Sound of an Orchestra, Lyrics & Discussion

Loo

After hearing the little preview yesterday I felt very intrigued, but I also felt a big amount of happiness because of the mix of lyrics and melody and above all, Mika's voice, with the use of those ups and downs I really loved. My feeling was confirmed when I listened to the full version. I wasn't sure what to expect from the song when it was announced and it was a really nice surprise. The melody is very sweet and uplifting, it warms up my heart. It's quite clear it won't be part of the album, but I feel so excited and curious about what's in store for us with the new songs he has to share! 

Edited by sara09
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, sara09 said:

After hearing the little preview yesterday I felt very intrigued, but I also felt a big amount of happiness because of the mix of lyrics and melody and above all, Mika's voice, with the use of those ups and downs I really loved. My feeling was confirmed when I listened to the full version. I wasn't sure what to expect from the song when it was announced and it was a really nice surprise. The melody is very sweet and uplifting, it warms up my heart. It's quite clear it won't be part of the album, but I feel so excited and curious about what's in store for us with the new songs he has to share! 

yep. same here @sara09 ! :)

• Like 2

https://video.repubblica.it/spettacoli-e-cultura/sound-of-an-orchestra-mika

YouTube

https://youtu.be/MSfWBhWhmPY

29 dicembre 2018

:italia: ORIGINAL

'Sound of an Orchestra', Mika e la musica dell'amore per 'La compagnia del cigno'

"Ho voluto scrivere una canzone che parla non solo dell'amore fra due persone ma anche dell'amore per la musica, della magia dei suoni trasmessi dai gesti della persona amata". Così Mika parla di 'Sound of an orchestra' che ha scritto per 'La compagnia del cigno', serie tv in onda su Rai1 lunedì 7 e martedì 8 gennaio alle 21.25 e poi i lunedì successivi. La regia è di Ivan Cotroneo, nel cast - fra gli altri - Alessio Boni, Anna Valle, Alessandro Roia, Carlotta Natoli. 'Sound of an orchestra' è scritta da Mika con The 23rd e sarà disponibile dal 4 gennaio su tutte le piattaforme di musica digitale.

:france:transrated by @crazyaboutmika

'Sound of an Orchestra', Mika e la musica dell'amore per 'La compagnia del cigno'
"Ho voluto scrivere una canzone che parla non solo dell'amore fra due persone ma anche dell'amore per la musica, della magia dei suoni trasmessi dai gesti della persona amata". Così Mika parla di 'Sound of an orchestra' che ha scritto per 'La compagnia del cigno', serie tv in onda su Rai1 lunedì 7 e martedì 8 gennaio alle 21.25 e poi i lunedì successivi. La regia è di Ivan Cotroneo, nel cast - fra gli altri - Alessio Boni, Anna Valle, Alessandro Roia, Carlotta Natoli. 'Sound of an orchestra' è scritta da Mika con The 23rd e sarà disponibile dal 4 gennaio su tutte le piattaforme di musica digitale.
29 dicembre 2018

:uk:Google translator

'Sound of an Orchestra', Mika and the music of love for 'The company of the swan'

"I wanted to write a song that speaks not only of love between two people but also of love for music, of the magic of the sounds transmitted by the gestures of the beloved person". So Mika talks about 'Sound of an orchestra' who wrote for 'La compagnia del cigno', a TV series broadcast on Rai1 on Monday 7 and Tuesday 8 January at 21.25 and then on the following Mondays. The direction is by Ivan Cotroneo, in the cast - among others - Alessio Boni, Anna Valle, Alessandro Roia, Carlotta Natoli. 'Sound of an orchestra' is written by Mika with The 23rd and will be available from January 4th on all digital music platforms.

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I love it. It's not my fave Mika song, at least not yet (My now fave Love Today was one of my least faves on LICM at first... :teehee:). But the sound of it is surprising, the registers of his voice he uses, the combination of orchestra sound, pop and a somewhat electronic sound in "it's getting louder" - but that's also my least favourite part of the song. It feels like a tiny bit is missing, like it builds up and then you think "but when's the part where it gets *really* interesting?" You know, like the "walk out the door!" in GK. Hard to describe. Not every song has that little extra, but in most I don't miss it - in this one, I do. Probably because it's interesting enough to make me expect something like that.

Anyway, SOAO is catchy, I enjoy listening to it, and I'd love to hear it live - though I suppose I won't, as it's pretty hard to sing with all those registers, he might not be keen on trying that live. :naughty:

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, mellody said:

and a somewhat electronic sound in "it's getting louder" - but that's also my least favourite part of the song. It feels like a tiny bit is missing, like it builds up and then you think "but when's the part where it gets *really* interesting?"

Not every song has that little extra, but in most I don't miss it - in this one, I do. Probably because it's interesting enough to make me expect something like that.

