First thoughts on The Origin Of Love album!

Gemz

Hey everyone!

Since the first post I wrote on here just over a month ago I have been spoiled with Mika content to explore and what a wonderful time I am having! 🤩

I appreciate all the comments on the post, they made me feel very welcome 🤗

Some of you guys wanted to know my thoughts on his newer albums, well they are new to me!

So over the past few days I have been listening to The Origin Of Love album and you guys were right when you said it has a different sound but still captured Mika's style.

So the first song on the album is Origin Of Love. I like the uniqueness of this song however I would have preferred less effects on the vocals. I really the like the instrumental on this track.

Lola is next and I really like this song, it is very chill and a happy sounding song, probably one of my favorites on the album at the moment.

Stardust is a nice song, it sounds like it should be a song in the film Wreck It Ralph, does anyone else think this?  There is a brilliant remix of this song on the deluxe disc of the album also.

Make You Happy isn't my cup of tea to be honest, but I like the acoustic version on the deluxe disc.

Underwater, what a beautiful song. I already heard it from one of Mika's most recent performances and at first I thought he was gonna sing Set Fire To The Rain by Adele because the Piano sounds kinda similar at the start, definitely one of my favorites on the album.

Overrated, I heard a demo of this song from 2007 and I really liked it, this new version sounds like a club remix! I like this song but I prefer the acoustic sound of this song.

Kids, this song isn't one of my favorites, it's nice but I don't think it stands out on the album.

Love You When I'm Drunk, is a fun song, I really like the verses, the acoustic version is also great.

Step With Me, includes a unnamed female vocalist? It's a nice calm song but again not one of my favourites.

Popular Song, I was already familiar with the version he did with Ariana Grande and I never really liked that version. I actually like the one on the album better but it's weird hearing Mika rap.

Emily, I absolutely love this song, it is definitely my favorite on the album, and probably one of my favorite Mika songs at the moment. It actually made me cry 😭 because I can relate to the song even though my name isn't Emily. The french version Elle Me Dit is also nice, I might try to learn the words to improve my french.😄

Heroes, I really like the meaning of this song, I watched the track by track video with Mika talking about this song and apparently he was told not to include this song on the album, I'm glad he did because it is lyrically one of my favourites.

Celebrate, I do like this song, this song sounds like it should be on Wreck It Ralph aswell! I don't like the sound of the chorus so much but I really like the sound of the verses  and the last part of the song where he sings "I wanna go home" over the chorus. I don't like the remix of this song on the deluxe disc.

The last song I would say is Tah Dah which is on the deluxe disc, I'm confused because they could have just swapped the Make You Happy remix on the standard disc with Tah Dah.

I like the circus references, it is a solid song, perfect production. Has he performed it live? I can't find any videos on YouTube.

All the acoustic tracks on the deluxe discs are brilliant, I must admit I think Mika is the best acoustic performer I've ever heard, his voice just suits it so much and the fact that he plays the piano on the tracks aswell shows how talented he is.

Listening to this album was wonderful and has made me very excited for No Place In Heaven which I'll probably listen to next month as I'll get a copy for my birthday :D

I would love to know what you guys thought of the album when it came out and your favorite songs. I would say my Top 5 at the moment are Emily, Underwater, Tah Dah, Lola and Stardust.

• Like 5

It's very hard to tell which song I like more than the other, every is special and it depends what is my mood in particular day. Today I would choose Celebrate, Emily and Stardust because they are joyful and I'm feeling happy. I'm impressed that you can explain all the songs. The one thing I'm certain about is that I don't like the song Kids and it's the least favourite song from every Mika songs to me. I'm also not a fan of remixes but looove acoustic versions. They are just beautiful! :fangurl:

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dominika said:

It's very hard to tell which song I like more than the other, every is special and it depends what is my mood in particular day. Today I would choose Celebrate, Emily and Stardust because they are joyful and I'm feeling happy. I'm impressed that you can explain all the songs. The one thing I'm certain about is that I don't like the song Kids and it's the least favourite song from every Mika songs to me. I'm also not a fan of remixes but looove acoustic versions. They are just beautiful! :fangurl:

Have you heard Kids acoustic? It's really beautiful.:wub2:

I have many favorite songs, although over time something strange has happened to me, songs that were my favorites in the past, sound boring to me now  :dunno: Example, Underwater and Last Party,  Has something similar happened to you? 

