Mika at the Vanity Fair Stories Milan 24 November 2018

Gabry74

Aww, this new song sounds beautiful! :wub2: From the little snippets I heard, it sounds like it has wonderful harmonies - maybe it's a bit like Ordinary Man and Pick up off the floor, 2 of my faves... :fangurl: Let's see if it stays like this on the album, he has often changed songs from early versions to album versions.

• Like 11

VANITY FAIR

2018/11/24/mika-intervista-vanity-fair-stories-famiglia

Mika: «Quelle estati sul carro merci»

Ecco che cosa ci ha raccontato il cantautore, ospite della prima giornata del nostro festival: «Quando si fa parte di una grande famiglia tutto sembra sempre più difficile, invece poi è tutto più facile»

Mika racconta se stesso. Il cantautore, ospite della prima giornata del nostro Vanity Fair Stories, ha messo al centro il rapporto con l’Italia, il punto di partenza. Lui, nato a Beirut e cittadino del mondo, se n’è innamorato da bambino. Ben prima degli show, del successo. L’artista 35enne l’ha messo nero su bianco, e lo legge in italiano. I ricordi iniziano dalle vacanze estive in famiglia nel sud della Francia. «Partivamo da Londra, con una toyota bianca che noi chiamavamo il carro merci», racconta.

«Era più di un’auto», continua, «piena zeppa di famiglia, bagagli e un coniglio clandestino». Erano in otto, pronti per un viaggio verso il mare lungo 20 ore. Nel caso li avesse fermati la polizia, la madre aveva inventato una parola d’ordine: «Gallipoli», e quelli senza cintura si sarebbero nascosti. La paura più grande? Essere rispediti a Londra, e trascorrere l’estate con un unico menu: fish and chips. «Quando si fa parte di una grande famiglia tutto sembra sempre più difficile, invece poi è tutto più facile», ricorda il cantautore, «anche se si litiga, anche quando i soldi mancano».

Mika ricorda la madre, colei che magistralmente sapeva sempre trovare una soluzione, merito di quella ambizione sfacciata di chi è cresciuta in una vita agiata e poi ha perso tutto», che «si è sempre rifiutata di accettare la mediocrità che viene dai limiti della propria posizione sociale». Gli hotel economici lungo l’autostrada francese così erano fuori discussione: «Lei incarnava il vento, i colori, il profumo, la bellezza, indipendentemente dal poterselo permettere o meno». E dal sud della Francia, ospiti di una zia, le gite in Italia erano all’ordine del giorno.

A chiedergli oggi «Dov’è casa?», risponde: «Dove c’è la famiglia, dove c’è opportunità, dove c’è lavoro». E ancora: «Nella mia famiglia tutti si sono trasferiti. La nostra identità non è legata a un Paese. L’identità di una famiglia è quella che forma una persona. È bello far vedere un altro mondo su Instagram, controllare luci, gli angoli, i filtri, ma questo non cambia chi sei». Casa per lui, aggiunge, potrebbe essere proprio in quel «carro merci». Per un Paese in cui si crede però, bisogna essere pronti a lottare: «Quando non siamo d’accordo, non dobbiamo avere la paura di far sentire la nostra voce per difendere la casa o il posto in cui possiamo crearla». Quando sono arrivato in Italia sei anni fa, spiega ancora, «ho trovato un po’ di tutto e me ne sono innamorato: è un Paese molto complesso, ma molto molto ricco di storia, di cultura».

La conclusione della storia di Mika torna alle estati in viaggio, in famiglia: «Da casa di mia zia, Sanremo distava solo un’ora. È stata la prima città italiana che ho visitato». E lui, oggi si fa fatica a credere, «Era un 12enne un po’ goffo e sovrappeso. La cosa che più mi mancava all’epoca? Lo charme».

:uk:Google translator

Spoiler

Mika: "Those summers on the freight wagon"

Here's what the singer-songwriter told us about the first day of our festival: «When you are part of a big family everything seems increasingly difficult, but then everything is easier»

Mika tells himself. The singer-songwriter, guest of the first day of our Vanity Fair Stories, has focused on the relationship with Italy, the starting point. He, born in Beirut and a citizen of the world, fell in love with him as a child. Well before the show, of success. The 35-year-old artist put it in black and white and reads it in Italian. Memories start with family summer holidays in the south of France. "We were leaving London, with a white toyota that we called the freight wagon," he says.

"It was more than a car," he continues, "full of family, luggage and a clandestine rabbit." They were eight, ready for a 20-hour journey to the sea. If the police had stopped them, the mother had invented a password: «Gallipoli», and those without a belt would have hidden themselves. The greatest fear? Be sent back to London, and spend the summer with a single menu: fish and chips. "When you are part of a large family everything seems increasingly difficult, but then everything is easier", recalls the songwriter, "even if you argue, even when the money is missing."

Mika remembers his mother, the one who masterfully always knew how to find a solution, thanks to that shameless ambition of someone who grew up in a well-to-do life and then lost everything ", who" always refused to accept mediocrity that comes from the limits of her own social position". The cheap hotels along the French motorway were so out of the question: "You embodied the wind, the colors, the perfume, the beauty, regardless of whether you could afford it or not." And from the south of France, guests of an aunt, trips to Italy were the order of the day.

