “rootless” and at home around the world; the other is constantly traveling but always has a “place to go back to”. They are different in age, origin and lifestyle, but bound by a deep friendship. Mika and Pierpaolo Piccioli discuss their loves, fears, challenges, and how they learned to keep their “eyes full of wonder”.

On the surface, Mika and Pierpaolo Piccioli do not have much in common. One is an international pop star, the other is the creative director of Valentino, one of the brands that is most representative of luxury and Italian craftsmanship. Mika, 35, is at home around the world: born in Lebanon, he fled with his family because of the civil war that tore the country apart for 15 years, spending time in France, Great Britain and the United States. Piccioli, 51, is solidly tethered to Rome, where he works, and Nettuno, a few kilometers from the capital, on the Lazio coast, where he grew up and where he lives. Their stories are very different, yet interconnected, thanks to a shared creativity and deep, warm, conspirational friendship.

Mika: We do the same thing, but with different materials.

Pierpaolo Piccioli: In a different form, I would say.

Mika: I like to take on everything in a very intense way. Five years ago, I didn’t speak Italian. In two months I learned it and I was on a television show, X Factor. But I have the same attitude in any setting. Not long ago, I became interested in trying horseback riding. I took a few lessons and two months later i bought a horse. In a matter of weeks, I learned how to jump over obstacles higher than a meter. Every day I train for two hours and then I go to the studio to work.

Pierpaolo Piccioli: But once you’ve learned how to jump as well as you can, in the best way, you’ll get bored, you’ll stop jumping and you’ll move on to something else. Right now it’s your big passion, but in a few months you’ll be tired of it.

M: That’s true, but let’s not get the word out. [He laughs.] I don’t get bored that easily.

PP: The fact is that you always need new challenges.

M: When I have to reach level B, I work to get to Z, going through all the intermediate steps. I need to be able to do my best so that I can do easy things well. It’s a condition that stems from my past. When I was eight years old, a Russian teacher instilled a rigid discipline in me. And I understood that you have to overcome your limitations to succeed in doing what others expect of you. It’s a mindset that you have, too.

PP: If you stay on your turf, with what you know best, you don’t move forward. If you only do what you want to do, you don’t grow. When I was eight years old, I lived in a small town outside Rome, far away from fashion, from everything. Distance was my limitation. But I made my dream come true and life gave me much more than I could ever have imagined; everything I’ve achieved is like a gift. And that’s why I keep going in my work without anxiety. But I, too, always need to do new things, because I want to work with that enthusiasm, with that enchantment that I experienced early on in my career. As a young man, I saw fashion as an almost unattainable world and I still want to have that perspective.

M: You want to keep your eyes full of wonder. Wonder is a natural feeling when you’re little and then, with age, you develop a kind of protective shield that makes you impervious to everything. It comes from experience, from disenchantment. In the creative process there is a fluidity that removes that shield, and that almost child-like capacity for wonder is essential to produce excitement in other people, whether they are 7 or 75 years old.

PP: There’s something else that we have in common. Both of us have stable personal lives, families composed of people who are very different from us. I’ve thought about it so many times. I think that you can jump one, two, or ten meters on a horse, you can get past the limits, the boundaries, because you know where to go home. On the other hand, when people don’t have anything behind them, they get lost. Both of us have a center of gravity that keeps us balanced: the people who love us and whom we love.

M: I sensed this strength inside you from our very first meeting. You have deep roots, which allow you to not feel afraid of intimacy, of telling stories. Thanks to these roots you don’t fall into the trap of playing a role, which is an enormous danger for those in our line of work, for those in the public eye. In the fashion of the 50s, 60s and 70s there was more romanticism, there was the idea of a creator. In the 90s and 2000s, the designer became a lifestyle inventor. When I met you, before a plate of spaghetti with clams in a small trattoria in Milan, I thought “Here is a designer who is able to see the big picture.” You and I can talk about the importance of cooking a particular dish or about a work exhibited at the Venice Biennale, or about gossip or philosophy. It doesn’t matter: we’ll still be talking in the same way. When creativity is your engine, it’s very important to know where you come from, so that you’re free to fly. And I know a wonderful thing about you: for you, this place to go home is a geographical place - Nettuno.

PP: I felt different in Nettuno. Overcoming limitations for me was also about returning to the place from which I had wanted to flee. Living there for me today is also a way of expressing the freedom I have to do my job while rejecting the stereotype of the designer who lives in a castle or in a big city and goes to parties. Today it’s as though the life you lead and the image you present of yourself are worth more than your talent. For me, it’s essential to be faithful to who you are, however you are, and it doesn’t even matter whether others understand it. The important thing is for you to know it and not to become how others want to see you. If you change your identity, you also change the reasons for your success. In a creative profession, you have to use your most real and intimate identity. That’s true for you, too.