I completely agree with you, especially with this part, I have exactly the same feelings. :thumb_yello:

Edited by giraffeandy
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Kumazzz said:

https://video.repubblica.it/spettacoli-e-cultura/sound-of-an-orchestra-mika

YouTube

https://youtu.be/MSfWBhWhmPY

29 dicembre 2018

:italia: ORIGINAL

"Ho voluto scrivere una canzone che parla non solo dell'amore fra due persone ma anche dell'amore per la musica, della magia dei suoni trasmessi dai gesti della persona amata". Così Mika parla di 'Sound of an orchestra' che ha scritto per 'La compagnia del cigno', serie tv in onda su Rai1 lunedì 7 e martedì 8 gennaio alle 21.25 e poi i lunedì successivi. La regia è di Ivan Cotroneo, nel cast - fra gli altri - Alessio Boni, Anna Valle, Alessandro Roia, Carlotta Natoli. 'Sound of an orchestra' è scritta da Mika con The 23rd e sarà disponibile dal 4 gennaio su tutte le piattaforme di musica digitale.

:france:transrated by @crazyaboutmika

"Ho voluto scrivere una canzone che parla non solo dell'amore fra due persone ma anche dell'amore per la musica, della magia dei suoni trasmessi dai gesti della persona amata". Così Mika parla di 'Sound of an orchestra' che ha scritto per 'La compagnia del cigno', serie tv in onda su Rai1 lunedì 7 e martedì 8 gennaio alle 21.25 e poi i lunedì successivi. La regia è di Ivan Cotroneo, nel cast - fra gli altri - Alessio Boni, Anna Valle, Alessandro Roia, Carlotta Natoli. 'Sound of an orchestra' è scritta da Mika con The 23rd e sarà disponibile dal 4 gennaio su tutte le piattaforme di musica digitale.
29 dicembre 2018

:uk:Google translator

'Sound of an Orchestra', Mika and the music of love for 'The company of the swan'

"I wanted to write a song that speaks not only of love between two people but also of love for music, of the magic of the sounds transmitted by the gestures of the beloved person". So Mika talks about 'Sound of an orchestra' who wrote for 'La compagnia del cigno', a TV series broadcast on Rai1 on Monday 7 and Tuesday 8 January at 21.25 and then on the following Mondays. The direction is by Ivan Cotroneo, in the cast - among others - Alessio Boni, Anna Valle, Alessandro Roia, Carlotta Natoli. 'Sound of an orchestra' is written by Mika with The 23rd and will be available from January 4th on all digital music platforms.

I translated it from Italian to English and to French

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What we have discovered today only confirms what I have been thinking for a long time. The Mika sound exists now. It is made of various inspirations, Queen, lyrical or other, but Mika really has her own style and it never happens without talent !

2rz.PNG.893d2dbba8d0277141a77af84703f8b7.PNG

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Loo said:

I knew you were perfectly bilingual.  :wink2:
 But from the first listening and knowing that Mika said it's a love song and that he wasn't sure the radios would want to play his album, I really saw the hidden meaning of the first verse.

"Mika is not always into "hot stuff" and slang."
On the other hand for that... I think it's true for Michael; but for Mika, I think it's false!

But that's just my opinion.  :bleh:

I think you are a naughty girl because playing music does involve hands and clarinet doesn't it? :bleh: Of course there can always be a double meaning... I had a tiny doubt too for a second  but I don't want to get sent to the Naughty Corner :floor: Some of us did once while discussing the green bean in Boum Boum Boum long ago...

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

I'm in love with this song ❤️ I love the lyrics and think it works more than perfectly as a soundtrack for a story that tells about young musicians but also as an independent song. I love the way he's using his voice, really love it, and I'm surprised people describe this song simple, for me it sounds very complicated to sing. There are also many details in it and that's something I don't connect with simplicity (which I wouldn't mind because I find simple and simplicity very positive words). I assume this song tells nothing about the album yet but they definitely should add it to at least some versions of it. It seems like a separate project written for his friend but as everything around the song is in Italian I might have missed something he says. Anyway, so happy he has released new music and been listening to this non-stop almost two days now. 

• Like 18

I've only been able to listen to it two times so far (family starts complaining if I play songs on repeat :P ) but I really like it so far! I love the lyrics, I'm always a fan of songs that talk about music or have musical metaphors. :)

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I gave myself a day to calm down and think it through and I still love it as much as I loved it yesterday! 😁

I love the playful beginning. I love the switch between 'pop' and full orchestra sound. I love his voice. That low 'for you' sends shivers down my spine. I'm really in love with the lyrics, such a cool way to describe love and emotions with music! I guess only a musician could have an idea to write a love song like that! Although he did say that it's also about love for music, didn't he? 