It's hard to mention your favorite song from Orgin Of Love because all of them are special but my favorite ones are Stardust Step With Me Underwater Overrated Heroes Emily. I like Kids and Tah-Dah.   And almost all of the album comes out.   Orgin Of Love acoustic  version too.      :)

• Like 2

Glad to read your review! I really can't wait for you to listen to NPIH :rolleyes: please, let us know! 

About your super difficult question, I'll go with: Underwater, Origin Of Love, Heroes (my favorite in Sinfonia Pop), Tah Dah, Overrated

• Like 3

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. The first time I heard TOOL was in Milan when Mika played it to 30 lucky fans who won a secret prelistening and that´s why this album will have a special place in my heart forever. The first time I listened to the album at home I was overwhelmed but later I realised that I don´t like Make You Happy and Celebrate that much on the album, I think both songs are much better live. Kids is a song for me which I listen to and forget about it again as soon as it´s over. Tah Dah is really good and should have had a place on the album. Overrated is a different song from the demo for me, it has nothing to do with the song 2007, not the mellody and not lyricly.

And here is the thread where you can read our reactions at that time when the album came out

If you look back a few pages here in this section you can find discussions to every single song he ever released 😉

Edited by Sabine64
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My favourite tracks are Stardust, Make You Happy and Popular Song.  I disliked Make You Happy when I first heard it, I couldn't see why he would use  a vocoder when he has such a beautiful voice.  But I realised why he used this effect, and I could see how it fitted into the song, and now I love it.

Heroes is best in the symphonic version (Gemz still has this to look forward to :naughty: )

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sabine64 said:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. The first time I heard TOOL was in Milan when Mika played it to 30 lucky fans who won a secret prelistening and that´s why this album will have a special place in my heart forever. The first time I listened to the album at home I was overwhelmed but later I realised that I don´t like Make You Happy and Celebrate that much on the album, I think both songs are much better live. Kids is a song for me which I listen to and forget about it again as soon as it´s over. Tah Dah is really good and should have had a place on the album. Overrated is a different song from the demo for me, it has nothing to do with the song 2007, not the mellody and not lyricly.

And here is the thread where you can read our reactions at that time when the album came out

If you look back a few pages here in this section you can find discussions to every single song he ever released 😉

Thanks for posting this fan review thread Sabine! 😏

I have spent the past few hours reading through the whole thread and it is so nice to see so many different reactions, it seems everyone has there own favorites! I'm sure they will all change within time. I'm looking forward to reading the other discussions and also will search up threads for the reviews of Mika's other albums to see what people thought. 🧐

• Like 2

1 hour ago, silver said:

My favourite tracks are Stardust, Make You Happy and Popular Song.  I disliked Make You Happy when I first heard it, I couldn't see why he would use  a vocoder when he has such a beautiful voice.  But I realised why he used this effect, and I could see how it fitted into the song, and now I love it.

Heroes is best in the symphonic version (Gemz still has this to look forward to :naughty: )

At the moment Make You Happy is probably my least favorite Mika song but maybe I'll grow to like it like you did!

And I'm very much looking forward to listening to the symphonic album,

Is it better to get the Sinfonia Pop DVD with the two CD's or the No Place In Heaven Special Edition with the "Et L'Orchestre Symphonique De Montreal" disc? or both? 🤔

7 hours ago, Gemz said:

At the moment Make You Happy is probably my least favorite Mika song but maybe I'll grow to like it like you did!

Is it better to get the Sinfonia Pop DVD with the two CD's or the No Place In Heaven Special Edition with the "Et L'Orchestre Symphonique De Montreal" disc? or both? 🤔

I think getting both is a good idea :biggrin2:

I tend to prefer Sinfonia Pop but both are wonderful :wub2:

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Gemz said:

I have both because I love to watch the DVD and there are all Sinfonia songs on it but also the special NPIH edition is worth to have because of the other songs like Beautiful Disaster and Feels like Love.......