M: But unlike you, I have no place to go back to. Not having roots in any one place is typical of my generation and those that came after it. My job is anti-adult. Eleven years have passed since my first album, I speak new languages, I have a family that lived in London but is now scattered around the world. My first song was like a stone that I tossed and now that stone has become an enormous rock, to which I am tied and which I carry around the world. But I want to do it, I need to support that weight. I don’t have a place to go back to; I have people to go back to. That’s why I’m more interested in knowing who I come from than where. I am the migrant child of migrants. The culture I come from has become essential, because it’s the one that gives me my sense of identity. I don’t want to belong to any place. I’d rather belong to people, ideas, gestures, to the mythology of a country more than the country itself.

PP: That’s what makes you free: belonging to people more than to places. The idea of a homeland is an anachronism. It scares me, just as borders do.

M: Because they are the opposite of culture. Protection stems from a conscious ignorance. Thinking you’ll find your identity by closing yourself off is a fatal contradiction, with horrible consequences.

PP: Progress comes from breaking barriers; that’s always been the case. You gave a generation of people awareness by talking about freedom and equal opportunity. That’s where the strength of artists lies, in spreading ideas that go beyond their expressive form and make people think. Your strength is in being open to all possibilities. You’re a mix of influences - it’s part of modernity. But you also have a profound awareness of who you are. If you didn’t, you would become generic, you wouldn’t be able to communicate anything interesting, you would repeat things that had already been done, already been seen. That’s true for me too. One’s way of looking at things is crucial.

M: And the curiosity with which we look at them.

PP: Sure. But let’s not hide the fact that we’re also two obsessive perfectionists. Before my most difficult performances you always tell me’ “Get ready: it will be a total disaster, you’ll be awful.”

M: Yes, sometimes I despair, I cry and you tell me off.

PP: But when you’re in that intense state you work better. You’re like a tightrope walker. If you have the net beneath you, you walk across the rope. If you don’t have a net you run. That’s what makes you an artist. You have to express a strong emotion of yours to elicit emotions in others. The same is true for me: when I worked with Maria Grazia [Chiuri, currently creative director for the Dior women’s lines] I was more rational, because when you work with someone else you discuss every idea and every intuition turns into a rational analysis. On my own, I learned to give in to my emotions more.

M: I remember a great moment. You were about to present your first collection. I stopped by the atelier and we went to dinner with your family and your team members, who were all tired, but electrified. Right then, we had fun, we talked until 2 o’clock in the morning, and I thought, “I can feel creativity, talent; the atmosphere is sweet even if the stress is palpable. Everything will be fine.”

PP: For me, staying on as Valentino’s creative director was an obvious choice, because I feel that is my place, the one that makes me free. But it’s a role that I had shared , so there was a risk that I would end up like a table with a missing leg, and I knew it. At times like these, your children help. Benedetta [one of Piccioli’s three children] was about to take her exams at the end of the high school. One evening, she started talking to me about the philosopher Nietzsche, who said that you must be aware of your roots, but there has to be a moment in which you forget them, so that you can look forward - otherwise, you’re too tied to the past or too focused on the future. I thought: “That’s me at this moment in my life.” Instead of changing perspective, I decided to change the perspective of others so that I could be “seen”. And at the show, with all the people I care about around me I felt love. I understood that what you build is what supports you.

M: I like coming to see you the night before the show, in the offices at Place Vendôme in Paris. If God ever decided to buy a place in Europe, he would have an apartment there: there is the most indescribable view. Your family and your work group arrive from Rome, and it’s as though everyone had moved to Paris in a bubble. And to me it feels like being in an amusement park. There are amazing dresses, beautiful young men and women, but also your kids, with one claiming to be hungry and another wanting to go play soccer…It’s the most wonderful moment. My challenge is to make the models laugh, as they’re always very serious. But I never succeed: they’re there to work and they just want to go home. Whereas for me, being in your show would be tough. I’d love to, if I could be invisible.

PP: For my part, I always go to your concerts. I sing, dance, let loose: no one notices me. And I have a blast.

M: But we never talk about music.

PP: Or fashion. Because we talk about what feeds our creativity.

M: Creation needs solitude.

PP: It’s indispensable, you seek it out.

M: But it doesn’t mean that you’re alone.

PP: It’s the only time when you can stop thinking about what you’re doing, and focus on what you want to say. Every creative act flows from a kind of urgency, from something personal, that you want to put out there. Then you decide what shape it will take - but first, you need a moment to just look for the spark.

M: It can happen in a flash. You call it accidental coherence.

PP: It’s not all that clear when you try to put things together, but the finally instinct kicks in, making complexity simple. Only then can you “show” your idea to others. For example, we only talk about what you’ll wear for your performances once you’ve decided what you’re going to do on stage.

M: It’s a moment I fear: you call me and I describe the show to you, I use words to paint a picture. And I know that by the end of our chat I will have understood whether it works or not.

PP: That’s exactly right: you talk, and I see.

M: I talk and you say “Ah, ah…” or “Ummmm…”

PP: And so you change.

M: True. But I do it because while I’m talking to you I’m also picturing everything. And I understand what doesn’t work.

PP: And once the image comes into focus we find two words that capture the spirit of your show.

M: It’s accidental coherence. You and I call it that.

(Interview conducted by Laura Incardona)

Edited by Kumazzz
typo
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1