To ask him today, "Where is home?" He replies: "Where there is the family, where there is opportunity, where there is work". And again: "In my family, everyone has moved. Our identity is not linked to a country. The identity of a family is that which forms a person. It's nice to show another world on Instagram, control lights, the corners, the filters, but that does not change who you are ». House for him, he adds, could be right in that "freight wagon". For a country that believes in it, however, we must be ready to fight: "When we do not agree, we must not be afraid to make our voice heard to defend the house or the place where we can create it". When I arrived in Italy six years ago, he explains, "I found a bit of everything and I fell in love with it: it is a very complex country, but very rich in history and culture".

The conclusion of the story of Mika returns to the summers in travel, in the family: "From my aunt's house, Sanremo was only an hour away. It was the first Italian city I visited ". And he, today it is hard to believe, "He was a 12 year old, a little clumsy and overweight. The thing that I missed most at the time? The charm ».

1081019548_VF-stories(7).thumb.JPG.6d0d6fa1a380b5c90dfa173962c0cc70.JPG

1689012778_VF-stories(2).thumb.JPG.19cf598c91ac9a8816b2004830398ed7.JPG

1633251485_VF-stories(1).thumb.JPG.0c4c4f3ea7036d3c6c5e34daa54ae179.JPG

1335707094_VF-stories(3).thumb.JPG.4ad383956f13a59cb0a7eb348d6ab899.JPG

1325938716_VF-stories(4).thumb.JPG.ff883c36d4b1688a23b69810a5c2dad1.JPG

1736501090_VF-stories(5).thumb.JPG.751214b0c7e25074ea9c0a1196b50b8b.JPG

2127873009_VF-stories(6).thumb.jpg.65c7f49bb4530e46bab2c71f0b97d34e.jpg

• Thanks 7

11 minutes ago, carafon said:

You may be right …..perhaps somebody who was in could answer ???

It seems it was a different song, and none of the fans who attended the event didn't get in for the second part with the minigig, it was just for VIP. But maybe we'll find out more from IG the next days :original:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 2

hey ! for sure it isn't a new intro. i think it's a new song, you can find a few snippets on instagram if you wanna look them up. anyway, i think the first words are "blue is a feminine colour. blue is deep and bold, blue is like a mother". that's all i've got xx

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, noeetrr said:

hey ! for sure it isn't a new intro. i think it's a new song, you can find a few snippets on instagram if you wanna look them up. anyway, i think the first words are "blue is a feminine colour. blue is deep and bold, blue is like a mother". that's all i've got xx

Kind of a torture tho ……..:biggrin2::wink2:

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, noeetrr said:

i think it's a new song, you can find a few snippets on instagram if you wanna look them up. anyway,

Yes, you can watch those snippets here on the previous page, it is an unknown song indeed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

• mikaitalia

Mika ai #VanityfairAwards ieri sera! Che dite? Nuova canzone? Beh ci aveva promesso un singolo per la fine dell’anno !

Mika at #VanityfairAwards last night! What are you saying? New song? Well he promised us a single for the end of the year!

:woot_jump:

It'd make a nice Christmas single for sure! 😊

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Irem Aytepe said:

Did he say that or are you saying this? And yes, I agree with this idea. 

I said that,  not Mika. :wink2:  I write too, but poems that can be intimate, but don't hurt anyone's feelings as poems belong to a different genre as autobiographies. It's a bit like songs' lyrics. With a song or a poem you can say things in a bubble that is situated in another universe. With a biography unlike in fiction, you have to be extremely cautious of what you write. In a song, a poem, a short story or a novel, you are pretty much free...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kumazzz said:
  • mikaitalia

Mika ai #VanityfairAwards ieri sera! Che dite? Nuova canzone? Beh ci aveva promesso un singolo per la fine dell’anno !

Mika at #VanityfairAwards last night! What are you saying? New song? Well he promised us a single for the end of the year!

2 hours ago, mellody said:

It'd make a nice Christmas single for sure! 😊

:sorry:

:bow:  Forgive me please....

I was confused when the snippet was posted.... the account is a fan's, not the OFFICIAL mikaitaliaofficial account.:no:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a surprise the snippet was! :wub2: Even if it was a few seconds, the lyrics sound fascinating. The topic reminded me of Hannah Gadsby's stand-up - the one Mika recommended on Twitter some time ago - where she talks about blue, and how it is socially considered "masculine" and "rational" and how she feels it's a feminine color instead, full of contradictions for its nature: it belongs to the cold side, but actually the warmest part of the flame is blue. I don't know, I just loved it. And using a color as the subject of a song would be very interesting, with this slow melody that fits the words very well in my opinion :) can't wait to see which direction the song takes! 

• Like 10

22 minutes ago, Kumazzz said:

I was confused when the snippet was posted.... the account is a fan's, not the OFFICIAL mikaitaliaofficial account.:no:

Don't worry, I got confused first too, but then figured out that it's the same snippet from @lucianobellavita's account, they only re-posted it :wink2: 

• Like 1

I had the opportunity to paticipate at the Vanity Fair Stories and to be present at the Mika's talk. 😊

I loved the two texts he read and how he read them. ❤

It's always a pleasure hear what he has to tell and I'm very happy to be there. 😍

My pics: 

1543077793636.jpg

1543077432466.jpg

1543081227703.jpg

20181124_181449.jpg

20181124_092332(0).jpg

IMG_20181124_113200_169.jpg

20181124_181212.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

On 11/25/2018 at 8:56 AM, Kumazzz said:

Isn't it a NEW song "BLUE" ?

I've found the song named "BLUE" on the songlist of Universal Music Publishing.

I wonder if it is the song MIKA sung in those snippets... :wink2:

_20181126_183758.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 5