• Like 1

Don't like the album version of make you happy, too much computer but the text is great.  But I loved the whole album esp, underwater, origin of love, love you when I'm drunk, heroes( sadly underrated) Elle me dit and Tah Dah( would like to know more about the song's background) Celebrate was the last time I saw Mika in a German TV Show:tears:

• Like 1

On 10/9/2018 at 1:02 PM, Gemz said:

Hey everyone!

Since the first post I wrote on here just over a month ago I have been spoiled with Mika content to explore and what a wonderful time I am having! 🤩

I appreciate all the comments on the post, they made me feel very welcome 🤗

Some of you guys wanted to know my thoughts on his newer albums, well they are new to me!

So over the past few days I have been listening to The Origin Of Love album and you guys were right when you said it has a different sound but still captured Mika's style.

So the first song on the album is Origin Of Love. I like the uniqueness of this song however I would have preferred less effects on the vocals. I really the like the instrumental on this track.

Lola is next and I really like this song, it is very chill and a happy sounding song, probably one of my favorites on the album at the moment.

Stardust is a nice song, it sounds like it should be a song in the film Wreck It Ralph, does anyone else think this?  There is a brilliant remix of this song on the deluxe disc of the album also.

Make You Happy isn't my cup of tea to be honest, but I like the acoustic version on the deluxe disc.

Underwater, what a beautiful song. I already heard it from one of Mika's most recent performances and at first I thought he was gonna sing Set Fire To The Rain by Adele because the Piano sounds kinda similar at the start, definitely one of my favorites on the album.

Overrated, I heard a demo of this song from 2007 and I really liked it, this new version sounds like a club remix! I like this song but I prefer the acoustic sound of this song.

Kids, this song isn't one of my favorites, it's nice but I don't think it stands out on the album.

Love You When I'm Drunk, is a fun song, I really like the verses, the acoustic version is also great.

Step With Me, includes a unnamed female vocalist? It's a nice calm song but again not one of my favourites.

Popular Song, I was already familiar with the version he did with Ariana Grande and I never really liked that version. I actually like the one on the album better but it's weird hearing Mika rap.

Emily, I absolutely love this song, it is definitely my favorite on the album, and probably one of my favorite Mika songs at the moment. It actually made me cry 😭 because I can relate to the song even though my name isn't Emily. The french version Elle Me Dit is also nice, I might try to learn the words to improve my french.😄

Heroes, I really like the meaning of this song, I watched the track by track video with Mika talking about this song and apparently he was told not to include this song on the album, I'm glad he did because it is lyrically one of my favourites.

Celebrate, I do like this song, this song sounds like it should be on Wreck It Ralph aswell! I don't like the sound of the chorus so much but I really like the sound of the verses  and the last part of the song where he sings "I wanna go home" over the chorus. I don't like the remix of this song on the deluxe disc.

The last song I would say is Tah Dah which is on the deluxe disc, I'm confused because they could have just swapped the Make You Happy remix on the standard disc with Tah Dah.

I like the circus references, it is a solid song, perfect production. Has he performed it live? I can't find any videos on YouTube.

All the acoustic tracks on the deluxe discs are brilliant, I must admit I think Mika is the best acoustic performer I've ever heard, his voice just suits it so much and the fact that he plays the piano on the tracks aswell shows how talented he is.

Listening to this album was wonderful and has made me very excited for No Place In Heaven which I'll probably listen to next month as I'll get a copy for my birthday :D

I would love to know what you guys thought of the album when it came out and your favorite songs. I would say my Top 5 at the moment are Emily, Underwater, Tah Dah, Lola and Stardust.

I know Make You Happy isn’t super well liked but I really enjoy it, especially the version with the strings. I also really love Step With Me, both due to how sweet of songs they are. The pure love in them really makes me happy. The CD version of Overrated is nice but the symphonic is like going to another world and is probably my all time favorite Mika thing. I think Tah Dah is my favorite song on this album. It’s so loud and energetic but so cutting at the same time - the absolute perfect car Kareoke song, and in my life a song’s value as car Karoke is of utmost importance!

• Like 1