Favorite song from each album?

ElizaWilson

*mods, feel free to lock this thread if there's already one for it* 

Hello! I'd like to know, what's your favorite song from each album that Mika's produced? I'll start:

LICM: Any Other World

TBWKTM: Lover Boy

SFS EP: Lady Jane

TOoL: Lola

NPIH: Oh Girl, You're The Devil

Honorable mentions: Stuck in the Middle, I See You, Blue Eyes, Elle Me Dit, Last Party

And, I must say, Sound of an Orchestra is very nice as well. 

mikmikmikmikmikaaa.png

• Like 7

Tbh for me it's impossible to choose, it depends on the mood... Also it's hard for me to choose just one because I often have one favourite upbeat song and one ballade on each album. And it changes everytime. :biggrin2:

• Like 4

• silver locked this topic
  • silver unlocked this topic

I like your list Eliza! I agree with the others on here though, my opinion changes over time, I've only been listening to Mika's last three albums since September last year so my opinions are changing all the time, I think I need to update my siggy :lol3:

• Like 4

Like the others said, in some moments I may listen more to certain songs than others, so it changes, but I tried to make a list of songs that tend to always be there. Consider that I have more favorites for each album, but here's my "can't live without" list :D

LICM: Billy Brown

TBWKTM: We Are Golden

SFS: Toy Boy

TOOL: Origin Of Love / Underwater

NPIH: Good Guys / Good Wife

Edited by sara09
  • Like 5

@sara09 ooh yours are good too!

• Like 3

Just now, sara09 said:

Let's say it's impossible to make a bad list when it comes to Mika's songs :naughty: 

it's true, hehe.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2019 at 6:17 PM, Dominika said:

Oh girl, you are asking for impossible! :biggrin2: Just like my previous commentators - depends on the day and mood :wink2:

:yeah:

I'll try but it's so hard to chose just one :aah: except for the next album :teehee:

LICM: Relax

TBWKTM: Good Gone Girl

SFS: Lonely Alcoholic

TOOL: Origin of Love

NPIH: Good Wife

New album: Sound of an Orchestra

MNIMH: Tomorrow :swoon:

Edited by crazyaboutmika
  • Like 3

As many of you said, It is not possible to choose only one of each album but I will make a big effort :sweatdrop:

LICM - Stuck In The Middle

TBWKTM . Blue Eyes

SFS - Toy Boy

TOOL - Underwater

NPIH - No Place In Heaven

Edited by Mikasister
  • Like 3

I am terrible with favourites. Picking out my favourite song, Mika song, book, movie, food etc. is a sure way to give myself an existential crisis. But I do have a favourites list for a single day. I listened to LICM all day long. For tomorrow, I am feeling like: Over My Shoulder, Lover Boy, Lady Jane, Origin Of Love, No Place In Heaven

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Menahyl said:

I am terrible with favourites. Picking out my favourite song, Mika song, book, movie, food etc. is a sure way to give myself an existential crisis. But I do have a favourites list for a single day. I listened to LICM all day long. For tomorrow, I am feeling like: Over My Shoulder, Lover Boy, Lady Jane, Origin Of Love, No Place In Heaven

And do I even need to mention SOAO? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I know it's been a year since the last post in here but shush

So, as has been noted before, picking one favorite per album is basically impossible - but I sure can try. Cheated a little by giving reasons for more than one song per album sometimes, but I did pick only one song per album officially, so... that counts, right? Right.

LICM: My Interpretation
That rising melody of the "I don't need an alibi" bit is entirely too pretty - it's just such an absolutely timeless song. My favorite recording of it would have to be the Napster Live Session one: Just one guy and one piano, and 2:46 minutes of simple, acoustic beauty. Also, I don't care about how technically skilled he is, I really adore his piano playing.

TBWKTM: Toy Boy

Also the entire rest of the album. I'm pretty sure six of the songs from this one are on my personal favorites list, and We Are Golden, Rain and Toy Boy share my personal top spot on this album, with Blame It On The Girls not far behind. Going for Toy Boy anyway, because I think it was the first explicitly gay mainstream song I've ever heard, and it's just so totally unique and stunning - a song like the world's saddest porcelain doll. 

TOOL: Underwater

... unless we're counting single performances, in which case it's this one terrifyingly intense rendition of Make You Happy:

But generally speaking, yeah, Underwater. It's got such a floaty vibe to it, and it was a personal favorite of mine for many years.

NPIH: Boum Boum Boum

It's so oddly un-Mika-ish, and yet such an absolute joy to listen to, and pretty high up on my list of all-time favorites. So much more commercial-sounding at the surface, and yet so genuinely, incredibly fun and playful - and it still never quite fits in and I've never heard anything quite like it. As much as I enjoy Mika's vocal acrobatics, it's fun to hear him calm down a little - he sounds adorable in this. Also, I love the video - for somebody who said he can't act, seeing Mika act a little sure is fun. Plus, I'm a bit of a film nerd, so seeing Lawrence Of Arabia in there in particular made me smile. And, last but not least, the fact that this song shows up everywhere amuses me endlessly. There's an orchestral version of a pop ditty about doing the do in odd places, for crying out loud. That's hilarious. Not to mention his little concert routine for this song, which is also an absolutely lovely little gem. So, yes. Amazing, fun, joyful song that just flat-out makes me happy.

MNIMH: Sanremo

This one's a tie between Ice Cream, Dear Jealousy and Sanremo, actually, but I figured I might as well pick the one that's most meaningful to me. Besides, I picked The Horny Song on the last album already, so I don't need to choose Ice Cream this time - though I was tempted to, because the gleeful sexuality of it is just so fun, but it's also really evocative of just... frickin melting (hornily, lol) during a hot summer day. Dear Jealousy is just absolutely hypnotic, so that would have been another good pick... but nope, Sanremo it is. A place in Italy standing in for nostalgia-tinged, unfulfillable desires, that entire concept of a place only existing in memories, that really resonates with me. Especially one in Italy, which, to me as a child, was the only place truly worth living in... AND the video was filmed in Croatia - the only place truly worth living in according to me as a young teenager. So, places of melancholy and unfulfilled desires indeed. And on top of THAT whole bundle of things that touch me personally, there's the video and its focus on historical homosexuality and it's heartbreaking and beautiful, and thus my pick for this album. I probably would've more clever things to say about this one, but I'm falling asleep over here and gotta get the post done, lol.

/EDIT: ah yes, also, once again: seeing Mika act is really fun.

Edited by rusted.laurels
  • Like 4