Also, Mika's doing an awesome job writing music for movies, I think. The song is such a perfect soundtrack for those series, considering its main theme. Didn't he mention writing music for musicals one day? 

• Like 10

I love the song! I love the orchestra, the way Mika's voice changes ... I wouldn't associate it with the word "simple" either, it actually took me a few listens to be able to decide how I felt about it. Even if it may not be on the new album or representative of its sound, this song sounds very "Mika" to me. I'm sure I'll have it on repeat for a while! :wub2:

• Like 4

Is there any place where we discuss the commercial performance of singles to see how they are doing in charts (well, if there are in)

May be we can note the evolution of streams on spotify, I would love to have the informations about 'it's my house" to compare, to me this song is doing better I guess

Day 1: on spotify : 142 217

The song didn't manage to reach the top 50 in Italy (the lowest number of streams was 30 000, and the highest more than 600 000 fedez for a song released the same day)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

I think you are a naughty girl because playing music does involve hands and clarinet doesn't it? :bleh: Of course there can always be a double meaning... I had a tiny doubt too for a second  but I don't want to get sent to the Naughty Corner :floor: Some of us did once while discussing the green bean in Boum Boum Boum long ago...

I'm taking a slight risk to avoid the naughty corner (anyway, it's Mika who will go).
But for me, the double meaning is obvious with these words:

"you lower your hand clarinet will play

raise it back up

and it flies away

when you move your legs a timpany will roar

comes down really close

hold me like you do

this is the sound of my love for you."

I concede that the rest is a beautiful song of love and love of music!

Edited by Loo
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Amy hudsone said:

Is there any place where we discuss the commercial performance of singles to see how they are doing in charts (well, if there are in)

May be we can note the evolution of streams on spotify, I would love to have the informations about 'it's my house" to compare, to me this song is doing better I guess

The song didn't manage to reach the top 50 in Italy (the lowest number of streams was 30 000, and the highest more than 600 000 fedez for a song released the same day)

how can you see the daily streams or better the streams at all please?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Amy hudsone said:

just to rectify it's not among the top 200 in italy on spotify :blink::dunno:

12 minutes ago, Amy hudsone said:

here, you can choose the country, daily or weekly charts

https://spotifycharts.com/regional/it/daily/latest

and for the streams of the song I see them directly from spotify on my computer 

thank you I just found it thanks to you. Also in Germany it isn´t in the Top 200. But to say the truth Spotify isn´t that important for me even I stream the song all day here. I still like to buy the songs as often as I can but it´s not enough to bring him back to Germany :tears:

Edited by Sabine64

On 1/4/2019 at 4:15 AM, giraffeandy said:

My impression after hearing the whole song for the first time – it sounds much better than I expected! Don't get me wrong, the snippet I've heard before wasn't bad but tbh, I wasn't that excited, idk why but it felt quite generic to me. However, I absolutely love the beginning of the song, the verses are even better than the chorus imo. Especially the very beginning (intro and first verses) is amazing.:wub2:

Btw, I wonder if the New Music Friday playlist on Spotify is personalized? I know Release Radar is but I thought NMF isn't and that it just depends on the country. Just because I found there Sound Of An Orchestra on 12th spot.

And do you see the song on youtube? I saw on Twitter some screenshots from Mika's channel with the song but I don't have it on YT, it's probably only in Italy... EDIT: I even found the YT link but the video doesn't work for me... 

:no:

It was the same for me. Tried playing it but it kept saying video not available. And we don't have Spotify in Pakistan -_-

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Loo said:

I'm taking a slight risk to avoid the naughty corner (anyway, it's Mika who will go).

raise it back up

and it flies away

comes down really close

hold me like you do

:arf2:

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, crazyaboutmika said:

OK, but he could have mentioned accordion, wich is also an musical instrument. However, he chose the clarinet … 

Do I go to the Naughty corner right now or do I wait a little while ?       :dunno:   :lmao:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Menahyl said:

It was the same for me. Tried playing it but it kept saying video not available. And we don't have Spotify in Pakistan -_-

Same here. I live in Cote d'Ivoire and YouTube video is 'not available' although I can watch and have been able to watch all the other stuff on his YouTube channel. And no Spotify here either. Deezer is the only one working for me. 

4 hours ago, Loo said:

raise it back up

and it flies away

comes down really close

hold me like you do

I have a conductor in mind for the clarinet / hand part, and stomping feet for the timpany. I know Mika is the king of innuendos, but this connection you make is too explicit, in my opinion, it goes too much into detail to be on purpose, if you know what I mean. :mf_rosetinted:

Of course I can't be 100% sure, but well... in case you're right, we'll never know anyway, as I guess he won't talk about that in an interview. :mf_rosetinted:

• Like 5